[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horse General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 79

File: shireandshetlandpony.jpg (36KB, 468x405px) Image search: [Google]
shireandshetlandpony.jpg
36KB, 468x405px
Say hello to my little friend edition.
>>
File: horses beach.jpg (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
horses beach.jpg
127KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>2170767
Those are some comfy looking horses.
>>
>>2170767
I thought horses had to stand their entire life and couldn't lie down or take pressure off their legs? How do they get up?
>>
>>2170800

They can lay down, and do every day to get proper deep sleep. It's not harmful unless it's been too long, at which point the biggest issue is their own weight putting too much pressure on their organs for them to properly function.

You really don't want to see them laying for more than 2-3 hours, but as long as the horse is healthy it should take care of that on its own.
>>
File: joymagicjoy_1_26_10.jpg (58KB, 681x432px) Image search: [Google]
joymagicjoy_1_26_10.jpg
58KB, 681x432px
>>2170803
Alright, good to know
>>
File: shetlandpony1.jpg (19KB, 236x203px) Image search: [Google]
shetlandpony1.jpg
19KB, 236x203px
>>
File: shire9.jpg (20KB, 250x257px) Image search: [Google]
shire9.jpg
20KB, 250x257px
>>
File: FuriousDwarf.webm (693KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
FuriousDwarf.webm
693KB, 426x426px
How often do horses beer?
>>
How many hours do horses sleep per day?
>>
>>2172041
They doze on their feet and lie down for 2-3 hours of deep sleep. Foals lie down a lot more for sleep because babies.
>>
>tfw too heavy for any nearby riding center

I'm 6'5" so have to go full Auschwitz mode to get lighter.
>>
>>2170800
Kek, no.

As >>2170803 pointed out, it's only unhealthy if they're down for way too long.

Horses take a lot of short naps standing up throughout the day and night. They only lie down every now and then. If it's stressed though, it might not lie down ever (which is unhealthy for it).
>>
Reminder that horses are Satan incarnate
>>
>>2172064
Really? Where the fuck do you live that they don't have larger horses for you to ride? Only thing I can't think of is the UK because of their heavy reliance on pony-breeds.
>>
>>2172795
Yup. UK. I'm 205 lbs but that's too heavy for anything near me. Guess I'll keep looking.
>>
>>2172850
205 lbs is fucking nothing, dude. You could ride just about any breed of horse and it wouldn't be a problem for it.
>>
>>2172850
>"205 lbs".

Sure, fatty.
>>
>>2172795
>Clydesdale horse
>Shire horse
>Suffolk Punch
>Irish Draught

Those are just the massive draught breeds. There's also Welsh cobs, Irish cobs, nothing-in-particular cobs, Cleveland Bays, Hackney horses and a little-known horse called the Thoroughbred, all horse breeds developed in the UK. Even Fell, Dales, New Forest and Highland ponies are big, robust animals that can typically carry more than a dainty horse that's six inches taller.

Unfortunately, if anything, there isn't enough of a reliance on pony breeds in the UK - not enough demand for ponies as riding animals means our smaller breeds like the Exmoor and Dartmoor often face periodic culling because not enough people want to round them up and train them for riding. You won't find a string of Shetland ponies at a riding school, most of the horses for adults will be a mixture of cobs, light riding horses and draught crosses.
>>
>>2173380
I thought it seemed a bit weird. I've never been overweight for anything before. Guess they just cater to dwarves or something.
>>
>>2172850

If you're contacting stables to ask about weight limits, be sure to tell them you're 6'5 and 205 pounds. The UK generally considers 10% of the horse's own weight to be optimal and many riding schools will set a limit of 12 stone or 14 stone to discourage fatties from hurting their horses, but there is a big difference between a 6'5 and a 5'2 rider of the same weight. A 5'2 rider at that weight will be very unbalanced and have a lot of weight bouncing around right over the horse's spine, a tall guy will have much more evenly distributed and balanced weight. You'd probably be more comfortable yourself on a taller draught mix and most stables have a hefty horse or two for taller clients, but even a good-sized pony could carry you quite comfortably.
>>
File: ThisKillsTheHorse.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ThisKillsTheHorse.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>2173481
I think I'll go to the next one in person and see what's what. I see the point discouraging fats wounding horses. Thanks for the tip.
>>
How heavy is too heavy to ride a pony?
>>
File: Ponyfucker.jpg (19KB, 236x323px) Image search: [Google]
Ponyfucker.jpg
19KB, 236x323px
>>2173589
See that's the problem. The smaller horses get, or more "pony" like, the stronger they get, pound for pound. So seeing a disproportionately big person riding a tiny pony is actually a legit dealio, especially with pulling as well. There are still limits regardless, although i didn't realize UK popularity wise disliked ponies. I just know they had alot more of the breeds running around.

In the U.S. everyone and their mom wants Quarterhorses. Oh my, is that a new and legit breed someone came up with? let's mix Quarterhorse with it!

Pony of The Americas originally a fuck up between Shetland Pony and Appaloosa? Let's fuck over the Pony part of it and do Quarterhorse instead.

Have a child afraid of heights? Fuck it, let's buy a 5 figure, 16h 3 year old quarterhorse stallion instead of a perfectly good pony.

Alot of horse people cave into peer pressure trying to buy performance horses rather then looking at a breed or even personality of horse that fits them.
>>
Why would a horse scream all the time? Even when he's alone?
>>
>>2174709
Because it's stressed? Horses shouldn't be alone. In their own stall is fine, but there should be other horses around.
>>
>>2174709
Major case of separation anxiety, pretty common with horses, especially if NO ONE is around.

Zebras have it worse with their buddy system
>>
>>2174748
>>2174839

He's out most of the time with other horses and he still does it. Same when separated.
>>
I like women that have sex with horses
>>
File: INTEC VEST.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
INTEC VEST.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
Are these protective horse riding vests just a scam or do they actually offer protection?

They look so flimsy
>>
>>2175074
they don't like you, buddy :^)
>>
>>2175434

As long as you buy a properly tested and certified design, yes they absolutely do help to prevent (or at least considerably lesson) injuries to the rib cage, organs, and spine.

If you ignore all sense and buy from someone who hasn't bothered to get their products tested, then yeah it's a scam and you'll probably end up hurt.
>>
>>2175464
How do you find out if their tests are certified or legitimate and not from some shill group
>>
>>2170599
>>2170824
>>2171116
>>2172029

Whenever I see a small horse or a pony I get a strong urge to run to the nearest farm and hug one
>>
File: ponyfucker2.jpg (724KB, 2217x1469px) Image search: [Google]
ponyfucker2.jpg
724KB, 2217x1469px
>>2175591
>not hugging a pony from behind
>preferably while they're totally unaware of you.
Pls do it anon.
>>
>>2175074
You like corpses?
>>
>>2175499

In the US, you want the vest to be graded by the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) and/or the Safety Equipment Institute (SEI). The UK equivalent would be British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA) which endorses properly tested equipment.
>>
>>2176097
>Not getting your equipment tested by All Land Pony Horse Association

Stay beta
>>
>>2175074
We all want to be that woman.
>>
File: dutchdraft1.jpg (151KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
dutchdraft1.jpg
151KB, 500x357px
>>2176987
Including the femanons here?
>>
In the barn where I ride a mare gave birth recently and everytime the other horses saw her and her foal they made such a fuss. Why this? Do they want to attack the mare and foal?
>>
>>2177408
They are jelly. Most adult horses LOOOOOVE young foals. Mares, in particular, want to steal young foals when they see them. I have two mares and one gave birth. The other one had a complete fit the first time she saw the new foal. I thought she was going to break the stall door down!
>>
File: would you.jpg (76KB, 634x476px) Image search: [Google]
would you.jpg
76KB, 634x476px
>>2177408
No idea, but I have seen the same thing in person, regardless of the gender of the horses watching.

I've also seen similar behavior on campus when a donkey got loose into a field running across the the street from our school horse herds. These horses do not care for shit and will stare at the sun all day, but for some reason seeing the donkeys (which they see every day) gallop into a field one particular day caught their attention. They all went to the fence line neighing their heads off looking towards the loose donkeys.
>>
Why does this one group of horses wait till I arrive before they start mating? Are they just constantly at it and it's a coincidence or are they deviants?
>>
>>2170767
They must smell like, well..
>>
>>2179194
Sand
>>
File: D8H3263.jpg (393KB, 1500x1001px) Image search: [Google]
D8H3263.jpg
393KB, 1500x1001px
Anyone have any experience with Icelandics? I'm thinking about getting one eventually.
>>
>>2179441
I've ridden one. He was nice. Only met him for a day though.
>>
>>2179441
Often gaited. Alot stronger then they look, descended from Shetlands most likely. Everyone I know who has owned or encountered them loves them, especially this one old lady who was fulfilling a childhood dream of wanting a pony, but too big for the smaller ones.

Otherwise, total shit in competition cause EVERYONE WANTS FUCKING QUARTERHORSES OR WARMBLOODS HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 450x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 450x500px
>tfw no rich batshit-crazy horse-obsessed gf
>>
>>2179441
I have one. What do you want to know? Great personality. Not spooky. High-energy, though. Lots of get-up-and-go.
>>
I want to ride a horse and own one. Don't know why.
>>
>>2180481
because they're nice.
>>
>>2179462
bummer.

>>2179676
I hear they're really strong, that's partly why I want one.

>>2180397
Well, for starters I'd like to do a lot of trail riding. I do quite a bit of solo backpacking, and I was thinking how great it would be to have some company in the form of a horse. It should be said that I am totally new to horses, but that will change. My only real concern is weight/size. I'm 140lbs and with tack (how ever much that should weigh) and I think I might be too heavy.

Another thing is for their winter ruggedness. I live in the Rockies and we get a bit of snow but our summers average about 70F, which is probably a little on the hot side. Is this too hot?

From what I hear they're very sure footed, which is something I'll need if I'm going to be backpacking. And that they have a ton of energy, as you yourself even said, which is also important. Thanks for any advice!
>>
>>2172064

How the fuck did knights wearing 27 kg of armor get around then? Bunch of plated up midgets?
>>
>>2180720
People were shorter in the middle ages because of poor nutrition, but probably it was because the concept of animal welfare hadn't really caught on.
>>
>>2180720
Gravity wasn't as high back then. Things weigh about 28% more now.
>>
>>2180720

Your standard riding horse is considerably lighter boned than the cob-types that were war horses back in the day (even cobs and drafts have widely lost considerable bone circumference over the years). Sheer stength was sacrificed for speed, agility, and of course fashion.
>>
>>2180720

The issue isn't that horses physically can't carry heavier loads, it's that they can't do so without displaying signs of physical stress, back strain and soreness afterwards. Riding schools today hope to get more longevity out of their animals than medieval knights expected from their warhorses, but you could still throw an adult man in plate mail on the average-sized horse and it wouldn't collapse or anything.
>>
>>2180737
You got it backwards. Gravity was much higher back then because the core was spinning faster generating a greater magnetic field. The horses were stronger due to this so they could carry heavier loads.
>>
File: Shetland_ponies_ca_1900.jpg (268KB, 1524x1227px) Image search: [Google]
Shetland_ponies_ca_1900.jpg
268KB, 1524x1227px
>>2180709
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PRWMq19rws

Plenty of average weight guys ride pony breeds just fine. No one takes them seriously and every female faggot is gonna stare bloody murder into you for ignorant reasons. Even Shetlands carried recorded 180-200 pound men, albeity for 1 to two hours at a time, and the regular (still tiny) sized ones.

Alot of bad reps come from people trying to small scale non-pony breeds like quarterhorses where they lose an insane amount of strength when they get smaller. As opposed to pony breeds who pound for pound get more stronger/more dense as they get smaller. It's part of the reason why an average Shetland Pony the size of a Medium or Large-sized dog can still weigh 300-500 lbs.
>>
>>2180709
Lots of girls weigh more than you. It'll be fine.
>>
Bump?
>>
>>2181142
Alright that makes sense. You've restored my faith in someday owning an Icelandic. Thanks for the info!!

>>2181144
Haha I guess.
>>
File: chincoteague ponies swim.jpg (115KB, 960x364px) Image search: [Google]
chincoteague ponies swim.jpg
115KB, 960x364px
>>
>>2183162
Aquatic horses?
>>
Seahorses
>>
File: italian-draft-1[1].jpg (61KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
italian-draft-1[1].jpg
61KB, 500x329px
Post rare breeds.

>Italian Heavy Draft, now mostly bred for meat now
>known for being faster than other draft horse breeds
>because of course Italians would breed them that way
>>
File: Nordlandshest-with-Foal.jpg (28KB, 448x287px) Image search: [Google]
Nordlandshest-with-Foal.jpg
28KB, 448x287px
>>2184070
Sounds fun

Meet the Norlandshest/Lyngshest
>Smallest horse breed originating from Norway
>endangered in the 50s-60s following WWII
>only 15-20 left, and only one stallion
>now numbering 3000+
>still endangered
>>
How do you tell if a horse likes you? Like it's just comfortable around you? Can horses enjoy it when you're around like a dog can?
>>
>>2184678
They'll come at you even if you don't normally bribe them. Just stand near you and horse pretty hard. Maybe even nibble you.
>>
>>2184685
Also I've never seen any definitive blood oxytocin tests on horses being around people they enjoy so couldn't say.

Get some blood of the horse that enjoys you.
>>
So, anyone hyped for the Olympic equestrian competitions?
>>
File: giddyup.jpg (63KB, 636x490px) Image search: [Google]
giddyup.jpg
63KB, 636x490px
>>2184724
>>>/sp/69984440

Currently in this non-ded thread. Olympic coverage.
>>
>>2184942
Can't watch from that stream, unfortunately.
>>
>>2184724
What with the zika there's going to be a ton of foals with tiny little heads next year.
>>
>>2184958
It's possible it won't affect horses the same way it does humans.
>>
>>2185006
Possible. The after olympics party is basically a massive orgy so you know some horses are getting pregnant.
>>
>>2185210

Tbh I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't any breeding going on after various rounds are over. Live covers have much better odds of taking than AI, and you have the best of the best assembled which might never be in the same country again.
>>
>>2170599

what does /an/ think of animals willingly fucking owners for pleasure
>>
>>2185440
Exactly. While they're there might as well. Happens all the time.
>>
>>2185602
>>>/pol/
>>
File: jacket-model-hi-res-crop.jpg (103KB, 700x505px) Image search: [Google]
jacket-model-hi-res-crop.jpg
103KB, 700x505px
>>2175434

>They look so flimsy

So would an airbag if you could see where it's stored up.

We actually saw how useful these vests are just the other day in Rio. One of the riders fell off when his horse tripped over a jump, and then the horse rolled over on top of him. Without his helmet and vest, he definitely would have ended up in the hospital (or worse). Instead he and the horse walked away, shaken but fine.

You have professional riders who routinely attribute their ability to survive bad spills to their vests and other safety equipment. In one of the most dangerous Olympic sports, it's definitely worth it.
>>
File: 1470667531428.webm (2MB, 987x581px) Image search: [Google]
1470667531428.webm
2MB, 987x581px
>>>/sp/70039490

NEW THREAD IS UP. VERY ACTIVE FOR TODAY

CROSS COUNTRY.
>>
>>>/sp/70084348

JUMPING IS UP/MEDAL
>>
File: jp37.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jp37.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
FRANCE WINS GOLD. GERMANY SILVER. AUSTRALIA BRONZE.

Australia and New Zealand choked like crazy and hit several poles on both of their final riders.
>>
>>>/sp/70090436

Individuals now
>>
>>2185723
No, that would be "Is fucking animals degenerate?", to which the answer would be "Yes", accompanied by that image with interracial marriage divorce statistics, and a host of (You)s saying "fpbp".
>>
>>2187188
Don't forget a link to Conservopedia.
>>
>>2185787
I don't like that thread, it's full of ignorant people who know fuck-all about horses.

Dressage is the modern form of "manege", which were the movements a cavalry trooper trained with his horse in order to move about in the swirl of battle. All the "rules" of dressage were laid down for manege by a C17th military commander (albeit one that gave up when he lost and ran away to live in exile in the Netherlands).

Also, and I've said this in an /an/ horse general before, but horses in England are DEFINITELY not the sole reserve of posh people. Where I live in the rural North of England, you can't fucking piss for hitting a horse. They're fucking everywhere, and people from all walks of life are involved in them. Shockingly, rich people get access to the best horses and the best training, leading to a proliferation of them at international equestrian events.
>>
>>2185787
>who is the athlete in this """"""""""""""sport""""""""""""""""
To be honest I used to think that to ride a horse you just had to sit and that was all. Then I got on top of the horse and realised I was very, very wrong.
>>
Holy fuck, the equestian sports in this year's Olympics always happen when I'm at my classes. Is there any place that uploads it after it happened?
>>
>>2187224
I dunno, round West Yorks horses are seemingly only owned by farmers, posh prats and gypos (although they usually abandon one or two on rugby pitches). At the end of the day you need shitloads of land and spare time to keep horses, and the latter 2 are basically the only people with both those resources at hand. I don't know anyone with a horse/pony between those two extremes of the social spectrum.
>>
>>2187224

>I don't like that thread, it's full of ignorant people who know fuck-all about horses.

That's a standard for /sp/, honestly. The threads on equines may be active, but there's rarely a conversation worth having.
>>
Riding a stallion with a bunch of mares close by. It was suffering for everyone involved.
>>
Can you ride a horse drunk or a drunk horse where you are?
>>
>>2188197
Yup, in Maryland Horses are vehicles but not Hoverounds.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gtr&section=11-176&ext=html&session=2016RS&tab=subject5
>>
>>2188197
that's deep, like as long as the horse isn't drunk shouldn't it be fine?
>>
>>2188288
You would think. Here if the horse is drunk it's legal to ride it (well there's no law saying you can't) but if you're drunk then it's illegal.
>>
I'm surprised this board doesn't have more horse threads. Not enough rural anons?
>>
>>2189545
They're generally not active as it is, so they might as well post here.
>>
>>2189545
There's only two posters and a lot of proxies.
>>
I wish more people posted pictures of their horses, but I understand why they don't, because there are some weirdos here.
>>
>>2189772
They looks like this one horse at work.
>>
How do horses show affection?
>>
>>2190051
They don't try to kill you when you're standing around/riding them.
>>
>>2190051
Gently chew on you. Blast hot nostril air at you. Don't even hurt you.
>>
>>2179427
I don't understand why people think horses smell bad. When people think horses smell bad, it's usually a barn they're thinking of. Even barns don't smell bad either.
>>
File: cute-brown-horse-wallpaper-1.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
cute-brown-horse-wallpaper-1.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
>>2190051
They'll share breath with you and breath on you. If they're really close with you they'll just make contact with you, lean, touch you, whatever. They'll rest their heads on other horses they're close with too.
>>
>>2189772
I would, if I had a horse(s)
>>
>>2190174
People are weird though. They go around drinking coffee and screaming.
>>
>>2190174
Horses smell okay. But there was this one time they brought a lot of cows to the barn and the smell was awful.
>>
>>2191189
Cows smell bad, and pigs smell awful. Horses don't have much of a smell.
>>
File: Snapchat-8024858939543367372.jpg (906KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-8024858939543367372.jpg
906KB, 1080x1920px
>>2173765
I work and train POAs they are really not that bad.
>>
>>2191290
I've been to a show with them in Phoenix years back. Could definitely tell the difference between the "purebred" ones and the ones that mixed QH in.
>>
>>2191364
Yeah you can definitely tell, but I like them alot better than those damn shitlends
>>
File: 1111.jpg (176KB, 900x626px) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
176KB, 900x626px
>>
After working with horses for ~1 year I have made the financially devastating decision that I want one, or two, very badly.

I was a perfectly happy 26 year old guy with simple ambitions of a family, home and a decent car or two.

But now I want fucking horses. Goddamnit.

I just want to rescue a couple and they can chill in my paddocks and do horse stuff all day.
>>
>>2191464

Well, at least the good news is that if you only want some pasture pets they're dirt cheap. People even give them away for free sometimes. And if your land is good, and you're willing to do a lot of the work yourself, the cost also comes down considerably.
>>
File: 1400568075870.jpg (50KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
1400568075870.jpg
50KB, 500x335px
>>2191464
Just trade in the family and you can get a really nice one.

>I never married but now I own all the horse
>>
File: 1463015869241.gif (932KB, 258x258px) Image search: [Google]
1463015869241.gif
932KB, 258x258px
>>2192044
>Not marrying your horse
I mean it's 2016!
>>
>>2190174
some people are sensitive and don't like animal smells in general
>>
>>2192186
The MAN doesn't understand our love!

Seriously though, if you hypothetically did would the horse get citizenship and the rights a person would in that scenario? Hypothetically speaking.
>>
File: jp45.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jp45.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>>/sp/70457948

Another Medal Finals going on at Olympics for horses.
>>
>>2192225
True dat from working at petting zoo. Especially women. Think pygmy goat is gonna murder them.
>>
File: 1429529835489.jpg (73KB, 951x754px) Image search: [Google]
1429529835489.jpg
73KB, 951x754px
Got an interview relating to this tomorrow. Please make a blood sacrifice for me.
>>
Have you guys ever tried imitating neigh sound to a horse? Did it neigh back at you?
>>
WHY NO HORSE DANCING ANYMORE!!?!
The sport of sports, where is it? I NEED TO SEE RICH FUCKS ON DANCING HORSES MOTHERFUCKERS!!!! Everything else is pathetic, because it doesn't even involve money or training a animal. Ok sailing maybe, at least they're rich too! EVERYBODY ELSE FUCK OFF, NOTHING BEATS GAY HORSE DANCING!!!!!
>>
File: 1458440235512.jpg (93KB, 375x1197px) Image search: [Google]
1458440235512.jpg
93KB, 375x1197px
>>2192697
No, but I once played the sound of a horse neighing from my phone, which elicited a response from all of my horses. Not sure their neighs were that of a concerned cry, or a more "Hello" nature.

My horses are basically goant happy lawn ornements at this point, so they're pretty quiet.
>>
>>2170599
What does horse pussy feel like
>>
>>2179127
One of the stallions at the barn i went to was lead line led to mates to often that it would just not mate a mare without the line. Like it would stand there lookin at its owner all confused without it. Conditioning?
>>
>>2192964
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>2192970
That would suck for them if it was just hammered into them at this point.

>Man, I sure could use some sex but no one is around to observe so something bad might happen. Guess I'll just wait for a million years.
>>
>>2192697
That blowing sound they make usually elicits a response.
>>
>>2183162
>>2183290
those are seahorses, newb.
>>
File: IMG_20160816_085416.jpg (2MB, 2306x2883px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160816_085416.jpg
2MB, 2306x2883px
Aww minni are so cute!

This is one of my horses
"Poseidon's Gift"
Arabian x Andalusian cross
>>
>>2193582
Noice. Avoided that shovel-face arabians get.
>>
Anyone else really enjoy horses?
>>
>>2193582
just found my new phone wallpaper. fuckin gorgeous!
>>
>>2192720
Bahaha Gay horse dancing. Really. I control a 1000 pound animal with my butt and 4 fingers. Please come back at me when you have some talent. :p ohhh and dat appy ass
>>
This is my wallpaper and I'm never changing it. This was my paint who is sadly not with us.
>>
>>2193692
Paints have such funny coats.
>>
I know male x female sex is the most natural one, the only one that produces offspring, etc. But there's something wrong with sex among some horses. It seems most people prefer artificial insemination than actual mount. Because stallions are jerks and try even if the mare rejects him, they end up injuried and stuff. That seems like a big problem.
>>
>>2180726
>knights
>poor nutrition

They were shorter but not lacking any food.

>>2180720

Big fucking horses bred for generations to fight in wars.
>>
>>2194088
Haha yeh kinda. This is a gypsy cob cross but she has little paint markings. While her dam and sire had amazing markings.
>>
>>2192964
Like bags of sand.
>>
>>2194197
Does she have a really short barrel or is that just an optical illusion?
>>
>>2194301

Short backs are very standard for cart horses, it wouldn't be that unusual.
>>
>>2194367
It just looks...extra short. Worked it out though. The inner thigh of her right leg looked like her left leg to me.
>>
File: 1471634149535.webm (2MB, 1232x684px) Image search: [Google]
1471634149535.webm
2MB, 1232x684px
This is what you people actually enjoy?!
>>
I'm on the fatter side of things (5'8", now 215lbs), and am working on losing weight. What sort of point should I be at before I can think about calling around to see if anywhere will let me learn to ride?
>>
>>2194452
180lbs. You're past the hard part if you're under 250. Just keep doing the thing and you'll make it. I got from 344lbs to 150 in a lifetime.
>>
>>2194408

The general consensus is we enjoy horses. A lot of malcontent at the racing/jumping industry for making them there horses die.
>>
>>2194459
I've never been over 225, but depression and medication have slowly fucked my weight up over time. took up running recently though! so it's not all bad!
>>
>>2194408
I like them because they're cute like dogs not because of the retarded sports some rich fucks practice.

There's a connection between humans, dogs and horses.
>>
>>2194452
I ride 200 at 5'6". We use half-draft mutts though, and have seen heavier. And HAVE seen heavier on tinee tiny horses which isn't necessarily a good thing.
>>
>>2194408
This is how horses say "I love you".
>>
>>2194452
I'd do the 20% "rule" you and your tack should not be more than 20% of a healthy fit horse body weight. With that being said I would use that as pleasure riding rule.

I despise seeing heavier riders in competition because it is not fair at all to your horse. You are not fit enough to run a mile don't expect your horse to.

I am 5"2 135 I ride 13 hand ponies and up. I only compete if I am working out every day. I can't expect my horse to be 100% if im not.
>>
>>2194466
Good, just make sure your form is on point so you don't destroy your knees. It's a hard slog but means you don't die so it's all good really. Don't kill your knees though. Maybe get a bike or really watch your form.
>>
>>2194559

>Don't kill your knees though.

The best protection for that is actually weight lifting, in particular exercises like squats. Basically running mostly works the back of the legs and glutes, and mostly leaves the frontal muscle structure which holds the knee in place alone. Even if you move to something that's almost completely stress-free like swimming, building yourself up with proper weight lifting is still one of the best ways to avoid injury.

Also very important if running is your main exercise, especially if you want to transition to something like riding, is to include rotation and flexibility exercises. Running is a strictly back-and-forth movement, and not expanding past that is begging for injury.
>>
>>2194559
my knees are already wrecked from ballet, which sucks, and is also another reason why I got p heavy. I try and take it reasonably easy on them, and have good supports for when things get sore. Also I now have good running shoes with decent insoles.

>>2194584
I'll definitely check this out. I don't go swimming as much as I'd enjoy because of being self conscious about scars- not weight. How does yoga/tai chi/etc do in terms of adding the flexibility/rotation stuff?
>>
>>2194408
Horse realized a nigger was on top of him, handled it perfectly.
>>
>>2194765

Yoga and its compatriots are fantastic for flexibility, as well as many important basics like core strength. Just keep one simple rule in mind: they should stretch but never hurt. You're looking for a teacher who will give you options for how to increase and decrease the pressure, because if they're very insistant 'this is the only way to do this ever', they probably don't know what they're talking about and you'll likely end up with an injury.

>>2194125

A lot of issues from horse breeding come from stallions being undersocialized to the point they don't understand or care about social cues, and mares being unable to get away so they resort to more drastic means.

But the prevalence of AI is not so much about the risk (which can be mitigated pretty easily with hobbles, teaser studs, etc.) but far more to do with cost. Eliminating housing, getting multiple straws in one order so you have more 'chances' without paying for multiple coverings, and maintaining a reasonable price for semen so more mare owners would be interested makes a lot of economical sense. It also allows for a lot more genetic diversity than could be done with only live cover (particularly when you have very isolated populations such as the Australians).
>>
>>2194817 (You)

Should be "transport and housing".

I should also add that industries that mandate live cover (IE: racing) aren't doing so for the benefit of the horses, or even to prevent fraud, but are doing so for their pocket books. It's to creating an artificial scarcity which allows for astronomical stud fees, even for horses that are not yet proven producers.
>>
>>2194819
Not saying all the racing industry but most of it is terrible! Especially in the states.
>>
>>>/sp/70606545

Horse riding portion for MEN'S Modern Pentathlon coming up! It's gonna be a total clusterfuck as rider's only get 20 minutes and 5 jumps to get to know the horse!
>>
File: Canada_Drawgirl.png (134KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
Canada_Drawgirl.png
134KB, 680x453px
>When you scratch your horse in just the right spot, and they extend their neck and wiggle their head
Is there anything cuter?
>>
>>2195386
Uncontrollable flehmening.
>>
>>2194896
Who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>2195743

The point is to test horsemanship, the ability to quickly understand a mount and adapt to their particular needs. It's also an attempt to weed out those riders who are doing well not because of their skills, but because they had a particularly fantastic horse (unfortunately rather common).

Honestly my favorite part about the whole event is when the riders get their horses back. You generally see some really happy horses because they're back to who and what they know.
>>
File: 27893419_4441_d.jpg (70KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
27893419_4441_d.jpg
70KB, 960x720px
>aaaaAAAAAAWWWW YISS

>git this fine ass water on me fuck

>das it mane
>>
>>2195873
That's not water...
>>
>>2195874
lewd.
>>
>>2194166
"Big fucking horse" in the Middle Ages was about 15h. Lots of bone, though.
>>
Do horses honestly mind people riding them?
>>
>>2195974
Depends on the horse.
>>
>>2195974
depends on the rider.
fatties are a chore but amusing for the horse to buck down
>>
>>2195873
qt
>>
>>2195974

Hard to tell for sure. Horses are docile, domesticated animals that are trained to accept riders from quite a young age, and they probably would prefer spending all day in a rolling meadow hanging out with other horses doing horsey shit. However, you can't ask them and there aren't limitless rolling meadows for a bunch of freeloading horses to go live in anyway, so most of them are going to have to work for their keep. Considering how long they're actually ridden for, it shouldn't be too much of a raw deal if they otherwise have a comfortable life.
>>
How do horses play with each other? By running side by side?
>>
File: 1421928372653.gif (2MB, 320x212px) Image search: [Google]
1421928372653.gif
2MB, 320x212px
>>2196533
They get biz-ay
>>
File: 1421928632042.gif (997KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1421928632042.gif
997KB, 500x280px
>>
File: 1471889089260.png (646KB, 650x805px) Image search: [Google]
1471889089260.png
646KB, 650x805px
>>2172064
>>
File: 865865.gif (378KB, 294x224px) Image search: [Google]
865865.gif
378KB, 294x224px
>>2196497
>Mfw my horses pretty much just live in series of large meadows doing horsey shit
Are they living the dream?
>>
>>2196990

It sounds like someone made that up and was trying to make it as funny as possibly by using the smallest horse they knew of, even though no one would be showjumping on a Shetland pony and to be honest, a Shetland would cope better with a 200 pound rider than a taller, but more lightly built pony (though it's still too heavy for them). Would have worked better if they hadn't tried to exaggerate so much, there genuinely have been news stories about obese riders getting a wake-up call after killing their horse.
>>
File: 1454601376984.png (107KB, 540x521px) Image search: [Google]
1454601376984.png
107KB, 540x521px
>>2197023
>Tfw we live in a culture where if you point out someone is too fat to ride a horse, you're called a bigot
>Horses are literally dying as a result
>>
>>2172064
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnhorse
Come to Finland, I'm pretty sure even a half of an horse could carry you around here.
>>
>>2197057
Where to stay?
>>
One day in the future my parents and I would like to have some horses. We have no experience at all in raising horses though, what would be the best for starters? 2 mares, 2 geldings or what?
>>
>>2197624
40 hot blooded fury stallions.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 603x328px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 603x328px
>>2197668
>tfw can't relax in a hot tub filled up with steaming angry horse jizz
>>
>>2197035
>>2197023
I think I remember seeing a "this is think privilege" post about a ham complaining because a horse riding place wouldn't let her ride the horse
>>
Someone should just get rid of those people.
>>
>>2179699
ehhhhh... be careful what you wish for
>>
i'm allergic to horses and it's the worst

i can't even go to medieval times without going into severe respiratory distress
>>
>>2179699
I thought I was the only one who wanted one of these
>>
File: 1403393481692.jpg (345KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1403393481692.jpg
345KB, 640x640px
>>2179699
>tfw no rich batshit-crazy mare gf
>>
File: 1468350725569.png (318KB, 448x330px) Image search: [Google]
1468350725569.png
318KB, 448x330px
>>2198145
Anon why is there horse hair on the bottom of my pizza? I ordered a pony delivered pizza not a pizza delivered on a pony. Please applie your performance in future post deliveries posthaste.
>>
File: 200lbsOfPussyAndAss.webm (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
200lbsOfPussyAndAss.webm
2MB, 720x404px
>>2198230
You just drunk dialed me at four in the morning and screamed pizza pony down the phone. The fact I got this far says a lot.
>>
I heard some traning methods involve petting/caressing the horse when it does things right, as a reward. How does that even work? All horses I interact with seem to dislike when I touch them in any way, they avoid my hand, turn their head or walk away. Do horses even enjoy being pat?
>>
>>2170803
So, does that mean elephants, rhinos and other heavier animals can't lay down for long time too?
>>
>>2199389
They like it when I scratch their pectorals. Maybe they don't know you that well?
>>
File: DangerousRhino.jpg (21KB, 310x256px) Image search: [Google]
DangerousRhino.jpg
21KB, 310x256px
>>2199396
That's why rhinos spend most of their time in water. They kill more people in Africa a year than tigers.
>>
>>2199396

Basically. It's also a big reason why beached animals are screwed because their because their bodies were built for a weightless environment. Stuck on the ground, their own weight quickly starts to work against them.
>>
>>2199389
Some horses are soured on people and get cranky. Especially lesson horses.
>>
File: horses nodding heads.webm (509KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
horses nodding heads.webm
509KB, 320x240px
>>2199389
>Do horses even enjoy being pat?
Depends on the horse. Basically all of them hate getting their face petted/stroked. However most I've ran into enjoy getting their stomach lightly scratched.

Additionally, sometimes they try to itch their own bodies, like their sides. If you're there and you take over, they'll probably enjoy it.

Of course, all of the varies based on how much the horse knows you. Horses that are familiar with you are more likely to enjoy getting scratched.
>>
File: butt.jpg (68KB, 659x525px) Image search: [Google]
butt.jpg
68KB, 659x525px
>tfw your butt became too big for the fence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1aHUY3fkzI
>>
>>2200151

[Funk music playing in the background]
>>
>>2200151
This is why we have electric fences. Large, itchy horses.
>>
File: 1431849635185.png (71KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1431849635185.png
71KB, 250x250px
>>2200151
>>
>>2200151
>"What's the matter, human? Too much meat for you to handle?"
>>
>>2200151
Why do horses rub their butts on stuff? Just trying to scratch it?
>>
>>2200280
itchy ass, horses are very itchy
>>
>>2198473
VERY cuddly kitten rubbing at incredible hihg speed
>>
>>2194475
And cats too.

Don't forget the cats.
>>
>tfw my horse dissolved
>>
>>2200564
>marshmallow horses
>>/mlp/
>>
>>2200497
cats only connect to humans when they're convenient for them.
>>
File: 1471979360873.jpg (278KB, 500x967px) Image search: [Google]
1471979360873.jpg
278KB, 500x967px
>>2200151

The ass was fat
>>
>>2200722
*melted. Dismantled. English isn't good.
>>
Question: What purpose do salt licks serve, and why do horses like them? Wouldn't it just make them thirsty?
>>
>>2200280
Usually trying to itch their tail.
>>
>>2200774
Dismembered?
>>
>>2200897

Salt is pretty essential for health and preventing electrolyte imbalances. A deficiency can lead to reduced sweating (which is a problem, as horses are prone to overheating), muscle spasms and a reluctance to drink (which can then cause impaction colic, so it's quite a good thing if horses get thirsty). They normally manage to balance their intake fine if supplied with unlimited clean water and access to salt, and it's particularly important if they're worked hard.
>>
File: 1329725903_podborka_55-1.jpg (50KB, 481x700px) Image search: [Google]
1329725903_podborka_55-1.jpg
50KB, 481x700px
You called?
>>
>>2200564
But how?
>>
>>2201302
cute
>>
>>2201302
yes
>>
>>2191464
We bailed ours out of the kill pen in Peabody Ks.
Unwanted horses end up there and are sent to Mexico to be turned into hamburger unless they're bought back and given homes.
Greenwood Stables is one example of a rescue that bonds them out for adoption and is on FB
>>
>>2193690
>I control a 1000 pound animal with my butt and 4 fingers
Call me
>>
>So I told Khan to get on the unbroke horse.
>He actually did it, the absolute madman.
>>
How much does your horse cost you per month? I'm not a horse person at all I'm just curious.
>>
File: ponyfucker3.jpg (60KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
ponyfucker3.jpg
60KB, 500x460px
>>2202930
Would say $300-500 on average. Cheaper with own boarding and pasture. More expensive and luckily covered if you're daddy's spoiled little rich girl.
>>
File: 1862[1].jpg (21KB, 389x340px) Image search: [Google]
1862[1].jpg
21KB, 389x340px
What is the average length of a horse's body? Google gives an incorrect measurement, it was 8 feet but that length goes to the nose rather than the shoulder which is what I need to know
>>
>>2203008
At least a centimeter.
>>
>>2202931
>Would say $300-500 on average
Huh, that's a cheaper than I would have thought
>>
>>2203388

Cost honestly depends on a great deal of factors. What area you're in, what stable you're boarding at if you are, what sort of housing you want for your horse, how much you're willing and able to do yourself, etc..

Then there's initial or rare costs such as tack, and continual add-ons like hiring a trainer. If you show, especially in the US, the registration fees alone can be $1000 per weekend.

There are a ton of ways to cut costs, and if you're in a more rural area things tend to come down significantly compared to someplace more urban or high-end. But, at the same time, it's not hard for the amount per horse to spiral upwards.
>>
>>2177304
>I'm perfectly capable of carrying you, Sir.
>>
>>2175591
Can be prevented by looking at a fluffy thread.
>>
>>2192044
Damn....that's a good looking horse.
>>
File: Passage_animated.gif (2MB, 328x246px) Image search: [Google]
Passage_animated.gif
2MB, 328x246px
>>
File: hayisforhorses.webm (651KB, 210x374px) Image search: [Google]
hayisforhorses.webm
651KB, 210x374px
>>
>>2203572
Could you train them to do the same with a pizza?
>>
>>2203526
Weird conformation but they function.
>>
>>2203572

>sweetie!
>don't be that way, look I brought you some hay
>>
>>2203712
>tfw nobody brings you hay
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 636x358px
Barn drama on fb got me like
>>
>>2204153
where do you live? I'll bring you some.
>>
>>2204178
What was it about?
>>
File: IMG_20160815_221737179.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160815_221737179.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>2204178
True that! This is why I rent my own barn! No one but me and my pervert land Lord.

Who else has a saddle pad problem?
>>
>>2204180
The North
>>
>>2204469
Pole
>>
>>2204474
No. I'm not Satna
>>
>>2204482
*Satan
>>
>>2201437
There was a fire.
>>
Blog time.

Went to ride. Put tack on horse, all fine, go into ring, there's 2 horses lunging and 2 other horses riding. I thought "hey, I've been in this place with more people, this is manageable". Keep in mind this is a skittish horse that will spook at nearly anything and try to follow other horses, but I usually deal with that well.
Then there's a loud noise at the gate as I'm riding past it. Can't slowly take horse there to show him everything's fine, because there are too many people around and he constantly swerved so intensely (even though I constantly did my best for that not to happen) that he might crash into other horses getting lunged.

When the place calmed down a bit, I got off, walked horse to gate, attempted to calm him down, seemed fine, mount again, go there and get greeted by a really nice loud noise. And right after that, another person showed up to lunge their horse, so OOPS HAVE TO FUCKING STEER CLEAR AND HAVE NO SPACE AGAIN AND IT'S NOT LIKE I CAN MOVE PROPERLY IN THE RING AGAIN, NOW. So decided to just call it quits and put horse back in his stall since I clearly wasn't in a proper state to ride after all that frustrating shit now did I have the means to do it. Thus, I taught the horse that getting spooked is equivalent to going back home. Nice fucking job, self.
>>
File: Shetland-jumping.jpg (113KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shetland-jumping.jpg
113KB, 640x480px
>>2197023

There's a Shetland competition for basically any discipline you can think of, including showjumping. And since the age limit can be as high as 16, a 200lb rider is entirely possible.

That being said, I agree it sounds made up.
>>
>>2197671
Why even live?
>>
File: IMG_20160831_203219.jpg (1011KB, 2209x2102px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160831_203219.jpg
1011KB, 2209x2102px
>>2204821
That sucks. I hope you can have a good ride tomorrow.
I just broke my appy mare. Luckily she is extremely confident horse.
>>
I'm not a horse person since I'm from a city, but I watched some of the Dressage events at the Olympics and those outfits are 10/10
>>
>>2205038
You don't need to be a centaur to post here.
>>
how do i into horse?
i wanna into horse.
>>
>>2205277
Buy a few hectares and a giant multi story barn and 40 purebred akhal tekes, 40 arabian mares and one goat and a trillion gallons of hay. You can do the worming shots yourself to bring the cost down a little though.
>>
>>2205288
seriously though, i bet i can get straw and hay from my employer cheaply if i ask nice, and there is reasonably priced boarding available nearby,

is taking care of them as simple as people make it look like?

i take care of 700 heads of cattle every day, and i have had a brief introduction to horses in school,
>>
>>2205288
Why the goat?
>>
>>2179699
Had one of those.
Careful.
>>
>>2205292
For a friend to the horses.
>>
>>2205290
For real though there can be some unforeseen costs (I.E vet call outs) that can wreck your savings but I'd say boarding is the biggest cost here so if you've got that in the bag go for it after reading up on care/maybe taking some basic day courses and see how you get on.
>>
>>2205027
Yeah, things went well today. Thankfully, the horse didn't attempt to repeat anything from yesterday and I managed to do some other progress, so all in all, it went well.

Also, that's a pretty horse you got there, /an/on.
>>
>>2205330
don't worry, if it starts acting up, i am allowed to put it down and lay IV myself ;)

i have a few certifications that i am required to have at work.
>>
>>2205566

You should be really well off, then. As long as your grazing land is good, I've known people in your sort of situation who keep their horses for roughly a hundred per month.

If you know someone who really knows horses, head to a meat auction to get one. There are some phenomenal animals practically being given away because of how bad overpopulation is these days.
>>
>>2205553
Thanks, well that's good! I am doing cross country trials with her in the fall so freaken excited.
>>
I'm severely jealous of all of you have have horses.
I've never ridden a horse, but damn if I want to!
>>
>>
>>
File: 1.jpg (72KB, 580x464px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
72KB, 580x464px
Why there weren't many paint (or pinto, not sure. Not the breed, just the coat color) horses in the olympics?
>>
>>2205970

Not just any horse can handle the level that's required in the Olympics, and near every horse you'll see competing has come from a long line of champions because a very specific body type is necessitated. They tend to be mixes European light breeds such as warmbloods, thoroughbreds, etc. which are perfectly designed for these sports, and almost always come in solid colors.

Horse breeds which display pinto coloration tend to be too stocky to handle Grand Prix level competition. They're perfectly suited for Western disciplines, however, and you'll see them everywhere.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 975x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 975x600px
>dad is usually very predictable
>until the Day he went full Homer Simpson
>i was around 7 at the time
>suddenly one Day dad had to go to southern Europe
>he and uncle had bought a horse
>Like a $2-300k race mare
>drained savings and my trustfund in the process
>it wins us a second place on the national leaderboard
We_need_to_knock_this_bitch_up.exe
>get her some horsecock
>have foal
>i shit you not it was sold to an saudi sheik
>LOL NOPE! Have some HFMD
> export Ban
>vet bills slowly killing the dream
>Sell horses to lowest bidder. Almost.

TL;DR brits ruined my family
>>
>>2205995
That's quite out the blue.
>>
>>2204196
Green rider buying green horses and ruining them and then asking people to take care of/ train the horses for free
>>
File: Donkey_06.jpg (245KB, 1251x770px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_06.jpg
245KB, 1251x770px
>>
File: 1433164329250-1.jpg (62KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1433164329250-1.jpg
62KB, 300x300px
Bump.
>>
File: 1465809795079.jpg (55KB, 519x474px) Image search: [Google]
1465809795079.jpg
55KB, 519x474px
>>
File: 1430350336137.jpg (154KB, 991x609px) Image search: [Google]
1430350336137.jpg
154KB, 991x609px
>>
Are feral horses considered pests, invasive species, or are they okay animals?

I always felt bad for them. Horses are domestic so ideally they should be with humans... I am curious though how feral horses will differentiate from pet horses biologically in several centuries though.
>>
File: przewalskis-horse-two.jpg (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
przewalskis-horse-two.jpg
1MB, 1600x900px
>>2210152
Wild horses are generally a natural part of the environment. They're like any other grass eating animal, such as deer. In the Americas you could argue that they're invasive, because they were not found here before colonization, and thus wouldn't exist here naturally, but for the most part they maintain a perfectly acceptable niche in the Americas.

I've heard that horses are actually very quick to turn feral when they've had no human contact. They adapt quickly, and given that they have a herd (because all horses are social and would do bad to not have that interaction) should be fine in the wild. Przewalski's horse is the one wild breed of horse left, although their numbers are dwindling.

You should read about wild horses in America (mustangs and what not) as they use to be domesticated, but are now 'wild'.

Some obvious differences between a domesticated horse and wild horse would be body build. A wild horse is going to be smaller, and more fragile. Their hooves will be weaker and would have a hard time standing up to a rider. Their back would also struggle to hold a rider.
>>
>>2210147
I wonder if they enjoy hugs like dogs or some cats do
>>
>>2210192
This is advance horse contortion.
>>
>>2210192
Dogs don't enjoy hugs. They tolerate them.
>>
File: naomi3.jpg (41KB, 429x542px) Image search: [Google]
naomi3.jpg
41KB, 429x542px
>>2210176

>A wild horse is going to be smaller, and more fragile. Their hooves will be weaker and would have a hard time standing up to a rider. Their back would also struggle to hold a rider.

That's not true at all. Their hooves are significantly stronger out of necessity, they're hardier and more level-headed than their captive-raised counterparts, and they can handle most any discipline quite well. That they're smaller isn't even a disadvantage, really, because they're built so solidly.

Pic related, "Mustang Lady" who's a hall-of-famer for endurance.
>>
>>2210395
I was actually referring to the Przewalski's horse.

You have to remember that just a few generations ago, Mustangs themselves were domesticated horses. That's why they share so many characteristics with domesticated horses. They've only had a few generations (in the grand scheme of things, a blink of an eye) to mutate and evolve from their not so distant ancestors.

The Przewalski's horse on the other hand, is as I said, fragile and not meant to carry a human. Their hooves would crack and split under the weight.
>>
>>2210326
>Dogs don't enjoy hugs.

Fucking cat people pls go.
>>
File: kurd.png (359KB, 495x331px) Image search: [Google]
kurd.png
359KB, 495x331px
>>2170599
One day, I want to journey through the desert on a horse with no name.
>>
File: 1424998326018.jpg (244KB, 1024x1179px) Image search: [Google]
1424998326018.jpg
244KB, 1024x1179px
>>2210628
Your horse will be called Henry in that situation.
>>
>>2210418
It's true that MOST dogs don't enjoy hugs in the way that humans tend to give them. It makes most dogs feel uncomfortable or even nervous when people hug them.

That isn't to say that dogs don't enjoy affection, just that hugs are usually not the type of affection they enjoy. And of course, there are some dogs who DO genuinely enjoy hugs too.
>>
>>2210418
>implying you're not a cat trying to get people to hug dogs because they hate it
>>
I want this to be my life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iC1aJqc7GM
>>
>>2210729
>You came to the wrong neighbourhood motherfucker
>>
>>2210406
>Their hooves would crack and split under the weight.

Even a smallish wild horse can often weigh 800 pounds or more, and like any horse, their feet take a phenomenal amount of impact with that whole weight slamming down on just one or two hooves when galloping, cantering, jumping or even trotting. An extra 150-200 pounds of human weight is not that much, a small wild horse can naturally fluctuate in its own weight by that much and more over the course of the year.

You are however correct that wild horses may not have conformation suitable for riding and this can lead to weak backs that aren't suitable for weight bearing. Their size isn't necessarily a problem though, lots of landrace horses/ponies are small due to evolving in harsh conditions, and are still notoriously good weight-carriers.
>>
>>2210729
Icelandic horses are pretty neat. They have no natural predators in Iceland (aside from humans, that is), so they aren't very skittish. Also, the harsh environment has self-selected for horses that don't expend calories running unnecessarily from things that don't actually endanger them. The result is curious horses (most prey animals have innate curiosity) that are more likely to investigate than run away. I have an Icelandic and he is very different, psychologically, from any other horse I have worked with.
>>
>>2210406

Going to need a source on their hooves being as weak as you're saying. The environment they live in shouldn't allow them to be anything but quite tough.
>>
What do you make of those man-eating mares they found on the Galapagos islands in the 1800s?
>>
What happens to male wild horses when they grow up? Do they leave and try to form their own herd or do they remain in the herd they were born in? If an herd has more than 1 male, do they fight?
>>
>>2211250

Offspring, male and female, get driven/wander off when they come of age at about 2-3 years old. Young males may try to find mares of their own, but more likely they'll join up in a bachelor herd made up of stallions young and old. Females generally are adopted by another mare band fairly quickly.

You're not going to see a herd with more than one stallion, though it's not uncommon for there to be stragglers following behind. Usually they're unrelated opportunists waiting to drive the current stallion off, though sometimes it's a recently banished male.

When it comes to stallion confrontations, they're rarely what you'd call a fight since the risk of injury is so high. Generally it's just a lot of posturing until one runs off, and even when a fight does happen the loser generally runs off before anything serious.
>>
>there are retards that believe any piece of equipment used on a horse is inherently cruel
>>
>28363776
posting for this anon, can't promise a long discussion or even a reply if you just wanted to bait me but if you're serious I'll try to answer any questions.
>>
>>2211265
>bachelor herd made up of stallions young and old
Very interesting. But how do these work? Is there a "leader" in these bachelor herds (to lead them to the food/water, etc)? Do they fight amongst themselves?
>>
>>2211290
Pretty much all horse herds have a kind of "pecking order" though it's not really the best word since it's usually the younger horses that are acting like cunts. I am not 100% certain but most horses participate in the search for food or water and any horse can draw the heard in a direction. Only the lead horse really pushes a herd from behind. Typically though, the lead horse has experiance and life under their belt so they will be able to find things like food and water easier as long as theyre healthy.
>>
>>2211288
I'm mostly just curious to know a little more about your life experience with horses.

How long have you been riding? How many horses have you owned and/or trained? When did you transition to barefoot/bitless?

I also ride bitless and barefoot trim but I also have the advantage that every horse I currently own (I have 4) I got as foals from a place called last chance corral that rescues nursemare foals.
>>
>>2211293
Don't entertain this faggot, he's lying through his teeth.
>>
>>2211293
Not much, I learn from other experts who deal with horses their whole life and read up on horse literature and science as a hobby. I've ridden before but owning horses isn't just a lot of money but a lot of time and space. I really wouldn't be able to do it justice. A lot of people buy a horse or two but leave it on a share stable where the handlers often just stall it and let them go stir crazy. You really have to do what it sounds like you do to give them a good life; Get a small herd, at least 2, and give them the attention and care they need.

thankfully there are plenty of people on the internet now that can share their expertise and experience with me, or I'd really be just a know nothing sad suck. I guess you could say the cowboys ride on the horses, and I ride on the cowboys.
>>
>>2211300
Probably but I always play on the off chance they aren't baiting. slim chance on 4chan, but one of my best friends is like that and he's from here as well.
>>
>>2211302
Came here from the slave pony thread on mlp. Word of advice m8: if you have next to no real life experience you might want to tone that shit down. Like, a lot. You come off as an arrogant twat and just pretty much admit you have literally nothing to back it up - books, articles, and papers are not the same as life experience (why do you think so many employers prefer someone highly experienced over someone highly educated?). Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but the way you acted was childish and you're only doing your cause more harm than good behaving that way.

As someone with literally no experience with horses, gotta say just the way you presented yourself alone made me side with the other guy, regardless of the fact that I think there's some merit to your position based on things I've read myself.

Try to be a little more mature in future discussions, it will help people see things your way a lot more often than not. I'm not looking for a fight, just offering some advice.

Peace.
>>
>>2211319
>slave pony thread

I shudder to think what kind of degeneracy goes on over there.
>>
>>2211321
Horses are literally slaves so what's the difference?
>>
>>2211319
>baww I'm a baiting faggot
well, guess I was wrong.
Man these people. you just can't make this shit up.
to answer your question about employment, people want others with actual experiance because it takes skill and practice to do those things, and it takes much less to learn about them. Nobody in that thread was talking about how many horses they've trained dumbfuck, they talked about weather or not bits and shoes are harmful to horses, and the facts stand, they are. You getting into a hissy fit because someone can know that but doesn't personally own horses is just as retarded as dismissing someone arguing that climate change is real because they aren't actually personally a climate scientist. The evidence of the experts who spend all their time doing papers on horses are the exact kind of thing you claim you want from me, so the fact that I am endorsing their opinion and they have that experiance you think is so important is kind of mind bogglingly transparent in your delusion; You want an excuse to dismiss me because you don't like me, even though by your very own standards you should agree with me by the very fact that I am providing information from people who deal with a number of horses significantly higher than you or I could possibly handle or have the money for.

end yourself.
>>
>>2211328
You seem rather mentally unstable. I'm not the anon that asked you about your experience. I'm a writefag in the thread. Take a chill pill nigga, it's just the Internet, this shit right here is exactly what I'm talking about.
>>
>>2210867
You may have a point with their hooves. I just remember reading about it somewhere once. It wasn't necessarily about the Przewalski's horse but about wild horses in general, including extinct breeds. If I can find It I won't hesitate to link you.
I would argue thought that while their hooves can withstand some force, prolonged exposure to extra weight will cause problems. Hooves are more dellicate then you may think.

>>2210880
I can't find/am too lazy to provide a source. However I think you're picturing it wrong. Hooves are like diamonds (not the best comparison but stick with me). Really hard and tough. Things are gonna have a hard time scratching them and wearing it down . But, if you put to much weight on them they'll fracture and break very easily. They're very strong in some ways, weak in others.

I may have over exaggerated my claims, and I have no evidence to support them, but let it be said there is a reason we have to shoe horses even today. After thousands of years of selective breeding and evolution to better conform to humans, we still need to stick metal bands on their hooves to help them support our extra weight.
>>
>>2211335
why don't you chill, I'm a writefag to. You don't get to talk down to people and pretend you're ending an arguement, as I made clear for at least 5 posts, reacting in this manner is deliberately prolonging it
>>
>>2211337

>I can't find/am too lazy to provide a source.
>I have no evidence to support them

There's no evidence to support your assertion because you're wrong.

We shoe horses today not because of rider's weight but to improve traction, reduce impact (from hard ground like pavement or hard landings like show jumping), and frankly to fix what selective breeding has done. The prevalence of Native Dancer's glassy ankles in thoroughbreds is a great example of how selective breeding can easily screw up as much as it helps, as is the fact that domesticated horses require tons of attention and care from a farrier (even those which have never been riden) which doesn't exist out in the wild. Husbandry techniques such as excessive stalling and early weaning have also contributed to weakening hooves, not strengthening them.

Nature doesn't coddle and foster weakness like domestication can. Bad teeth? Dead. Weak joints? Dead. Bad hooves? Dead. We see these issues all the time in domesticated animals, but wild horses routinely come in without them because they wouldn't survive otherwise. I'm not at all saying the hoof is invulnerable even in wild populations, but to suggest that domesticated populations have stronger ones is just not true.

And, to add, there's actually quite a bit of debate right now about whether horses (even ridden ones) need to be shod or not.

http://dressagetoday.com/article/barefoot-dressage-with-shannon-peters-12540
>>
>>2211510
>We shoe horses today not because of rider's weight but to improve traction, reduce impact (from hard ground like pavement or hard landings like show jumping), and frankly to fix what selective breeding has done.

shoes actually make those things worse, not better. impact is increased, nails make the hooves even more brittle and keep them from flexing. not the person you are replying to, but shoes are awful for horses, the best you can get away with if needed are booties since they are removable if you need your horse to have extra traction or strength right now, but actual metal nailed in shoes are not good for the hoof and only serves to make those problems worse and last longer. A horses feet should be taken care of by a ferrier and obviously if the horse has been stalled by morons and otherwise let their hooves slowly rot away, the answer is to get the the exercise and conditioning they need, not slap a quick fix.
>>
What is the most beautiful horse objectively?
>>
File: gipsy_vanner.gif (58KB, 276x302px) Image search: [Google]
gipsy_vanner.gif
58KB, 276x302px
>>2212415
>asking about the most subjective thing
>objectively

I'd say Irish Cob though or Andalusians.

Most normies say Arabians but those horses look horribly deformed to me.
>>
>>2212686
vanners are the sparkledogs of the horse world.
>>
File: 1400722892038.jpg (80KB, 1038x780px) Image search: [Google]
1400722892038.jpg
80KB, 1038x780px
>>2212686
>arabians

Maybe from the neck down. Severe desert nostrils and shovel face.

Friesians are nice. They're so nice anyone that looks at them too long dies.
>>
File: Prancing around all regal like.jpg (133KB, 800x623px) Image search: [Google]
Prancing around all regal like.jpg
133KB, 800x623px
>>2212756
>>2212686
>Long messy hair
>Not wanting a reserved and elegant yet powerful looking horse
Your taste a shit, my taste wins.
>>
>>2213133
Short manes are silly.
>>
>>2213188
If you ever say anything about short manes I will not hesitate to kill you.
>>
>>2213407
Long manes where it at, m8.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.