[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That time of year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: _20160727_041110.jpg (3MB, 4620x2758px) Image search: [Google]
_20160727_041110.jpg
3MB, 4620x2758px
Saw this guy crossing the road about a 1/4 mile down from my driveway. Ran up to find it before it got into my forest. I'm not in the mood for a pregnant rattler to give birth to 30 baby's- too dangerous. Neighbor has lost a couple hunting dogs this year to rattlesnakes.
>>
Get fucked.

C. horridus is more important to the earth than you ever will be.

>I'm not in the mood for an animal to live and procreate in its natural habitat that I encroached on
>>
>>2177410
Lol.

State report says theres a massive rise in poisonous snake population due to people collecting kingsnakes for pets.
I have diamondback and timber rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths and coral snakes.
Along with kingsnakes, corn snakes, mud snakes, rat snakes, racers- the list goes on.
I only kill rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths.

You'd feel a lot different if you had someone in the yard that you loved and these guys were crawling around.

Or are you part of that group that petitioned to save that pit bulls life after it mauled its owners infant to death?
>>
File: _20160727_161733.jpg (811KB, 3946x1564px) Image search: [Google]
_20160727_161733.jpg
811KB, 3946x1564px
>>2177410
I wasn't going to post this, but your reply was so bait heavy that I figured you really wanted to see it.
Same rattler, after meeting a .40 cal head on.
>>
>>2177486
>poisonous

Marvellous, you're an inbred hick who shoots anything that breathes AND you're a moron. No surprise there.

I suppose you shoot every dog you see? After all, they kill about 30 times more people than rattlers do. I suppose you petition every office building in your city to remove vending machines from their premises? After all, they tip over and kill more people per year than venomous snakes.

You're yet another trigger happy southern redneck sociopath who is giddy at the idea of killing anything you can get your hands on. I'm sure you believe snakes will chase you and your family and your dog, snapping at your ankles the whole way. I'm sure you believe they're out to get you. I'm sure you have no idea that 90% of venomous snake bites in the US is on the hands and fingers of young, white males. I wonder why that is?
>>
It wasn't pregnant. If it was then killing it isn't going to do shit. Timbers give birth in the spring at a den that hundreds of rattlers travel to. Either that was a lone rattler that wasn't pregnant or you live next to a den in which case if you want to protect your kid your only option is to move out.
>>
This is a nice and relaxing thread filled with calm anons
>>
>>2177518
I was born and raised in San Diego, so your "redneck" observation is amusing.
Rattlesnakes kill a lot of pets out here- I guess you missed that fact.
But go ahead and coddle dangerous animals in your front yard.
Post your address and I'll let the local society's know your willing to relocate poisonous snakes to your property- perhaps you have enough room for alligators also.
>>2177519
>"...Timber rattlesnakes give birth to live young from August to October with most births occurring between late August and early September.."
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 640x1010px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 640x1010px
>>2177486
Retard snakes a venomous not, "poisonous".
>>
>>2177112
Op, rattlers are like bees. If you leave them alone, they leave you alone. The dogs probably deserved it for trying to eat them!
>>
>>2177527
Actually, I would be willing to let the governement relocate rattlers to my property

you have to either be deaf or really stupid to get bitten by one

also my Dog stays away from snakes, because I taught her to
>>
>>2177528
You're struggling to shit post, is that the best you have?
>>2177518
>giddy at the idea of killing anything you can get your hands on.
Quite the opposite.
I don't hunt, even though I have deer, turkey, fox, rabbit, quail, dove etc etc on my property.

It wasa difficult choice for me to decide that I would kill all rattlesnake, copperheads and cottonmouths that I found out here.
I do not regret my decision.
I pay a penance every time.

>What if my friends 3 year old was out here for a bar b que and got bit?
>What if my elderly grandmother came to visit and stepped on one at night when she walked out to her car?

I live in the real world.

Its my responsibility to protect those I care about.
>>
>>2177538
Theres a mutated gene that is producing rattle less rattlesnakes now BTW.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 320x371px
>>2177541
In the past 100 years in the us, 4 kids died by snakebite. They were kids whose millennial parents did not pay attention when their kid was playing with a snake. No attacks were instigated by the snake and the parents did not see the attack, with the exception of one attack in the 40s. If the three year old is but is is probably his or his parents fault.
>>
>>2177566
Congrats.
Now go look up how many people have lost fingers, hands, etc from rattlesnake bites.
Fatalitys are rare.
Disfigurement is common.

But that's no big deal right?
>>
>>2177566
BTW, my neighbor lost 4 dogs this month.
Is that in your statistics?
>>
>>2177566
>According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, of the 7,000 to 8,000 people bitten by venomous snakes in the U.S. every year, only 5 die.

With over half of those being permanently disfigured.
>>
>>2177568
You don't loose fingers and hands from a rattlesnake. They inject their fangs in you, it is not meant for tearing flesh. An you don't need to cut a finger off for antivenim to work. Sheesh, you get so defensive and angry. It is like you browse r9k.
>>
>>2177581
Oh never mind, I saw the post above mine. I guess they are disfigured but not dead, right sempi? I'm leaving this thread so no need to reply btw.
>>
>>2177581
They don't bite off fingers and hands.
Their venom destroys muscle tissue and causes permanent muscle loss/disfigurement, often leading to amputations.
>>
>>2177582
Fuck your rules

>>2177570
>my neighbor lost 4 dogs this month
Jesus, how many dogs does your fucking neighbor own? If it's for hunting, sure, but the owner should've been more aware of snakes after the first death and/or should've trained the other dogs to avoid snakes in general. But allowing 4 to die is just bad ownership.
>>
>>2177542
there is one rattleless ratllesnake species, I´ve never heard of any other insatnces where any of the other species were lacking a rattle

Well, maybe the occasional genetic defect here and there
>>
>>2177494
>implying I'm the one baiting
>implying posting a protected species with its head deliberately blown apart to /an/ isn't bait
>>
>>2177632
Its not federally protected.
I also have the right to kill dangerous animals on my property that are a threat to myself or livestock.
>>
>>2177640

So why don't you shoot dogs? I'm still waiting on your reason for not shooting objectively deadlier animals. Because they're cute, right?
>>
>>2177632
https://www.syfert.com/gacode/27-1-28.html
>>
>>2177640
Not listed as threatened or endangered
https://www.fws.gov/athens/endangered/teherps.html
>>
>>2177649
Nope.
I would gladly shoot feral dogs.
They're as dangerous as anything else out here.
>>
Its one thing to respect wildlife and enjoy their natural beauty.
But when you get to the point that an animal's life matters more than its potential threat to yourself, a loved one or even a pet- it shows you've left reality.

We're back to the bowl of M&M's.
Only one in the whole bowl is poisoned- would you let your child eat any of them?
99.9% chance nothing will happen...
>>
>>2177675
The poisonous M&M makes an extremely loud noise when you approach it, so you just turn around and walk away.

Is that so hard?
>>
>>2177702
Already discussed the fact that timber rattlers now have a mutation where some individuals do not grow rattles.
I've seen one this season (out of 6).

And what about copperheads and cottonmouths?
Do you think they'll bark when you get close?
>>
>itt everyone is an idiot
ugh this is so pointless, people. shut up.
>>
>>2177518
>I'm sure you have no idea that 90% of venomous snake bites in the US is on the hands and fingers of young, white males. I wonder why that is?

I'm actually curious why you think that is.
>>
>>2177899
>Already discussed the fact that timber rattlers now have a mutation where some individuals do not grow rattles.
Which is successful and becoming prevalent because retards kill the ones that rattle.
>>
>>2177940
If there's 8,000 bites a year from poisonous snakes (according to CDC.gov)- how many would there be if retards weren't out killing a gazillion snakes?

This thread is like the average sjw sitting on a leather couch and eating a burger and complaining about how the hunter who takes his 1 deer a year is a murderer.

Should this board name be changed to "fluffy kitty's and rescued baby seals"?
>>
>>2177518
>snapping at your ankles the whole way
Venomous snakes are ambush predators, they CAN be fast in their element but their true strength is their ability to camouflage and wait for something to get close, thats exactly why they have sharp venom injectors and not lion maws

Ambush is what happens to peoples pets and kids when snakes start getting too close to human nests, Ive literally had rattlesnakes crawl right into the backyard of my suburban neighborhood

Seriously when did humans stop being animals to you guys? Are we not allowed to protect ourselves as much as they are?

This whole thread reeks of bait so I guess good job riling up a bunch of people
>>
File: _20160607_231431.jpg (1MB, 2814x1534px) Image search: [Google]
_20160607_231431.jpg
1MB, 2814x1534px
>>2177952
I honestly thought it was just a cool pic to post. I didn't realize this board was somewhere between /mlp/ and /c/.
>>
>>2177542
Doesn't really matter in this case anyway. Timbers are shy to rattle and usually wait until they absolutely know you know they're there before they do.
>>
>>2177949
99.9% of snakes I've seen killed were non venomous and If there were a statistic for it then I guarantee it would reflect something similar.

So to answer your question, a lot less than their are now.
>>
Obviously no one is going to change your mind. I love snakes and have a huge passion for them, and it hurts to see stuff like this. It's hard to accept for me, but because these animals are potentially dangerous (as are PLENTY of animals, by the way) it's generally accepted that they are okay to kill and people are even proud and gleeful to do so.

I just think you misunderstand how little of a threat they are if they are just left alone. You said yourself they are shy. You said yourself this one wasn't even on your property, you actively chased it down and killed it while it was nowhere near you or your house. Snakes do not and will not ever go out of their way to attack or chase anyone.

But I realize this will never change your mind and it's hard for me to swallow, but I have to just live with the knowledge that you and thousands of people kill these very beautiful animals because of a very small chance of potential danger. >>2177963 is seriously gorgeous, and it's so sad to know you'd hack it apart on the spot instead of just walking away.

>>2177934
This is the demographic most likely to approach and harass a snake. The bites are so often to the hands and fingers because they are trying to pick it up or kill it. Surprise bites to an unsuspecting passerby are so extremely minimal in comparison.
>>
>>2177949
>If there's 8,000 bites a year from poisonous snakes (according to CDC.gov)- how many would there be if retards weren't out killing a gazillion snakes?
Probably a whole lot less. Most venomous bites come from idiots trying to kill them, and would never have happened if the snake had just been left alone.

If magically everyone in the US just started ignoring venomous snakes and just avoided them when seen, the amount of bites would plummet.
>>
File: 2880958408_3e9c7bf72f_b.jpg (285KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
2880958408_3e9c7bf72f_b.jpg
285KB, 1024x683px
Taking this opportunity to share a video that soundly debunks the myths following cottonmouths (that they are aggressive, that they will chase you, etc.)

https://youtu.be/314N7xIeRR8

The man stomps his fucking boot all around the snake, and it literally takes him placing his boot inside its mouth to get it to bite.

I'll give a $100 to anyone that can show me a video of a cottonmouth actually chasing someone like they are supposedly infamous for.
>>
>>2178018
Actually, it crossed the road and came onto my property.
I caught up to it before it got into my overgrowth.

I used to breed California kingsnakes and rosy boas (both deserts and coastals). I love snakes myself. I've pulled 3 ratsnakes out of my friends chicken coup and released them on my property.
So far I've seen out here I've seen kingsnakes (one male was the largest I've ever seen), mud snake, (friendly guy- looked him up and saw he ate amphibians so took him down to the creek- let him go and he came back up and crawled around my feet for awhile), corn snake (pulled over and found a stick real fast to get him off the road and on his way away from traffic) even an eastern crown snake that's smaller than some Nightcrawler's I've used for bait (and it was an adult- looked it up, they eat termites and centipedes and sightings are extremely rare).

So this isn't about killing snakes because its a snake.
Its about protecting family, friends and pets.

Look again at the second picture I posted.
Imagine how big that snake really is.
Would you honestly want it in your front yard?
And don't give me that crap about they avoid humans/areas where humans are active. I got one a couple months ago that was closer to my house than where I park, right before sunset.

BTW, the night I found the Pepsi rattler, I found a second almost as large at the end of my driveway later that night. It had its head run over but was still alive, but suffering. I quickly dispatched it.
A week ago I found yet another on the road (head had also been run over but it was quite dead).

I haven't seen any rattler less than 3 1/2 foot. There is no shortage around here. Theres a reason its open season on them per:
>>2177650
>>
File: _20160729_003737.jpg (1MB, 4018x1180px) Image search: [Google]
_20160729_003737.jpg
1MB, 4018x1180px
>>2178041
The corn I found, was an excellent specimen.
Would have liked to bring it back to the property and had it roaming around here, but it was late at night and I had nothing to put it in. I was more worried about getting it off the road to safety than catching it.
>>
Too insignificant of a threat to warrant killing an animal that isn't even near you're property. Let's at least acknowledge that killing this animal gave you some sort of gratification other then "protecting my loved ones".
>>
>>2178018
>This is the demographic most likely to approach and harass a snake

That would be the demographic most likely to own a snake as a pet.

A little similar gun ownership, they're more likely to get bit if they own one of the damn things.
>>
>>2178049
almost none of the bites from venomous snakes in the US come from captive snakes.

the victim is usually drunk, under the age of 30, and quite white.

not to say everyone that fits that description is an idiot, but hey, I've been there. I know.
>>
>>2178041
so what make you think the animals and nature board is the place to post about killing animals and destroying nature?

are you just stupid or are you mean too?
>>
>>2178047
Not at all.
He was a beautiful creature.
We had a staring contest for the good part of an hour.
I debated what to do over and over.
But it all came down to "what are the possible outcomes if I let it crawl away".

Considering how small a rattlesnakes range is- he would always be in the neighborhood.

Do you have a cat or puppy?
Does anybody visit your house with children?

Why would anyone take that chance?

And I've repeatedly said that he was on my property. Its not like I went hiking through a forest looking for a den to pull them out of, or even actively hunting them.

>>2178054
So are hunters not welcome here?
>>
>>2178054
OP's post is nature in action, humans are animals just as much as the snake and if an animal feels threatened then shouldn't it act under instinct?
>>
>>2178018
BTW, he didn't get hacked apart.
I'm surprised I was able to get such a clean head shot.
He's in my freezer and will be skinned and used.
Since I have 4 nice sized timbers and a copperhead in there, I might make a jacket.
Will probably need some filler though since snake hides don't flex well. I have some caiman hides I can use with it around high flex areas, might look cool. And I'll probably overlay the snake hides onto another leather to reinforce it. I have some kangaroo pelts that are amazingly supple that I think will work well.
>>
>>2178063
You're always taking chances. Even if you're not aware of all the dangers. if you were to rank potential dangers based on their risk to you or any of you're family rattlesnakes would be near the bottom. You're own dog is probably a greater risk to children along with a whole list of other more significant dangers. Also how does killing this one snake insure you're safety from a highly unlikely attack? Its even more of a logical leap to think offing a snake or two improves anyone's safety in event of a very unlikely occurrence. Energy and time better spent in the name of prevention elsewhere.
>>
>>2178088
But wouldn't you want to remove any and all risks possible?
I always wear my seatbelt.
I always use a properly grounded electrical plug.

Why is removing any one danger not worth the effort?

Will there be more rattlesnakes? Yep.
Do I need continue being vigilante? Yep.

I'm not going to play Russian roulette with 6 chambers loaded.

I'm going to empty as many as possible. I may never make it down to zero- but I'm going to do my best to minimize ALL potential threats.

If it was just me, I probably would have let it go on its way.
But this isn't about me.
Its about those that rely on me for their safety.
>>
>>2178063
You keep talking about "what if" and the chances of you or someone being bitten, and like I said, I don't think you realize how infinitely small that chance is. This is an animal that warns you loudly when you are close and are typically reluctant to bite. Agkistrodon will attempt to flee or bluff long before attempting to bite.

You are literally thousands of times more likely to be killed driving to work, walking down the street, even just spending a day at home. Your own dog (no, not a feral dog) is more likely to kill a toddler than a rattlesnake. You refuse to accept that. If you seriously cared about the "what ifs", you'd eliminate all dogs from your property. You'd eliminate all trees from your yard. You'd never place your child in a bathtub. You'd never go to the dentist or a hospital. You wouldn't keep a gun in your house.

You're killing native animals under the guise of "what if" when you comfortably live alongside hundreds of other preventable dangers every day. You are the reason this planet is wasting away.
>>
>>2178102

Now this is hilarious.
Ever heard of hantavirus bro? http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/hps/transmission.html

You are increasing your risk of contracting it with every snake you kill. Hantavirus contracted though rodent droppings kills more people per year than snakes.

There's nothing more to say. You can pretend you're some neighborhood savior and hero of small children by slaughtering native species indiscriminately. But in reality, you're just raising the chances of an already more probable cause of death.

If you truly, actually cared about safety and statistics- you'd put the gun down and stop killing them. You'd realize rodents are a bigger threat to your health than the snakes eating them.

Sadly I have a feeling you won't change your ways.
>>
>>2178102
Well clearly insignificant dangers warrant you're attention. Moreover those insignificant dangers aren't effectively prevented. Seat belts and grounded cables effectively reduce risk you're actions do not. If by principle you want to reduce all risk then you're prioritizing the wrong dangers and letting many more significant dangers go unnoticed.
>>
>>2178104
>the planet is wasting away meme
Never understood this, if matter can't be destroyed then how is this possible?

We could nuke the planet and something would evolve to thrive in the nuclear wasteland we leave behind

Check out Blood Falls, good example of how adaptable life can be
>>
File: hps_us_bystateofreporting.jpg (97KB, 900x671px) Image search: [Google]
hps_us_bystateofreporting.jpg
97KB, 900x671px
>>2178104
Guns deaths are about 30,000 a year.
Poisonous snake bites are 8,000 a year.

Now look at how much of the population is in major metropolitan areas where bites are highly unlikely.
Then look at where I'm at and how my chances are drastically increased compared to an average citizen.

Everyone seems to be focused on "only 5 deaths a year" without acknowledging how disfiguring rattlesnake bites are.

I'm surprised so many people are nonchalant about having a 9 fingered kid.

>>2178112
According to CDC, never been a reported case in my state.
>>
>>2178112
Cumulative count- 690 cases in history.
So, basically one month worth of snake bites.

http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/surveillance/reporting-state.html
Which is more likely again?
>>
>>2178104
BTW, I don't have a dog.
Pretty sure I never said I did.
>>
People only act this way about venomous snakes and spiders because we don't have any predators or big threats anymore so they have to make up a villain in their "THIS MONSTER ALMOST GOT ME BUT I BEAT HIM :^)" narratives.
>>
>>2177486
You do realize that "on the rise" means that they're recovering from the destruction of their habitat that we imposed, right? Nature begins to set itself back on the right course and all you can think is, "gee I better kill it".
>>
>>2178134
>natures right course
Like humans dying at 35 from pneumonia?

I hope you've never been vaccinated- that would make you a hypocrite.
>>
>>2178133
Neighbor took a pic of a panther in his yard, probably 250 pounds of "we don't have any predators anymore".

Oh, and my other neighbor has 3 alligators in his pond.
>>
>>2177518
>90% of venomous snake bites in the US is on the hands and fingers of young, white males. I wonder
why that is?
Is it because non-whites and women have a natural affinity with snakes?

Is it because you're a race-baiting cuck defending dangerous reptiles?
>>
File: aids-skrillex2.png (152KB, 851x474px) Image search: [Google]
aids-skrillex2.png
152KB, 851x474px
>>2177518
(lol)
>>
>>2177410
>I want to be dominated by a snake
>>
>animals and nature

I wonder how many people that complained about this thread have a leather couch, or leather shoes, or purse, belt, jacket etc.
I wonder how many had a big Mac or chicken strips for lunch.

Let's look at two of the greatest naturalists in history.

>Darwin:

He killed 100x more animals than I ever could- even if I tried really hard to catch up- I'd never get close in my lifetime.
Everywhere he went, he'd catch, kill and tag animals to later do an in-depth study of them.
Some expeditions he actually caught so many animals that he'd ship them home so as not to be burdened with box after box of dead specimens as he continued his travels.

>Auduban:

As in "society" or "field guide to X".
All of those gorgeous portrait paintings he did of birds were of dead specimens.
He would catch, kill, mount every bird and then paint them.
He even had a global network of associates that would send him specimens for him to paint.

So how are we in a society were chickens and cows are raised in horrible conditions just for human consumption, and theres no complaints.

Killing wild animals just to paint it or measure its talons is OK.

But actually killing a dangerous animal on your property is taboo.
>>
>>2177702
Rattlesnakes don't rattle unfailingly every time. A surprised rattler will strike first. If you're not a lumbering dolt, it's not hard to move quietly enough to surprise a rattlesnake.

And suddenly you're dead center in their IR targeting system.
>>
>>2177494
good job OP
>>
Pretty retarded to go guns ablazing like that on local wildlife. The thing just wants to be left alone. You seem to think that it is just waiting for the chance to gobble up kids and kill the elderly.
t. louisianian
>>
File: 75b.png (25KB, 680x288px) Image search: [Google]
75b.png
25KB, 680x288px
>>2177526
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.