[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was at a local fishstore with my wife getting the fish for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20160126_202903.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_202903.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
I was at a local fishstore with my wife getting the fish for our new tank and saw a large tadpole in one of their tanks.

Apparently it came in with the goldfish and they didn't know what to do with it. I have had tadpoles in the past so said i would pay whatever they wanted, manager told me to take it and pay them back by giving updates on it.

Any ideas on identifying tadpoles? Pic related. It is 2-2 1/2 in long.
>>
This thread has future fighting with bugguy written all over it
>>
>>2047389
prolly just a bullfrog.
they're sold in fish stores in the US pretty often.
>>
That's a bullfrog tadpole, most likely.

You'll need to keep a very close eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels. They have a low tolerance for toxins in the water.
>>
>>2047421

Thanks, Ill do that. any suggestions on good test strip brands? How low should I try and keep the levels?
>>
>>2047434

Did some googling. Right now he is in with my other fish. 40 gallon tank with 11in of total fish excluding him.

Looks like plants help, currently i have two bamboo and some bulbs that will take a few weeks to get doing.

Ill get a testing kit to monitor the levels of both and make sure not to overfeed. When I start to see signs of legs ill get it its own tank.
>>
>>2047440
Get something that floats plantwise if you want anything to get better. that bamboo is practically nothing. The bulbs suck in dirty tanks without some sort of co2.
>>
>>2047434

Test strips aren't very good, to be honest. You'd do better to buy a test tube and reagent kit. It's a little more expensive at first but you get way more tests out of them, and the tests are more accurate.

When buying a reagent kit, make sure it's not expired (they should be like a year from expiry if at all possible--obviously, the longer away the better). If the reagents are expired, they give wrong results.

Alternatively to measure ammonia, you could get the seachem stick-on monitor. This is just a little thingy with a suction cup you stick in the water and it tells you if there's ammonia. I've found it works pretty well. Maybe not quite as perfect as a reagent kit, but much better than strips. It's good enough.

Ammonia and nitrite need to be at zero for proper tadpole health. They can handle some nitrate in the water though. Not sure how much off the top of my head but nitrate won't hurt them. Ammonia or nitrite will likely kill them in a matter of hours or a couple of days, and even if it doesn't, it weakens their immune system which can cause them to get sick. So make sure to keep ammonia/nitrite at zero.

Prime water conditioner binds ammonia and nitrite into a non-toxic form. I believe the effects last 24 hours.
>>
>>2047389
Is that your tank? Op why did you get shit gravel
>>
>>2049195

>They can handle some nitrate in the water though. Not sure how much off the top of my head but nitrate won't hurt them.

I should have been more clear. A LITTLE nitrate won't hurt them. At a certain level nitrate does become toxic, but some nitrate in the water is fine. I'm not sure at what level nitrate becomes toxic to tadpoles but you have at least a little wiggle room with it.

The bigger things you need to worry about are ammonia and nitrite, which need to be at zero. Any ammonia or nitrite is too much.
>>
>>2049198
>shit gravel
literally nothing wrong with that gravel. you are just an autistic retard.
>>
>>2047389
if you have angelfish or tetras they might try to eat chunks of him in the night. put something in there he can hide under if you havent
>>
>>2049216
not them. but color is hideous. brightly colored gravel is tacky as fuck.
>>
>>2049216
Post your tank
>>
I'm not OP but I don't even use gravel in my fish tank.

I just let a layer of algae grow on the bottom.

I'm not being prescriptive here. I'm just saying what I do. I don't see the point of gravel.
>>
>>2049229
>I don't see the point of gravel.
Bacterial colony substrate.
>>
>>2049229
Doesn't it help with keeping beneficial bacteria?
>>
>>2049216
>brightly colored gravel is tacky
>autistic
choose 2
>>
>>2049251
>>2049252
only if you use an undergravel filter.

otherwise it's just an anoxic zone where bacteria produce deadly hydrogen sulfide gas.
>>
>>2049270
You're wrong.
>>
>>2049270
Hydrogen sulfide might be actually denitrifiers. The assholes who totally neglect their tacky gravel might be onto something. But plants are best though, fish really are friskier in a jungle instead a desolate neon wasteland. But it could be a jungle with blue gravel, plants don't mind.
>>
>>2049300
>Hydrogen sulfide might be actually denitrifiers
they are.

and there are nitrifiers that act as denitrifiers in the absence of oxygen. Facultative anaerobes.
>>
File: aerial-6176.jpg (104KB, 350x231px) Image search: [Google]
aerial-6176.jpg
104KB, 350x231px
>>2047389
I work in a pet shop we get our comet goldfish from Ozark Fisheries they have a facility in Missouri and Indiana that look like this... It's pretty clear how those buggers get mixed into the batches, every time I get any fish (or tadpole) I always think of the journey they've been through...
>>
File: Water Scorpion (4).jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Water Scorpion (4).jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>2047389
Looks like a bullfrog tadpole.
>>2049359
Same here. If we don't get tadpoles, its bluegill and crayfish. I got a water scorpion once. It was so cool.
>>
>>2049364
Never got crays with ours, we once got the scorpion and some type of gobies in a large order of shrimp but bluegill we get plenty I have too sitting in our tank sets at the shop as sort of store mascots they're about 4 inches long now
>>
I work at pets mart and get those and crawfish from time to time, usually one of the people takes it for her community tank
>>
File: insect022.jpg (336KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
insect022.jpg
336KB, 1000x750px
>>2049374
That's cool. Did you find out what type of gobies? I know they're not good (I love any creature), but we've gotten water lice too. I think they look cool, but they can mess some fish up. Also we've gotten Eastern toe-biters
>>
>>2049270
>using an undergravel filter
>>
>>2049386
They aren't that bad, its just there are to many dumb-ass people out there who don't know what they're doing. I still don't like them
>>
>>2049383
No because they aren't in our sets, we give them away for free like the tadpoles and people grabbed them up before I could get a serious look at them
>>
>>2049393
That sucks about identifying them, but thats cool that you give them a home. I totally forgot we use to get hillstream loaches and some type of algae eaters that looked like a gara pingi.
>>
>>2049401
I just received an order of 6 hillstream loaches the other day 2 came in as vibrant black and yellow males
>>
>>2049420
That's awesome. I'm gonna head out. nice chatting with you guys
>>
Please name him pepe
>>
>>2047389
It would be really challenging to ID the species from a photo, as typically one of the key characteristics for tadpole ID (to a family level anyways,) involves looking at the mouth morphology- specifically tooth rows. Also, given that you have no way of knowing what area it came from, it is also tricky to confirm an ID. But if the tadpole reaches over 100mm in length, you are pretty much guaranteed to have an American bullfrog. Also, few North American species have a visible arch in the tail fin like yours does. Personally I think you may have either Hyla sp. or Rana/Lithobates sp. Either way, good luck caring for it, there is good advice in this thread and you can always confirm the species once it becomes an adult! :)
>>
>>2049383
goddamn bastard Giant Water Bugs
>>
File: 1452235507996.jpg (23KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1452235507996.jpg
23KB, 184x184px
>>2047389

If its 2-2 1/2 inches long its probaably a bull frog. They are huge in tadpole form. They stay in tadpole form for a long ass time though so you can enjoy his swimming for a while before he evolves.
>>
>>2047389
When he becomes a frog are you going to give him his own tank? like a turtle tank?
>>
>>2049545
> evolves
>>
>>2047389
We catch tadpoles in the creek that runs through our property. The large ones hatch into bullfrogs The little ones hatch into tree frogs
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.