[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get a long fellow as a pet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: Long fellow.jpg (67KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Long fellow.jpg
67KB, 720x960px
My mom is talking about getting a doggo I asked for a long fellow but she said no they are too big and too fast to have as a house dog. She said they need to run alot. Can you keep a long fellow as a house dog or do they only do racing ?
>>
they're couch potatoes, you can keep them in an apartment.
>>
>>2172005
Really ?
>>
>>2172013
look into adopting a retired racer.
>>
>>2172000
Your mom's a dumbass and so are you.
>>
>too fast
They are lazy as fuck and aren't any faster indoors than any other dog.

Yes, they make good apartment dogs as long as they get exercise at some point.
>>
>>2172018
Greyhounds are only kept in my country as racing dogs and it is seen as taboo to keep big dogs in our country because there has been a moral panic in the media the past few years that "dogs are dangerous". This is because there have been stories of stupid people who have left their toddler unaccompanied around an alsatian and then suprised when the dog bites the child after ulling its tail

>>2172019
I heard this but are they ok just chilling in a house ?
>>
File: Long boy grey.jpg (57KB, 720x960px)
Long boy grey.jpg
57KB, 720x960px
>>2172025
Its eyes stare into the soul
>>
>>2172025
They're lazy as shit when they're indoors.
>>
>>2172013
The concensus is that they are chill as fuck most of the time and make good apartment dogs as long as you can give them like 30 min of balls to the wall high speed exercise every day
>>
>>2172038
How do you get your doggo to do this? I'm trying to tire my GSD out but it seems like she's got endless energy. Well job for a mile, then play fetch for 30 minutes with some obedience stuff, then jog home another mile. She drinks water and is ready to go again

Da fuk?
>>
>>2172090
even though playing drains energy too, it's probably better if you excercise more, playing probably psyches him up too, so it's not as draining as excercise would be. you could try to put a doggy backpack on him, and let him carry water bottles or something. the increased weight might tire him faster. or you could try to ride a bike with him, that's much higher intensity excercise than jogging.
>>
LONG
>>
>>2172090
Try playing first then jogging then obidence. As another anon pointed out, playing might hype him up. Use play as a way to get out an initial burst of energy, and then a jog to tire him.
>>
>>2172090
Greyhounds are sprinters, shepherds are long distance runners.

Breed traits I'm afraid.
>>
>>2172000

Why does it wear clothes?
>>
>>2172977
No undercoat and very little fat. Not a good combination in colder climates.
>>
File: Long fellow 1.jpg (71KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Long fellow 1.jpg
71KB, 720x960px
>>2172977
People put it on him
>>
File: Long fellow 2.jpg (83KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Long fellow 2.jpg
83KB, 720x960px
>>2172977
>>
>>2173064
Oh good. I thought the dog put the clothes on themselves. Got a lil worried.
>>
>>2173065
>curry tree
>cactus in background
That dog doesn't need clothes, stop this at once.
>>
File: Long fellow in people clothes.jpg (169KB, 808x808px) Image search: [Google]
Long fellow in people clothes.jpg
169KB, 808x808px
>>2173069
>>2173070
Do long fellows like people clothes ?
>>
WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU CALLING THEM LONG FELLOWS SOME ONE EXPLAIN?!?!

THESE ARE GREYHOUNDS???
>>
File: 20160628_123334.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160628_123334.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Greyhounds and longdogs are not "couch potatoes" please stop spouting this shit. They will laze around and do fuck all if you give them nothing to do, but it would be cruel to expect them to only have 30 minutes of exercise a day. If you can work them/run them/exercise them 2-3 hours a day they're perfect housedogs, but keeping a greyhound inactive for most of the day is just going to lead to an unhappy dog.

If you get one as a puppy, it will get destructive habits and be a restless dog in general if youfollow the myth of le apartment dog xDDD so lazy xDD

The only reason retired racing greys are so docile around the house is that they're old and used to doing nothing. They're still going to be happier doing things and hunting up and exploring.

OP, if you exercise it well and let it be a dog, its size won't matter because they'll curl up and you won't realise they exist until it's time to go out again, but it needs more than a 30 minute run a day. I'd reccomend getting a pup - a retired racer will be unpredictable off leash with fast things, they will even chase cars sometimes. If you get a puppy you can stockbreak it and teach it to follow you.

Pic related are my two longfellows
>>
>>2173070
Idk. I don't live in a particularly hot climate, but I hear about people having a cactus. I don't know about curry trees though. and the person holding the dog seems to be clothed for colder weather as well
>>
>>2173101
I can only assume it's some sort of tumblr/reddit meme
>>
File: Long boy muzzle.jpg (61KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Long boy muzzle.jpg
61KB, 720x960px
>>2173472
I don't use faggot websites.
They are called that because they are long
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.