[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it healthy to feed fruits to your pet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

File: 1456187796874.jpg (148KB, 960x731px) Image search: [Google]
1456187796874.jpg
148KB, 960x731px
Is it healthy to feed fruits to your pet?
>>
>>2099293
if you have a cat, feed it meat/cat food you dingus

if you have a dog, feed it dog food

if you have a wolf feed it manlets
>>
>>2099294

But what if you have manlets?
>>
>>2099295

fruits
>>
>>2099295
Feed them creatine
>>
It depends on the pet ya dingus dongus.
Wolves/dogs are carnivores if that answers your question.
>>
>>2099379
Wolves yes.
Dogs are omnivores with meat preference.
They evolved alongside humans and had to adapt to eating our food.
My uncle keeps a huge st. Bernards dog and she mostly eats meat/veggie stew with rice.
>>
>>2099295
soylent
>>
I give my dog berries and sometimes apple and banana.

My rats get tons of fruit since they're more omnivorous than the dog. They eat a bit of everything I eat.
>>
why would you feed yourself to your pet op?
>>
>>2099399
dogs and wolves are the same species
>>
>>2099429
kek
>>
My dog loves pineapple and oranges despite dogs normally hating citrus
>>
>>2099429
Lel
>>
>>2099429
Yeah just like chimps and gorillas are
>>
>>2099567
>>2099638
>>2099741

are they not capable of mating and producing healthy offspring?
>>
>>2099294
>if you have a dog, feed it dog food

the good dog food has shit like blueberries and sweet potatoes in it

OP dogs fuck wit blueberries and strawberries. I don't think watermelon is a good idea though. Def no citrus.
>>
>>2099399
Dogs are facultative carnivores, which is quite different from a true omnivore.
>>
>>2099379

Canids are mesocarnivores and do eat plant matter even in the wild, so it's not as simple as "they're carnivores and carnivores are meat-eaters because that's what I was told in school". However, fruit is sugary so should only be fed as a treat, and vegetables are preferable if your dog likes them.
>>
File: vegetarian2.jpg (133KB, 340x407px) Image search: [Google]
vegetarian2.jpg
133KB, 340x407px
The other day, I sat in the garden and watched my dog delicately picking the blueberries off the bush growing in the vegetable patch. He went slowly about this business, selecting the ripe ones and leaving the unripe ones on the bush, and he did not harm either the leaves or the stems of the plant.

It was like being privy to some sort of incredibly graceful act.

Of course, this is the same dog that I have witnessed crunch up a chicken back and vomit up then re-eat brisket.

As long as the fruit are safe, and in moderation, it should be all right. But too much fruit might cause gastrointestinal upset, and certain fruits can make dogs very sick. Grapes, and by extension raisins, can cause renal failure. Avocados can cause vomiting. Most stone fruit should be avoided in case the stones are ingested, and apples and pears should be given without the cores. Tomatoes are usually too acidic for dogs. Melon should be given without the rind to reduce choking hazard. Pomegranates are toxic.

Safe fruit(remembering to take precaution depending on the fruit in question) include: apple, pear, banana, strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, blackberries, raspberries, watermelon, and pineapple.

Things to remember are toxic or unsafe to dogs other than chocolate and grapes: garlic, onions, macadamia nuts (though all nuts bar peanuts should generally be avoided), things containing the sweetener xylitol, and cooked bones.

Safe vegetables include legumes(peas, chickpeas, beans), potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn(some dogs cannot digest grain, however), carrot, pumpkin, spinash, lettuce, and brassiccas (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage)

There is some evidence that feeding dogs on kibble-only diets an amount of fresh leafy green or orange-yellow vegetables 3 times a week in addition to their kibble can help reduce certain kinds of cancer.

However, dogs are carnivores, even if they have some ability and desire to eat items that are not animal products.
>>
>>2099769
So while they can eat a variety of other things, dogs should always have a diet with meat as the largest contribution. And while there is some indication for other foods, they are all in moderation. Most fruit and vegetables just provide sugars (either as natural sugar or converted carbohydrate) that your dog should not need on a good high-protein diet, or else provide little dietary value except as fibre.
>>
>>2099293

>yfw OP said "pets" and not just "dogs"
>>
>>2099769
>>2099770
Quality post and true story
>>
>>2099769
No pineapple or strawberries, theyre citrus.
>>
My dog will do anything for a raspberry but they give him the shits.

He also likes to eat apples, but only after I've bitten off pieces and fed them to him. He won't do anything with a slice or a whole apple.

He can't figure out how to eat orange slices so he'll hold them in his mouth and cry.

He once took a bite out of my peach when I wasn't looking.

Fruit is okay for dogs as a very small treat, but generally the sugar content is too high for it to be healthy in moderate to high amounts. The only exception I'll make for this is in the summer, when I'll give him his own slice of chilled watermelon.
>>
>>2099806
I'm not sure you know what citrus is, and even then, actual citrus like oranges and mandarins are okay for dogs in moderation, if they like eating them. Neither of mine have ever shown an inclination for oranges, however.
>>
>>2099567
>>2099638
>>2099741
That anon was right. Dogs and gray wolves are the same species.
>>
Green beans are good to fill up huge dogs who eat a shit ton of food. Fiber in general.
>>
File: 1457685885562.jpg (147KB, 500x730px) Image search: [Google]
1457685885562.jpg
147KB, 500x730px
>>2099293
my dog doesn't really like fruit
he loves vegetables though
>>
>>2099293
was that photoshoped?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr_4ud8j5-I

very relax
>>
>>2099429
>>2099567
>>2099753
Anon is right

Canis lupus familiaris

vs

Canis lupus lupus

different subspecies, but entirely capable of interbreeding
>>
>>2099754
I feed dog kibble and supplement with fresh food. Dogs can live on just kibble but fresh food can be very beneficial.
>>
>>2099811
>He can't figure out how to eat orange slices so he'll hold them in his mouth and cry.
that's adorable
>>
>>2099769
I had a shepard that would constant snack on the beans growing in my garden. Had to worry more about her eating them all than the squirrels.
>>
>>2099294
OP isn't talking about putting their pet on a vegan diet, just giving their pets fruit occasionally

I used to have a cat that loved watermelon for some reason, and I currently have a cat that sits in front of the fridge and meows for lettuce. There are some fruits and vegetables that are poisonous to animals (I know you shouldn't feed cats and dogs grapes or olives for example) but if you look up what you're giving them to make sure it's safe, there's nothing wrong with giving them some once and a while
>>
Be careful with tomatoes if you do fees your animals them. Make sure they are nice and red and DO NOT eat the leaves or vine or inripened they are poisonus. The tomatoe being part of the nightshade family.
>>
>>2099763
>facultative carnivores
tell me more about what this means anon, never heard this term before, I'm interested.
>>
>>2100954
nope not a photoshop just a wolf eating a melon.

Apparently Water Melons are fine and a good way for doggos to keep cool in the summer
>>
Depends on the dogbreed.
Some do better with non-meat than others.

In wild dogs/wolves are carnivores/oppertunistic omnivores
They thrive on meat but can survive through other means
>>
>>2099294
>if you have a dog, feed it dog food
I've been feeding my doge a mixture of rice, chicken, broth and mixed veggies for a month now, and I've noticed his general health is just better.
>Smaller, more consistent shits
>His cauliflower ears don't bug him as much
>Not itchy all the time
>More energetic
I save a lot of money just throwing all that in a pot and freezing it too.

You guys should consider it.
>>
>>2099379
Then again, I've heard about horses that were fed fish and meat, and there's a video on youtube that shows a horse eating a chick.
>>
>>2099811
>He can't figure out how to eat orange slices so he'll hold them in his mouth and cry.
That mental image is beautiful. You mean orange slices as in already peeled ones?
>>
>>2099769
Dogs are omnivores.
>>
Man late pooch (he made it to 15) used to crave a piece of banana.

He could be asleep and you're in the other room peeling one and next thing you know, he's right next to you in a perfect sit, Sheperd ears at full attention.

I miss him :(
>>
File: inwsh.png (606KB, 1246x574px) Image search: [Google]
inwsh.png
606KB, 1246x574px
>>
My dog is a gigantic faggot for watermelon. If you so much as open up one of those tubs of watermelon cubes within earshot he won't rest until you've given him a piece. It's probably because it's a sweet fruit, but not overly so, and it's also easy for him to eat.

Still, it's pretty great whenever I'm trying to chill out on the front steps with some watermelon and he just wails on my back until I give in.
>>
>>2105151
I applaud you if you got the recipe from a Clinical Nutritionist. If not, please consult one ASAP, a few slight tweaks would prevent catastrophic deficiencies. Unfortunately it can take many years for a nutritional deficiency to become apparent, and sometimes by that point it's irreversible.
>>
>>2105171
Not at all. Compare their physiology to that of an omnivore like a grizzly bear.
>>
>>2106883
not a great comparison since dogs have anywhere from 2-11 times the number of genes for digesting starch that bears do.
>>
>>2106884
No, you mean wolves.
>>
>>2106915
both.
bears have on average the same number of amylase genes as wolves do. Not exactly a ton of starches for them to eat in the woods.
>>
>>2106918
This is completely false, bears even produce salivary amylase
>>
>>2106922
>bears even produce salivary amylase
so do wolves and dogs.
>>
>>2106923
No they do not, in dogs and wolves amylase production is limited only to the pancreas
>>
>>2106924
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0003996963900761

if that one doesn't do it for you, google scholar has a handful more.
>>
>>2106924
this one found salivary amylase activity in dogs almost as vigorous as that in humans:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01230687
>>
>>2099769
>broccoli
You can get a dog sick (but probably not deathly ill or anything) with too much broccoli. My dog goes fucking nuts for broccoli for whatever reason. One time he managed to eat way too much for his size after ripping open a bag of it that my mom left on the floor, puked green on the kitchen floor, and then had diarrhea for a few days.
>>
>>2106926
>>2106928
No.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC330360/pdf/nar00188-0321.pdf
>>
>>2106933
Broccoli gives my dog the worst farts in history. They're fucking noxious.
>>
I have an apple tree in my backyard and every autumn when they fall my dog will eat one when he goes out for a poo.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.