[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/arachnid/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (115KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 600x450px
Post yours or ones you want.

Starting off with a Thrixopelma lagunas. Can't seem to find one near me
>>
>>2045100
How does owning spiders compare to owning similar size small pets, like a rat? When I was a kid my mothers friend had a tarantula and I thought it was kickass but, unlike most pets what do you DO with them. You can't really train them, you just kinda, look at them and feed them till they die? What is the appeal vs a pet that's more 'interactive'? Also waiting for arthropodmale to show up
>>
File: image.jpg (196KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196KB, 750x563px
>>2045155
Yeah pretty much. Just look at them and watch them grow, build their webs, redecorate, and feed.

Especially since they look cool
>>
File: 1452813075379-1.gif (2MB, 506x285px) Image search: [Google]
1452813075379-1.gif
2MB, 506x285px
If I may ask, are spiders studied in Entomology at all?
I know there's also Arachnology but I keep seeing some places where spiders are studied under it
>>
>>2046166
In the usa they are. You pretty much learn insect taxonomy and physiology, then other mandibuladae then arachnids if you stick around long enough. Its not stressed as heavily because controlling insect pests is a big part of entomology and arachnids are rarely pests
>>
File: 20151230_193721-1.jpg (3MB, 2271x2202px) Image search: [Google]
20151230_193721-1.jpg
3MB, 2271x2202px
Can anybody tell if my rosehair is male or female?
>>
File: solifugid.jpg (73KB, 670x400px) Image search: [Google]
solifugid.jpg
73KB, 670x400px
>>2045100
I wish people captive breed these guys. Interesting creatures.
>>
>>2046256
>Shows the top
>pedipalps are also hard to see
I'm not sure if you're trolling or not...
>>
File: spodercoot.png (467KB, 592x390px) Image search: [Google]
spodercoot.png
467KB, 592x390px
These videos are some of the coolest shit I have ever seen. They are all recorded by an amateur hobbyist.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA1shkhjIY_QiDdYfEYDqew
>>
>>2046309
Shame they only live for a few months in captivity
>>
>>2046841
I had mine for about 6 months and had people ask me what i was doing. I told them feed it a cricket or 2 daily and never keep water in the enclosure (because that's what the distributor told me). I've had 2 that lived a little longer than 6 months, but damn. I know how to care for my pets and I felt like an ass for not being able to keep one alive any longer than that.
>>
>>2047418
You kept them alive for longer than 6 months? That's impressive
>>
>>2047418

I bet you they do need water. Tarantulas need water and so do a lot of beetles, so I don't think these guys would be that different.

I'm not an entomologist. This is just my conjecture.
>>
>>2047750
>>2047640
>>2047418
There are people that have kept them alive for more than a year. They take years to mature and some species go dormant in the winter. Really the problem is we don't know why they die in captivity, there are just theories.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/solifugids-actually-lives-longer-than-we-think.59006/

Later in the thread some one has some success with the smaller species native to California for awhile. They did eventually die for unknown reasons though.
>>
>>2047750

Most insect pets you're supposed to mist once a day. So yeah, they need water.
>>
>>2047763
They are a. not insects. and b. predominantly arid area species. Misting is done far less frequently with arid area arachnids like scorpions usually just once a week.
>>
>>2046256
It is female
>>
>>2048942
There is no way you could possible know that from this picture.
>>
File: zGIF 1446305860639.gif (2MB, 550x381px) Image search: [Google]
zGIF 1446305860639.gif
2MB, 550x381px
Does anyone know where I can order a Diving Bell spider (Argyroneta aquatica) online?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.