[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got a spider and I need advice on how to treat her

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20160121_004155.jpg (929KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_004155.jpg
929KB, 1836x3264px
I just got a spider and I need advice on how to treat her well, please help me.
>>
>>2052476
Why do you niggers never do your research before buying a pet? Also nice fucking details you provided there, smart one.
>>
>>2052476
Use a hammer that fucker looks big.
>>
>>2052476
look into molting. most dangerous time for a spider. she will reject food for a while prior to molting and will likely molt on her back looking dead with some silk under her body. remove any prey during that time a cricket or roach could actually eat her instead of the other way around. bitch will be a softshell mirelurk all vulnerable and shit
>>
>>2052498

that's not funny
>>
>>2052524
Thanks anon I had no idea about any of that
>>
>>2052476
Is that your T? Do you know the species or at least genus? Most tarantulas are fairly easy to take care of so long as you know what they need, most of the problems arise from people who aren't used to dealing with fast animals.
>>
File: IMG_20160202_074238066.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160202_074238066.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
Is she DEAD now?
>>
I'm having a panic attack.
>>
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html

This guy generally knows what hes talking about. Read everything on his site besides the page on ICUs.
No, not dead. As long as legs are extended its okay. Spiders use hydraulic pressure to move their legs, so if all the legs are curled under the body, its dead or dying. Dehydration is easily avoided by providing a full water dish (just water, no sponge or gel EVER). Yours is fine. Tarantulas are pretty
forgiving in that most of them can go a long time in a pretty fucked up enclosure. They dont just die overnight. Unless you have active pesticides in your house. Treat any pesticide like tarantula-cide.

Please give more info about your purchase. What was it sold to you as? It looks like a Psalmopoeus cambridgei but I may be wrong. In any case it is definitely arboreal. Arboreal tarantulas live in treetops and therefore need more vertical space. They appreciate hollowed cork bark tubes leaned vertically, try to find one at a pet store. It seems you basically have it set up like a terrestrial, which is fine in the short term, but you should design a proper enclosure in the next couple weeks. If you have the monry get a 12X12X18 or 8X8X12 zoo med or exo terra. Otherwise you need to improvise something tall and well ventilated.

If Im right on the species ID, you have a rather venomous tarantula, so treat her with a lot of respect.
>>
Also, never feed wild caught bugs/lizards. And dont leave anything in with the tarantula for more than 12 hours or so. She probably wont eat but thats okay. Adults can be fed only one large bug a month and stay healthy. Having water is much more important for them.
>>
File: 20160202_072605.jpg (1MB, 1536x2560px) Image search: [Google]
20160202_072605.jpg
1MB, 1536x2560px
This is basically what you're going for. The plant is an aquarium one buried into the substrate and the cork came from a bulk order on amazon. The moss is sphagnum, it's safe and holds water, so it's great for tarantulas that need a little more humidity.
>>
>>2052571
>people who aren't used to dealing with fast animals

Yeah these can be pretty fucking quick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUbckLuhkQk
By the way, the guy in the video is a dumbass because the tarantula is clearly panicking the fuck out. Luckily it jumps into its enclosure instead of the floor.
>>
>>2052645
Thank you, anon
Yes, you are right, Psalmopoeus cambridgei
>>
She hasn't eat in a while
She moves really slow
right now she seems to have buried herself in the dirt
That can happen while pre molting?
>>
>>2052660
Dude, you are obviously completely unprepared to take proper care of this thing. Why the hell did you get it?
>>
>>2052664
It's my first pet
I don't have a lot of space at home and I really wanted a pet, fish doesn't seem exciting, snakes seem a lot harder to take care so I got a spider, that seemed like my best choice
>>
>>2052670
>First pet
>Gets a fast moving venomous spider
>Does zero research beforehand
>"Lol I'll just let /an/ tell me what to do because I'm an irresponsible lazy asshole xD"

I hate you so fucking much
>>
The guy who sold it to me, said he would help me to take care of her, but he got sick and had to be taken to a hospital in another state
>>
>>2052675
that's completely understandable
>>
File: rune.jpg (1009KB, 1502x2101px) Image search: [Google]
rune.jpg
1009KB, 1502x2101px
>>2052670
Unless she hasn't eat for a month or longer don't worry about it. Does she have a water dish?

Tarantulas usually move slow. They move fast when they are hunting or escaping as you can see in the video.

She is in the dirt to try to find somewhere to hide because there's nothing vertical like the log I showed you in my earlier pic.

I just want you to be prepared. It would've been nice if you researched beforehand. I think the seller should have warned you it's very fast and highly venomous. You need to be mentally prepared to be able to catch her if she escapes. Fast tarantulas can actually move faster than you can physically see. I've been keeping tarantulas for about a year and I'm still a little jumpy with them sometimes. I think you would've been much better off starting with a calmer species with mild venom. But if you want to go through with it you're going to need to listen to what I said and learn proper care.

Show a picture of the whole enclosure?
>>
File: puccidetail.jpg (215KB, 991x748px) Image search: [Google]
puccidetail.jpg
215KB, 991x748px
If you're sure you can take care of her and deal with the possibility of being bitten, I can try to try to talk to some more experienced keepers to give you more specific information on the species because I honestly don't know the specifics. For example I think I remember someone's Psalmopoeus species burrowing even though it had an arboreal setup. Strange behavior like this isn't something to worry about, basically the first thing you have to do is get over your need to fuss about everything the animal is doing because you don't understand it.

By the way, tarantulas are the #1 hardest animal to learn husbandry for through google because there's multiple things wrong with basically every care sheet. This one I found for your genus has two problems that most other caresheets share:

http://www.mikebasictarantula.com/Psa-irminias-care-sheet.html
>I keep the temperature between 78°-82°F and the humidity at 65%-75%
Big tarantulas can deal with hugely variable temperatures anywhere from the mid 50's to the to high 80s. Relative humidity is not actually that important to them, but some species, like having some water added to the substrate around once a week. I THINK yours is in this category of needing a little more humidity (again, not totally familiar) but you should never need to know the specific humidity %'s. And the T can be kept at room temperature as long as you dont feel like you need to bundle up. Make sure it's far away from all A/C vents, forgot to mention that. A/C (and heat if it's close enough) kills them. Do not use heat lamps/pads.
> Now I give my Venezuelan Suntiger two (2) -one inch B. dubia roaches or seven (7) adult crickets weekly.
Definitely overfeeding. 28 crickets a month is just awful. Good way to have an obese pet.

The closest thing the hobby has to a good care book is The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Schultz (same guy who wrote the website I linked earlier). However, even that is outdated and full of misinformation.
>>
File: IMG_20160202_115553679.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160202_115553679.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2052680
>>
>>2052682
Thank you, I'm reading everything I can find right now
>>
File: 20160202_104233.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160202_104233.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>2052685
You basically need to do two things. One, a water dish, for like the 5th time. She is probably dehydrated because they are not a desert species. A gatorade or milk bottle cap works well. Bury it partially into the substrate. (see >>2052652). You need to get a syringe to put water in it. You cant just take it out every time. Get sphagnum moss. Put some of it around the dish and then overflow it so that the moss is wet. This will increase the humidity and let the T know there's a source of water. Hopefully you'll be able to do this without her reacting to all of the movement. Try to put the dish in a corner so you only have to lift a little bit of the lid to fill it.

This leads to my next point, that cage sucks. I can see why the former owner (who you REALLY should've asked more about the spider) gave it away. With that kind of cage, it's almost impossible to safely to do anything, because you have to put your arm in there from the top. And as you can see in the video I showed you, they can just leave if they get scared/defensive and the lid is off. More importantly, arboreal tarantulas, specifically ones kept more humid (like yours) need CROSS VENTILATION. This means there's ventilation on the top AND the sides. An aquarium fails miserably at this and there's going to be a lot of stagnant air, which causes mold and basically kills your tarantula slowly. I would try to get something new for her in a week. If you can't afford a shiny new exo terra/zoo med brand terrarium, just try to get something plastic that you can poke holes in, that's taller than wide, and at least 12" tall. It needs to be the kind of plastic that bends easily and doesn't crack. Like the kind in rubbermaid or tupaware. Walmart has selections. Poke many holes around the side and through the lid with a heated needle.

For now, just hydrate her and figure out what you're putting her in.
>>
>>2052680
Pretty, anon. On the internet, no one knows you're a shitposting spider
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.