[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me /an/, you're my only hope

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 20160718_184713.jpg (2MB, 3273x2025px) Image search: [Google]
20160718_184713.jpg
2MB, 3273x2025px
Hey /an/, this is my new betta fish, Prince Lothric. I got him 3 days ago. Yesterday I had to transport him and he was clearly stressed. He was fine this morning, but I checked on him when I came home from work to find him looking like this.

He's not lethargic, his fins aren't clumped, and he ate today. He lives in a 4 gal fishbowl with a carbon filter but no heater (I live in a warm country and the petshop guy said I don't need one). But I'm scared shitless about this growth on his side. As you can see it's slightly fuzzy and flesh-coloured. It's spread to his other side too but not as severely.

Googling has yielded jack shit. I believe he has velvet, a bacterial infection, or a fungal infection. But that doesn't help much. Please, /an/ help me identify what's wrong with him and tell me how to treat him. I'll do anything for him to survive, even by a new tank. I just don't fucking want him to die.
>>
http://www.tetra-fish.com/aquarium-information/aquarium-fish-diseases-how-to-spot-them.aspx

Fungus, homie.
>>
>>2169968
Thanks m8.

I'm worried that there might be some underlying problem though. There are no other fish in the tank and nothing he could have injured himself on. If it's a bacterial infection he picked up at the pet shop, should I treat it the same or?
>>
>>2169971
Did he come in a little cup? Those things are death camps
>>
>>2169973
No, he was in a large communal tank.
>>
>>2169975
Almost as bad as death camps, he could have picked that disease up from any other fish in that tank, many diseases/illnesses/parasites don't give a fuck about specific species. Like Ich. And fish can "hide" diseases until stress weakens their immune system, then all of a sudden that individual fish breaks out, and also infects everything/everyone else in the tank.

Go buy a heater and an airstone suitable for 4 gallons, also buy anti-fungal medicine, as well as aquarium salt and an aquarium grade sponge.

Use the heater to raise the temperature into the higher ranges that bettas can comfortably live in. This will help boost their immune system by speeding up their metabolism slightly. The ability to digest food faster means they have more energy to fight the illness. Then dose the tank with aquarium salt and the anti-fungal medicine.

Stick the new sponge on the airstone and put that in the tank too. The airstone will pump water and oxygen through the sponge, which will become home to beneficial bacteria, which will help remove ammonia and other harmful things from the bettas waste/urine. The less there is of that in the tank, the healthier he will be. The airstone itself will help oxygenate the water, which always helps, but the sponge will make sure the current isn't too strong.

Also, try to order some indian almond leaves, and other sources of tannins, for your tank. Those have anti-fungal properties and the tannins in the leaves help reduce stress. Both of which can vastly improve your bettas health. Now, and in preventing illnesses in the future.
>>
>>2170020
Thanks for the advice, anon. I already have an airstone with sponge set up. Going to buy salt and anti-fungal shit tomorrow.

Do you think I should do a full water change? A couple of websites were recommending several complete changes with fungicide added after each one. It seems logical, but I asked my sister who keeps a lot of fish and she said it'll just stress him out and get rid of beneficial bacteria.

Also should I take out and clean the sponge that's already in the airstone? Could the fungus hide in there or will the fungicide take care of that?

Don't know where I can get Indian almond leaves because I live in a 3rd world shithole.
>>
>>2170040
Don't do a one hundred percent water change. Your sister is indeed right, removing all of the ammonia will starve the beneficial bacteria you have already built up, then once they all die, you'll have nothing left to remove the new ammonia that builds up.

How often do you already perform water changes?

And yes, it is safe to remove the sponge and clean it. But do not use soap or bleach or any other harmful chemicals. Essentially, take the sponge off while performing a water change, hold it under the surface of the container that has the old water you want to throw away, and gently squeeze it/swish it around. Rub off any mucky goopy stuff clogging up the surface. Then put it back, and add the fresh water and medicine.

Do you have any kind of wood decorations in town? In stores where you buy pet supplies? Certain kinds of "driftwood" release tannins as well. Mopani wood, if I remember correctly, releases it quite well.

You'd only need a small piece of wood. But just make sure you aren't getting scammed. Some woods do nothing at all, and some can even kill your fish because it's "too young" and will leech toxins like tree sap into the water. Not to mention after a while they can cause a huge mess by rotting and decaying inside the tank.
>>
>>2170045
I have a piece of mopani wood in the tank already, I can see by the colour of the water that it's releasing tannins.

Like I said I've only had him for 3 days but I'm planning to do a 50% water change every week. I had to one yesterday because I was moving him to my new flat and couldn't do it with a full tank. I'm worried that that's what fucked him up.
>>
>>2170045
or just go outside, locate some hardwood and soak it in a bucket for a long while.
>>
>>2170046
It's just stress in general, there's no helping it, so don't feel guilty.

And if you've only had the tank three days then large water changes won't yet affect the bacteria because they haven't built up yet to a sizable population.

It usually takes a month or two, depending on the individual aquariums and their inhabitants.
Go ahead and do the regular water changes as you planned.

All you can really do now is dose the tank with medicine and wait it out.
>>
>>2170047
Do you want to kill everything in OP's tank?

Cause that is how you kill everything in OP's tank.
>>
>>2170209
I always find my own driftwood and I've never had any issues.
>>
>>2170047
>or just go outside, locate some hardwood and soak it in a bucket for a long while.
>for a long while.

as in a year. Its better to just go buy some wood than wait that long
>>
>>2170207
Thanks for all your advice anon. I don't think he's going to make it. The fungus has spread all over his body and he's lying on his side barely breathing. Man I know I sound like a pussy but I loved that fish and wanted everything to be right for him.

If I get a new fish, should I do a complete water change and wash the pebbles, airstone etc. beforehand? Or should I just treat the tank with fungicide and leave the water as is?
>>
>>2170423

My sister's beta fish once lay down at the bottom of the tank and didn't move for 7 days. The only reason she didn't flush it in that time like you normally would with any dead fish is because she's a lazy piece of shit.

After 7 days it woke up like nothing happened.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't give up yet
>>
Is it making bubble nests?
Maybe this is part of the reproduction phase... kinda lifeless looking?
>>
>>2171800
>>2171842
He's dead. I buried him under a nice tree and am preparing the tank for a new fish. Thanks for helping though. Wish there was more I could have done.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.