[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 303
Thread images: 55

File: Lampropeltis_getula_floridana.jpg (816KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Lampropeltis_getula_floridana.jpg
816KB, 2048x1365px
I remembered the /herp/ this time: edition

old thread >>2104833

pic is Lampropeltis getula floridana, aka Florida king snake. My favorite king snake species and the most striking pattern I have ever had a chance to see on a snake in person. Brook's king snakes (L.g. Brooksi) have a similar pattern as well.

/herp/ officially official all-purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>do not fuck with your new herp for at least one week after bringing it home
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>>
File: lampropeltis_getula_holbrooki.jpg (312KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
lampropeltis_getula_holbrooki.jpg
312KB, 1200x800px
>>
File: whitewallspeckled.jpg (119KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
whitewallspeckled.jpg
119KB, 800x534px
>>
File: bwking.jpg (627KB, 798x600px) Image search: [Google]
bwking.jpg
627KB, 798x600px
>>
File: piedbp.jpg (201KB, 2687x1656px) Image search: [Google]
piedbp.jpg
201KB, 2687x1656px
and one bally because even though ball pythons are ridiculously over-represented in reptile keeping hobby, and even though they're super docile and often boring and sometimes fussy eaters sometimes crappy shedders, i still love them.
>>
>>2114905

I should note that l.g. brooksi is more or less agreed upon now that it is a morph of the l.g. Floridana.
>>
So I've settled on a Kingsnake for my first snake and I've been eyeballing a T8 from Animal Plastics for the enclosure since it's on sale.

My question is, do I need a heat mat or lamp for my Kingsnake? I live in Cali if it matters.

Should I even bother going crazy with setting up an enclosure? The kingsnake I was looking at is a juvenile and I've read that it's better to keep Juveniles in simple small plastic critter carriers since they get anxious in large spaces.
>>
>>2114966
...Huh, actually I was just looking and I just realized there's going to be a Reptile show in Pleasanton right next door to me in a week.

Which means I could probably snag a baby kingsnake from a breeder. Better than buying it at Petsmart.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1MB, 2359x1769px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1MB, 2359x1769px
>>
>Petco I work at got 3 tiny baby blue morph iguanas today
sumbitch, now I have another reptile to help baby sit because people are stupid.
Its bad enough I have to quiz people on chameleon care already.
>>
>>2114976
Do those chameleons die a lot? I honestly can't imagine them going to any kind of good homes at petco.
>>
>>2114979
our aquatics manager screens people pretty good.
At least one of them went to a good home. The whole family came and they listened to her spiel and they bought everything she recommended, even the more expensive misting system.

We've probably sold 3 or 4 of them, I havent heard that any of them have died yet.

We're also planning on handling the iguanas pretty often so they don't end up as 6 foot long jerks
>>
>>2114966
I personally prefer heat panels over either of those. You'll probably want to go with a 40 watt from RBI (I've never dealt with Pro Line but I hear they're good), I have an 80 watt in my T12's and they heat that size of cage very well. If the T8 has the same floor space as the T12 (4'x2'), you may get away with an 80 watt, you may just have to lower the temperature setting.

As far as I know, just the heat tape should be plenty but I'm rather partial to ambient heat and prefer that as my primary heat source.

>>2114968
This is a good idea! Generally reputable breeders go to shows and you can see the animal in person to boot, but be sure to get the seller/breeder's information and look them up on BOI before purchasing (board of inquiry - on Fauna Classifieds).
>>
File: 9.jpg (246KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
246KB, 768x1024px
I decided today that snakes are cool and I want a Mexican Black King snake.
I sort of understand most of what's needed but I'm still doing research.
What's the best way to go about something like pic related. I want it to be modern and will live moss and stuff be okay with a snake or should I stick to the fake stuff?
>>
>>2114984

King snakes are arid climate species. Moss needs high humidity to grow. High humidity can give king snakes respiratory infections.

You can either choose a herp that needs high humidity, like frogs, or reevaluate how you wanna do decor/use silk and plastic foliage.
>>
>>2114984
I'm working on the same thing buddy. A little bothered though because i used the wrong silicone and have to start over.

Anyways youre going to want some good, natural soil that isnt going to become stagnant and anaerobic. Using a false bottom, hydro balls or lava rock with a screen over the top, with the soil on top keeps the soil from becoming too saturated in water and lets it be healthy.

Esentially youre going to be creating an little contained ecosystem, so you want to have microfauna in the dirt to break down nutrients for the plants and to eat your pets poop. Isopods and springtails are common in the hobby for this.

Moss is hard to get growing and established but it just takes patience. Youre going to want to make sure every component of the vivarium is nontoxic for your potential pet and that everything can hold up in high humidity.

Ive been researching the fuck out of this for 3 months so feel free to ask me questions, although ive yet to get started all my supplies is coming next tuesday. I have some plants thriving in the enclosure im using right now though.

Check out neherp and black jungle articles on vivariums. I think neherp is probably the best site for the kinda knowledge and supplies youre looking for and they are super friendly and will answer any questions you have.
>>
>>2114988
This, and also it's likely trample most of those plants.
>>
my bp hasn't pooped in like 4 months but is still eating. hasn't missed a meal and is at about 340g right now. is this normal bp shit?
>>
I went to check on my snake today and he seemed to have noticed me while he was slithering around. When he does he usually will freeze or be cautious, but not this time. I then proceeded to enter my hand into to the enclosure to take him, although he never lets people take him unless he's in his hide.

This time though, I just presented my hand to him, and after a few licks he started to climb on my arm.

Pretty cool huh? I don't know if this happens a lot because it's my first snake but I've never seen him so relaxed before.
>>
>>2115197
No. Put him in a 30C bath for half an hour.
>>
File: 0504161444d.jpg (2MB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
0504161444d.jpg
2MB, 2240x1344px
>Tfw it's literally 100 degrees outside
>>
>>2115342
Aren't you worried it will run away?
>>
>>2115342
He looks pleased with how the day is going :3
>>
>>2115354
Has never even tried a single time, after about 30 times of doing it.
>>
>>2115367
>after about 30 times of doing it.
I meant after 30 times going outside, not 30 times of her trying to run away. kek
>>
>>2115342
My beardie always get really stressed when I take her out, get like super dark skins and black beard though doesn't flex the beard.
>>
>>2115371
I think they turn dark to absorb heat better.

Here in Georgia it's about 90-100 degrees every day in the spring and summer, so she doesn't turn dark because she doesn't need to since it's already blazing hot.
>>
>>2114976
the small chain pet place by me won't sell you a chameleon unless you know your shit
>>
>>2115283
I had a snake who used to do this. It really depends on the individual imo.
>>
>>2115372
oh really. I didn't know that, I always thought of going dark as being purely a stress response. Good to know, will take her out more then.
>>
>>2115389
Well it could possibly be a stress response if there are shit loads of birds in your area, as birds like to eat tasty lizards and bearded dragons are scared of birds.
>>
>look up more info on local herp show
>look at pictures
>literally nothing but meme 450$ boas and balls for sale
Are the prices for equipment at shows cheaper at least? Starting to think it might not be worth it to go. I just want a simple black and white kingsnake.
>>
>>2115283

reptiles can be funny in this way. like they're shy and cautious for some period of time, months, years even, then one day something clicks and they decide you're bestest of friends and will happily climb right up your arm whenever.
>>
>>2115404

There are always less expensive animals at reptile shows, just not explicitly advertised prior.

Equipment is usually less expensive at those shows as well. Sellers go to those things in part to offload excess inventory.
>>
File: IMG_0089.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0089.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I've had her for a little over a week, and she cracks me up.
>>
>>2115459

yay hoggy!

>captcha: noodles
>>
Really wanna post pictures of my herps but the images are too large and I'm too retarded to figure out how to change the size on my phone. So you guys will have to settle for an old picture of my red foot.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with using a cypress blend as a bedding for a leopard gecko? Im tired of tile and the guy at our local herp store recommended using that, and they've never let me down before. Any advice?
>>
>>2115389
they also do it when trying to mate. maybe it's tryinf to fuck your leg anon
>>
File: ExoTerra_Sand_Mat.jpg (371KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ExoTerra_Sand_Mat.jpg
371KB, 800x800px
>>2115489

You could as long as you feed primarily from a bowl instead of loose crickets/roaches. Other safer options are excavator clay and exo terra sand mats.

With excavator clay you need to house your gecko in something else for a couple days to let the clay set and dry after installing it.
>>
>>2115499
It's natural for a bearded dragon to have a patch of black on its chin even if it isn't actually stressed right? I can see it in this picture and my dragon has it too, as well as some other dragons I've seen.

My dragon's belly can be a pretty milky white but she has a permanent stripe of black on her chin.
>>
>>2115499

Alright cool. I might try the mat first and see how that goes. I've tried feeding her in a separate container before but she seemed a little disoriented. I've seen people use the excavator clay to great effect before but I'm not sure I have enough faith in myself to do it correctly. Would that mat transfer heat fairly well? Seems pretty thin, so would just one be alright or should I consider stacking two on top of each other? That's my main problem with the tile I have, the animal is healthy of course and the temps are pretty good, but I have to actually adjust my thermostat a little higher than usual to reach the correct temps.
>>
>>2115516

I don't know. I've never kept beardies before. That's just exo terra's promo photo for the mat.

>>2115520

Yeah heat transfer through those mats is no problem. They do not, however, retain heat in the way that tile does. It's more of a similar condition you would have when using reptile carpet, paper towels, newspaper etc.

About excavator clay, heat transfer is an important consideration. The packaging for that stuff specifically says not to use it directly above the area you have your UTH placed as it does not disperse heat and could potentially cause the UTH to overheat/fail. When i have used excavator clay, I always put tile over the section that has the UTH under it and put excavator only on the middle and cool sides.
>>
>>2115551

I see. Thanks for all the info. I may just stick with the tile in that case, maybe try the loose bedding for a feeding or two ( I always feed them from a bowl but sometimes one or two jump out). I did a lot of research before getting her and tile seemed like the easiest option since it retains heat and shit. Have a pic of my untameable little demon crestie for your troubles, anon.
>>
Going to be travelling for about 4 weeks and I was thinking about setting up a misting system for my ball python since I won't be around to do it. I live in a very dry climate. Im having a friend check in on him and feed him but asking someone to come over and mist 2 or 3 times a day is a bit much.

Probably one of those diy ones made from a drug store humidifier and some piping attached to a timer. Is this a horrible idea? Any other suggestions? I have a few weeks before setting off to try a few ideas out.
>>
>>2115572
get a substrate that actually retains water
I'm using cypress mulch and even as dry as it is now, I just have to dump a bunch of water into it every couple of days
>>
>>2115577
I'm using cypress mulch and have some sphagnum moss tucked in a few places. Still drops down to 40% or 30% if I don't mist twice a day. I live in a desert.
>>
>>2115580
really? then it sounds like you need to find a way to seal your tank.
I also live in a desert and have a CHE going most of the time. When I soak the substrate it goes from about 70 down to 50 over about 36 hours.
>>
>>2115582
It's a glass aquarium. It holds water so the sides are sealed well. And I cut a piece of corrugated plastic to fit the top with a few small ventilation holes. He's going to get a new enclosure but not for a while.

Do you mean you just dump water instead of misting? Won't that mold?
>>
>>2115580

What style of tank do you have? If it's a glass aquarium with a screen top you can cover about 70% of the screen with aluminum foil taped down. I also live in dry climate, humidity in the room is 25% in winter to about 35-40% in summer. I do the partial foil coverage for my crested gecko tanks and maintain humidity of about 60% baseline with one mist per day. Although with the geckos I can keep the substrate more moist than you would want to do for a snake that lives at ground level all the time, as the geckos are always up in the branches.

Also you can put in a larger water bowl.
>>
>>2115589

> And I cut a piece of corrugated plastic to fit the top with a few small ventilation holes

Hmm.... in that case things get trickier. It might be easier to get a room humidifier to bring your ambient humidity up.
>>
>>2115417
I hope this is true anon. I've only had my sbake for a few months. I hope it will continue this way, because some same rat snakes, in particular texas rat snakes, get more bity as they grow.

Mine has been a charm since day 1 and i'd hate to see him become a jerk.
>>
>>2115617
Fuckin phone: some say rat snakes*
>>
File: House-Gecko-Photos.jpg (87KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
House-Gecko-Photos.jpg
87KB, 640x456px
Hi /herp/

I'm thinking about purchasing a couple house gecko for my planted terrarium. I've never had a reptile so i want to start cheap and i like their life spans arent super long compared to something like a crested, they dont need special lighting, and will do well in the conditions my vivarium is already at. I know their feeders but theyre cute.

My question is are crickets the best staple for their diet or is there a slower alternative i can leave in a hanging dish or something? My tank is kind of big and awkward so its hard to get my hands in there to take any uneaten ones out and i wouldnt want a gecko trying to escape while i was taking crickets out. Is there maybe a way to contain a cricket? Break its legs or something? Is there an easy way to take them out?

How do you guys remove crickets? Im just afraid it will hide in some plant and i wont be able to nudge them out or something and that it eill gnaw on my lizards, or are they not as fast as im imagining?

Is there an equivalent to crickets for nutrition?
>>
>>2115638
You could have a separate smaller tank for feeding.
>>
>>2115638

Dubia Roach nymphs (babies) should be small enough.

Phoenix worms.

It is possible to confine crickets to a smooth sided bowl by breaking their rear legs, yeah. I feel shitty for doing this and generally don't bother with crickets at all. Anyway, the way to do it is to put crickets in a zip lock bag, close the bag, and snap their jumping legs by pressing with your fingers from outside. It's tedious and cruel but there ya go.
>>
>>2115589
I do mean dump water
get a couple big cupfuls of water and just pour it around the tank, and kind of aerate the substrate as you do it
I've been doing it for a couple months now and haven't noticed any mold.
Since i live in a very dry area, i'm pretty sure it dries itself out fast enough to not have to worry about it.
>>
Fuck, I mentioned last thread how BHB said I could send the carpet python back. They told me not to tell fed ex that its a snake and I didnt think of anything.
Apparently fed ex will only send reptiles from businesses to another business and you need a license or something along the lines of one. What the fuck am I suppose to tell the fed ex people it is. It says perishable so I guess it could be food.
>>
>>2115652
feeder insects?
>>
>>2115652

Do the shipment through shipyourreptiles (com). They are a company that exists to aid in reptile shipment. It'll be same price or cheaper as ship your reptiles can sometimes get you a better rate than you would get by just going direct through FedEx.
>>
>>2115641
Ill do my research thank you. I have 5 male hissers and 2 undetermined. Are hissimg cockroach nymphs acceptable too? Assuming i have breeders on my hands?

>>2115640
Its not advised to handle house geckos often or at all so this wouldnt really be a good option.
>>
>>2115659

That should be fine. Only offer roaches that are no larger than the space between your geckos' eyes.
>>
>>2115649
Alright I'll try that out. Thanks!
>>
File: 1453363297670 (1).jpg (92KB, 768x783px) Image search: [Google]
1453363297670 (1).jpg
92KB, 768x783px
>>2115652
That's pretty fucking funny, but if you think about it, that means fedex will manhandle the shit out of your package, I've seen what they go through at processing centers. Poor snek is going to get tossed around like fuck, BHB is pretty retarded.

>tfw everything for snek is all set up
>just have to wait until reptile show comes around next week to buy first snek
HYPE
>>
I want to buy a blue tounge skink. Don't really want to order online and want it under 150. I assume here in South Florida there would be some kind of Skink breeder or exotic pet stores.
>>
>>2115759
Find out about any upcoming Reptile shows
>>
>tfw no lizard equivalent to dogs or cats
They're cool, but I want to feel like I have a personal relationship with my pets, and everything I've heard about reptiles includes no real capacity for that. I'd love to hear an exception
>>
>>2115775
> but I want to feel like I have a personal relationship with my pets,

the only animals you can do that with are children.
>>
File: cFMgafu.jpg (303KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
cFMgafu.jpg
303KB, 1280x854px
>>2115775
Hey
>>
File: 9gecOwP.jpg (195KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
9gecOwP.jpg
195KB, 2048x1365px
>>2115775
Sup
>>
>>2115759
the daytona show is in august, if you can wait. Its a pretty fucking amazing show.
>>
>>2115775
tegus, certain monitors, and rock iguanas are probably the closest you can get to a "personal relationship"
They can learn to recognize you as a safe space and will seek you out for food or warmth.
But its all very iffy how much they can actually connect with you.
>>
My tegu hates baths, how to fix? To start when I got it, they didn't mind bathing and would poop but now they always scramble to get out.
>>
>>2115641
What about turkish runners?
Dubia will burrow.
>>
>>2115800
you're fucked if they escape, it's one of the only feeder roaches that can actually reproduce when they're loose.
>>
>>2115777
This. The only personal relationship cats and dogs have with you is the one you delusioned yourself into through anthropomorphism.
>>
Ah fuck. I just had one of the most dreadful moments of my life so far.

Left my tortoise out in it's outdoor run as I do every day. Came to bring her back in and couldn't see her anywhere. Pushing through all her foliage, picking up all the various hides. I was convinced she somehow escaped.

Scoured every inch of my garden. Then I turned to the neighbours to see if they had seen a tortoise. No luck. One came round to help me look in my garden and we still had no luck.

So I went back to her run and noticed something just ever so slight about the ground in one area, I'm not even really sure why it caught my eye because it looked the same as most of the other ground.

But anyway, I went to shifted the dirt by about an inch. And sure enough, there was my tortoise.

I knew they could did, but she's never dug herself that far down before. Usually her shell is always exposed at least a bit.
>>
>>2115775
i'd say my beardie is better than any cat ive ever own. it doesnt help that my cats were feral assholes. get an animal that's always out and about. i had geckos but all they didnwas hide. my beardie watches every move. my friend has a corn snake that will shoot its head up outta the aspen if he walks in the room. it all depends on the animal. iguanas can be affectionate but if you dont raise them right they're fuckin bastards. cats are still fuckin gay tho
>>
>>2115775
You can buy any reptile and compensate with it your insecurities or lack of affection ascribing it any feeling for you that you want based on no fucking real evidence besides what you want them to feel for you like you'd do with any dog or cat.
>>
File: 0210161931_resized.jpg (455KB, 1008x1680px) Image search: [Google]
0210161931_resized.jpg
455KB, 1008x1680px
is 13 inches a good length for an exactly five month old bearded dragon? She's my first reptile and I'd like to know if I'm doing a good job raising her, she's right about to start shedding again, so she might be even bigger in a week or two, it's so fun to see her grow.

It feels like pic related was just yesterday, they grow really quick.
>>
>>2116312

Sounds about right. I'm sure you're doing fine.
>>
>some guy uploads a video of a redtail boa swallowing his penis
JESUS CHRIST IMAGINE THE TEETH
>>
>>2115572
A mister is not the way to go if you want to increase humidity. The humidity will artificially increase right after misting, but it will fall drastically quickly.

You need some way to reduce air flow and increase the amount of water evaporating into the air. I do this by using ambient heat and mixing water directly into the bedding until it's damp. Over the course of the next week or two, it slowly releases a large amount of humidity. It may evaporate faster and the bedding last a shorter amount of time where you live, but it will save a lot of headaches.

I dump anywhere from a few cups to like 20 gallons of water into my set ups, depending on the size of the floor space and depth of the substrate.

>>2115593
This may also be a good idea, it will reduce the amount of humidity escaping from your enclosure.
>>
File: image.jpg (244KB, 2048x1647px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
244KB, 2048x1647px
My snake seems mad for some reason. What do I do?
>>
new to /an/, but why did you choose "herp" as the name, /amph/ seems better
herp sounds retarded

anyways, can snakes fly?
>>
All my pets bite me once when I first get them. Tegu bit me, bearded dragon bit me, even my tortoise bit me. I must have like really tasty hands or something because they never seem stressed when biting.
>>
>>2116795
There's way more reptiles in these threads than amphibians so "amph" wouldn't make sense and herpetology encompasses both reptiles and amphibians.
>>
File: 20160506_190734.jpg (4MB, 3034x1703px) Image search: [Google]
20160506_190734.jpg
4MB, 3034x1703px
So I just got a little barred tiger, I just went out and found some driftwood in the a creek near were I live. The wood was kind of far drop the bank of the creek, and was dry when I found it. I rinsed it off for a few minutes, got the dirt and other matter off, and put it in there. It's old and pretty soft so it won't hurt him.

Is this good to keep in there now or should I be worried about parasites or something in the wood?

Pic related
>>
>>2116795
>herp sounds retarded

I think that was the point
>>
>>2116802
Maybe now that its wet again. Standard procedure for stuff like that is to boil it in water first.
>>
>>2116802
You should bake it first.
>>
>>2116802
Put it in a big pot of boiling water, then put it in an oven to bake while it's still boiling

That ought to fucking do it.
>>
>>2116822
Driftwood stew, my favourite.
>>
>>2116717
Just ask him what's wrong you asshole. He might be going through some stuff
>>
I have never seen a snake beg for food before
this is hilarious, also I guess it means she's done with her little hunger strike
>>
>>2116795
Yes, there is a species of snake that can actually glide long distances. YouTube it.
>>
>>2116795
yeah, but you gotta buy him a plane ticket first
>>
File: spxLICZh.jpg (100KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
spxLICZh.jpg
100KB, 576x1024px
she struck so hard part of the tail came off
>>
File: 20160507_021123.jpg (3MB, 2652x1625px) Image search: [Google]
20160507_021123.jpg
3MB, 2652x1625px
Could this be the start of red-leg in my Pacman frog? It's only reddish in that one spot on one side, not on the leg but on the back of the belly, in front of the leg, pic related.

The frog shows no sign of sickness otherwise, he's eating good and behaving fine.

Red-leg or just a random red spot, possibly slight abrasion?
>>
Decided to splurge on a new PVC terrarium today. Going full fancy on the heating with a radiant heat panel. The future inhabitant will be a small/medium snek of some type, not completely decided on species yet. I've had it with glass tanks and insulating them diy style. No more.
>>
>>2116990
Are glass tanks really that bad for retaining heat? I wanted to use an old 10 gallon I had for my kingsnek
>>
File: 20160507_021157.jpg (2MB, 2616x1527px) Image search: [Google]
20160507_021157.jpg
2MB, 2616x1527px
>>2116982
Another pic of concern area on left
>>
>>2116995
It depends on the temp range of your species and the ambient room temp. For a king, a glass tank would be fine in 73 degree room with a uth for hot side heat as you're not trying to maintain temperatures or humidity that far off from room temp. Also king snakes have low humidity requirement so humidity retention isnt important. In my case, room temp usually hovers between 65-70 and gives me issues for warmer climate species because of that.

A king snake will outgrow that 10g pretty quick though.
>>
>>2116996

That bit of red on the leg side? Looks more like froggy rubbed up against something. Red leg is a more pronounced all over red. Google photos to see. Keep an eye on it but for now I don't think you need to do anything different. If it spreads a vet trip may be in order.
>>
>>2117004
*left side above leg I meant
>>
>>2117004
Okay thanks dude. I freaked out when I saw it so that puts my mind at ease at least a little bit
>>
>>2116996
never seen such an up close frog butt hole action shot
>>
>>2117002
I'm buying a baby and I've been told it will last in that tank for about a year. I plan to get a T3 for it soon after though.

I'm a little worried about the humidity though, I have 4 aquariums in the room so there's probably a lot of water vapor in the air.
>>
>>2116995
10 gallon is awfully small
>>
>>2117302
See
>>2117284
It's a baby from a breeder.
>>
You put one fully grown adult bearded dragon and a adult Leopard gecko in the same tank, who would win?
>>
>>2117352

A UVB and a basking bulb is all she needs

That's it.

There should be a cooler side and a warmer side of the tank and the entire thing should be lit.
>>
>>2117344
Are ye fukin retarded?
>>
>>2117357

Nigga I'm just asking
>>
Rephrased:
50 gallon tank
Bearded dragon

What is the best setup for heating, lighting, et cetera? I live in a high elevation area (Utah), but this is indoors. The current setup is a crazy arrangement of four bulbs in fixtures.
>>2117356
A basking bulb? What about the whole "it needs to be 85 in the cool side" or whatever?
>>
>>2117360

UVB and basking light should be together, get rid of the night light. It should be completely dark
>>
>>2117362
So it can live in the ~68-~72 degree F temperatures indoors?
>>
>>2117364

Yeah
>>
>>2117365
She originally bought the extra bulbs because the cool side was not staying around 80 in the daytime. Is this because the tank is too big?
>>
>>2117370

Cool side should be cool anon
>>
File: image.jpg (204KB, 1854x1010px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
204KB, 1854x1010px
My snakes are broke
>>
>>2116795
schools out and the summerfag reports in
>>
>>2117385

No snek jobs in bad economy?
>>
>>2117476
Don't think so. Poor girl
>>
>>2114984
I got a small terrarium withe live plants for my snake amd they so very well as long as you remember to water them and mist the enclosure to ensure proper humidity for the snake and plants. Some plants do better in closed environments, look for some that fit the bill and it will look awesome.
>>
>>2116980
That's happened a few times with frozen meals
>>
File: 20160224_001757.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160224_001757.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
morelia master race reporting in.
My Morelia Bredli, Valkia a month or two ago. She's pushing 8 ft now. Will upload pics of my GTP and carpet in a bit.
>>
File: 0RZzjaE.jpg (614KB, 1500x1010px) Image search: [Google]
0RZzjaE.jpg
614KB, 1500x1010px
>be walking in the woods
>see a Titanoboa

what do?
>>
>>2117665
Gingerly touch it with one finger like the kid is doing there probably.
>>
File: Clementine-.png (495KB, 677x434px) Image search: [Google]
Clementine-.png
495KB, 677x434px
I'd like to thank /an/ for helping me raise my geck for as long as she lived. For help with all the tips and suggestions.
Sadly she died of Liver disease/Colon Cancer. Doctor said it was just bad genetics and a lack of quality control, he said i could have kept her alive longer but she would have been suffering.

Good Night Gecko
>>
>>2117685
Holy shit that gecko was a fat.
>>
>>2117693
Tumors, she barely ate because of her lymph node inflamation and tumors around her liver. Notice how her tail is real skinny, she used to be much bigger before and was all around healthier looking.
>>
>>2117695
That makes sense, sorry for your loss. Leopard geckos are awesome.

Will you be getting another one? Not as like a replacement, but another to form a bond with.
>>
>>2117698
Im thinking about getting a gecko later on the road, they are such a joy to have around.
But my vet told me to stay away from the little guys because there seems to be a genetic issue going around due to mass breeding. (like dogs and how they have specific diseases to a breed)
He also says a bunch of chameleons have been coming in sick as well. So it's kinda tough to figure it all out.
>>
>>2117702
Even from reputable breeders? I bought my Leo from Ron Tremper and have zero problems.
>>
>>2117706
I think it might be a local thing, and they think it maybe because some local breeders get a pricey gecko from a reputable breeder and mix it with a pet-shop one.

I understand that a good breeder will always have healthy animals, it's just one of those weird cases. That's why I'm gonna get a well started gecko or whatever animal comes along(1yr.) from a reputable breeder next time.
>>
File: CUTE GECKO BABU.jpg (115KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CUTE GECKO BABU.jpg
115KB, 900x1200px
Rate my gecko
She's 7 months old
>>
what substrate is best for a uromastyx?
>>
>>2117725
Either sand mats, sand (mst be washed), or even ground walnut
>>
>>2117725
they actually sell a millet based substrate that mimics sand and its actually safe for them to graze on
>>
>>2117711
why is it so flat on top
>>
>>2117284
I'm not sure a 10 gallon will last a year, but I'm also not sure how big kings are at a year. I'd try not to keep a snake over 2.5' in one, there just isn't much room to allow for a thermogradient for a snake of that size in a tank that small. Plus, Length+Width only allows for a 2.5' snake anyways.
>>
>>2115459
Nuaww my gf and i have a male and female hognose that we're wanting to breed soon.
>>
>>2117628
Do those ever get imported to the us?
>>
File: 14234324621345.jpg (152KB, 1033x798px) Image search: [Google]
14234324621345.jpg
152KB, 1033x798px
>tegu lizard sitting on the windowsill enjoying the view
>suddenly starts spazzing out for no reason
>jumps off and runs into a little hiding corner
>>
>>2117711
Cute/10
>>
>>2117628

What do snake owners do when their snakes get too big?

If they had the chance would the snake eat their owners at a bigger size?
>>
>>2117926
No
>>
Recently got a kingsnake and it rarely leaves the rock hide in its tank. Is that normal?
>>
Could I convert a fishtank into a terrarium of sorts for small reptiles or tarantulas/frogs etc. Its not the stereotypical round open top one but a smallish one used to tropical fish
>>
Take care of your pets
>>
>>2117826
A bird or something must have spooked it. Tegu in the wild are probably hunted by everything for a good portion of their life.
>>
Any advice on a herp suitable for a 10yr old? Condition would be that it can be fed pellets and doesnt grow too large and of course isn't too sensitive.

Is there any besides the Crested Gecko?

Thanks again in advance.
>>
>>2117953
It would be fine for invertabrates but I'm not so sure for herps. How many gallons is it?
>>
>>2117977
newfag question but herps?
Not sure on gallons but id say 45cm x 20cm x 45cm
>>
>>2117982
Herpetology is the branch of zoology which studies reptiles and amphibians. So herps is just rept and amph. Your tank should be big enough for a small frog or lizard but be sure to tell us which exactly.
>>
>>2117985
It probably wont happen any time soon if at all. My dad has turtles and fish but hes getting rid of the turtles and putting the fish in their tank. Considering putting something like a gecko into it
>>
>>2117952

Normal. It takes a while for new snakes to settle in. Your snek likely is coming out, it's just waiting for the lights to be off and for you to go to bed.

>>2117974

I don't think crested gecko is suitable for 10 year old. They are challenging to handle correctly (if you're inexperienced) and keeping humidity in the right range is an adult responsibility.

Fresh water fish? Couple gerbils? In any case the care responsibility will be yours, not the kid's.
>>
File: DSC_2052_crop.jpg (2MB, 3521x2490px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2052_crop.jpg
2MB, 3521x2490px
Cute pic of my geckos
>>
>>2118076
Ya. Up a bit later and noticed he's coming out.
Another quick question. Twice tonight I've seen him go crazy around the tank and seemingly rubbing his head against everything. Is it just an itch or something else
>>
>>2118145

comfy
>>
>>2118176

that could be him testing the security of the tank (kings are master escape artists) or maybe he's about to go in to shed. my bet is the first one.
>>
Hey /herp/, I'm a tarantula guy thinking of getting into snakes. I've seen some images of people chilling out watching tv or whatever with smaller green snakes. Can anyone tell me what those are? I cant really find an image that matches my memory, sorry.

A similar question, what kind of snakes have really docile personalities and generally don't give any fucks? Thanks guise
>>
>>2118197

corns and ball pythons are the most passive. corns move around constantly, balls just sit still most of the time. smallish green snakes would probably be sub-adult green tree pythons; those aren't particularly relaxed though, can be a bit snippy.
>>
>>2118213

another green possibility common to pet trade is Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus).
>>
snek
>>
>>2118213
>>2118220
Awesome, thanks. Hopefully when I get settled in from the move I can grab my first snek. Cheers
>>
>>2117818
There's plenty of captive breeding programs in the US, so you can definitely get a US-born Bredli. I'm not sure if there are current importation programs, though.

>>2117926
Define "too big." For some people that's 3', some it's 6', some it's 13'. For me, I do not currently own a snake that is too big, and I don't plan on owning a snake that I know will be too big.

From what I've seen, most people just rehome them.
>>
>>2118241

Would snakes reach 5 feet in length?
>>
>>2118274

Depends on the species and often also depends on the sex of the snake. In many snake species there is significant difference between the average adult male and average adult female, with males usually being the smaller. Always do plenty of research on desired species to see if its average and potential adult length is in line with what you had in mind for size.

Also, length isn't really the only consideration on snake size. You can have 4 foot long snakes that are very thick and heavy and strong too. Likewise you can have a seven foot snake that is slender and light. Penis jokes. So again species dependent. Also penis jokes.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I found this outside
>>
>>2118384
Coral snek.
>>
>>2118384
Nice! Looks to be in very good condition and health for a wild one.
>>
my whites tree frogs are making some sort of clicking noise, is something wrong?
>>
>>2118384

Uh, you do know that snake is venomous, right anon? Red to yellow kills the man.
>>
>>2118399
Possibly a respiratory infection.

Hold up your frogs to your ear in absolute quite and listen to them breathing, if the sound is more apparent, then yeah it's likely a respiratory infection and you'll want to see a vet for anti-biotics.
>>
>>2118384
well thats a coral snake and unless you have experience with hots, I suggest you put it back outside before you do soemthing stupid and get bit and need a trip to a hospital
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2118404
I held him up to my ear and haven't heard it since so I'm not sure. But if they start doing it again I'll do just that. To add on he's also got these lumpies on his side and they have a Texture to them but I did just finish feeding him mealworms and stuff so could these just be them in his gut? I don't anything about frog anatomy.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Id?
>>
>>2118403
That rhyme isn't correct.

>>2118407
I'm the guy who posts all the Cobras. I was seeing if anyone even knew what it was
>>
>>2118435
oh you
is it yours then? or did you really find one?
>>
>>2118441
It's mine
>>
>>2118396
It's not wild. I like messing with people
>>
File: sleepy green man.png (1MB, 595x1060px) Image search: [Google]
sleepy green man.png
1MB, 595x1060px
is there a greater joy on this earth than being grabbed by your cham's gribbity grabbers
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 267x189px
Quick question for /herp/:

I have a 4 y/o Beardie. In these longer summer months should I lengthen my daylight timer to fit natural sunset/sunrise times? The care sheets I've seen all recommend eight hours, but that seems very short.

Thanks for the help!
>>
>tegu shakes all meat as if it was alive spraying it everywhere, whether it's minced meat, fish fillets or dead whole prey.

pls lizard
>>
>>2118524
>BP squeeze dead mice till they burst.
Snek pls
>>
Do sneks seriously do this everyday? Thats fucking nasty.

http://i.4cdn.org/gif/1462751093945.webm
>>
File: 20160509_125516.jpg (3MB, 2463x1955px) Image search: [Google]
20160509_125516.jpg
3MB, 2463x1955px
>>2118524
>tiger salamander insists on shaking the calcium powder off of dead crickets

froglizard pls

Anybody else have any salamanders or newts or anything? I've had this guy for only 3 days now and he's already one of my favorite herps
>>
>>2118608

No, usually once or twice per meal, which is once a week to two weeks. Also very rarely that much liquid. An absorbent substrate, like shredded aspen, will neutralize the majority of the odor quickly. Clean up with scoop like you do with cat litter.
>>
>>2118523

Yes you can go up to 12 hour light period in summer.
>>
>>2118608
no its more like a once per week-2 weeks kinda thing
depends on meal size, also thats a lot of liquid

but now I know what that sound was coming from my tank
>>
>>2118274
5' is an extremely common potential length for a snake. There are a decent amount snakes that will stay far below that, too. I'd consider a 5' snake a small snake, even a heavy-bodied snake like a boa constrictor or Burmese python, 5' isn't very impressive.

>>2118608
Every day? Most don't. Boids like that reticulated python poop anywhere from once a week to once every 6+ months (blood pythons, yo). Colubrids like garter snakes? Yeah they poop every day but it's nothing like that.

Pooping every meal is not a guarantee by any means. Quite a few species are well-known for holding onto several meals before defecating.

>>2118672
It's a retic, they piss gallons of the stuff.
>>
I like the way emerald swifts look. I don't mind a lizard that's primarily something to watch. What are some other interesting lizards to watch not handle?
>>
>>2118798
spiderman agamas probably fall into that category
>>
Hi there, /herp/.

I come from /aq/ seeking help. Is anyone familiar with paludariums? I've thought about creating a fairly small one, around 10~ gallons or so. What could I house in there?
>>
File: 0509162032b.jpg (729KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
0509162032b.jpg
729KB, 2240x1344px
Does my dargon's lower jaw look swollen or is she just growing? She's about to start shedding if that means anything
>>
>>2118849
potatoes take better quality pictures than whatever the fuck you're using
>>
File: 1459926389418.png (23KB, 267x233px) Image search: [Google]
1459926389418.png
23KB, 267x233px
>>2118608
Goddamn
>>
You might find these guys interesting.
They're Colombian rainbow boas, both het. Leucistic, that were born without eyes.

They will not be bred.
>>
Your right, they are interesting
Are they yours?
do they need help finding their food?
>>
>>2118968
meant for >>2118968 obviously
>>
>>2118982
They are mine, yes. A gift from a friend.
They're bloody accurate, actually.
Their prey just has to be sufficiently warm, as you might imagine.
>>
File: turt.jpg (328KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
turt.jpg
328KB, 816x612px
So my turt had this shiny, whitish patch on her shell for about a year or so fearing it was shell rot. (she was sadly kept in a 36 gallon tank for years when this developed. She now lives in a much better maintained 90 gal) The patch is soft when she's wet but when she gets out to bask, the spots become solid as the rest of her shell and nearly invisible when dry. I managed to take her to a vet and the doc claimed it was a result of retaining scutes as opposed to some kind of fungus or bacterial problem. (there seems to be solid shell underneath the soft patches)
Sounds odd to me but anyone ever had any similar experience like this?
And if sound, what kind of remedies can help her shed beyond clean water and plenty of basking and UVB? (doc also advised I take a vegetable brush to gently scrub off any loose ones)
>>
>>2118997

Nope, never encountered that before. Your vet seems to know what's going on though.
>>
>>2118816
in ten gallons? not a lot
I'd up it to like 20 then you could comfortably fit your aquatics and an anole or small arboreal gecko or treefrog or two
>>
Seeing Reptiles out of their enclosures exploring rooms is so neat.
>>
File: image.jpg (111KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111KB, 720x540px
Can anyone tell me what kind of bp morph this is?
>>
File: 001.jpg (101KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
101KB, 800x600px
>>2119324
Looks like pastave highway.
>>
>>2119354
Thanks
>>
Thinking about adopting a herp. Specifically a leopard gecko.

Recommendations for warmth/lighting?
>>
>>2119397
No lighting. A light would make the leo hide all of them time and would stress it out. In addition their eyes are sensitive to light as they are nocturnal.

That being said, use a undertank heat mat. Leos absorb heat through their belly. This is how they digest their food.
>>
>>2119397

under tank heater controlled by thermostat, tile for substrate, no additional light needed so long as the room they are kept in has a window (do not put tank in line of direct sunlight). Recommend you put a pieces of paper towel on the spot your future gecko chooses for bathroom duties to make cleaning easier. Leos almost always pick one spot, usually in a corner, to use and rarely if ever change it during their life time.
>>
So my leopard gecko keeps having not so great sheds.

I'm the guy who was concerned with the stuck shed remaining on his belly after multiple sheds.

In addition to having stuck shed on his lower belly each time, he always has stuck shed on multiple toes which I have to assist with.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

I have a moist hide in his tank at all times, 8 sheets of bounty paper towels, re-wet the day he wants to shed. He always spends the entire day in the moist hide before he sheds, so he's getting moistened up well enough.

Should I buy a humidity meter? I know if it's too humid they feel like they cannot breath, but I'm pretty sure the humidity fluctuates between 20-30% (I had borrowed one from a friend for a week months ago.)

Every time he sheds it comes off in peices any not large chunks or whole like other geckos.

He's 3 years old. Maybe the instances I'm reading about were just very good/lucky sheds.
>>
Story time regarding my Pixie frog, Vorax.

>buy him online, cb 5 inches snout to vent at the time
>find out they have the address wrong at 1:30 AM day of his delivery
>tell them to hold at FedEx hub
>drive an hour to get him
>hear thumping and bumping in this package
>get home
>slowly open package due to knowing their capacity for aggression
>pop goes the bullfrog
>packing peanuts everywhere
>mini heart attack
>realize he is in a ventilated bag
>he was strong enough to expel the contents of the box and force the lid wide open enough to convince me he was loose inside
>take him out of the bag in terrarium and he digs down a little and chills out

And he is doing fine to this day. Not nearly as aggressive as people make them out to be. At least not this one thankfully. He does try to hop a lot when I transfer him out of terrarium. Anyone else keep pixie or pacman frogs?
>>
>>2119433

Your gecko may just have thin skin. Recommend moving moist hide to hot side if it isn't already to encourage him to use it more often. 20%-30% RH is fine for leos outside of the moist hide. They are prone to respiratory infection if the ambient goes above 50% for any length of time.
>>
>>2119447

Ha! Cute. I always expect my new pets to beeline it out of their deli cup or bag when i open shipping boxes but it has never happened for me. Crickets on the other hand... well,have learned to put the deli cup/bag in a larger bag, then stick my hands in and open it. :p
>>
>>2119398
>>2119418
Thank you guys.
I might have gotten mixed up with different species. Maybe not.
>>
>>2119458

post picture of desired gecko?
>>
anyone here have toads?
its spring and my yard is full of dozens of freshly metamorphosed toadlets
thinking about raising one of them
>>
>>2119455
I'll probably take more precautions if I ever get around to keeping something truly dangerous. Worst thing I have currently are fire leg millipedes but I never directly handle them. Not wanting to be that guy who finds out he's sensitive to their irritants.
>>
File: leopard-gecko-right-logo.jpg (22KB, 305x186px) Image search: [Google]
leopard-gecko-right-logo.jpg
22KB, 305x186px
>>2119461
Leopard gecko
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3059px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3059px
Protecting the goods
>>
>want to get herp
>realize my room is cold as fuck at night
>don't know whether to wait until I move

Not sure if heating would be enough for herp
>>
>>2119733
a good ceramic heat emitter and a thermostat should be able to handle it, unless you live in like alaska or someshit
>>
File: 20160511_015644.jpg (2MB, 2215x1721px) Image search: [Google]
20160511_015644.jpg
2MB, 2215x1721px
>>2119466
I have a pet toad, his name is Nubbins. I found him at work and took him home to keep because he just has a nub at the end of his right foot, looks like it was completely cut off at some point or something. He was pretty thin when I found him but now he's a fat bastard

He's a fun easy pet but is still a very shy eater. I don't know if I'd try raising toadlets unless you have access to a fruit fly colony and lots of patience. On the other hand, if you can successfully rear one to adulthood, it'll almost definitely be more tame and easier to feed. Nubbins was an adult when I found him

Here he is chilling in his new lil pot hide
>>
>>2119746
local petco does sell jars of fruitflies
so I don't think a source would be an issue
its tempting but first I'd have to make space for another ten gallon somewhere
>>
I need to buy a thermostat for a UTH. Any suggestions? I'd prefer one that gives exact temperature instead of color gradient if possible.
>>
>>2119756
This one is pretty good and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-ETL-Certified-Thermostat-Germination-Reptiles/dp/B000NZZG3S?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
>>
File: IMG_0125.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0125.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Two weeks in and she's the sweetest hog I've ever handled; nay a hiss or playing dead when I mess with her.

She's really inquisitive too.

Bravo, Steve Sykes. I'll keep getting snoots from you.
>>
>>2119756
http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads

Not thermostats, but higher quality UTHs that don't need thermostats, if you're rocking the crappy, sticky pad UTHs.
>>
>>2118476
Want a Jackson so bas but the set up is so expensive fuuuu
>>
>>2119734
This, and also insulate three sides and bottom of tank with foam core board.
>>
>>2119734
Canada, Alaska. Same thing.

>>2119841
Good idea
>>
>>2118608
Ughhh I wanted a snake but I'm not so sure anymore
>>
>tfw the only place around me that sells snake food is petsmart
>>
>>2120047
Petsmart is based af though?
>>
Do reptiles have a sense of touch through the scales?
>>
>>2120100
nope
they feel through their scales the same way with your hair.
you can tell something is touching you, but thats about it
>>
>>2115775
Reptiles are not capable of feelings or affection, even if the guy looks at you from his tank when you walk into the room it doesn't mean shit, it simply connects you to the possibility of being fed. If you want a personal relationship with a pet you have to choose a dog or a cat.
>>
>>2118997
Do you provide a various diet for your turt? Do you feed him something for extra calcium (i.e. squid bones?)
>>
File: 123124525234.gif (74KB, 278x340px) Image search: [Google]
123124525234.gif
74KB, 278x340px
>>2120104
>personal relationship
>dog or a cat
>>
>>2120106
she does have the staple being the pellets, however she does get various greens like lettuce and radish greens frequently (sometimes the leaves of dandelions too). Also the occasional treats like watermelon, cantaloupe, papaya, and recently taking a liking to sweet potato, which I heard is good for shedding.

I haven't given her a cuttle bone as often as she should, so I'm providing one now
>>
>>2120047
I work at petsmart and our f/t is overpriced like $4 a mouse and we dont sell live feeders.

much better to buy online in bulk
>>
>>2120047
I got lucky, I have a local shop that sells me pre-killed rats for approximately the price as I would get on bulk ordering
>>
>>2120173
Everything at petsmart is overpriced, I don't know why people shop there. It's all marked up and it only goes down to normal price during "sales". I only go there when I either can't find it at Petco or if I can't find it at a local shop.
>>
>>2120173
>check prices
>50 pinkies for 10$
Holy shit
>50$ shipping
fug

Still thats like, 4 months worth of kingsnek food but I'm pretty sure in 4 months he'd outgrow them...
>>
How sensitive are reptiles to sound? I want to pick up either a snake or a beardie at the reptile show thats coming around here but I'm worried how they will fare since I will be taking it home in my motorcycles saddlebags. It's not a shitty Harley so it's not ear shatteringly loud but it's about equivalent to a two cylinder car engine.
>>
>>2115342
His face just screams, "This is nice. I'm enjoying this."
>>
>Local exoctic pet shop has loads of reptiles
>Extremely poisonous snakes kept on display for "muh wow factor"
>Entire place reeks of unclean cages and there's some dead lizards
>Selling reptile to every ten year old who cries to mommy

So glad the owner got BTFO for her part in the illegal trade of stolen birds.
>>
>>2120253
I bought a pack of 50 small mice from perfect prey for $48 counting the shipping. Where do you live anon.
>>
File: 1409626923791.jpg (11KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1409626923791.jpg
11KB, 251x242px
Why is it that a snake native to my state costs 50$ as a hatchling yet one from another continent is 30$?
>>
>>2120393
depends laws or some shit of the species
>>
>>2120393
rarity? availability? supply and demand?
go catch one yourself then
>>
File: image.jpg (249KB, 842x1122px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
249KB, 842x1122px
Curious geck

>In a cardboard box while I cleaned his tank
>>
fucking ball pythons
>mini hunger strike didn't for a month
>eats like she's starving two weeks in a row
>won't even look at the rat tonight

it wouldn't bother me so much if she was full grown. but she's almost a year and a half and barely weight 400g
>>
>>2120256
That would probably stress it out. Is there a way to make a sound proof box?
>>
>>2120423

Take a cab?
>>
>>2119815
All UTHs require thermostats, even those. The thermostats in those pads are incredibly unreliable and fail all the time. You really should have a thermostat on it. There's not excuse not to when you can get a Hydrofarm for $30 on Amazon.

>>2120047
Buy food online from Big Cheese, they almost always have $29 flat rate shipping, and you can get 6 months to a year's worth of food for next to nothing compared to a pet store. And their quality is way better than that shitty Arctic Mice brand.

Even if you have one snake, you're paying 1/3-1/2 as much as you're paying now if you buy from them. You do have to put out more money at once, but you won't have to buy any more food for a long time. My stashes usually last 8 months unless I need to move a snake up a size.

Other websites like Layne Labs or Perfect Prey, etc. usually do not have flat rate shipping. If you need to save money, buy from Big Cheese because you'll be paying less in shipping. I live in NC, so I'm paying less than half in shipping than I would buying from LL (haven't bought from Perfect Prey yet so idk about them).

>>2120420
Maybe try offering smaller prey items? I've found ball pythons go on strikes if they're fed too much, and if the food strikes are only lasting a month or less, this may be what's causing it.

Feed 10-15% of weight every 7 days, or something roughly 1-1.5x girth (the girth method is less food than the weight method but imo the better choice). It should leave a small bulge once swallowed.

When she hits 500 grams, she should be ready for small rats, and she'll be able to stay on smalls the rest of her life.
>>
>>2120437
I've recently actually switched to smaller rats because I figured that was the cause of her first strike.
she's just being prissy
She didnt take it at first because she was on her climbing rock and was soaking up some extra heat from my CHE i guess.
She went into her favorite hide and then started to show some interest. She still didn't take it but she was interested anyway
>>
>>2120432
Cab would be insanely expensive m8, it would completely negate the savings I'd make going to the expo, not to mention the price of admission and then the trip back.

Sigh, guess I'm just getting my snek from Petsmart. Will prob still hit up the expo to get some cheap heating stuff though.
>>
Does anyone feed their BPs during day or is evening the best time for feeding? And how do you guys thaw a frozen adult sized mouse?
>>
File: image.jpg (197KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 720x960px
Reptiles are fun
>>
Herping> keeping herps
>>
>>2118622
I have 3 frogs but would love one of them, especially in axolotl stage.
>>
>>2120468
>those shorts
>those socks
>shoes indoors

kys m80
>>
>>2120468
do you have a fucking pet godzilla
>>
>>2120546
I'd say either multple sneks, food for a growing snek, lizards and sneks, or a fucking crocodile
>>
>>2120461
I feed mine in the evening around 8:00-10:00pm when he starts getting active

I put my rats into a ziploc bag then put it in a cup of water sitting next to my radiator and turn it on for half an hour.
any particular reason your feeding mice instead of rats though?
>>
>>2120527
I'm at home. Fuck off

>>2120546
Eggs are hatching. 70 other snakes. 8 lizards
>>
>>2120114
Does it gets enough sunlight?
>>
>>2120112
They do become attached to their owner, shithead. A reptile obviously would never do that since their brain is completely different.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 540x960px
>>2120566
I do have one of these though
>>
>>2120660
beyond a UVB light, which is fairly recent of an addition, not really. Occasionally on nice summer days, I let her wander the backyard
>>
>>2120671
what a qt
what kind of tank do you keep it in?
>>
can you nerds determine which lizard species this is? http://www.petango.com/webservices/adoptablesearch/wsAdoptableAnimalDetails.aspx?id=30635811&css=http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/wp-content/themes/blackbaud-bootstrap-calgary-humane-society/petango.css&PopUp=true

description doesnt say much
>>
200gallon
>>
>>2120693
Check if the UVB light is close to the turtle at the right distance. However keep its diet various, or search if there are some vitamins you can give it at your pet shop.
>>
>>2120662
>attached to their owner

They become "attached" to whoever gives them food. Just like any other animal.
>>
>>2114916
i have that snek
>>
>>2118608
my king snek does that once a week, but its tiny and my coconut fibre substrate deoderizes it instantly, also when i clean i grab a handful of substrate because the urin soaks a bit into the surranding area
>>
>>2118608
>mfw it gets worse every time I watch it
>watch it with sound
EWWWWWWW
Just imagine the massive cottage cheese shits an anaconda must take after it eats a small deer
>>
>>2120527
>he doesnt have indoor slippers
>>
>>2120776
Much obliged. Just found out she loves the shit out of red leaf lettuce so I'm gonna invest in some more of that. I've also extended her basking platform a tad closer to the light
>>
>>2120671
Caiman? I think you're crazy but I like it. I indulge the notion of one day getting an alligator and building a huge outdoor pond enclosure for him, but I think it'll eventually just pan out to be a really bad idea

cute crocodilian tho
>>
>>2121053
just move to FL my man. you can enjoy their company and not have to be responsible for what they get up to. i live by a river and see em all the time

just don't go near the water at night and you'll be fine
>>
I'm moving across the US and have to ship my leopard gecko. I'm really nervous about it and want to make sure my buddy is as safe as possible.

Anybody with tips and suggestions on how to package my pet and who to go through would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Shipyourreptiles.com. They have detailed instructions on packing procedure and can provide you a kit with everything needed. I've used them a number of times with good results. Do recommend.
>>
>>2121138
Thank you, they seem pretty thorough. I'll have to keep checking their site out.

When it says overnight priority shipping , in your experience, exactly how long after shipping out can I expect my gecko to arrive at the destination? I plan on flying myself out the same day. I don't want to miss the delivery and I want to have everything set up in time for when he gets there.
>>
>>2118433
That would be a snek, my friend.
>>
>>2121169

Usually the following morning if flight isn't delayed. You can request that parcel be held for pickup at FedEx facility instead of directly delivered. The shipyour reptiles FAQ has a section on that.
>>
File: 20160327_070104.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160327_070104.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2115516
Mine has orange on her beard. Imagine the shit I had believing it to be yellow fungus.
>>
>>2121357
is that a heat rock you uneducated fuck?
>>
>>2118433
Completely uneducated guess is blackheaded python.
>>
>>2121364
n-no
>>
>>2121357
that snake is way too fat
>>
>>2121357
>heat rock
>why is my snek cooked guys?
>>
Is there site or something that show how different morphs of leopard geckos look when they are young?
>>
File: 1435865871257.jpg (20KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1435865871257.jpg
20KB, 258x245px
>>2121357
>heat rock
ahHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
>>
New Thread: >>2121461
>>
>>2121453

At young age -under 6 months- the morphs are not very distinct so there isn't really much to see as the morph traits come out much more prominently as they age. That's why all the leo morph guide websites mostly just use adults in the pictures.
>>
>>2121465
So when I choose young one it's pretty much random?
>>
>>2121468

Oh, no I didn't mean to imply that. There are indications; eye colour, presence or lack of black pigment, general skin colour. If you buy a leopard gecko from a reputable breeder they will know the genetics of the animal and can tell you exactly what it is and know what it will look like as an adult.

I do recommend you buy from a breeder. Pet store leos... sometimes there aren't very healthy. The mass producers pet stores get their supply from are not careful about maintaining healthy breeding stock. I'm referring to chain pet stores here. If you find a good specialty reptile shop, those are often much better and source their animals from responsible breeders.
>>
>>2121477
Yeah I'm going to buy from breeder but when sends me pictures I would like to have general idea like oh it's gonna be super mack snow or w/e
Thread posts: 303
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.