[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruining your childhood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: 1232583112939.jpg (847KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1232583112939.jpg
847KB, 2560x1920px
http://www.gizmag.com/dinosaurs-mouths-roar/44281/

So it turns out T-Rex didn't roar. No seriously. They coo like fucking pigeons.

As more shit is uncovered they will probably seen as the least terrifying predators that ever existed on earth.
>>
>http://www.gizmag.com/
Great source, millennial. Not ruining my childhood.
>>
>>2165990
Bird-like dinosaurs would obviously make bird-like noises.
>>
>>2165990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUiSAo_ie0
>>
>>2165990
Pigeon cooing can be fucking horrifying. Didn't you ever see the organs episode of invader zim?
>>
>>2165990
We don't know shit about them expect for a genral shape. They could have roared and nothing you or your dumb scientist freinds say will convince me otherwise.
>>
>>2166022
>We don't know shit about them
the vast majority of all dinosaurs are modern birds.

we know plenty about them.
>>
File: 1434409888855.gif (988KB, 294x224px) Image search: [Google]
1434409888855.gif
988KB, 294x224px
>>2166006
that shit hit my hindbrain hard

jesus fuck
>>
File: image.png (394KB, 436x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
394KB, 436x540px
>>2165990
I kind of like the ideas of a Giant feathery T-Rex cooing like a pigeon.
>>
If A Rex made this sound you would shit your pants. Nothing Changed here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcQO6Zb8Eg
>>
I would imagine it wouldn't sound as soft as a pigeon's coo though. Look at a chihuahua compared to a pitbull, same bark, just a different pitch. I'm sure t-rex sounded terrifying.
>>
The only reason you guys don't think cooing is scary is because you grew up associating it with non dangerous animals.

If you switched lion roars with rooster crowing you'd have people on here being like "FAGGY ROARING DINOSAURS WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT IN MY HEART THEY WILL ALWAYS CROW"
>>
>>2166033
Woah.

You're right.
>>
>>2166033
Pretty sure a lot of movies use this kind of sound already, when theyre not having the cg beasts screech like banshees
>>
>>2166003
They probably sounded like sulphur-crested cockatoos.
>>
>>2166033
Why the fuck is this bird so terrifying? It is not even carnivore/
>>
>>2166235
because carnivores don't need to be scary, numbnuts.
>>
>>2166025

Theories are not knowledge. That guy has it right. All we have is a general idea of their bone structure and where they hung out. That is all we know for certain. Everything is just a theory. Everything.

Until we manage to find a live colony of them somewhere, it's all guesses with varying degrees of potential accuracy. We don't know shit.
>>
>>2166291
>What are biomechanics
>What is muscle scarring
>What are carbon traces
>What is ichnology
>>
>>2166295

Varying degrees of potential accuracy. Definitive proof is not something that comes easily. And any scientist or historian will tell you 99.999999% of what we think about past events as just theory. Even if it was documented in 2,000 year old manuscripts - that is still 1 person's account and is absolutely not proof.

30 years ago, people were certain dinosaurs didn't have feathers. If you said they didn't have scales, people would give you 100 forms of "evidence" that they did have scales.
>>
>>2165990
>Predator

You mean scavenger?
>>
>>2166291
>We don't know shit

It's true, but at least we are trying.

Can you imagine what will we know in 10 000 years? I don't, but I know that compared to that we now know nothing.
>>
So? Sounds even more terrifying it would be like the Mooing Metals gears that fuck with people by mooing.

Any ways sounding like a Pigeon would be more scary for me, as a child it was always the trigger for my nightmares, I would hear it and then someone bad would happen.
One of my most regular nightmares was getting eaten by a T-rex funnily enough.
>>
>>2166318
Horner GTFO
>>
>>2165990
Wait, people thought that they actually DID roar?
>>
>>2166307
>Definitive proof is not something that comes easily
it's impossible.

proof is literally impossible. All knowledge is what you call "theory."
>>
>>2166291
>Theories are not knowledge.
i don't think you understand what a 'theory' is.

if there's nothing backing it up it's not a theory, it's a baseless idea.

>Until we manage to find a live colony of them somewhere
most dinosaurs are modern birds.
most living reptiles are modern birds.
>>
>>2166349
>Can you imagine what will we know in 10 000 years?

In 100 years, we will have a cloned one to life that will provide proof of (or disprove) a lot of theories.
>>
>>2166014
I had head pigeon once. It wasn't so bad.
>>
>>2166531
How the hell would you be able to tell if you've cloned something correctly if the originals have been dead for 65 million years?
>>
>>2166768
I mean, aside from cloning them being likely impossible, a cloned animal isn't going to just magically grow a full set of feathers when it didn't have that before.
>>
I think you guys are missing the poing here.
The point is that closed-mouth vocalisations are more likely for large dinos. Cooing is an example of it, but when you consider the sheer size of creatures like T. rex, you probably get a major change in pitch.
So maybe they would've made noises that to us sound like a sort of depp, rhythmic rumble or so.
>>
Wouldn't something the size of a t-rex making pigeon noises sound deep, bassy, and horrific?
>>
>>2166786
2 spooky.
>>
>>2165990
pseudo science
>>
>>2166786
So, like the bellowing of the crocs?
>>
>>2165990
Saying large dinosaurs did not roar because of small modern avian-dinosaurs cannot is like saying large predatory mammals could not because avian-mammals (i.e. bats) do not...
>>
>>2165990
Isnt the only reason that some people think they were roaring Jurassic Park?
Roars are pretty rare anyway
>>
>>2165990
Neither birds or crocodilians actually roar as we see with mammals.
They do make loud noises to intimidate, but it is more like loud sounds or bellows.
http://prehistoricpub.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-past-was-horrifying-sounds-of.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkh3sknNnkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dcQO6Zb8Eg
Therefore a tyrannosaurus (or any large predatory dinosaur, for that matter) would still likely sound very intimidating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD8AIlm97lA
>>
>>2165990
Just remember guys, the roar on a tiger or leopard is really just an amplified version of a domestic cat's meowing (but with much larger 'acoustics').

So chances are, big dinosaurs still sounded very scary.
>>
File: t-rex-computer-360.jpg (51KB, 360x225px) Image search: [Google]
t-rex-computer-360.jpg
51KB, 360x225px
>>2166318
T-rex being mostly a scavenger was largely debunk years ago, and so on even to this day. Even Jack Horner long refuted many of his original claims, and he was pretty much the main one lobbing that theory.

Really, it was practically an impossibility plagued with multiple issues.
Such as tyrannosaurus being a massive terrestrial animal that could only eat meat. Its size alone required large amounts of food.

All dinosaurs (especially coelurosaurs) were pretty much entirely warmblooded. Warmblood is energy expensive to maintain and require a lot of nourishment. This combined with the sheer size of tyrannosaurus made it even more necessary to eat large amounts of food at an even more consistent rate.

Animals do not just simply die near by at a consistent rate; die randomly far apart. Tyrannosaurus would have to travel miles across just to find a carcass, which would likely already be largely eaten by smaller predators (dakotaraptor, acheroraptor, nanotyrannus), multiple pterosaurs (especially quetzalcoatlus), genuine scavengers, and other tyrannosauruses that found the carcass first. This is by no means a viable living style for a tyrannosaurus to depend on, especially an entire population of them; which evidence suggest they were very common in during their reign.

Lets not forget that tyrannosaurus was the largest meat eater in its environment during its time. No other animal would have been better suited to prevent the large herbivores from over populating.
In fact, more evidence seem to confirm that tyrannosaurus almost certainly hunted triceratops, edmontosaurus, and even juvenile alamosaurus. The evidence for tyrannosaurus being a hunter is actually greater than the case for other large meat eating dinosaurs like giganotosaurus.
On a side note: Tyrannosaurus might have even hunted torosaurus (which was more likely it own genus), denversaurus, ankylosaurus, anodontosaurus, and even other tyrannosauruses.
>>
File: dis.jpg (203KB, 1215x683px)
dis.jpg
203KB, 1215x683px
>be manly dinosaur
>carnivore as fuck
>sneak up on some dinos with silly horns
>suddenly hear this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtpSOpUDCb8
(0:25)
>NOPE the fuck out of there
>>
>>2166031
WE WUZ DINOSAURS N SHIET

sorry
>>
I wonder how sauropods sounded
>>
>>2166938
Those "silly" horns on triceratops could easily impale and kill a tyrannosaurus, or any other large predatory dinosaur for that matter.
>>
>>2166899
Makes sense now that i think about it, but what about the big cats who make that crackling sound.. maybe thats an amplified trill. You know brrrrrow sound.

Anyways dinosaurs are cool, and i stared a raptor in the face once. Why or how i dunno, but it was real enough for me. I entered my room and suddenly suspenseful music all around.. then, right outside my window.. a raptor is staring at me. No feathers btw.
>>
>>2167529
I've heard of these. Apparently it is somewhat normal for otherwise mentally healthy people to spontaneously have extremely vivid and elaborate hallucinations, with no apparent cause. It isn't known why of course. For a kid I can imagine it was pretty intense.
>>
>>2167529
>>2167542
samefag
>>
>>2165990

>those winrar books
>>
>>2166881
>avian mammals
>>
>>2166291
>I never took a science course outside of freshman year
theories aren't just ideas dumb dumb
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.