[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

working in an emergency vet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1468026958371.gif (786KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1468026958371.gif
786KB, 320x240px
Ive recently been offered a position in an emergency animal hospital. But im fairly new and dont know much when it comes to medication. Plus im squeamish about worms/maggots, and have never had to handle an emergency situation before. Im not sure how i would handle it?
Any stories about emergencies? Anything you guys want to share about emergencies?
My previous hospital was really nice and patient with me, im also scared of leting down the emergency vet
>>
>>2172449
probably will be euthanising animals
>>
>>2172484
Ive been through that at the othwr hospital. My biggest concern is that i wont be able to stomach a worm infestation or something.
>>
I mean, it's all part of the game. You're either in play or not at all.
>>
It's hard to give advise without knowing your personality, because it depends on your personality how you treat emergencies. maybe it's possibly to run a trial period, so you can see if you can handle the stress?
about your squeamishness, unless you're very squeamish, you'll probably get used to it, just try not to get stuck in your squeamishness to much, try to act as if you're ok with it.
>>
I've got plenty of emergency stories. It's a little different though, because I work at a shelter so i don't have to answer to anyone if an animal dies.

>Person surrenders dog for health of animal
>It's uterus was pushed out during it's latest birthing
>Lady says it's been like that for days, not sure how long
>Rush it to vet
>They need to put the uterus back in to take it out
>Everyone is trying, but not quite getting it
>Vet decides they need to outreach for smaller hands
>That's where I come in
>They grab me, sterilize my hands and arms, and put some gloves on me
>I poke and prod the piece, eventually use the tips of all my fingers to keep it in
>I have to stand with my hand inside a dog's vag while the vet works
>Finally done, stitch up and use reversal
>Dog dies later anyway due to infection

Oh yeah it's gonna be a lot of dying btw OP. People go to the emergency vet after letting a preventable and easily addressed problem get to the point where it is life threatening. You're also going to get a lot of angry people who don't understand the concept of money, business, & capitalism
>>
Op here
Thanks for responding guys. Im okay with euthanizing and ive had my fair share of pissed off clients. Im hoping that whatever i feel squeamish about i will yet over quickly. Im hoping i will be okay at this emergency practice.
Any tips ?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.