[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shark Week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: Shark-Week.jpg (256KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
Shark-Week.jpg
256KB, 658x370px
>It's going to be another "The Bull Shark IS THE BIGGEST, BADDEST, MOST AGGRESSIVE SHARK AROUND" only Shark Week

Nobody gives a shit about this anymore, huh?
>>
File: laughing dinosaurs.png (448KB, 455x395px) Image search: [Google]
laughing dinosaurs.png
448KB, 455x395px
>sharks
>>
File: images.jpg (23KB, 454x324px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
23KB, 454x324px
>>2162704
>sharks
>>
>>2162704
I blame the megalodon and submarine mockumentaries
>>
It's always been all about bull sharks, tiger sharks, and great whites.
>>
How was that Bikini Atoll and Dolphin thing? They sounded interesting at least
>>
>>2162818
>GUYS MEGALODON COULD BE OUT THERE!
>Why?
>BECAUSE BIG SHARKS ARE COOL AND IT WOULD BE AWESOME!
>But how would it still exist?
>COELOCANTH WENT UNDETECTED FOR AGES LOL
REEEEEEEEEE
>>
Reef shaks are best sharks
>>
>>2163728
Nope. Threshers are best, even with their dopey faces.
>>
>>2163740
>not makos
>>
the only time I imagine people still watch the discovery channel is when they can't sleep and there's nothing to do online.
>>
>>2162893
How would it not still exist
>>
>>2163756
What's it eating that could sustain it?
>>
File: Somniosus_microcephalus_okeanos.jpg (240KB, 1225x689px) Image search: [Google]
Somniosus_microcephalus_okeanos.jpg
240KB, 1225x689px
Lads
>>
>>2162816

no matter what those white spots will always be orca's real eyes
>>
>>2163760
it's unlikely, but because we know very little about our oceans, it is certainly possible. It likely isn't the size it used to be.
>>
>>2163748
Discovery channel and similar channels are very popular due to shit like pawn stars or fish tanks.

These shows have a very big following for some reason.
Animal planet is sadly just some fishtank show and my cat from hell with maybe some animal cops.
No shit like meerkat manor anymore.
>>
>>2163866
>No shit like meerkat manor anymore.
but that was complete and utter cancer.
>>
Wasn't shark week about informing the public about sharks so people wouldn't want them dead as much and maybe get the public to actually care about sharks? I feel like the original idea to bust all the spooky shark myths made a complete come around to rationalizing people's phobias.

>>2163748
Having the TV on while sleeping is bad for your quality of sleep. The more you know.

>>2163866
>My cat from hell
>Animal cops
What time are you watching? Because i don't even get that. I see a ton of house building bullshit like tree houses, pools, backyard landscaping etc. The only animal related shit I've seen on that channel lately was a show where they follow a couple BYBs puppies and at the end, the person looking to 'adopt' a puppy picks whichever one was cutest. Fucking yorkipoos, malte-tzus, and I swear they had double dapple dachshunds
>>
>>2163875
>but that was complete and utter cancer.
No you are, kill yourself.
Meerkat Manor was great, how can you have a shit opinion about everything.

>>2163890
>What time are you watching? Because i don't even get that. I see a ton of house building bullshit like tree houses, pools, backyard landscaping etc. The only animal related shit I've seen on that channel lately was a show where they follow a couple BYBs puppies and at the end, the person looking to 'adopt' a puppy picks whichever one was cutest. Fucking yorkipoos, malte-tzus, and I swear they had double dapple dachshunds
The treehouse one is another show actually, I live in the UK so it might be different but last I checked Animal planet it was midday and just fish tanks mostly.
>>
>>2163810
If it isn't the size it used to be it probably wouldn't be the Megalodon, just a shark of the same genus.
>>
File: 1280px-Nurse_Shark_4472.jpg (462KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Nurse_Shark_4472.jpg
462KB, 1280x960px
>tfw you'll never have your own nurse shark
>>
>>2164919
Just go fishing at pier in Florida and think very hard to yourself "I want a snapper".
>>
>>2162704
Do they still go on about how sharks are at our mercy after hyping how they're the perfect killing/eating machine in the ocean? Or have they dropped the conservationist aspect all together?
>>2163768
my favorite shark before the basking shark
>>
Megaladons could go to the surface like sharks today and wouldn't stay in the depths all its life.

If it was alive today we would have already found it by now.

Closest thing to it is if we discover a small-medium sized shark that shares some of its DNA or some shit.

Point is: It's extinct
>>
File: meg.evolution.jpg (150KB, 1924x1214px) Image search: [Google]
meg.evolution.jpg
150KB, 1924x1214px
>>2163810

There's no fossil evidence that Megalodon evolved into anything. There are clear transitional teeth evolving into Megalodon, and then they just stop. The only logical conclusion is that it went extinct, not that they evolved to flat out live in the abyss.

And yes the ocean is huge, and we have to explore a great deal more of it, but that doesn't really matter in this case. Megalodon was a warm-water, and only warm water, Apex predator. If they were still around, there'd be absolutely no mistaking it. They'd be a routine sight on whale watching tours in places like Hawaii.

And beyond that, there simply isn't enough prey in the modern ecosystem to support a predator of that type and size. The whales they used to eat either died off during the start of the ice age, or they moved up towards the poles where their warm weather predators couldn't follow them.

There are plenty of new discoveries to be made, no question about it, and most likely more types of sharks. But Megalodon went extinct 2.6 million years ago based on every piece of evidence we have. And, if they were found, believe me that the jokes that the Discovery networks have become would not be the first to report it.

TL;DR: A documentary that has to lie or hire actors in order to get interviews, and use CGI and misidentification to get picture 'evidence', is pretty well guaranteed to be full of shit.
>>
didn't know where else to ask, so i came to /an/ and saw shark.
is it safe to pull sharks back into the water by their tail? i was walking at the beach yesterday and saw a washed up shark that was still alive. it was a good size, so i was too scared to pull it back and left it. i feel really bad ;_;
>>
>>2163866
:( I love Big Cat Diary.
Why can't they program more shows like that? Fun and educational.
>>
>>2166871

Those shows are a much bigger pain and expense to film than something set in warehouses/backyard/whatever. And they don't draw in the ratings that all this sensationalist reality stuff bring in.

Pretty well the only thing really resembling old animal planet anymore is River Monsters (which is still sensationalist, but mostly solid).
>>
>>2162707
Based crocs absolutely destroying the sharks
>>
>>2166894
>sloth lizards literally dumber than fish
>destroying sharks

croc's dead before it realizes there's a shark in the water, just compare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUCTj8Wkvs8

to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtSs9yUBfY
>>
>>2166864
Well, your options were pull it back in the water where it might live, or leave it beached where it definitely will not live. So what the fuck does it matter if pulling it backwards by the tail might hurt it?
>>
>>2166871
Discovery Network went to shit when they changed management. Instead of Science, Nature and fuckin' Mythbusters, they went full normie retards and tried to capture the normie market.

tl;dr; fuck News Corp and fuck Rupert Murdoch.
>>
>>2164964
>fucking flounder incoming
>>
>>2167488
Bitch, please!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tifnbHwP3Ls

>>2167490
I think he was worried about his own safety no the shark's.
>>
>>2167499
DELETE THIS
>>
>>2167490
like the other anon said, i was worried about my safety. probably being irrational, but i don't know how they act out of water.
>>
>>2167494
Not even normies - just bottom-of-the-barrel, lowest common denominator, low attention-span pond scum. Unless my definition of normie is a fairly lofty and overly flattering one?
>>
>>2167528

I'd say shows like 'The Most Extreme' were their attempt to attract normies. Casual viewers who aren't deeply invested in nature or educational tv are more likely to be drawn in by special effects, fun trivia, and list formats than cut-and-dry documentary style.

Bringing in Bigfoot and other things that have little to nothing to do with animals or education at all is definitely bait for the bottom of the barrel.
>>
Isn't the Discovery Channel just one big "LOOK AT ALL THE HILLBILLY ALASKA FOLKS BEING HILLBILLYS " show now?
>>
Animal Planet 2005:
>Backyard Habitats
>Crocodile Hunter
>Corwin's Quest
>Most Extreme
>Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom

Animal Planet 2015:
>Finding Bigfoot
>River Monsters
>Treehouse Masters
>Some fucking show about pools
>A fucking show about ghosts
>I don't even know any more...
>>
>>2168191

Discovery Channel 2005:
>Mythbusters
>Dirty Jobs
>Deadliest Catch
>All types of documentary specials

Discovery Channel 2015:
>ALASKA
>ALASKA
>ALASKA: THE SUPER ALASKAN!
>WATCH THESE REDNECKS ALASKA!
>reality tv shows...
>ABOUT ALASKA!
>>
>>2168191
>>2168192
Someone has to pay for this.
>>
>>2168191
River Monsters is alright to me. At least they actually center around the animals when fishing them.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 209x191px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 209x191px
>>2168192
LMFAO
>>
>>2166864
Of course not. If you're argument is you might hurt its spinal cord, trust me you wont because cartilage stronk. Now the real issue will be reviving it if you feel inclined to do so. Most sharks need moving water over their gills so you'd have to drag it around head first and that causes a whole new set of problems for you to deal with.
>>
>>2168192
What is the god damned obssesion with akaska
>>
>>2170043
Discovery follows lucrative trends. It was sharks (disregarding Shark Week), then it was Alaska, then it was doing things naked, then I stopped watching TV.
>>
>>2162816
>nigger-dolphins
>>
>>2167499
>some bullshit slideshow made in Paint.Net
>>
Can we have one shark week talking about wobbegongs and whale sharks for fucking once? TV acts like theres 3 shark species and one of them is the long dead megalodon.
>>
>>2170806
>Not Aryan whales
>>
File: thanksijustate.jpg (32KB, 720x474px) Image search: [Google]
thanksijustate.jpg
32KB, 720x474px
>>2162704
After dinner mint?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.