[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

newborn kittens help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

So I have two foster newborn kittens that my foster manager conned me into taking. I was supposed to take them just for the day but now I'm in it until they find another suitable foster.

They were brought in by a women who was feeding them with an eyedropper for 2 days. Then the foster manager fed the kittens 9mls of food each and told me they should probably do more. I have been feeding anywhere from 2mls (they would not eat for me at first) and now 4mls every two hours. I was told they were at least a week old, but neither have ears/eyes open, one still had its umbilical cord, and the other I got to take his 'afterbirth' shit. So they are younger than a week old I'd say. I have also found out they should be underfed as opposed to overfed, but I don't have a proper way to weigh them currently. I think 9mls was way too much formula for one sitting though, let alone more

S my problem is the kittens are absolutely restless after feeding and bathroom stimulation, and I don't know how to make them feel better. I'm worried they have gas and I can't seem to get them to pass it. They will e at the vet tomorrow morning but no sooner than that. I'm scared to feed them if they have a blockage or something. Or is the activity and belly bulge normal?

Pic related, the bigger bellied of the two.
>>
You people try to rehabilitate nature's rejects?

In my expert opinion, they need 1(one) dose of sedimentary rock delivered craniumly.
>>
It could be bloating after overfeeding, let them rest.
If your super worried puree some prunes and mix a bit in too the formula, laxitives will clear up any blockage
>>
You need to start wiping their asses with a warm, wet cloth. They need to poop. Desperately. They will die if they don't. The only way to get a kitten to poop at that young of an age is to mimic some mamma cat tongue action. You're going to have to do this a few times a day until they can start pooping on their own.
>>
>>2132612
I cut myself on the edginess of this post

>le animal cruelty
>le Idc because I don't care about animals
>>
>>2132616
I had tried to get them to poop, they both had what I later found was the 'afterbirth' poop the first day, which is gross and weird and unlike normal poop. But if they are only getting liquids, will they even be able to poop? After every feeding I stimulate them and the one before bed I will stimulate each one for a straight 10 minutes, besides the 'afterbirth' poo neither have pooped. Is it because Im doing the wrong motion? Do I need to try longer?

>>2132613
Will a natural laxative like that be OK for such young kittens? I'm letting them rest now until I can figure something out for them
>>
>>2132621
Talk to the vet associated with the rescue. Since you're fostering, all vet care costs will be covered by the rescue anyway. Unfortunately, I don't know what good kitten laxatives are. And yes, they will still poop on an all kitten formula diet.
>>
>>2132631
I will be seeing a vet tomorrow morning, but I won't be able to contact that vet until tomorrow morning.
>>
I got the girl to poop! I used the trip method for a very long time even after she screamed bloody murder. She is a bit of a mess back there but no prolapse.

I'm worried about the boy, though. He isn't going as well.
>>
>>2132648
Good job! You just saved a tiny life. Now that you got her moving, you're going to have a lot easier of a time with her.
>>
>>2132617
>imblyinh
He's factually correct. You're just mad cause that anon doesn't shy away from reality.
>>
>>2132704
when you break a leg, I hope the doctor euthanize's you. Why rehabilitate nature's rejects?
>>
>>2132767
Tell you what, when cats learn to set and cast their own broken bones, I'll change my mind.

But until then, the beast course of treatment for these the lesser species(and races) involves a vitamin pill with a density of roughly 11.34 g/cm^3 delivered through high speed injection.

I should know. I'm a doctor, after all.
>>
>>2132701
>You just saved a tiny life

I wouldn't jump to that just yet
>>
So they are both alive still. Gave them some formula and hopefully they will see the vet this morning. They are purring now after I feed them, which I'm not sure is a good thing or not. Purring is a calming thing for cats and they may do that if they are in pain or stressed.

Neither pooped this morning, and now they are restless after attempting to get them to poop. I'm hoping Im just not getting it done right for the boy and maybe the vet can show me how to do it. The thing that worries me is it doesn't even look like anything is moving down there when I try to stimulate the boy to poo.

I'll update when I can about what the vet has to say. They are also dehydrated. I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak for that but as long as they are still alive and kicking I'm happy. I just pray that the vet didn't take the day off.
>>
>>2133117
I hope everything goes well for you, anon. Good luck!
>>
>>2133117
The vet will give you a workable feeding schedule with proper amounts too. If they're dehydrated, they'll get some subq fluids. Don't stress. Things are improving.
>>
>>2132814
I couldn't help but cringe reading that. Go away
>>
Vet isn't in and won't be in until Tuesday. I talked to some other foster people and they told me the one kitten is just fattening up, and the other is only slightly bloated. They showed me how to burp them. They weren't able to get the boy to poo either. One person said they look plump and lively, but to me they are bloated and agitated. Guess I'm going to have to deal with it though for a few more nights. No one else is taking them in.

I found out they weigh 4 ounces each so I was right on the money about 4 MLS per feeding. I hope the 9mls in the beginning isn't going to block them up and kill them.
>>
Kitten are clumsy, squeeky and twitchy just about until they get their eyes open. Can't even hold their heads up for a while.
>>
>>2133313
You're doing fine. I'm sure the kittens will be alright if you keep up the feeding and stimulation.
>>
>>2132608
I'd kill them, desu.

Slow. Avoid blunt and heavy weapons caus they kill newborns quickly. If you truly want to enjoy it, go with a surgical knife - do many tiny cuts and then put some salt or vinegar in them. My personal favorite is the antenna treatment - get a car antenna or a thin, sturdy stick/branch.

Your only problem is that these kitties are to young to scream and actually vocalize their suffering. If you want a real treat, get a pug - I love the older ones, cause of their lack of mobility and many natural ailments - little shits already know pain and kinda expect it. And, they scream like humans do.
>>
>>2133876
This.

Don't let PETA moralfagging get in the way of you believing in yourself and doing what you love. They value the comfort of animals over the well-being of humans.

Personally I believe that while animal rights and such is a sweet though, it mustn't get in the way of human well-being. If a human gets his pleasure from playing with animals in a certain way, we mustn't let our feelings for the animal get in the way of letting the human do what he loves. Self-fulfilment is a fundamental human right, and I'm not going to let some PETA extremists tell me what I CAN and CANNOT do to animals.
>>
>>2133267
You cringe because you're weak
>>
Baby boy finally pooped today! So now I got them both pooping. The girl's umbilical cord (or place where the cord was) started bleeding today and it freaked me out, but it's since scabbed over. The girl goes crazy in her cat Carrier clawing at the bars, and got a blister on her paw. So I'm covering the bars now. All in all nothing too awful has happened.

Tomorrow they will finally see a vet and maybe then I can breathe easy
>>
>>2132608
Better start licking their asses.
>>
>>2134242
You're doing good. You got them both pooping and eating. Before you know it their eyes will be open and they'll be a billion times easier to care for.
>>
You're doing good.
Post pics anon
>>
File: image.gif (233KB, 300x191px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
233KB, 300x191px
>>2134242
Good show.
>>
I can't use many cell phone pictures because of /an/'s size limit. But Wed or Thurs I will be able to resize them on my computer and upload some.

The vet left early but the vet tech took a look at them. She said they were only a little bloated but she has seen much worse. She also said the blister on the one's paw should be nothing to worry about. They gave them dewormer and tomorrow they will get something for the diarrhea that the dewormer will probably cause.

The boy opened his eyes today! I thought it was a little early so I was worried. But the vet tech said it is normal. So I'm happy
>>
>>2135255
glad to hear. post pics when you can please. are they less agitated/bloated now?
>>
>>2135255
Ah! Totally need pics now. Especially since those eyes finally opened. Since those eyes are opening, you're almost in the clear. Just keep pumping them full of kitten formula.
>>
>>2135255
this makes me happy
>>
They have hit the one week marker (at least with me) so today I'll be weaning them to 3 hours apart feeding, tomorrow 4 hours, and sometime next this or next week I'll try for 5 hours and leave them the 6 hours while I'm sleeping.

Through some miracle they have not died while I'm at work, because I get so busy I will miss several feedings
>>
>>2132617
This is /an/ - Cruelty to Animals. I swear to god that's what his dogshit board was created for. There is more edgy bullshit on this board in one day than there ever was in /b/'s history.
>>
>I'd kill them
>Kill them anon!
>Kill kill kill!
What the fuck is happening in this thread?
>>
>>2137318
many people come to the conclusion that living is so suffering for animals that they should all be killed

strange why they don't kill themselves by logical extension
>>
>>2137356
There's a difference when all you're doing is prolonging death without chance of any meaningful recovery. However in this case it would've been pretty dumb to euthanize them for constipation
>>
>>2137490
But that wasn't a sensical argument at all. These edgequeers were just making the retarded claim that because these kittens were babies that they should be killed. I really wish we could scrub all the edgefaggotry out of this board and just have a nice blue board about animals and people who like animals.
>>
File: IMG_20160528_153843.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160528_153843.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
Pictures coming as promised.

The girl is having some nasty farts, she sucks a lot of air while suckling. Poor baby also has a lot of diarrhea too. I was told that might happen after the dewormer if there are worms. I don't get why she would have it worse than the boy though.

pic related- The girl suckling and pawing a stuffed toy
>>
File: IMG_20160531_103130.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160531_103130.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
A pic of the boy's closed eyes
>>
File: IMG_20160527_100553copy.jpg (790KB, 3352x2060px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160527_100553copy.jpg
790KB, 3352x2060px
>>
HOly shit, anon, I feel bad for you. Sounds like they were merely a day or two old when you got them.

If that is the case, they will be very, very hard to raise. Especially if they didn't get the colostrum from mom.

Bloating is pretty typical, and so is upset tummy when getting used to a new formula. I think it sounds like you are doing fine, but no rescue should EVER put such young kittens with someone not experienced with bottle feeding. Even bottle feeding kittens who are already three weeks is challenging.

If you managed to get them pooping, that is the hardest part. Just make sure they keep doing so and you'll be fine. Keep checking gums and scruff for hydration signs, feed when they cry, burp and stimulate after eating. Don't bottle feed them upside down. Using syringes is better than bottles, because they can inhale a lot of air with those damned baby bottles from walmart and such. Makes them extra constipated and gassy/bloaty.

Peeing is more important than pooping right now. Kittens this age can go a day without pooping, but if they don't pee properly they will die very quickly.

Good luck. You are doing good work.
>>
>>2137555
Diarrhea is symptomatic of bottle feeding kittens. Adding a tiny bit of pumpkin can help, but I would wait for them to get a little bit older and let them get used to the formula first.

Work with the dilution of the formula too. Diluting it a little more can help with hydration, transition and constipation.
>>
Such tiny little kitties! Keep the pics coming. They are officially adorable. Also agree that you're doing a fantastic job.
>>
File: If i could hold on to your edge.jpg (19KB, 358x243px) Image search: [Google]
If i could hold on to your edge.jpg
19KB, 358x243px
>>2132612
>>
>>2133884
kek
>>
>>2132612
>>2132704
>>2133916
all me :)
>>
>>2137924
You're a god damn liar.

And I should know. I'm doctor.
>>
>>2137928
You're a damn gigantic fucking faggot and should probably kill yourself for wishing harm on innocent creatures that literally have not had even a week to figure out the world they were forced into.
Maybe you're upset cause they'll bring more joy to someone else's life when they grow up then you ever will
>>
>>2138018
Don't feed the trolls dude. If you ignore him he'll get bored and go away.
>>
>>2132612
>craniumly
that actually made me giggle.

it's hard to fuck up anatomical terms so they're funny, but you managed it.
>>
>>2132617
i thought it was pretty funny plus those cats wont live past a 2 weeks. they dont even have a mother
>>
>>2138018
>Cats
>Innocent
My friend, I think you should leave the medical care and philosophical dilemma to the experts.

After all, I am a doctor.
>>
I wish I had good news to report, but the best I have is they are still kicking it. I've got to give it to them, they are fighters. There is no reason they should be alive this long.

Even though they are both up to 6 ounces, they are now eating less with 3 hours apart than what they were eating when they were 4 ounces eating every other hour (I struggle to get three MLS in, were they polished 4mls before). They both have diarrhea, but the girl has a prolapse from all the strain. I was given meds for the diarrhea (it does help a little bit) and prep H for the butt hole, but I'm not good at fixing the prolapse. I see the vet again today so I'm going to ask her to show me again.
>>
>>2138895
Dilute the formula a bit more and increase frequency of feedings until you get them back on track.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.