[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog doesn't want to go outside

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: poodle_1472117c.jpg (22KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
poodle_1472117c.jpg
22KB, 460x288px
I got a new puppy several months ago when the season was changing into spring, and he loved going outside like any normal dog. But as the temperature has gotten hot around here (80-90 degrees F), he hesitates at even going near the front door.

It's not a big problem when it comes to exercise since he's a little guy, but he just doesn't want to go outside anymore. If I coax him out, he turns around to get back inside a minute later. It's a little easier in the evenings and at night, but it tends to still be hot and humid around here even after the sun goes down. I think he needs at least some fresh air once in a while, and I want him to get his vitamin D. I don't think anything's physically wrong with him (haven't seen anything else off with his behavior or physically), he recently had a vet checkup. What do?
>>
>>2169764
Just put a leash on him and bring him out with you, eventually he'll be fine. If he has a heavy coat you could shave it down a bit.
>>
>>2169764
Hypertrichosis + vitamin d = no.
This is why your dog's coat reflects light and his whiskers are fluorescent.
He does not need sunlight. Especially not midsummer sunlight.

Did you shave an undercoat off? I have no other real answers.
>>
>>2169771
Undercoat is there to protect the skin from light*
I doubt you shaved it, now that I read it's young, but take note that humans and animals with the disorder get really screwy during summer.
Well let's be real here: It's hell. Some dogs react less, dependant on their coat and breed.
White dogs like poodles and bischons usually have an additional disorder that turns sunlight exposure into pure, hellish pain. Same shit that causes red tear stains.

Give the dog a better option, like shade and minimal time outside. It's summer, you can't do anything but watch them stress out about it.
>>
Are you walking him on pavement? Has the pavement gotten really hot? Maybe the pads of his feet hurt when he goes on walks. I think some people use dog booties for that.
>>
>>2169773
He's a (mostly gray with spots of black) poodle with a shorter haircut since it's summer, but not bordering on bald. I've never heard of hypertrichosis and that dogs could have it, but I don't notice anything unusual about his hair or hair growth compared to other poodles I've seen. It's not especially shiny and I brush him daily.

He doesn't even want to go into the backyard (which is in shade most of the day) anymore, unless I really coax him or use treats. I'm always with him while he's outside and nothing particular has happened to him while out of the house that I can recall.

>>2169777
No, he mostly hangs out in the yard (large front and back yard that's right next to a larger field). I use a leash but I don't make him walk on the pavement since I know how hot it can get.
>>
>>2169780
HT is just genetically there.
Poodles, like said, do not like sun.
Check out porphyria wiki article for the rest of your answers, sir. Red tear stains on a couple breeds means porphyrin.
These animals have no tolerance for the sun, he is probably associating going outside with getting sick. I can't help much more, you gotta dig through that article and even then it's confusing.
>>
>>2169801
>red tear stains
Oh my god I guess I have to read up more on this. I didn't mean to make him feel miserable, I just didn't want him to stay cooped up in all day during his first summer.
>>
>>2169804
He's still learning what's going on with his body too, just take walks before sunrise and after sunset. Took me til I was 23 to understand this but I still go out in the sun, I have to eat and survive so staying inside can't always happen.
It's just the breed. Let him grow his hair back out and he'll be more comfortable.
Watch out for ambient UV too, it reflects off shit so even being in the shade mid day can cause sickness.
I don't burn so bad, but I randomly scar and get wounds from nothing + severe nausea, cramps, anger, confusion, muscle pain, hallucinations (mainly dot matrixes), loss of appetite (for days, or until inebriated), rapid heartbeat, palpitations and hyperhydrosis. Is fun. Basically a vitamin D allergy. Just become a night person if you can, or stick to dawn/dusk.
>>
>>2169804
This isn't a dead serious medical issue, just do what you do, but with less light.
There will most likely be nausea and confusion with random emotional changes after exposure to UV, but doggos have fur for this so the effects are nowhere near the human version.

Make sure he will go to the bathroom during the day, fast trip, or you'll have issues.
You know now why he doesn't fuck with staying out there at least.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.