[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breaking: SeaWorld ends orca breeding and shows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (100KB, 640x364px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 640x364px
Thoughts? Comments? What does this mean for the future of zoos and marine parks?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/seaworld-end-breeding-program-orca-whales-n540646
>>
>>2083397
It means less people will be exposed to whales and ultimately lose interest in them, resulting in no one caring when they go extinct in the wild.
>>
File: B0BozPlCUAAlJ_0[1].jpg (52KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
B0BozPlCUAAlJ_0[1].jpg
52KB, 600x450px
They should be replaced with captive breeding programs for endangered whale species.

Pic related, the vaquita is the most critically endangered cetacean in the world. Captive breeding efforts are desperately needed, and marine parks and zoos are the few places that have the facilities to do so.
>>
The also announced a partnership with the HSUS. They're already trying to stop other dolphin breeding programs. Pretty much any breeding program is a no-go as long as HSUS is involved.
>>
>>2083417
>It means less people will be exposed to whales and ultimately lose interest in them, resulting in no one caring when they go extinct in the wild.

This is the internet generation: if they want to sea whales, then just look for a video in youtube.
>>
I've not worked with any sort of marine mammal, but I hear a lot of talk on how orcas do not do well in captivity.

>>2083426
I agree with this. If a wild animal is being kept and bred in captivity, then focus on the endangered ones and breeding programmes to bring their numbers up.
>>
>>2083397
Heard they are also phasing out whale shows. Curious if the lack of interaction will cause the orcas to go stir crazy and start doing stereotypical behaviors. I mean, they are in an artificial environment with much less stimulation than the wild, they need something to keep their minds occupied. I can understand why people dont like the shows but I think they are better for the whales than swimming in small circles all day.
>>
>>2083426
>Mexico
They're dead.
>>
>>2083446

That is vastly different from seeing them in person.
>>
File: Baiji-Larry-Foster[1].jpg (253KB, 1513x983px) Image search: [Google]
Baiji-Larry-Foster[1].jpg
253KB, 1513x983px
>>2083446
>This is the internet generation: if they want to sea whales, then just look for a video in youtube.

With that attitude video and pictures will be all that's left of whales.

Here's some Baiji, you can see them on youtube because they're extinct now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBtHtF9JlU
>>
>>2083514
>With that attitude video and pictures will be all that's left of whales.

attitude doesn't matter, climate change is going to cause massive algal blooms that will extinct almost all whale species.

all we can do is save their DNA and remake them later, which will be trivial in about 10 years.
>>
>>2083537
>>
>>2083514
>chinks ravaging their way through the environment needlessly over killing in the most callous possible manner and consuming everything in their path like a rabid ant colony

Fucking Chinese need to be whipped off the face of the earth
>>
This makes me so fucking angry. Holy fucking shit the whales were the coolest fucking thing, and then fucking Blackfish hit and now one of the things I loved the most is ruined for everyone. GOD DAMNED FUCKING LIBERAL SHITS

Well good job lib-fucks, you just cancelled one of the best Awareness programs the common people had access to, not to mention destroyed a vehicle to channel a child's wonderment at the grandeur of nature.

The only thing that can make me more angry now is if they remove Dinosaur bones from museums because it offends someone.

Shit like this is what drove me to /pol/
>>
>>2083575
you're the retard from the /tv/ thread who got called a SeaWorld shill, yeah?
>>
>>2083579
No. I am a guy that actually liked taking my kids to see the Sea World orca shows. I am a guy who has had to watch one of the things I grew u loving get completely fucking destroyed because some bitter liberal faggots made a documentary filled with half-truths and out right lies.

I have grown to hate liberals. SO MUCH.
>>
>>2083582
Why do you only appeal to emotion in your argumentation, and more specifically, human emotion? Is it also your belief that that orcas exist just so that you can bring your kids to orca shows?
>>
>>2083582
>No. I am a guy that actually liked taking my kids to see the Sea World orca shows.

then you're a bad person and you're raising bad people.

why would you come here? this board is for people who like animals.
>>
good. They don't belong in fishbowls.
>>
That is rather sad, rather than trying to help the animals become more comfortable within captivity, they'd rather destroy any sort of chance at orca conservation. That is rather awful. I hope we as a species get our shit together, because Seaworld was my first and probably last to ever see an Orca in real life.
>>2083426
If only. They'd have to take these guys from the wild, which would cause animal rights activists to flip the fuck out. Now that they know they can get away with destroying conservation, they won't stop. I can only hope they don't move to zoos now that they've made Seaworld hurt.
>>
Would it be possible to build an 'outdoor' enclosure in a bay or something for keeping cetaceans? Has anyone tried that or is it a horrifically stupid idea?
The idea of trapping them like that is sad and all but man, I dunno.
>>
>>2083618
>sea world is the only organization involved in orca conservation

hilarious

> I can only hope they don't move to zoos now that they've made Seaworld hurt.

zoos should not exist. why are people who hate animals coming to this board?
>>
>>2083514
>rare animal in China
>in China
They were already dead anon
>>
File: 1095367_630x354.jpg (48KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
1095367_630x354.jpg
48KB, 630x354px
>>2083629
Seaworld is not the only, but it's certainly a primary one.

>zoos should not exist. why are people who hate animals coming to this board?
While in a perfect world, zoos would not and should not exist, but so long as humans exist, they'll be needed. Why, because human goals and animal goals do not cohabitate. We need quarries, farms, room for homes, transportation, and numerous other things. We will die, period, without these things. So will the animals though, without that land. Since we're sadly, only human, we will take the land for our own use to survive, because no matter what country, whether it be 3rd world or 1st world, we'll take it to survive. Zoos allow us to preserve the biodiversity of these areas, and maybe, just maybe some of them will make it back out to the wild. How could you say that sort of preservation and effort is hateful? Pic 100% related, Nola the northern white rhino.
>>
>>2083643
I'm honestly not concerned with the ideas of preservation anymore.

Any animal for which we have DNA of at least a handful of individuals = preserved. It will be child's play to resurrect them, in a better world, hopefully with better humans.
>>
>>2083575
>>2083582
ha dude fuck off. Sea World treats these animals horribly.
>>
>>2083426
marine mammals don't do well in captivity

capturing critically endangered ones and making them live in small pools will do more harm than good
>>
>>2083629

Oh yay it's the anti zoo guy.
>>
>>2083575
Yeah this shit pissed me off too. There's always a slant to documentaries. Always best to take their info with a gain of salt.
>>
>>2083575
There isn't even a sea world or equivalent in most countries.
>>
>>2083683
>it's a slant that highly intelligent animals were kept in tanks barely large enough to turn around in, in the darkness, with no interaction, which caused them to literally go insane and kill people out of actual hatred for humans

big ole' slant there

that stuff is fact. it cannot be argued. it doesn't matter what you think is slanted about it
>>
>>2083397
It's for the best. Aquatic animals of that size really are suitable for captivity, and the documented history of Seaworld in the documentary destroyed my faith in their ethics.

I still feel guilt about the entire thing.
>>
>>2083732
*aren't suitable
>>
File: tilikum.jpg (114KB, 980x533px) Image search: [Google]
tilikum.jpg
114KB, 980x533px
>>2083397
What's next for his career?
>>
>>2083575
If you think the people behind blackfish are faggots.

Sea World literally used proxies to bash the film.
>>
>>2083735
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/08/us/tilikum-orca-killer-whale-seaworld-illness/index.html
>Updated 9:27 PM ET, Tue March 8, 2016

>(CNN) Tilikum the killer whale may be "beginning to deteriorate" as the estimated 35-year-old animal battles a yet incurable bacterial infection in his lungs, SeaWorld said Tuesday.

>"Despite the best care available, like all aging animals, he battles chronic health issues that are taking a greater toll as he ages," SeaWorld said on its website. "However, the suspected bacteria is very resistant to treatment and a cure for his illness has not been found," SeaWorld said.

>The bull orca "has become increasingly lethargic" the past few weeks, according to the marine

He's apparently entering hospice. :(
>>
>>2083741
Man, I feel so fucking bad for tilikum.

He could literally be a /r9k/ poster.
>Gets captured
>Taken to sealand
>Get beat up by females
>Trainers hit me and deprive me from fool
>Snap
>Kill shit
>Taken to some SeaWorld faggot land
>Get beat up by even more females
>Fin bends
>Fuck this
>Kill ANOTHER faggot
>Get separated from other orcas
>Die

Feels bad man
>>
>>2083582
>those damn liberals took away my whale shows!

>I have grown to hate liberals
Really? I'm a liberal, what exactly have I done to you? A select group of activists make a film that I haven't even seen and somehow I'm responsible for it. It's upsetting that people form their opinions in such emotional ways.
>>
>>2083652
That is a really optimistic outlook. Overly optimistic even. Resurrecting a species isn't too easy, especially if you intend to release them into the wild. A lab grown animal isn't going to know how to hunt, and there is most definitely no older animals to show them how to that way. I mean, training condors to live out in the wild is pretty easy, a lab grown cheetah however, not so much. Maybe we'll learn to make like VR programs for these animals after we bring them back but that's all speculation. I'd rather focus on preserving the surviving and making sure they're still around for future generations, whether they be amphibian, feline or cetacean. But with complete ocean ecosystem collapse expected to be practically any day now, I'm not all too optimistic anymore.
>>
>>2083397
>black fish
>Orkas aren't fish

Why are liberal cry babies so retarded?
>>
>>2083741
Don't orcas live to like 80 in the wild? I know Beluga basically die after they finish puberty in captivity.and most of the ones that served in the USA's navy are now dead after being transferred to civilian zoos.
>>
>>2083753
Don't respond to posters who are clearly below the minimum IQ cutoff for 4chan use.
>>
>>2084189
>minimum IQ
>for 4chan use
kek
>>
>>2083917
We can already raise many animals who have never seen their parents to be fearful of humans and fend for themselves, including finding food, so this point I wouldn't be too worried about. People are always coming up with new ways to rehabilitate animals to be re-released into their former range. It can be a bit of trial and error, but eventually methods are found.

I'd much rather we look towards conservation now, and not just DNA collection for the future, too.

Also, I'm always seeing stories in the news on saber toothed tigers or woolly mammoths being brought back in the current times with DNA - I don't understand this as where are they hoping to release the animals? Or just keep them in a zoo all their lives? Past the first one, done for scientific curiosity, there would be little worth conservation wise in these long extinct animals being brought back.

It's like those tiger/lion crosses. Past the first one, there's no point. They have no value in conservation and are just bred for ego.
>>
File: image.gif (4MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4MB, 200x200px
>>2083582
Glad I missed this idiot
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 800x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 800x455px
>>2083701
>believing that nothing is left out of a documentary
>thinking something is fact because it's on a documentary
>might as well believe the aliens history channel shows while we are at it

I'm trying to say that it's good to reserve some skepticism about the whole thing.

I've been to the Orca tanks. They do have room to turn around in and toys. Obviously nothing is going to be the same as the wild.

They should definitely work with something that does better in captivity that's more realistic to take care of.

>kills people out of hatred
They're predators. It's not hate. That's like saying lions or sharks kill out of hate.

They're like the fucking pandas of the sea. Does poorly in captivity and not enough babies. It's a sad situation.
>>
>>2083582
Republican here to tell you you're fucking stupid and one of the reasons I won't call myself anything other than independent in public.
>>
>>2083629
Zoos =/= sea world. Plenty of animals can be kept in captivity comfortably; the orca is not one of them. Nobody has a problem with zoos because they don't routinely lie about an animals lifespan and behavior to cover up the fact that they're abusing them.
>>
>>2083920
>doesn't know where the title comes from
>calls others retards

bet if they called the movie Grampus you'd be bitching about how there's no Christmas and krampuses in it
>>
Plenty of dolphin parks in Japan and outer Europe and some of them have orcas. More are coming to the third world and China. Seaworld' breeding operation will probably just up and relocate to Hong Kong under new management. Japan is especially weird. They have demonstrations where they spread open the female dolphin's genital slits for the park's male visitors.
>>
>>2084590
Yeah, we're gonna need source, links and video on that. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2084595
Fell into the weird side of YouTube. Didn't save the link. Start with aquarium in Japan and pick links with moonrunes and look through the similar videos. There was another one where a diver was showing a group of school kids the dolphin's butthole and pooping and then how they treat the water. Also there's something in the news about masturbating dolphins in Amsterdam.
>>
>>2083397
I expect they'll reverse course when their numbers drop even more and it becomes clear the people that were offended by blackfish never attended their parks in the first place.
>>
>>2084753
>offended

Its actually sad you would claim having a problem with animals being kept in cruel and inadequate conditions is the same as being 'offended'.

Most animals live longer in captivity, not have their lifespan drastically reduced.
>>
>>2083575
Lol you are retarded. The great thing is, I'd that over the next 50 years all of your ideological beliefs that you cling top will be quashed by majority of society and governments will implement legislation that makes you boil. Enjoy the new world cunt, hopefully one day you will realize how wrong you were.
>>
>>2084340
Nah brah, orcas have never been documented to kill humans in the wild. So that's a bad analogy.

Orcas don't need to be in tanks to be saved. People need to stop killing them. Your position with them being at sea world has very little to do with their conservation.

Just admit you are a bit upset that you now can't pay money to see a whale do tricks at a show.

Aldo their tanks are small and shit. It would be like keeping a track athlete in an average back yard and telling them to do what they love.
>>
Wait, why is anyone angry at this? From the best of our knowledge they are going to divert the funding to more conservation and anti whaling stuff and also bring a new 'natural' orca experience. This is win win for the orcas.

So I don't quite believe any of the stuff people are saying abut how this is going to make it worse for the orcas. Can anyone bring up a legitimate point as to why it's a bad mood that doesn't involve things like 'it will decrease awareness about orcas'. Heaps of niggas never seen an orca but want them to live better lives, including myself.
>>
>>2083417
this is exactly what will happen.
>>
>>2084890
But it won't.. That's such a silly argument. Like a poster said above, they intend to use their resources to better help whales in other ways.
>>
>>2084896
By building more roller coasters? Because let's be honest here, that is what is going to happen. They're gonna throw a few dollars at 'conservation' and 'education' while the rest will be to making new roller coasters to attract crowds. It's what they're doing at Busch Gardens.
>>
>>2084595

http://i.4travel.jp/travelogue/show/10647788
Scroll down and click the blue button for more pictures.

>...and this is his penis.
>>
>>2084595

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/cruise_qm2/60759299.html
dolphin sex ed.

Sorry, don't speak moonpie.
>>
For the orcas, this is only a good thing. No more breeding program means SeaWorld can actually make that big fucking tank they had planned out, meaning the orcas can live in a more natural, enrichment filled environment and live out their last days as best they can. We probably won't get to see them go to sea pens, which is unfortunate, but it's better than letting them sit in those concrete pools. However, I feel bad that the dolphins and belugas have been sort of sidelined in this whole affair in favor of the orcas. I think more attention needs to be brought to how poorly these animals are being treated, and how young they die in captivity versus in the wild, especially the belugas. I don't know if maybe the sea lions or penguins or sharks are being treated poorly, but that's just the thing, I don't know that. There's almost zero coverage on any other SeaWorld animal besides the orcas. So I'm not exactly booking my next trip to SeaWorld until some major changes start going down, but this is a good step in the right direction.
>>
>>2083537
This sounds odd, but de-extinction is real and we've cloned plants (and some animals but they had health problems) before. The main problem I see with bringing back extinct species is genetic diversity will be basically non-existent.

That said, we should focus on preservation and breeding programs while they are still alive and not rely on a technology that isn't hasn't been perfected.
>>
>>2083652
Have you ever read a little manga called Hotel by any chance? I doubt it'll happen anytime soon with the current trend of human population growth, unless humans go extinct or stop breeding like god damn rabbits.
>>
Stop saying whales. Orcas are whales in the same way humans are apes, they're THE apex predators of the oceans and scarcely need our protection.

This was inevitable, I'm no animal rights activist but Orcas are too goddamn smart to be treated this way. Breed, trap, do whatever you want with fish, they don't care, but stick Orcas in a dark room and they'll go batshit insane in 20 hours and start killing each other.

There's no need for us to fuck with them. Orcas like humans and deserve mutual respect.
>>
>>2084937
yeah, this is probably the death knell of sea world, congratulations black fishfags, sea world actually does a lot of rehabilitation and is greatly involved in a few sea turtle projects. Orcas brought in the normies that let the park sustain itself. You guys really have to understand most places like this operate in a grey area, zoos and aquariums are neither entirely good or entirely bad, but what they do allow is for people that would never see or experience an animal to gain some familiarity with them and it makes people a lot more sympathetic to conservation efforts.

But you know, lets just burn the fuckers down. When an Aye-aye is just a combination of letters, no one will give a shit when it becomes extinct.
>>
>>2085415
If these right conditions exist and can satisfy orcas and have existed for some time now, why the fuck hasn't SeaWorld, a multi-billion dollar corporation installed them in the park? How come the fucking Oregon Coast Aquarium of all places is the one place that shelled out enough money just to make ONE orca comfortable, one they were going to release into the wild anyway? SeaWorld is a shit company, if they were a smart company, they'd implement these conditions to their park's tanks so that these orcas could live longer than 11 fucking years and end up making more money in the long run, never mind animal rights shit, that's just bad business. The only smart thing they're doing is getting their identical looking, expendable dolphins cheap from Japan.
>b-but! seaworld helps animals in the wild with the money they get from theme parks!
How many organizations do the exact same thing on nothing but non-profit based donations? SeaWorld has the money and capacity to turn it's parks from theme parks into something more akin to a marine wildlife preserve, but they don't fucking do that. SeaWorld is not in the Gulf of Mexico saving Vaquitas, SeaWorld is not guarding the nests of leatherback sea turtles, SeaWorld is making fucking bank by having dolphins splash around and charging people for overpriced sodas and food.
>>
>>2084840
Pick whatever word you like, it's likely that people who watched Blackfish weren't regular attendees of SeaWorld in the first place.

their attendance has always been shit compared to straight amusement parks, and it was dropping before Blackfish came out.

so it's likely this move won't boost attendance, in which case they may very well reverse course. The sad truth is most environmentalist types don't have money to spend on vacations or kids to take to amusement parks.
>>
>>2086145
Would you keep niggers in cages if it helped Africa?

Orcas are smart to the point captive breeding and captive social structures are so dysfunctional female orcas have no idea what to do with calves, the try to kill their own young because they have no female role models teaching them what a baby is and how to be a mother.
>>
>>2083652
But we need an alive female of similar species to carry the baby in her uterus.
>>
>>2086145
>the symbol of marine mammal conservation

please
>>
>>2086252
We won't in 20-25 years. maybe less. growing an embryo to viability in a nutrient tank is probably within our grasp right now, actually.
>>
>>2084186
>most of the ones that served in the USA's navy
wait what?
>>
>>2087093
He was mistaken. It was Orcs that served in the Navy, not Orcas. They came over on a naval transfer program from New Zealand.
>>
>>2083397
It is a small victory, OP.
>>
>implying they aren't fully intending to go back on this as soon as the anti orca hype dies down in a few years.

That, or "oops two got together accidentely we didn't mean it"
>>
>>2087150
So what if two did decide to mate on their own? Would they have to perform an
Orcabortion?
>>
>>2087093
There were several beluga whales that worked for the navy special forces doing retrieval and anti mine work during the cold war.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.