[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cat sick, vet visit today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: cat_1465174180927.png (591KB, 1072x1400px) Image search: [Google]
cat_1465174180927.png
591KB, 1072x1400px
First off, we have a vet visit scheduled already, so no worries, we are getting professionals on the job.

But I am still worried and want to hear what /an/ thinks:
She has stopped eating, is listless/sluggish, and she tries to puke but nothing or white foam comes out.

We think it is something she may have eaten in our garden, or an infection, since she is young and show no signs of fever, kidney failure, or any of the major diseases.

She may have swallowed a whole feather (we found and cleaned some up 2 days ago) or potential a plant or insect that got lodged somehow. It had to be something the house or garden (we watch her like a hawk, she absolutely never gets beyond our garden) and she doesn't get into the trash (they get plenty of food and we make sure the trash is secure and taken out often.)

None of our other cats are ill, so it is unlikely to be a virus. Any thoughts?
>>
>>2171227
>my cats dying
Too bad, op. Take solace in the knowledge that the world will be a slightly better place after it takes its final breath.
>>
>>2171230
She is definitely not dying, she still tries to play and shows no signs of actually kicking the bucket, she is just sick and clearly uncomfortable.

We are taking her to the vet for treatment, and about the only thing thst could possibly be fatal off the top of my head is cancer. And she is very young for that (14 months.) Also she has had all her shots and has been fixed, so the list of possible ailments is fairly low overall.
>>
>>2171234
Do you keep lillies in your garden? Those are toxic to cats. Even if you don't, someone nearby just might.
Also, if you keep your cat outdoors or let it go outdoors then you have to consider the very real possibility that it was poisoned, intentionally or otherwise.
>>
>>2171235
No we don't have lillies, and there is zero chance they have gotten into someone elses garden. When I say we watch them like a hawk, I mean we are present the entire time they go outside, and we monitor everything they do near the fences (for the rest of the garden we let them do what they want since it shouldn't have anything dangerous to animals in it.)

And unless one of our neighbours has literally broken into out garden to lay down poison, that is also quite impossible. I can't imagine why anyone would do that anyway, our cats don't bother anyone.
>>
>>2171239
What do you feed the little piece of shit? Low grade kibble, a poor diet, and/or poor nutrition can cause health complications. Also make sure there's no recall on any of it. Do the same with any medication you give your worthless cat and any of it's toys or enclosures.
And while the likelyhood is low you shouldn't rule out cancer entirely--it doesn't discriminate.
>>
>>2171251
We rotate foods (they are picky eaters, sometimes they refuse to eat the expensive food, sometimes they refuse to eat cheap food.) Lately they have been on a cheap food binge, so that is a possibility. We do try to keep an eye on their diet though, and none of our other 3 cats are ill from the food.

And yeah, cancer is still in the back of my mind as we have lost two other cats to cancer in the last 7 years, but she has shown no obvious signs of it (no weight loss, no complaints of pain if we touch her stomach or lift her, etc.) I haven't ruled it out, but it seems very unlikely compared to the other potential causes.

If it turns out to be the food we will make sure they have the expensive brands for a few weeks even if they get sick of it, and see if we can't find another way to encourage them to eat the expensive food, rather than swapping back to the cheaper stuff.
>>
>>2171258
Hunger is a hell of a thing, anon. If they decide to stop eating their higher grade food then just keep putting it down and don't offer anything else. Their health is far more important to you than their preferences.
>>
>>2171282
Trust me, we have tried this. We end up caving because the cats go from eating normally to eating less than a third of what they normally eat, and they keep it up for an extended time (over a week at extreme times.) I want healthy cats, not skin and bones, so we just try to switch things up just enough that they don't get bored.
>>
>>2171294
You could just step your game up then and find recipes for cats that you'll have to prepare yourself. Your piece of shit cat can have a variety of meals and flavors while you can be assured that the little speedbump you call a cat is getting complete nutrition. You'll most likely need supplements.
You could prepare a weeks worth of food ahead of time in one hour or so.

If your cat just has a junk food addiction then it's already too late because cats are neurotic psychopaths and it'll never NOT want to eat that shit.
>>
>>2171297
We can't afford to prepare special food for 4 cats - one cat would be doable, 4 is simply too large a cost. Buying quality camned food is far more affordable.

We do take care of all the vet bills etc, so we aren't neglecting them, but a constant increase in the price of food would break the bank.

We have also had plenty of cats in the past with no health issues that have eaten more or less the same way, so unless this particular cat is sensitive to something in the cheaper food, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Going to get the vets opinion on it obviously, and work with them to make sure our cat recovers.
>>
>>2171227
Is she eating or drinking enough? I had a cat that recently passed because she stopped eating and drinking due to kidney failure. She had the same symptoms as yours. Sluggish, would throw up white foam, would be generally weird and just sit and stare at the wall for an hour and such.

Goodluck OP, I hope the best and it's just a weird little illness.
>>
>>2171314
Until 2 days ago, yes. As soon as we noticed something wrong we started monitoring her. She drinks a little but no food that I have seen. Kidney issues seem unlikely this young, but we have had another cat with kidney issues and she recovered with some TLC and antibiotics, and a little force feeding of very wet food, almost liquid. She then went on to live years longer.

I am fairly confident this isn't anything lethal, but I am more concerned about the chance of lasting medical issues. We want happy healthy animals, it sucks if they suffer at all.
>>
Vet in 20 mins, will update when I hear the news.
>>
She has a fairly minor virus, she got a shot to help with the nausea. She should be fine if she eats, but we have to forcefeed her a bit if she won't eat by herself.

She should make a full recovery and fairly quickly. I am feeling a whole lot better knowing she isn't in immediate danger. Thanks everyone who tried to help.
>>
Sounds like your cat has feline aids. Has she been mating with feral cats? My cat died from feline aids.
>>
>>2171343
I'm sorry it isn't dying.
>>2171363
Good
>>
>>2171294
Higher quality food also typically tends to be more nutritious and have higher percentage of protein (rather than carbs) and is more filling. Cats don't usually eat as much of it as the cheap stuff because it is more satiating.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.