[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do pandas deserve it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: panders.jpg (60KB, 474x567px) Image search: [Google]
panders.jpg
60KB, 474x567px
Do pandas deserve it?
>>
pandas were a mistake
>>
pandas are the hutchinson-gilford progeria of the animal kingdom.
>>
No, we should stop wasting our efforts. We should save animals that we are directly diminishing.
>>
>>2137638
>We should save animals that we are directly diminishing.
Like pandas? It's only due to humans that the their ecological niche is disappearing.
>>
>>2137595

Pandas are cool..

But the amount of money we spend on Pandas could have saved thousands of other species. Ultimately if they don't do well in captivity, the only focus should be on restoring habitat.

My question is, what's the total amount they have spent on pandas? If they had used that money to buy/restore habitat, would that have resulted in a better outcome?
>>
>>2137673
Pands are a matter of national pride for the chinese. They aren't going to spend the money on kakapos if all the pandas die.
>>
>>2137673
>the only focus should be on restoring habita

I dont think that would matter. In wild pandas breeding is also very veeery low. (because female can get pregnant once in year, and that time is only 30 sec to 5 mins long)

At least in zoo they can try breed them by artificial insemination. Thanks to that now days captive pandas breed better than wild ones.
>>
Did you know all pandas are owned by China and only leased out? This includes pandas born in zoos anywhere in the world. Property of China.
>>
The Panda in that fucking We Bare Bears show is a giant faggot, if real life pandas are anything like him I could do without them
>>
File: kebab.jpg (8KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
kebab.jpg
8KB, 184x184px
>>2137595
REMOVE BAMBOO
E
M
O
V
E

B
A
M
B
O
O
>>
How about we refocus our efforts on the much cuter Red Panda instead?
>>
>>2137858
As anon said once, turbojews on steroids.
>>
>>2137595
>only 2000 left in the wild
>every birth a true miracle
what about all the other, really rare (in the wild) animals, that apparently no one gives a shit about?
Like the burmese star tortoise, or the indochinese box turtle?

Pandas are only so popular because many people think, they are cute and need to be saved.
That is why they are do overly hyped and marketed as if they are the most rare animal ever.
>>
>>2138025
>what about all the other, really rare (in the wild) animals, that apparently no one gives a shit about?

The worst part is, those would all be actually achievable to save. We could save a fuckload of species with the funds used for just a year of dicking around with pandas.
>>
This is like going,

"Wow, Taylor Swift has so much money and everyone cares if she gets cancer but a black kid somewhere in Africa who could be the next Einstein will just keel over from hunger and AIDS and no-one will notice, SO UNFAIR"

I personally like pandas and I don't really give a fuck about many, many animals. It'd be nice if the animal survived, but if I had to choose which one to save, a panda and most other species, I'd only face a moral dilemma until I saw a panda do a flip.
>>
>>2138025
Man fuck-a turtles they are-a stealing our women!
>>
>>2138025
We aren't obligated to save shit. Thinking that nature is magically self-correcting is like believing in the free hand of the market.

If we want to look at it rationally, we (and the animals anyone gives a fuck about) are just the tip of the iceberg, the 1%, with the bacteria and plants being the 99%.

Literally nobody outside 10 scientists care if a rare, unique strain of bacteria dies.

YOU don't care if a rare, unique strain of bacteria that lived for half a million years in some salt mine and developed a unique as fuck ecosystem around it died and took its ecosystem away with it, because the mine got re-opened.

By going, "guys let's save unpopular, non-cute animals that supposedly can survive better than pandas (despite pandas existing for like 3 million years already, not counting primal pandas, and doing just great before humans cut down the bamboo forest, AND pandas in the wild increasing by ~800 pandas since the eighties)" you're still essentially "saving pandas" and exhibiting a marginally wider world-view compared to people who just go, OH PANDAS GOTTA SAVE EM SO CUTE LMAO. Pandas are cute and well-marketed, people like them, and that makes them more valuable than most other dying species.

>>2138041
Wild panda numbers are increasing since the eighties. Hell we could just plant bamboo everywhere on the mountains and introduce giant pandas there and they'll likely do fine.
>>
>>2137671
>Carnivore digestive system
>Eat a plant with fuck all nutrients that requires them to sit and eat all day.
I know it is human's fault but they are not helping, if they were not cute they would be long dead.
>>
>>2138025
Fair weather animal lovers, I mean look at the shit with the Gorillas.
>>
>>2137595
No. Fuck Pandas. They remind me of lazy welfare recipients. Money would be better spent elsewhere.
>>
Pandas are the JUST of the animal kingdom. One of the few animals that seem to deserve to go extinct with their sheer amount of incompetent and bullshittery
>>
Lol it's the panda hate meme.
Tell me when summer ends guys
>>
>>2138345
I've always hated pandas. They are the stupidest creatures in the world. So much money wasted for a useless animal. They could disappear tomorrow and nothing would change.
>>
>>2138316
>The ability to adapt to the extreme
>Literally no predators besides man
>Infinite food supply and no competition for food
I guess anything that can't live in a city is useless and deserves to die, right?
>>
>>2138450
I don't make the rules, mother nature does
>>
>>2138450
No faggot my point is they are starving because humans are clearing all the bamboo yet they have a digestive track designed for meat and they are big mother fucking bears that could hunt.
Plus like anons have mentioned above they do not breed well in comparison to other species or even other bears.

Yeah chinks are killing them all but Pandas as a species are not the pinnacle of evolution to begin with.
Very few animals are in that sweet spot of living among humans but not considered a pest or food.
>>
>>2138465
Pandas breed just as well as any other bear. They have roughly the same duration of breeding season and gestation as brown bears. Pandas will fuck a dozen times a day during the breeding season. However they don't breed for shit in captivity. This is true for many species, cheetahs are known to be the hardest to breed in captivity yet breeding is not their issue in the wild.

Their issue is not lack of food. They still have plenty of food because nothing eats the bamboo. Their issue is that the bamboo forest is very segmented so the bears have a hard time finding each other to fuck in the first place.

Less or no money should be put into panda breeding program at zoos; if all that cash went towards preserving bamboo forests, pandas would have a much better outlook. But pandas are a cash cow for zoos and the chinks like to continue the breeding program in hopes of getting to a point where they can be farmed a little
>>
Agreed, we should focus on more rare species and not pandas. Why? Because they're fucking easy to protect, go to some mountain place, plant some bamboo, let it grow for a couple of months, then make the place a wildlife reserve, then release the pandas. People only care about them because they are cute, i bet if they looked like spiders nobody would give a shit about them.
>>
>>2138696
Yes anon, spider pandas.
>>
>>2138061
This.

It'd suck if any life went extinct, but if I had to pick only one to save it'd be the one that entertains me. Is that so wrong?
>>
>>2137671
Pandas were going to get fucked hard even if we all died off, they're the ultimate evolutionary dead end.
>>
>>2138817
So just like you? Are you competing for welfare with them?
>>
>>2137595
I thought the story would be a panda ate her newborn cub and was about to say yeah just let them fucking go
>>
>>2137628
Fuck off
>>
>>2138470
Troof
>>
>>2138360
That's most animals
>>
>>2138843
Tons of animals do that, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 534x401px
>The world's smallest porpoise is headed closer to extinction as experts warn that stronger protection against illegal fishing is needed despite current efforts by Mexico's navy.

>Only about 60 vaquitas exist in the Gulf of California — the body of water between the Baja Peninsula and Mexico's mainland — and could be extinct within five years, a team of scientists said last week.

>“The lure of big money for totoaba swim bladders killed at least three more vaquitas, individuals sorely needed to prevent the species’ slide toward extinction,” said Frances Gulland of the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito, Calif.

>The totoaba’s swim bladder is a highly prized delicacy in Asia that is illegally traded from Mexico through the United States to China, according to the World Wildlife Fund.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/05/16/vaquita-porpoise-mexico-navy-extinction/84454870/

Who else is next on China's hit list?
>>
>>2139808

To be fair, I'd rather have kakapos survive than pandas, but I don't hate on pandas. I just like my giant goofy flightless parakeets more than failed bears.
>>
>>2139825
Fucking Chinese. God fucking dammit, every other month they've sentenced something else in a country on the other side of the world to extinction.
>>
>>2138071
>forgetting funghi
>ignoring the impact of animals on plants
>>
>>2138843
I thought the retarded, vegan panda was eating it's young as well. Even though it is commonly found in nature, it's a trait that some humans should practice as well.
>>
File: 1454177975766.jpg (51KB, 552x504px) Image search: [Google]
1454177975766.jpg
51KB, 552x504px
>>2137595
>can only eat bamboo
>constantly streaming diarrhea shit because of their awful diet
>these things are literally too fucking lazy to mate, need to be artificially inseminated

Why is money wasted on these things again?
>>
>>2139825
What the fuck is with these people and animal part delicacies? Shark fin soup, like what the fuck, why?
>>
>>2139825
Whats the fuck is with chinks and eating rare fucking animals from across the world, every other countries delicacies are shit tier common animals.

The fact some species of Rhinos are about to go extinct because some slant eye faggot thinks snorting their horn make his tic tac wiener hard enrages me to no end.
>>
zimbabwe
>>
>>2140096
>>2140097
>>2140098
what?
>>
Pandas are super cute
>>
File: zimbabwe for ants.jpg (9KB, 180x199px) Image search: [Google]
zimbabwe for ants.jpg
9KB, 180x199px
>>2140099
>>
>>2137595
teh only reason anyone bothers to save them is because its a multi million dollar industry
they will never recuperate because they would be worthless if that happened
nobody will let them completely dissappear either
>>
>>2140094
For extra salt in the wound, groups like ISIS are the ones who benefit from this shit economically as they are the ones pulling the trigger.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/22/opinion/poe-poaching-terrorism-funding/
>>
>>2137595

Maybe we need to start artificially inseminating these lazy fucks.
>>
File: that feel when.jpg (43KB, 517x554px) Image search: [Google]
that feel when.jpg
43KB, 517x554px
>>2142291

>Maybe we need to start artificially inseminating these lazy fucks.

Maybe we need to start euthanizing these lazy fucks. Just put them out of their misery at this point.
>>
File: varanus-bengalensis-2007-9843.jpg (191KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
varanus-bengalensis-2007-9843.jpg
191KB, 600x400px
>>2137595
I guess, but I'd rather work on saving al the endangered monitor lizards. V. bengalensis
>>
File: 1408282711415.jpg (276KB, 750x460px) Image search: [Google]
1408282711415.jpg
276KB, 750x460px
>>2137858
I wonder why someone hasn't engineered a virus or covert longterm plan to kill all the pandas. I'd imagine with such a low population and poor reproductive ability...it shouldn't be too hard to have a huge impact on their fate....
>>
>>2140094
I propose we start eating the Chineese. They are shit tier common humans anyway.
>>
>>2142487
Ew, but they are so ......dirty.
>>
>>2137595
i dunno anon, do they deserve to die out?
does anything deserve to be saved?
you're asking some loaded questions here anon.
>>
>>2142490
Nah, m8. Those are Indians.
>>
>>2137860
Fuck you man he's the best, you're probably an Ice Bear fag
>>
>>2137595
smug special snowflake animal, i fucking despise them
>>
>>2140094
Exotic meats were all the rage in the west too.

China is just late into the game.
>>
>>2138360
>nothing wold change
There wouldn't be anymore pandas in the world
>>
>>2140094
Because China's definition of whatever is precious is inherently different from the West by leagues.

Its on fucking everything.
>West
Gold is Best
>China
Gold is chump change, try silver.
>West
Diamonds
>China
Jade.

And so on. In a lot of things.

They're probably one of the few people whose ideas of luxury havent been completely changed by the west. Sure we can talk of Rich Chinks building European Style houses and drinking wine but thats fucking shallow compared to what they truly hold as luxurious.
>>
>>2137595
if China put any significant effort into preserving the panda's natural habitats, this wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>2144514
If Pandas put any significant effort into preserving their species like nature intended, this wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>2137671
>if we kill pandas the bamboo will overrun the countryside
'huh, so why are they dying?'
>we're destroying the bamboo they eat
'so if they were gone, nothing would change'
>s-shut up
>>
I'm really enjoying my shark-fin soup and pangolin while reading this thread.
>>
>>2137595
Down syndrome bears would be extinct even if there were no humans
>>
>>2137595
Why don't we just clone endangered species? It seems like a better alternative than doing their job for them.
>>
>>2138061
>>2138803
The difference is that in the panda case, we choose to try and save panda using funds that would be enough to save a dozen other species.
So you don't just choose A over B or C or D. You choose A over B and C and D.
>>
>>2144587
>if we kill pandas the bamboo will overrun the countryside
Said no one, ever.
>>
>>2142484
holy fucking shit what is that abomination
>>
>>2147114
a fly fishing lure made from thread
>>
>>2147114
Daily reminder that this >>2142484 is fake
>>
>>2138061
>African
>having an Einstein-level IQ
Funniest shit I have heard all day.
>>
>>2139907
>tfw pandas are the NEETs of the animal world
>>
>>2147051
that only makes sense if those funds are available to save not-pandas, which is not the case.
>>
>>2138339
Yeah they're such low energy fags

Like sloths, I have no idea how sloths survive

What happened to survival of the fittest? I could fight a panda and win, it'd probably just sit there and shove more bamboo in it's gob
>>
>>2144587
Nice strawman.
>>
>>2137697
>because female can get pregnant once in year, and that time is only 30 sec to 5 mins long
Wrong, see >>2138470
>>
>>2137595
itt; edgy contrarian kids.
>waah why are we saving the animal that people care about instead of the one that nobody knows
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.