[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

German Shepherds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (1MB, 1000x1278px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1000x1278px
GSDs in the show ring are not deformed.
In conformation shows, where they show off a dog asthetically, it's not really what it seems.
As someone who is training their dog and preparing them for this (not a GSD, I'm just tired of people saying this about them and dog shows in general). I want to clarify a few things.

Conformation Shows are basically a way to test if the dog will be a good breeder.
They check teeth, under/over bite = disqualification
Check Spine (lumpy vertebrae are a sign of inbreeding)
You have to pose/stack each breed a certain way to make sure there aren't any imperfections. Most are stacked with shoulders and ankles straight to make sure to spine is aligned correctly.

Out of speculation, I believe GSDs are stacked in such a way to check their hips.

Here is a video to show you some GSDs in the ring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=DEN5S893yMU
>>
>>2171946
So what you say is, that these dogs only assume this position to show off their build, like bodybuilders do on stage, but revert back to a normal walk as soon as the show is over?

Didn't know that. Quite insightful.
>>
In the upper picture you can that the back is not that low and it is able to stand normally
but you can also see a falling/lowering croup which the gsd did not use to have and was bred this way

In Germany breeders try to get away from it again because it fucked up the hips
>>
>>2171960
It's the same dog, dingus
>>
>>2172126
No it isn't?

Also:
>ITT delusional breederfag unironically believes dogs bred for show are healthy
O man I'm laffin.
>>
File: 5Szh6mU.png (15KB, 743x389px) Image search: [Google]
5Szh6mU.png
15KB, 743x389px
>>2171946
Nice try.
>>
>>2171946

if that pose is just to show the dog, why isn't it used for the rest of breeds?
>every breed is different
no, if every breed is different they should use a unique pose for each dog, but they dont. everyone else uses the same pose
>>
>>2172487
Actually different breeds are posed differently. Setters have their necks streatched out to show the lay of the shoulders, terriers are asked to spar, poodles keep their heads held high when walking.
>>
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/breed-standard/537129-stacking.html#/topics/537129?_k=i6vm7v

This link shows the same GSD stacked in several ways and also freestanding. The freestanding pic shows a level top line.
>>
>>2172126
not even close
>>
>>2172531
this
>>
>>2171946
Dude, those german shepherds walk a little bit weird.
>>
>>2171946
The fuck is this?
>>
>>2172547
well, unless he's missing 1/3 of his head, its a shoop
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-21-22-55-52.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-21-22-55-52.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
Rate my Shepherd's hips/10
>>
>sign of inbreeding

Even reputable breeders line breed.
>>
File: 28dsh03.jpg (12KB, 250x222px) Image search: [Google]
28dsh03.jpg
12KB, 250x222px
>>2172126
yeah, i knew
was rferring to the dogs croup, the vertebrate bones between back and tail; not the back
>>
>>2172550
Looks painful
Sketchy/10 is the best I can do
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-22-08-21-13.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-22-08-21-13.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
>>2172729
Are they really that bad anon? She's just a puppy, no trouble running up steps, climbing into cars, no bunny hop.
;_;
>>
>>2172785
Not that anon but she doesn't look bad at all, it helps that this picture is taken from a better angle. Her back end looks nice and even, no excessive dip at the back.
>>
>>2172545
It's called a pacing gait. Different breeds with different jobs move differently.
>>
>>2172785
If you are really concerned about your dogs hips then get him tested.
Also, that's something you should have looked into BEFORE getting the dog. Did you ask about health testing in the parents? CERF and OFA? Did you ask to see the paperwork?
>>
>>2172875
Honestly a coworker had to rehome her and I took her in cause I fell in love. She's certified by akc, and I'll be getting the paperwork next week. She's also got a doggie appointment in August so I can talk to the vet.

And they paid 800 for her, so I assume that everything was on point, she just wasn't fitting in well with their other dogs/farm animals
>>
>>2172880
Sounds like a BYB dog. AKC registration means very little. And 800$ is not very much. GSDs from reputable breeder regularly cost 1,200-1,500$.
I would be very concerned about that dogs hips, elbows, eyes, and I would be concerned about cancer.
>>
>>2172884
Thanks m8, I'll definitely be look into the paperwork I get as well as having the vet do a thorough workup. That makes me worry, but I'd love her wether she was free or 10k.
>>
>>2172885
You will need to have her hips scanned. That's not something that can be done at a regular checkup. And it's not cheap.
>>
>>2172897
That's something a reputable breeder would have done before selling her correct? My coworker assured me her hips were in good shape. Would it be on the paperwork?
>>
>>2172908
Most genetic problems don't show up until 2 years of age
Even if the parents looked healthy, hip dysplasia could be from previous generations that could carry to your pup.
>>
>>2172919
Well I guess I just have to cross my fingers. But that could even happen with a regular breeder, genetics is way more complicated than a punnet square
>>
>>2172924
It's much less likely to happen when a breeder has been health testing stock for generations. Hip displasia is one of those things that is easy to detect and easy to breed away from.

Hope for the best now, but buy from a good breeder next time.
>>
>>2172550
Doesn't look natural/10
>>
>>2172785
She doesn't look too bad to me, but even a dog that looks excellent can have terrible hips, and a dog that looks terrible can have perf city formed hips.

Get her hips and elbows x-rayed when she turns two. You'll have a definite answer then.

I have a GSD without a good leg on him, and his mobility isn't impaired in the least. He runs, jumps, plays, gets in and out of the car, and climbs stairs with ease. He's eight. So you can't even necessarily tell from looking at the dog move, not without an expert eye.

It is really obvious in some dogs but they're usually the severe cases.
>>
>>2174859
*perfectly

Damn autocorrect
>>
>>2172969
OP took in this dog. From whom the original owners purchased the dog is out of his control. Don't give him grief for that, for fuck's sake.

As per to Mr. Rescues GSD, I recommend getting her pet insurance. Read up on companies and pick a good one. Lots of them will just jew you out of a monthly payment and not pay out a claim, but others are legit. Make sure to carefully study and ask about covering hereditary conditions. Many will, but there may be wait times associates to it. The company I get it from, for example, has a 1e month wait time before you can file a claim for hip dysplasia.
>>
>>2174929
Thanks dude, I appreciate the kind words. Who is your insurance carrier?
>>
>>2174929
I know he took in the dog, I wasn't giving him grief.
>>
>>2171946
Any time you have selection for appearance instead of allowing the dog to be genetically diverse, you are going to run into problems, despite what advocates of dog shoes may tell you.

Remember, if you mix all the dog genes together evenly, you return to a wolf-like animal because that is the original model. Once you begin scraping away natural selection's decisions for the species you risk running into problems
>>
>>2175653
That's not really how genes and evolution works anon...
>>
>>2175194
Healthy Paws.
>>
>>2175738
Random Words.
>>
>>2175739
>Asks which pet insurance carrier I use
>Tell him
???
>>
>>2175743
My bad, though your reply was to another thread.
??? Was my thought too
Cheers
>>
>>2175732
I know, my main point was that selecting for appearance doesn't always mean the best for the dog. And my second point was basically implying that most dog breeds were bred for appearance (which isn't true, but in the context of dog shows. It kind of is true). And then I was trying to point out that the original model was already selected by nature to be the most healthy, resilient and hard to kill. So any changes we made thereafter were just the extreme expression of traits that used to happen just a little. (Although, i admit this wasn't always a bad thing)
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.