[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dead ducks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Hey /an/. I own ducks at my house, 6 to be exact. Two died last night and one is injured. I'm pretty sure a raccoon got into the pen. Does anyone here know any ways i can stop this from happening again, or if i can fix up the injured duck? I promise i'll post pics later, its raining where i am
>>
>>2168734

A raccoon is unlikely; they don't typically take on live prey bigger than a rat or lizard. Bobcat, fox or coyote is more likely, especially if 2 are dead.

Sorry op
>>
>>2168734
where are you from? it was probably a weasel, stoat or whatever equivalent in your area; those little fucks get on killing frenzies when rabid and show no mercy

my grandma for instance had over 100 rabbits and one of them killed them all overnight

get a cat, the smell will drive them off
>>
>>2168802
I'm from Georgia
>>
>>2168783
>>2168802
While I'm not going to say it wasn't one of the things also mentioned here, I'd advise against listening to these posters about raccoons. I own chickens and I've lost plenty of them to raccoons.

It is actually very likely that it may have been a raccoon if the carcasses were left there. Coyotes, foxes and any type of cat will attempt to drag prey away in my experience. I've never dealt with weasels before but they're small, so I'd assume they'd leave their kills as is, so that's a valid option too, depending on where you live.

I took care of my coon problem by reinforcing the pen better and by trapping and killing coons. I just trapped them and killed them until they stopped showing up in my traps, and that was like 7-8 coons in.

From my experience, feral cats and raccoons are the two biggest chicken killers to be alert for, I've never had much trouble with wild canines or hawks.
>>
>>2168808
The corpses were there. One duck had blood all over it and the other one was fine, i believe the other one had a heart attack
>>
>>2168815
kek

what a terrible night for them, what's the name of the one whose heart imploded in terror?
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 750x729px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 750x729px
>>2168819
It was a cayuga duck (pic related)
>>
>>2168824
Just secure your ducks better, put out some box traps, and kill whatever you catch, or release it far away from you. Of course unless it a harmless animal or something
>>
>>2168836
Thinking about putting the ducks in the basement in cages, though i'm worried the injured duck will die from stress
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3021x2199px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3021x2199px
I went ahead and set up a trap, i'll tell you guys if the fucker comes
>>
>>2168871
Post pics of the injuries. I once nursed a chicken back to health after a REALLY nasty raccoon mauling that most wouldn't think she could have survived. Fowl are sturdier than you might think, although I don't have much experience with ducks specifically so it's possible they could be different

>>2168919
Yeah please post some pics if you catch anything. I'd recommend some smelliest bait though, just to be safe.
>>
>>2168971
Gonna sleep near the pen tonight in a tent. I heard my neigbors lost half their chickens this week, so i'm gonna stay up late
>>
UPDATE: Ducks are fine, had them in separatwd pens
>>
>>2169212
Catch anything?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (141KB, 1155x768px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
141KB, 1155x768px
>>
>>2169226
Sadly, no. But the injured bird is doing better
>>
File: image.jpg (288KB, 904x1438px)
image.jpg
288KB, 904x1438px
Might get some new ducks, have 4 males and 2 females right now. Thinking about getting 3 females and 1 male, is that alright? (Pic related, Welsh Harlequin i own)
>>
>Buy a .22 rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with birdshot and with a tight choke
>camp out at night
>wait for the offending creature to emerge in search of more succulent duck meat
>blow the fucker away
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.