[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Chance Giant Squid Still Exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: squid.jpg (285KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
squid.jpg
285KB, 1920x1080px
So I actually forgot this happened till a thread on /x/ has something about ocean creatures and it jogged my memory. Happened really late at night too, so I was pretty tired. Anyway, I copied this from the other thread.

I'm pretty sure my fiance won the lotto the other night and saw a giant (alive) squid get washed up on shore after a sneaker wave almost got him and his buddy.

We have private beach access and they took the dog out for a night walk.

His buddy said the water didn't sound right so they ran upstairs and sure enough, ten foot wall of water comes nipping on their heels.

They decided to sit at the top of the cliff after that, but while up there, they thought the wave washed a huge log up on shore or something. My fiance pointed the flashlight on it and he descibes it as a 'dinner plate sized orange eye, dark/black skin, and writhing and making freaky sounds against the rocks'.

Another huge wave came in a little after that and it was gone. Both of them thought they were hallucinating, but they remember the dog freaking out and barking.

So what does /an/ think? Think it could have been a squid? I couldn't think of anything else with the 'dinner plate sized eye ball' description. Fiances convinced it was something else, but he was also pretty freaked out already by the sneaker wave just a few minutes before, and I don't personally think it was anything paranormal (in the alien sense at least). He did also claim that it was taking up most of the room of the small beach area down there, and that area is at least 30 feet across, if not more.
>>
Just another made up story.
>>
>>2053443
Eh, I know my fiance pretty well. I had to practically drag it out of him because I could tell he was freaked out by something and he wasn't telling me what. And then after he said that his buddy said himself they shouldn't say anything to me because I wouldn't believe them and would think they were making stories up to mess with me.
>>
>>2053443
>>2053445
Of course, I'm not saying it was some crazy sea creature or Nessy, I'm pretty skeptical when it comes to that stuff. But I do believe he saw SOMETHING, and I'm just curious what that something was taking into what is most likely with the known animals that we've already discovered. He have proof that giant squids existed, so I'm just wondering if that's what it COULD have been, seeing as I really wonder what else could have fit the description.
>>
Wut. They still exist. They aren't extinct. Both giant and colossal squids are still out there.
>>
>>2053456
Oooh...well I'm an idiot...I could have sworn it said they were extinct, at least the giant ones.

Ok, well that aside, wondering if he actually saw one then.
>>
>>2053458
Who knows, could have been. It could have been any kind of cephalopod really. Common octopi and squid species can look enormous when you actually see them in person.
>>
>>2053458
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/28/asia/toyama-japan-giant-squid/
>>
>>2053464
Link didn't work, so I looked up another on youtube, and jesus christ they are terrifying
>>
>>2053445
This is literally how every story on/x/ goes. Oh we never discussed it because we were too freaked out and didn't want to talk about it. To /x/tards that is how supernatural powers remain hidden from the public, because everyone is "too freaked out" to talk about their experiences. Just go back to your tinfoil hat board you idiot.
>>
>>2053536
...dude, squids have been documented and seen, what the fuck is the matter with you? I said I'm not looking for some magical, never been seen creature before, and I -thought- giant squids were extinct at the time of making the thread, but apparently not. I was just trying to see the likelyhood that maybe that's what they saw. Why are you so pissed off? Goddamn, not everything is a fucking huge mysterious, never gonna be solved mystery.
>>
I hope they do.
I bet they taste spectacular.
>>
>>2053824
Taste gross, full of ammonia
>>
>>2053815
>http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/28/asia/toyama-japan-giant-squid/
/an/ons hate eachother. Such is this board. They hate animals too so be prepared.
>>
>>2053442
That would be so cool. To bad its fake
>>
>>2053842
That link doesn't work anymore, I've tried looking it up.
>>
Is this a troll thread

You know Giant and Colossal Squids are still alive right
>>
>>2053815
>I was just trying to see the likelyhood that maybe that's what they saw.
0%
>>
>>2053871
Ya, I fucked up and read a long link the first time I checked on Google, and I can't edit the opening post. Someone already corrected me.

I knew we still had large ones, but I thought the -giant- one's were extinct.
>>
>>2053880
wrong link*
>>2053879
ok troll, you got your response, now go do your home work.
>>
>>2053871
pics or it didn't happen.....faggot.
And not the ones that have been found, but like OP's pic (which is a fake). A REAL GIANT SQUID!!
>>
>>2053888
>2016
>thinking that giant squids dont reel after every significant biologyst confirmed they do, infact, exist.
>being a total fucking retard
>>
>>2053842
didn't mean to copy that link in my reply lol
>>
>>2053887
>ok troll, you got your response, now go do your home work.
fuck you, I was answering OP's question. the chances that her boyfriend's story was true and a giant squid sighting is nonexistant.
>>
>>2053888
Wow. you sound like an idiot. Did You read my post? Where are the real pics of GIANT squids? Go to bed gary
>>
>>2053898
>0%
>Scientists know giant squids still exist, but NO, there is ZERO chance a common person saw one
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 553x412px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 553x412px
>>2053443
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
>>
There was a really good Attenborough documentary on the giant squid recently where they get like the first live footage and stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0377t15
>>
>>2053922
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0377t15
>Available to watch in the UK only

Got any copy or clip from it on youtube or something?
>>
>>2053915
The burden of proofs lies on the one who tells cool story.
>>
It's possible, but he would be incredibly lucky and circumstances would have to be very weird. Both are typically deep-sea dwellers. I think it's more likely it was a big regular squid, or not even a squid at all but some large fish like a sun fish or something
>>
File: 1357155164579.jpg (11KB, 195x159px) Image search: [Google]
1357155164579.jpg
11KB, 195x159px
>>2053871
This.
Do you fools not watch nature documentaries?
>>
>>2054241
>>2054241
The only reason I thought squid at first was because he said it was writhing like a snake, and he mistakenly thought it was a log before he shined the light on it.

We were having some heavy storms at the time and the news was giving out warnings of high waves, so the sneaker wave was kind of expected.

Is there any other sea animals that fit that type of description though? While I'm happy that he's more cautious now, he's also convinced it was something more alien than animal. I was hoping showing him some pics of actual animals might jog his memory and set him at ease a little, cause he was already terrified of the ocean before.
>>
>>2054340
It was just Cthulhu sticking his head up to say hi.
>>
>>2053902
Not him but the likehood that your bf saw one on the beach, and it just disappeared a little after is indeed 0%. Giant squid live in the deep,and if it really landed on the beach it wouldn't have just disappeared after. Just because it exist it doesn't mean that story is plausible.
>>
>>2053924
Just google "Giant Squid: Filming the Impossible" it'll be out there somewhere.
>>
>>2053902
>but NO, there is ZERO chance a common person saw one
no, there is 0% chance THIS is the description of such a sighting:
>They decided to sit at the top of the cliff after that, but while up there, they thought the wave washed a huge log up on shore or something. My fiance pointed the flashlight on it and he descibes it as a 'dinner plate sized orange eye, dark/black skin, and writhing and making freaky sounds against the rocks'.
>Another huge wave came in a little after that and it was gone. Both of them thought they were hallucinating, but they remember the dog freaking out and barking.
>>
File: 45654.jpg (65KB, 463x375px) Image search: [Google]
45654.jpg
65KB, 463x375px
Someone should probably fix this. I thought I'd gone crazy for a moment
>>
its on the tube bud
>>
woomy
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.