[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

stray dogs/cats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

anyone ever take in a stray? i'm on a farm and city fags always seem to drive out here to dump their pets so i've seen quite a few over the years. we sometimes take in the strays and they often end up being some of the best pets we've ever had. some just end up running away and we never see them again and others we've had friends take or have had the local shelter come get them.

i don't like the shelter option partly because i know they'll end up sitting in a cramped cage for weeks or even months. i also know many of them will just end up being put down which i find pretty sickening.

just tonight we had a pretty young looking(year old tops) German Shepard show up at the door and she's been sleeping on my deck all night. she looks pretty healthy and hasn't been starved so obviously hasn't been out very long. pretty safe to assume she was dropped off and just went to the first house she could find.

i'm tempted to take her in but i already have 2 other dogs both of which are male and not neutered and i'd assume she isn't either so that's a bit of an issue. one of my dogs is also kinda aggressive so that's a pretty big concern. i also don't really want another but she's friendly enough that i'm sure as fuck not going to send her off to suffer in a shelter and most likely end up being killed anyway
>>
Every dog I've ever owned is a stray that we have taken in and they are the best animals i could ask for.

Im not sure how you could really handle that situation unless you are fine with banding (another form of neutering, any questions just ask/google) your male dogs
>>
>>2174205
I'd say take her in, can't hurt to try. For what purpose are your dogs not neutered ?
>>
>>2174217
both male so there was no need. despite being on a farm they mostly stay in the house and are walked on a leash. both were also strays, one is a beagle and they of course like to run off hunting. the other is a german shepard who spent quite a bit of time out running with a pack of dogs(never managed to find them) before he came to us and if he gets out tends to also run off for half the day. he actually came back covered in bites once which we assume was coyotes(they have become an issue) so we try really hard to keep him home these days.

i'm gonna call around and see if any friends will take her but till then i'm trying to figure out the best way to take care of her. she's outside right now but i'd like to get her inside so she doesn't run off or get attacked by coyotes(large packs with no fear of humans) but like i said one of the dogs is kind of aggressive(the beagle) and i don't need them breeding either so i hesitate to bring her in
>>
>>2174218
That's understandable. I don't think there would be a down side to having them neutered but that's ultimately your call.
I understand the coyote problem entirely too well.
Happen to have a garage or something you could keep her in until you get a plan? It'd keep her segregated. There's kennel training where you pretty much put new dog in a kennel , let your dogs get used to her, then ease her into your pack. Your boys can't hurt her and she can't hurt them if there's a cage between them. Eventually they WILL calm down, maybe not to the point where they live happily ever after but it's worth a shot.

Other than that, I don't have a lot of ideas.
>>
>>2174222
>>2174218
Oh hey, you said farm? Got a barn she could stay in? Then you just have the coyotes to worry about if you could reinforce it a bit, might work out.
>>
>>2174222
really there isn't a downside just wasn't any need. it's also about $150 per dog so not exactly cheap.

>>2174223
only barn actually on the property is where we keep the chickens which would obviously be a bad idea. all our machine sheds are about 10 min away and i wouldn't really want to keep her locked up without anyone around

the coyotes just kinda popped up over night a few years back and the population very quickly got out of control. 30 years here and i'd never seen or heard of one till about 3 years ago then suddenly there's packs of 20 roaming around. no idea how they got so brave but they'll walk all around the house and even follow people through the woods no fucks given. basically can't go outside at night anymore without carrying a gun, not that i'd help much against 20 of the fucking things
>>
ended up finding the owner this morning. a neighbour that just moved in a few roads over lost her while out on his ATV. saw a truck driving around really slow at about 6am so i flagged him down and sure enough he was looking for his dog

she really didn't want to go home so i don't think this is the last i've seen of her but at least i know where she lives now
>>
>>2174261
That's a somewhat happy end. You're a good soul, brother. Might want to mention the coyote thing to him if he's completely new to the area.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.