[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2016 >not oversaturating the BP market even more by pumping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 12

File: tumblr_mzktu5ZXpN1qgdr7co1_250.jpg (31KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzktu5ZXpN1qgdr7co1_250.jpg
31KB, 250x167px
>2016
>not oversaturating the BP market even more by pumping out more Ultra Mega Super 27-gene Pied Spider Albino Ghost Banana Split Chocolate Pastel Curry Pinstripe Gay Pride ball python morphs

What's your excuse, /an/?
>>
>>2144830
Im not a snake person
>>
Balls are boring, i'm busy oversaturing the retic market.
>>
MUH MORPHS
>leopard geckofags
>bpfags
>bettafags

It's just the same fucking special snowflake tumblr cancer but manifested through pet ownership
>>
Don't forget the scaless morphs OP
>>
What do you guys think is going to be the next big animal as far as morphs go?
>>
File: fucking ridiculous.jpg (48KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
fucking ridiculous.jpg
48KB, 800x533px
>talks about expensive morphs
>low investment to profit ratio
>not even mentioning designer shrimp

It's like you hate making money, anon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyi5RNKjMuU
>>
I have a firefly ball and im content with him.
He was just a stepping stone so i could get my jungle carpet python since my gf was terrified of sneks anyway.
>>
File: 20160612_204312.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20160612_204312.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>2144894
Postin old ass shit, please.

https://youtu.be/6lz09ZGV_WI
>>
File: bloodymary.jpg (38KB, 579x301px) Image search: [Google]
bloodymary.jpg
38KB, 579x301px
>>2144905

those arecrs, though admittedly top-tier
still inferior to bloody mary lines
>>
>>2144830
>>2144837
>>2144888
>>2144894
>>2144905
>>2144907

>2016
>not oversaturating the aquarium hobby even more by pumping out more Taiwan Bee Crystal Orange Eye Black Super Tiger Red Wine Snowball Black King Kong Snow White Panda White Striped Swiss Cheese Black Lime Naked Tail White Venter Blue Bolt shrimp morphs

What's your excuse, /an/?
>>
>>2144909

There is none.
Gotta go cull my tank now, damn.
>>
File: 20160612_204509.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20160612_204509.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>2144907
That video was of my display tank. My breeders are much much more sexy. Also you'd never guess i started wit 5 low grades.

I have video im working on for them.
>>
>>2144911

I read the description and I am completely impressed.
How do you go about culling? Catch and feed, or...?
>>
>>2144912
Mostly Luck, I didn't have to really cull any they really selected for themselves for the most part. I let them breed out till i had about 50 and i grabbed my best ones to use as breeders. That was really it. I knew i was gonna have decent ones when i saw the babies being bright orange. Never guessed i'd end up with supers or "painted" ones. But now i am working on getting them to breed true.
>>
>>2144830
>Gay Pride ball python

Is that really a thing? I am asking because I don't doubt it.
>>
File: Pygmy Python 800.jpg (129KB, 800x457px) Image search: [Google]
Pygmy Python 800.jpg
129KB, 800x457px
>>2144888

Antaresia pythons have a lot of potential in that regard. Very few breeders in the US working with morphs though. It's mostly just people in australia breeding them at the moment. Pretty calm snakes and range from very small to medium in size, depending on species and sex.

Kenyan sand boas have picked up a little bit of traction in popularity and have a few distinct morphs, although i'm not sure how much potential that species has for wide spread popularity as a pet.

Ball pythons took off because they are relatively small, extremely docile and a lot less wiggly than any other snake of comparable size, and they're beautiful.
>>
File: 1451965856496.jpg (780KB, 2028x1968px) Image search: [Google]
1451965856496.jpg
780KB, 2028x1968px
Please stop breeding morphs. There are hundreds of absolutely heart-stoppingly beautiful snakes out there. No reason to make genetically fucked wobble heads.
>>
>>2144951
desu I always found morphs kinda ugly for the most part.
>breeder keeps trying to push morphs on me
>the regular sand boa is the most beautiful to me
>>
File: 1462821588456.jpg (64KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1462821588456.jpg
64KB, 1024x1024px
>>2144894
this shit drive me mad

>want a few shrimp for my 10 gallon
>local ps only sells ghost shrimp (37 cents each) and amano(3.99 each)
>look online
>$5 -10 per shrimp
>Next day/express shipping only for an additional $40
>>
>>2144951
Most snakes are pretty in real life. On photos the morphs might look better.
>>
>>2144953
That is true for the majority of morphs. Especially so with ball pythons as their colours change/fade as they grow. With BP morphs it's a good idea to research adult pictures of the morph you are interested in to see how it tends to change long term. Best BP morphs are the ones that work well with that fading in a complimentary way; such as fires, mojaves, lessers, leucistics, and usually enchis do. Albinos lose constrast and just look mostly yellow as adults. Pastels and axanthics turn kinda blah. Bumblebees (pastel x spider) change pretty dramatically for the worse with age, although that's a subjective thing for me.
>>
The dart frog community goes insane in the other direction.

A lot of the wild morphs are completely capable of interbreeding (most are Oophaga and Dendrobates) within their own genus since they incredibly variable coloration across central and south america.

However, the breeding community watched a few documentaries...

mostly this Nature special on chytrid:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/frogs-the-thin-green-line-video-full-episode/4882/

and they saw what the reptile community did to ball pythons, geckos, and some other species with making artificial morphs.

So now they think they are fucking Noah's Ark. That they are "saving" the genetic diversity in their aquariums until the global fungus plague dies back and the natives leave their new homes and allow the rainforest to grow back so the frogs can be let out and repopulate their original range.

The result is almost a fanatical hatred of designer breeding or cross breeding. They will flip the fuck out if they think you are breeding hybrids in your own home.

http://www.dartden.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5329

http://www.dartden.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4470

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/care-sheets/10507-mixing-101-a.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/248234-hybrid-tinctorius-x-leucomolas.html

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/lounge/63540-hybrid-dart-frogs.html

Those are some of the more benign ones. I can't find the truly venomous ones since they get deleted. They will flip out if you post a pic of a hybrid in the classified ads
>>
>>2145048
you forgot desert ghosts, they look good as adults too
>>
>>2144919
Nah.
>>
File: Are you fucking serious.jpg (6KB, 265x271px) Image search: [Google]
Are you fucking serious.jpg
6KB, 265x271px
>Want to buy a corn snake because I want a snake pet
>Check online for breeders
>SUPER ULTRA 2X HET ALBINO CANDYCANE SCARLET SLEEPER GENE LAVENDER SPINNER SUNKISSED CORN SNAKE
>JEWEL-PATTERN AND OVAL SCALES
>$450 + Free Shipping
>Similar prices and bullshit descriptions everywhere
>Check my local pet shop
>Buy a candycane for fucking $250 + Enclosure + Bedding + Thermo + Heating pad and pretty much anything I needed
>mfw
>>
>>2145330
you allways should set up the enclosure about a week before you get your snake.

This way you are able to optimize Temp and Humidity without stressing the animal out.
But it's not the end of the world

just saying
>>
File: 1457089215927.gif (2MB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
1457089215927.gif
2MB, 500x283px
>>2145330
>250 for a cornsnake.
>>
>>2145330

Breeders often do have single gene morphs and normals to sell that may not be listed on the website. It's always a good idea to email them and ask. Or facebook message. People seem to respond to facebook messages more reliably.
>>
>>2145363
this, breeders are much better, and usually way cheaper than pet stores
>>
>>2145361
I think anon meant 250 for the whole pack.
>>
File: 1460668694960.jpg (21KB, 236x349px) Image search: [Google]
1460668694960.jpg
21KB, 236x349px
>looking to buy guppies
>super colorful, ultra rare, rainbow, patterned fancy guppy breeds
>range from $5 - $30 a pop + $19-$30 shipping
>tfw only wanted to get guppies to slap into a turtle tank as an experiment for a self sustaining source of protein and tank activity

There's only one pet store nearby that has those colorful guppies and most of the time they look shitty in condition
>>
so nice
>>
File: Dionaea-muscipula-Dr-No-trap-1.jpg (220KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
Dionaea-muscipula-Dr-No-trap-1.jpg
220KB, 700x525px
>Want to buy a beautiful venus flytrap
>Look through cultivars
>Wacky traps: Deformed, weak, small
>Biohazard: looks like it's been in a meat mincer
>Error: traps don't work
>Rose: It doesn't even have traps... like what the hell
I'm tempted to register one of mine as a cultivar, the particularity it has is that the traps react like 10 seconds after the stimulation. I'll call it "ie" or some shit.
>>
>>2144830

Never paid for a snake, and hopefully never will. All my snakes are free from people who got their kids one, only to quickly get over the novelty of watching it eat, and realizing that it spends 99% of its time hiding.

Or people who just have too many snakes and need a new home for one.

And I don't care about breeding.
>>
>>2145363
This, breeders are also too lazy to update their websites.
>>
>>2147159
No kidding. The majority of reptile breeders are terrible about that to the point that their own websites are completely unreliable. And these are small operations either, these are major ones that sell several hundred animals a year. Only way to get anything resembling current information about them without directly emailing is to check their facebook pages. Even there, they will post pictures but not mention the species or morph, the asking price, or whether they are even offering it for sale (as opposed to an nfs holdback). It is annoying.
>>
>>2147112
>people who got their kids one, only to quickly get over the novelty of watching it eat

Fuck people like this tbqh. Working for a petshop has given me the ability to pick people like these out within two minutes of talking with them about pets. It's always about bragging rights or watching the animal eat something living despite being told ten times that the snake is perfectly fine on f/t. Hell, we've got this one big pastel ball that came into the store as a yearling that keeps getting returned because it's finicky as all fuck about what it will eat. I've had to bring a few rat pups from my personal stock and have offered on several occasions to give people who wanted to buy the snake the remaining pups along with a list of sites for order more, but it's always "nah, I got it" one week, and a return with a complaint between one and three weeks later with a complaint of how it wouldn't take the live mice it was offered, or how it wouldn't let them pick it up a day after being put into its new enclosure. I'd buy the damned thing myself if it weren't for my vehement hatred of the species.
>>
>>2144888
Reptile wise? I'm hoping that some mad genius manages to figure out a way to get GTPs to keep their baby colors into adulthood so I can watch the reptile market collapse in on itself from the sheer density all of the butthurt BP breeders start producing. Realistically though, I can see carpets getting bigger if someone figures out how to keep a super jag alive for more than a few days.
>>
>>2147389

I dunno, anon. GTPs of any colour likely wouldn't take off as a top 5 kept snake because of their sensitivity to husbandry mistakes and somewhat nippy demeanor. Balls are popular is large part because of their extremely docile dispositions and slow movement. I think that is the reason balls overtook corns. Corns also have beautiful and varied morphs and are docile, but they're wiggly, and new snake keepers aren't necessarily keen on a snake that always moves when you hold it even if there's no aggression involved.
>>
>>2147403
The thing is, getting the husbandry for a GTP right isn't all that difficult, it's just a bit more time consuming to make sure that you actually get it right. I'm thinking of this with people who actually have experience in mind. The people who drop the absolutely ludicrous amounts of money that they do for BP morphs are typically breeders that seem to have an idea of what they're doing when they later breed and incubate the resulting clutch. I can't imagine the time consumption would be too dissimilar.
>>
>>2147389
> I'm hoping that some mad genius manages to figure out a way to get GTPs to keep their baby colors into adulthood

That would be amazing, gtp's are beautiful snakes regardless of age but their hatchling colors are much more appealing, The reason jungle carpets are my favorite is the super bright yellow they can have. Jags are neat but the wobble makes me kind of wish they weren't bred same with spider balls
>>
>>2147403

I also think it's the fact that a ball python is a PYTHON and a corn snake sounds lame and most look like a "chicken snake" they can stumble upon in their backyard, making them much less impressive to people who want a reptile because it seems exotic.
>>
>>2147472
>Jags are neat but the wobble makes me kind of wish they weren't bred same with spider balls

I know what you mean there, got a yearling Jag right now that isn't displaying the wobble, but since I know it's something that all of the morph carries my biggest fear is that it worsens as time goes on.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.