[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scary looking insect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: whatisthis.jpg (151KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
whatisthis.jpg
151KB, 1200x1200px
Shit looks 100% scary,
but dat thang byte tho?

Also are these hairs like spiky?

Will I die if it jabs me?
>>
>>2175919
No it won't bite you because your skin is too thick.

These guys sting once and then die. The hairs are soft and fluffy but good luck trying to pet one.

You can die if you're allergic. If you aren't the area might swell a bit or not at all.

Hornets and yellowjackets can sting multiple times though. They are pests and a lot less benevolent.
>>
>>2176281
Also if you get stung use a credit card to get it out. Push the card towards the fat end of the stinger so it slides out. If you use your finger you can end up picking the sack and releasing a lot more venom.

I used to own like a billion of these guys. They're nice animals and honey is awesome.
>>
>>2176284
Pinching* not picking
>>
>>2175919
>Will I die if it jabs me?

They kill more people than any other animal. So maybe.
>>
>>2176281
>Hornets and yellowjackets
>pests

fucking kek
>>
>>2176287
that's not a mosquito
>>
>>2176345
They don't kill you. It's the Malaria virus that does.
>>
File: image.jpg (326KB, 1536x1001px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
326KB, 1536x1001px
Coming from a beekeeper who owns several thousand of those little buggers, you'll be okay. They seem scary, but just be nice to them and they won't sting. They're basically tiny little dogs... they're curious about everything, and they just want to see if you're a flower.

>Pic related, it's a box of bees I captured yesterday :D
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 156x149px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 156x149px
>>2175919
Can this be a bee thread?
>>
File: 1467727365655.jpg (94KB, 550x574px) Image search: [Google]
1467727365655.jpg
94KB, 550x574px
>>2176498
>>
>>2176504
Sweet.
>>
Could you guys please post more? I love bees and would love to keep some but I live in an apartment complex in the city.

How do you collect honey? With that centrifuge thing or by handP
>>
>>2175919
I went to the park last week and saw these gigantic fluffy bumble bees
I want to take them all home
>>
File: 918359297_orig.jpg (71KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
918359297_orig.jpg
71KB, 640x425px
>21766580
Almost always centrifuge. Beehives are made up of 8-10 frames in each box for the standard type. Bees put honey on both sides of each frame and you cut them open with a knife and put them in a centrifuge to spin the honey out.

You can buy hand cranks centrifuges, hand drill-based (that's usually DIY), or a full auto machine which is obviously the best and most expensive. It gets really tiring with the hand crank ones. Some are really small and only spin 2-3 at a time, and industrial sized ones can spin hundreds. The auto spin process takes about 30 minutes and then you flip all the frames and do it again. Then you put the frames back in the hive and come back a month or two later and do it again (assuming they are healthy and its not winter).

It would be near impossible if you're around a lot of people and you don't have a roof or yard to keep them in the city. If you rent your landlord will probably laugh you out the door unfortunately.
>>
>>2176618
My reply thing is messed up,

meant for >>2176580
>>
>>2176618
Also Langstroth is the type with 8 or 10 frame size boxes. It's the gold standard but there are other types which may look more rustic or just different shapes. Some people use plastic frames for their Langstroth hives because they are less work to replace the comb on. Some people don't like langstroth's for a variety of reasons.
>>
>>2176313
He's right tho
>>
>>2175919
Lunchtime!
>>
>>2176442
that's like saying "gunshots don't kill you, it's the blood loss and hydrostatic shock"
>>
>>2177016
The virus is an entity unto itself, a parasite on the mosquito. It deserves the credit, not the carrier it has made it's slave.
>>
File: dragonfly-ppcorn.jpg (136KB, 1300x650px) Image search: [Google]
dragonfly-ppcorn.jpg
136KB, 1300x650px
>>2177004
Did someone say bees?!
>>
>>2176287
I think people kill more people than any other animal.
>>
>>2176618
My family owns a weekend house in the countryside. It's in the middle of nowhere, maybe few other houses around, lots of trees, meadows, fields and nature. No highways or industrial facilities around. Would it be a good place to keep a beehive? It's half an hour drive from my city, we mostly go there during summer but I could drive there every weekend if needed. How often would I have to check on them?
>>
>>2177130
Actually it really is the mosquito/malaria parasite
>>
>>2177183
That would be the ideal place for bees as long as it's not just pine forest for miles. The more plants people have in their yards the healthier it will be for the bees and the better the honey will taste.

In the spring you would want to check them every 2-3 weeks but in the winter you wouldn't open them at all really.

They can swarm though, and they usually do it in the spring. You'll have to be ready with another hive or expand the hive to avoid half the hive leaving the property and your possession.

I recommend carniolans.
>>
>>2176313

Lol yeah he misspelled "scourge"
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.