[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of pet snake should I get? Stuck between a corn and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: corns.jpg (417KB, 1504x1837px) Image search: [Google]
corns.jpg
417KB, 1504x1837px
What kind of pet snake should I get? Stuck between a corn and a garter, can I have both in the same tank?

Any general info to know before I get started?
>>
>>2120829
Corn
for
fucking
sure.
>better yet get a bearded dragon
>>
>>2120829

No you cannot house a corn and a garter in the same tank. You can, however, house two garters in the same tank usually without any trouble. They are fairly unique amongst snakes in that they do tend to live in close proximity to each other in the wild.

Corns are quite a bit bigger as adults than garters. Garters have a more specialized diet. Corns do fine on frozen mice their entire lives.
>>
>>2120832
no need to be hasty
>>2120835
thanks for the legit info, I've done quite a bit of research the past couple of weeks to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

This thread was more of just a conversation starter about first time snake owners. I like smaller snakes and non-pythons.
>>
>>2120829
For babby's first snake, corns beat garters in every respect, easy diet, they're not delicate little things like garters, and you can't beat all the varieties of comfy colours and patterns available either. Got a snow corn a decade ago and she's been nothing short of lovely all that time
>>
>>2120876
I would like that, but my only objection is that you can feed garters many more things, and it would be fun to watch my little snake hunt for fish in its water dish.
Corns are much better for handling though...
Will make a decision and get a baby soon... Thinking of naming him/her noodle.
>>
You're way to ignorant to get a snake any time soon. I'd like to choke you to death.
>>
>>2120895
explain? please?
>>
>>2120900
>>2120895
Agreed, this is someone who is willing to educate themselves before getting the snek. Should contribute actual advice and tips, or at least links to places that can help.
>>
>>2120879

The feeding will lose its entertainment value pretty quick so I wouldn't recommend making any decisions based on that. It is a worthwhile consideration to select a snake that does not have a habit of taking long hunger strikes though (ball pythons) as that can get annoying to deal with. In this respect corns are also excellent, and colubrids in general for that matter. Colubrids always eat on schedule.
>>
Get a ball python. Easiest to take care of and is cool af
>>
>>2120984

Err, no. BP's are not the easiest snake to take care of (easy but not easiest). Any arid climate snake is simpler as there is no need to worry about keeping humidity up at the BP range of 50%-60%.
>>
>>2120900
OP just google 'caresheet' for whatever snake you're interested in, skim the general facts on at least 4 of them, this way you get the more consistent info that one may not provide, or one may be completely wrong.

Also be warned, even 'easy' snakes still take a good setup to get started. They require a constant temp on both sides of the cage, one being warm and one being cooler, and they require certain hides and moisture amounts in the air.

If this isn't provided correctly, the snake will have difficulty digesting food and shedding which can lead to health issues later.
>>
>>2120980
Thanks, I understand that, thanks again though
>>
>>2120993
Have done so, thanks
>>
Mexican black kingsnake
Docile and loves people
Have converted three people who feared snakes to not only love them, but get their own as well
>>
File: 1463183052047.jpg (3MB, 3200x1563px) Image search: [Google]
1463183052047.jpg
3MB, 3200x1563px
High White Cali King snake pic related, my baby
>>
File: Snapchat-1961261867097999530.jpg (379KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1961261867097999530.jpg
379KB, 1440x2392px
Actually thinking of getting a Ball Phyton soon myself, my friend owns four and is helping me set up a tank, heating pad, cave, water dish,etc. Handled it all weekend and I plan to do more research before actually buying. Any real complaints about them? Is it good to bring them out and let them chill with you everyother day,etc?

Pic is me and his biggest one.
>>
>>2123221
they can be picky eaters some times(Ive had 1-3 for around 4 years now and never gone through a food strike though)

Other than that not really they are really chill and docile animals
>>
File: 20160514_215558.jpg (677KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160514_215558.jpg
677KB, 1920x1080px
>>2123223
We tried to feed the big one today, but was not hungry at all. We feed the other three no problem. One has eaten three weeks in a row but he's a growing boy. Do you feed them once a month or every three weeks,etc?
Live alone and not allowed cats and if I can have a snake bro I'd totally be up for it.
>>
>>2123226

Feeding for juveniles every 7 days

Feeding for adults every 10-14 days when they're on regular feeding schedule. Hunger strikes can last one+ month though. There are many other snake species commonly kept as pets that do not have that issue.

2-3 times handling per week is fine but try to keep it to 30 minutes maximum each time, both to minimize stress and also to minimize exposure to suboptimal temperatures. BP comfy range is 75-90 so room temp is a little on the chilly side for them.
>>
>>2123272
My PC tends to heat up my room so I was thinking of keeping it in the other room so the temperature stays more stable, live in Canada and the outside weather has just been terrible.

I was thinking of buying one off someone that's already a year or two old and making sure it's friendly/proper eating habits and living.
>>
>>2123150
That stamp on its head looks like Burning Man.

Or a church steeple.
>>
>>2123318

Sometimes you get patterns that look like a face.
>>
>>2120829
Garter, you can have more than one.
Read all care sheets
>>
>>2123150
I used to have one of these guys but the stripe on his back was solid black (all 'fuzzy' around it though. Loved that guy
>>
>>2123150
What substrate is that?
>>
>>2123420

Looks like coconut husk chips.
>>
File: download.png (15KB, 449x112px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
15KB, 449x112px
My tank is 36*18*18
And I keep my house at 65
I have a uth for the corn, but should I get an 25w day light bulb?
>>
>>2123649

Yes. My apartment averages similar temps in winter. Your uth will have the warm spot taken care of but your cool side/ambient will be too low. You may also consider a low wattage ceramic heat emitter, say about 40w, then use a dimmer to cut its output to about 60%. The bonus of a CHE is that you can leave it on all the time without disturbing the snek's light cycle.
>>
Same guy who was asking about Ball pythons, but what's a good size for a 2 feet one? Probably buying one that size and just trying to get a proper tank set up. Probably using uth.
>>
>>2120829
really depends what you want. I got this garter on tuesday. garters have been my preferance because they stay small and their food is really affordable (nightcrawler worms, guppies, silversides, pinkies, sometimes small mice) Mine will be on a earthworm and fish diet since Im a pussy and have had several rodent pets. If you can afford a rodent diet and have room for a bigger snake/tank, go with a corn snake!
>>
>>2120879
watching garters hunt fish is endlessly entertaining. mine is super shy since hes new, but theyre supposed to be some of the most active and curious snakes there are
>>
>>2120993
>even 'easy' snakes still take a good setup to get started
this is true, my garter ran me 250 in supplies
>>
>>2123692

20g long until it hits 3 feet, then upgrade. Equivalent size plastic tub will be fine.
>>
File: CaptchaPLS.jpg (125KB, 404x605px) Image search: [Google]
CaptchaPLS.jpg
125KB, 404x605px
>>2123723

For final adult size, a 30g breeder tank is usually sufficient unless it's a particularly large female. In the case of BP's, bigger is not necessarily better in terms of floor space. They tend to eat better and be less stressed out in cozier environs.
>>
>>2123712
>>2123708
Are those live plants in there?
Newbie here
>>
>>2123768
nope, those are just plastic ones from the pet store. im a newbie myself. Ive had snakes i caught before for short periods of time, but that was yers ago. This is the first snake I've had that I bought and I'm doing everything as legit as possible
>>
>>2123673
>i don't want to cook my snake after preparing the habitat the cool side is only 71ish. Is ceramic the way to go without cooking the snek
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.