[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graduating college soon and looking to get a new best bro. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: doggo.jpg (11KB, 236x333px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
11KB, 236x333px
Graduating college soon and looking to get a new best bro. I have a couple of months to get everything I need ready, so I wont be rushing into this. I had a dog for 20 years who passed away a couple of years ago and I think I'm ready for a new bro.

With that said, how does one go about finding one? Last couple of pets I've had have been rescue animals and now I want something more specific, but I'm not sure what exactly.

Standard size, big enough to go on hiking runs as I am very active, and big enough to guard a house when I move into my new place alone.

Craigslist is full of breeders that scare me and shelters dont really have any breeds that interest me in particular nor puppies for the most part. Any ideas?
>>
Have you done any research on breeds? You've got very energetic dogs like border collies and huskies for hiking. If you're experienced enough GSDs are good for guarding and have energy, and there are also boxers. Use the adoption search sites to see if they have any breeds you choose after deciding on the breed. Google guard dogs or for hiking and read up on it yourself to see what you think will best fit.

https://www.petfinder.com/
http://www.petharbor.com/
>>
>>2177740
I have done very little, I was waiting for some guidance since there are so many breeds. Reading about some of the ones I know about its a bit scary as people keep talking about breeds that have health problems despite them being the most popular dogs Ive seen.

I also don't want to pay a ton for a dog as I would rather have money to do things with my bro. I have no idea what a "good" price is, online I get incredibly variability from %500-$3,000 for golden retrievers and such.

I'm going to spend the rest of the day researching and going through those link, thank you anon
>>
>>2177746
I got a registered purebred puppy from a local breeder who's dogs are known to go to many different organizations as service dogs for hospitals and disabled veterans. And my puppy was $300, and has been amazing.

Make sure you actually see the dogs and preferably the parents if possible, as they'll give you a good idea of what your dog will be.
I spent $300 for my dog, and there are people spending $1000-2000 for dogs because they assume the more it is the better it is automatically.
Don't assume that a cheap puppy is somehow lesser, every dog is different and the best dog in the world for you could be a super cheap mutt or a stray you adopted for free.
>>
>>2177746
Dogs from breeders are more likely to have less certain health issues since they're trying to breed them out but of course they're expensive. Mixed mutts can also have good health though without knowing their history you can never be completely sure. Its still a good idea to do research on a breed even if they're a mix just to know what you're getting into. I adopted a husky mix earlier this year and she's been great accompanying me on hiking but I wouldn't trust her to be off leash because I read they're more stubborn when it comes to recall training and I'd rather not risk her safety, but huskies are very friendly and wouldn't make good guard dogs. All I can say is good luck on finding your bro, you don't have to pay a ton of money to find one.
>>
File: Snapchat-9128969672343407887.jpg (767KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-9128969672343407887.jpg
767KB, 1440x2392px
Like >>2177740 said, petfinder.com is awesome and I found pic related (Amos the black Newfie mix) on adoptapet.com just 40 minutes away from me which was totally worth it for an awesome buddy. The brown one, Reptar, we picked at a humane society. Both had a few issues from being neglected that have now settled. A shelter mutt is totally worth it, OP.
I posted this on another thread, but be careful of the breed they label them as, they may be something completely different, but that's the fun gamble you take with any cute mutt.
>>
>OP isn't rushing into dog ownership by selecting a breed arbitrarily based on looks.
do you even /an/ bro?

But is a refreshing change
>>
>>2177895
They look like cuties
>>
File: 20160727_163626_HDR-1-1.jpg (931KB, 1921x2535px) Image search: [Google]
20160727_163626_HDR-1-1.jpg
931KB, 1921x2535px
>>2178006
don't get me started
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.