[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vet grade medication vs pet store

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG0100.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0100.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
What differences are there between vet grade dog medication and pet store "joint and fitness" medication? The vet obviously seems more trustworthy and the medicine has noticeable effects, but how do I know the stuff from the pet store isn't pseudo-science like the "health and wellness" medication from the market?

>pic is dug
>>
Handsome dug, OP.

What you gotta do is read labels. A lot of pet store medicines are generic versions of brand medicine. Find out both the trade name AND the generic name of the drugs your dog needs, and see if you can get a better deal OTC.
>>
>>2132710
Ty, and the drug is Meloxicam which looks like a simple anti-inflammatory. Is it likely the vet is overpricing? Can you get drugs shipped cheaper as long as you have a valid prescription?
>>
>>2132685
You can get reliable meds from farm stores. It will come in ridiculous quantities and you're going to have to research proper dosing per pound.
>>
But they're also dirt cheap for the quantity you get. You'll have a lifetime supply. Same goes for vaccinations, worming meds, everything. The nice folks at the counter will even tell you how to do a fecal float and identify parasites so that you can make sure you're giving the right worming meds.
>>
>>2132741
I personally don't prefer NSAIDs for dogs because it can fuck with their stomach linings and/or livers. Start your dog on a fish oil regimen, look into a homemade turmeric-based supplement called Golden Paste, and check out Standard Process Boswellia Complex for days of acute pain.
>>
>>2132685
All that matters for medications are the ingredients.
If they contain the same drugs in the same dosage, they will work the same.

Vet grade meds are in many cases just the same stuff you get in pet stores, except more overpriced because of greed and additional regulations.

However, some meds are only available from vets, again because of overregulation.

Google the name of the vet medication and try to find generics that are sold in pet stores.
>>
>>2133016
>some meds are only available from vets, again because of overregulation
Feed stores! Different regulations. They can sell everything a vet can sell because they're selling it packaged for livestock and not pets.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.