[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Full time employment + dog owner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

I'm soon getting a full time job and I don't have anyone to take care of my dog. There's a bunch of websites full of students who apparently are all animal experts and would just love taking care of dogs. The thing is that they're all super fishy and not inexpensive either.
The only doggy day care in town is pretty far away and super expensive, literally half of my monthly income. The salary is good, by the way.

So what does everyone do with their dogs if they don't have family to take care of them? Most people have jobs and at least half the population here has dogs, so there must be tons of people having the same problem.
>>
Dog walkers. Get someone else to go by your house and pick up your dog, take him to the park and stuff, then drop him at home. Or they do it themselves - do you work close to home? Maybe you can come on your lunch break to let the dog out and then go back
>>
what shitty country do you live in where you don't get any break time at your job?
>>
I walk them before I leave, feed them and hang out with them in the mornint, and then crate them. I almost always come home for lunch, but they can make it if I don't (I know it isn't ideal which is why I rarely do it).

I give them a Kong or something before I go so they have something to do for the first few minutes of being alone. I am sure they mind, but they obey like good boys and girls when I ask then to get in their crate.
>>
i used to wake up extra early and take my dog for a long walk before leaving him 12+ hours while i worked and then take him for another long walk when i got home

i let him sleep in the bed with me so he doesn't feel terribly lonely

i don't live alone anymore so my dog is hardly ever left alone but it can be done

it's not ideal but i reckon it's a happier situation than living at a shelter or being euthanized
>>
>>2169863
>>2169861
You get a 30 minute break time, that's just enough to get home. I could potentially take 1 hour, but the problem isn't just that my dog has to pee, but that she can't be alone for 7-8 hours a day because it's inhumane

>>2169866
>>2169871
yeah that's what I'm afraid of doing. I mean of course it's better than being in a shelter, but it's still pretty shitty + my dog has horrible separation anxiety. She's very bonded and dependent so I'd really feel like human trash for doing that. It would be better to find her a better home if there is no other choice, but I'd probably rather pay half my salary than do that.
>>
>>2169863
>implying OP works very close to home
>>
Dog can be fine if left all alone for 7-8 hours. If you're ok letting them roam around while you're gone, they can find lots of stimulation by looking out windows and such. Don't crate them for the whole time you're gone. Leave it open so if they get tired or bored they can go in the crate and rest.
>>
>>2169875
It's not ideal, but I also wouldn't go as far to call it shitty. Neither of my dogs have separation anxiety. They go to their crates peacefully and don't make a fuss when I leave. Like I said, not ideal, but they are both happy and cheerful dogs.

Maybe you could work on your dog's separation anxiety first.
>>
My dog has separation anxiety but my husband works and I go to grad school full time. We just leave him and the cat and they are fine. The crate gives him anxiety attacks so we just let them free-roam. He is super happy when we get home and we take him for another walk and he's fine
>>
>>2169886
Yeah me and my husband are both full time employed so maybe we can arrange the schedules so our dog would be alone 5 hours at most.

Ours hates crates too, although being a small and otherwise calm dog, she's destroyed 2 super strong wire crates. We did crate train correctly, but she just never liked being there no matter what we did.

So I guess that will have to to, being alone for around 3 hours and the rest with a dog walker? I'm not really comfortable giving someone my house keys though. Might want to ask all the neighbours first.
>>
>>2169892
Someone's bound to have a kid looking to make a couple bucks
>>
On the other side of the story: How do I become a dog walker in my free time? I'd love to as I don't have all the funds necessary for actually owning my own dog, but I can still purchase stuff to make walking dogs more pleasant for them. How do I not appear shady? I love dogs and want them in my life but can't really own one at this time

Please advise
>>
>>2169949
put up signs in your neighborhood and at all the vets and shelters. post on craigslist. ask all your friends and relatives if they know anyone who needs a dog-walker.
>>
>>2169949
Volunteer at a shelter senpai.
>>
>>2169903
>not wanting to hire irresponsible students
>not wanting to give house keys to strangers
I'm sure there's stupid 10 year olds who would love to take care of your dog!
No.
>>
>>2170506
I used to take care of neighbors' dogs when I was a kid. They knew me since I was always around and if I stole or broke something (I never did), they knew my parents and where I lived.
>>
>>2169960
Definitely this. Plus it's emotionally rewarding and won't cost anything
>>
>>2170606
Good for you but I don't know any kids and don't want to either
>>
>Imagine being stuck in box aka crate for 7-8 hours every day
How is this not animal cruelty?
>>
>>2171256
because dogs are not humans and don't process the passage of time the same way we do
>>
I'm in a similar situation, I want to work part time but I have a border collie with separation anxiety. I can't even go get the mail without her.

Even if my brother and father are home, it doesn't matter. She'll still sit by the door and wait for me. They don't matter if I'm gone.
>>
>>2171256
That's the whole point of this thread. I don't want to do such a thing which is why I'm looking for alternatives

>>2171293
Mine is OK around others as long as she knows them, so I got that going for me
>>
>>2171293
>I have a border collie with separation anxiety. I can't even go get the mail without her.
she'll never get over her separation anxiety if you never leave her alone
>>
>>2172194
I know. I'm gonna have to work on it. :(
>>
Crate him/her while you're gone. Doggos prefer it, they're in their den all day sleeping and playing with kong/rope/whatever while you're gone. No big deal.

t. full time student
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.