[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with stray kitten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

Hey /an/,

I'll admit it now: never done this before. Picked up a stray kitten who was being harrassed by a local doggo, he doesn't meow and only growls at my other cats meaning it's probably not used to being around humans. He has a ton of fleas, which I've mostly picked off. We don't have access to any raw or diced meats in the house and our wet and dry cat food is for our 2 - 3 year-old cats. It's not exactly a newborn, but he's visibly younger than they are, so I think I'd rather ask you guys what's the best or commonly recommended procedure for this kind of thing?

Pic related, it's the kitten
>>
>>2170452
Take it to a vet, jesus christ
>>
>>2170456
It's the dead of night, just started a new job so no money, and just trying to help this cat out. No need to be a dick anon.
>>
>>2170452
That cat looks old enough for regular cat food.
>>
>>2170452
That doesn't look like a kitten. You need to get some kind of flea and tick shit on it asap.
>>
>>2170452
>kitten
Definitely not, op.
>>
>>2170458
If you think that anon was a dick then stick around
>>
>fleas
>thinking you picked them all off
NO NO NO

Go get your other animals preventatives, give the strategy a dose of CAPSTAR, and give the stray a medicated bath with the Adams shampoo in the blue bottle ASAP. It MUST be the Adams shampoo as it is one of the very few products that kill fleas at all life stages. Like literally go to the second they open and do this. Do NOT fuck around with fleas. If you do this NOW, you can just keep the animals on preventatives for 6 months and you will be fine. The above is my protocol for taking in rescues/strays after learning the hard way.

Call your vet and get him an appointment for his vaccines, neuter, and also ask for some deworker. He probably has worms, as most strays do. Also ask to see if he has ear mites. If you can't afford the neuter, do that later but you MUST get him down there for vax and a dewormer. The vet will also give you an idea of his age.

If you cannot afford the neuter, research low cost spay/neuter in your area and get it done ASAP. He looks like an old Tom, which means he will be spraying like a mother fucker. I assume you don't want your house to be covered in cat piss.

As per the cat itself, that is not a kitten. He is a fully grown, handsome young man, and definitely old enough to be on cat food for adult cats.
>>
>>2170452
What are you gonna name him?
>>
>>2170458
you're better off leaving it where you found it then.
>>
>>2170590

I never said I thought I could pick them all off, just the ones I can see. I'm not completely delusional.

Aside from that, a lot of good information. Appreciate it.

>>2170526
>>2170527
>>2170529

I now see that I'm a poor judge of feline age. Noted.

>>2170833

Creamsicle. He's mostly orange with a long stretch of white on his tail. "Creamy" for short.
>>
>>2171184
>Creamy

Cute
>>
>stupid poorfags trying to "rescue" strays they can't support

just give it to the animal shelter before your house is infested with fleas. frontline alone is $80.
>>
>>2171191

>bitter posters trying to passively insult people asking for advice on an anonymous imageboard

That's why I'm asking.

>>2171187

Glad you agree! He doesn't have the personality for a non-cute name.
>>
>>2171193
No, I'm directly insulting you because you're a fucking retard. You just picked up an adult tomcat, who's going to piss on everything, is covered in fleas, and is anti-social with your other cats. You already let them make contact with him and your house. Now your cats and your home are also infested in fleas. Plus you have no money to afford flea treatments, pest control, or even take the poor cat to a vet.

You're not 8 years old. Stop thinking of cutesy names for the cat and actually consider whether you can afford to take on the expenses of a stray.
>>
>>2171195

Alright. And I'll solve the problems I created, being a functioning adult who doesn't lash out at people on the internet unprovoked.

Please consider that someone asking for help may be listening to the advice they receive.
>>
>>2171196
>Unprovoked
It provokes me when people are so irresponsible with animals because they don't think like a grown adult
>>
>>2171198

I'm attempting to ask for help in finding out what the best course of action for this cat is. "You stupid, poor 8 year old, enjoy your fleas" isn't exactly a response from the pinnacle of maturity. So unless you at least have something constructive to say that assumes that I'm trying to help this cat and doesn't assume details about my life outside of the questions I've asked, please do something else with your time.
>>
File: 1404396775385.jpg (25KB, 500x302px) Image search: [Google]
1404396775385.jpg
25KB, 500x302px
>>2171204
>finding out what the best course of action for this cat is
you've already been told what the best course of action is, surrender it to a shelter.

you should be on your way to the shelter right now instead of mouthing your opinion no one cares about.
>>
>>2171204
>i'm trying to help you guys!!!!
>nevermind that i can't logistically afford this cat
>i'm such a good savior!!!
>btw what should i name it haha
>>
>>2171206
>>2171208

I see now that there really is no board on this site whose foundation isn't jaded loneliness.

I'd like to thank >>2170590 for giving me actual useful information. Hopefully you'll see this and know that I did learn something from your post.
>>
Keep the cat separated from your other cats. The only contact they should have is under a door or through a baby gate for at least a few days, if not a week or two, if you plan on keeping it. Keep in mind that he might never adjust to other cats, and you may have no choice but to send him to a shelter, for his own good and for the good of your existing pets.

If you're feeling brave, you can wash the cat in Dawn dish soap. Leave it on for five minutes before you rinse. That should kill any fleas that are on him.

To kill fleas in the home, vacuum at least twice. I'd do it more than that. Don't forget the crevices in the furniture.

Get him altered ASAP, preferably while you're still separating him from the other cats. There are places that do it at discounted prices, usually they have limited hours and you have to be persistent to get an appointment. Get him vaccinated for the safety of your other pets.

But seriously, don't try to keep him if he and your other cats hate eachother. Please.
>>
>>2171209
>actual useful information

you mean telling you what you want to hear.

/an/ isn't a hugbox, maybe try >>>/reddit/ next time.

remember to keep your fleaball indoors.
>>
I guess the least that you could do is take it to a vet or shelter to be fixed and then released. They might do it for free.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.