[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Baby coon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: raccoon-newborn-small.jpg (17KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
raccoon-newborn-small.jpg
17KB, 700x525px
Forgot this board existed, would've asked here earlier

Found a baby coon in my back yard by a tree. Pretty small and eyes are closed, a little bit of ringing is starting to show on the tail. Looks barely older than pic related.

I noticed it because it was crying. It crawled to the sound of my voice. No way it came a long distance dragging itself, so it had to be from the tree. But I can't see a cavity or nest. It's around 3 stories tall and thick, but it thins out as it goes up and I just can't imagine space for a nest.

Limbs look fine, no sign of blood or punctures. Not sure if its spine broke in the fall. Very clean, and I suspect it fell only a few minutes before I noticed it because my cat was resting a few yards away.

I shielded it from the sun with an upside down laundry basket and it stopped crying. It's on a towel so ants can't eat him. It's a hot day so I haven't given it an electric blanket yet.

Plan is to leave it alone overnight with a heat source and see if mom shows up. If she doesn't, it's going to starve because who's going to come out here to raise and rehab a coon?
>>
Take it to the vet and if it's fine raise it as your coon bro.
>>
>>2120049
He's dead now

He was a lot less animate by the time I got the laundry basket to him, I assumed he just wanted to sleep. He lived for about 3-4 hours.
>>
File: 1461536892439.png (37KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1461536892439.png
37KB, 658x662px
>>2120068
>>
File: pig fights raccoon on a rope.webm (645KB, 236x426px) Image search: [Google]
pig fights raccoon on a rope.webm
645KB, 236x426px
>>2120014
>>
File: roccotwixx.jpg (204KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
roccotwixx.jpg
204KB, 1280x1280px
Sorry about your dead baby.
My mom and I found a baby raccoon on the side of a trail last night. Mom wanted to take it home then but I said to wait so the mom would have a chance to come back. My mom went back to the trail this morning and the baby was still there abandoned and freezing so she took him then. We dropped him off at my uncle's during the day for him to take care of and now he wants to keep it.
Raccoons aren't great pets though I hear so hopefully he reconsiders it.
Pic related it's the baby.
>>
>>2120769
In my googling I found that hydrating and feeding them was complicated. Tell your uncle to look for directions on the internet. If you feed them while they are dehydrated they can die. If you feed them wrong or too fast they can die.

Also they have to be dewormed at a certain age because wild raccoons are guaranteed to carry parasites. The worms aren't mature enough to be a problem when they are babies though.
>>
>>2120068

Take something positive o ut of this experience though: how would you like to become a wildlife rehabilitator? It is an interesting and educational field that can be very fulfilling. Look up classes in your area, most states offer them, they are not too pricey, and can be finished relatively quickly. Just a thought.
>>
>>2120926
I'm not an animal guy, so fuck me

We just had a VERY hard rain and wind. I got a hunch and went out with a flash light when the rain died down. There was another raccoon on the ground. I got it inside and put it on heat.

I noticed a weird hairball a few days ago on our back porch that I'm starting to re-interpret. I think my cat ate one, and these things have been jumping for the past few days because the nest is probably abandoned.

This one might be in better shape, its head is straight. I think the last one had a broken neck. I guess I'll try hydrating it and calling people tomorrow assuming it lives much longer.
>>
>>2120014
>Baby coon

That's racist
>>
>>2122371
Left it out overnight and the mother didn't pick it up, so I took the black child to a wildlife rehabilitator

Long drive, hope I don't find another one
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.