[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bought new 40 gallon Breeder tank, wat do.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: nipples.jpg (139KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nipples.jpg
139KB, 1200x1200px
I got a 40 gallon breeder tank for my mice. There was a sale at my local petco, and I got it 80 dollars off. The old cage was small and hard to clean, this one can be cleaned with a shop-vac, hooray.

However, after I bought it and realized how big it was, it got me thinking- What the fuck do I put in this thing? I need ideas for toys. Of course, I get 2 wheels, a few homes, large tubes, and milkbones/hanging milkbones for chews, but what else do mice like?

Also, it's pretty tall. Anyone know of a way to add multiple little levels so they can climb?
>>
>mice
Be sure to get some sort of airflow coming in from the top. Those tanks are not built to house mice comfortably.

As for the toys, mice are pretty easy to please. Get a wheel, something to climb on and something to hide in.
>>
File: 20150108090235800443092569c[1].jpg (13KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
20150108090235800443092569c[1].jpg
13KB, 350x350px
>>2175358
Also, get one of these for their water. They've worked for me way better than the standard drip bottles do.
>>
>>2175353
Make sure you have plenty of air flow, or the mice could end up overheating and dying.

If the tank is tall enough, then build a little multistory house for them.

Basically, get a cardboard box(like for shoes and stuff), cut some holes in it, and flip it upside down. Then get a smaller cardboard box and do the same, but this time put it on top of the other box and connect some tubes/ramps for the mice to climb up and down.
>>
>>2175362
This. Just make cardboard hotels and tape them higher up in the tank.
>>
>>2175362
>>2175358
They have PLENTY of air flow. It has a mesh top, I have a fan on in the room, and air conditioning.

Also, why WOULDN'T a large tank house a mouse comfortably? Many, many people do it. You just need a mesh lid.
>>
>>2175379
>fan in the room
>mesh top
A mesh top is a good start, but it'll get pretty dank and musty in there without a supply of fresh air being readily pumped in from the top. It can get pretty stinky in an enclosure like that, especially if there are males present, and it's important that the air quality is kept fresh and clean.

Trust me on this. I've kept mice for a long time.
>>
>>2175384
Well, what do you suggest?
>>
>>2175386
Perhaps a little clip-on fan or something of that nature angled from the top. If you're crafty, you can rig a computer fan up also.
>>
>>2175394
Alright, thanks for the help.
>>
>>2175394
Don't do this, they're extremely loud and liable to piss both you and the mouse off.
source: I tried.
>>
>>2175400
You were clearly using too powerful of a fan.
>>
>>2175403
Dollar store foam blade fan.
Extremely noisy, but have fun wasting money on something neither you or the mouse wants to hear.

Use a small air purifier modified or turned to blow filtered air into the cage at low speeds.
>>
>>2175404
And where can I buy this?
>>
>>2175417
Wal mart. Simple rinsable filter model.
I set one on a stool intake up and aimed it across the corner of a rat cage.
I would say tape a funnel to the exhaust and run a large rubber tube down into the corner of the tank so you don't freeze your mice, direct wind is not good, but this will provide fresh air.

Or just point a very small fan across the mesh on top and put it far away and on low.
The real problem is their waste, not the glass tank. You'll notice petco keeps 40 mice in a low air flow 40g tank.
You can get $5 desk fans at the dollar store.
>>
>>2175454
What's the problem with their waste? Build up ammonia or something?
>>
>>2175353
My favourite thing to do for tiers in tubs/tanks is go to Daiso or similar Asian dollar store.

Any of these cool shelves for kitchens/bathrooms work really well (with a cover over the bars.) There are ones on legs and ones that hang over the edge.

With my next few litters I'm considering actually offering tub set-ups. A 36L tub with mesh lid and front, pre-filled with bedding, food, water bottle, some toys and tiers. Maybe like $80 for the lot and a pair?
>>
>>2176400
Dropped my image again.

Can't be bothered quoting the relevant posts, but
>They'll be fine in a tank of this size with a mesh top due to the large surface area that is actually open. Overheating and ammonia is only an issue in smaller, more vertical tanks.
>>
>>2176400
Wait, fuck. I use 36L as breeders. I meant closer to 90L.
>>
>>2176403
You can be rat anon but I will always hold the title "crazy rat man."
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 400x400px
>>2175353
At least get one of these so they can get fresh air.
>>
>>2176508
Do they make those for 40 gallon breeders? If they do I can't think they're cheap.
>>
>>2176511
Hmmm.. Forgot that detail. What is the length and width of your tank? I might be able to find something.
>>
>>2176514
36 x 18 x 17 for breeder size.
48 x 13 x 17 for long, just in case petco mislabeled it,
>>
>>2176515
You were right. Everything close to that size is $70+. I was looking at full on cages that could be detached from the pan.

Maybe rig up something with hardware cloth? Sorry anon. I was no help whatsoever.
>>
>>2176526
I'm not OP, I just remember the ten gallon ones being pricey as well.
>>
>>2176538
The one I posted was $20-$30. I personally don't consider that pricey, but I could see how some might since you could get a full cage setup for $30/$40.
>>
>>2176540
Huh, that's not bad, most of the ones I've seen were 50$. I just drilled a bunch of 8th inch holes in the one I keep my mouse in. I used to keep him in a bar cage for rodents but he kept getting out.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.