[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unexpected Christmas present

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: venus-flytrap-facts-for-kids.jpg (627KB, 1416x1064px) Image search: [Google]
venus-flytrap-facts-for-kids.jpg
627KB, 1416x1064px
I was gifted a Venus Flytrap for Christmas, completely out of the blue, being the only indicator that I "wanted" one being "everytime I go past the exotic plants store I imagine how it'd be like to have a flytrap".
I have no idea how to take care of it. I've been reading and reading stuff today, but information from some places contradicts that of others, and makes everything get mixed up. How do I take care of this new plant friend?
>>
Take it to the vet
>>
>>2023446
Despite your best efforts, it will be dead in a month, two months if your lucky.
>>
>>2023449
Why? Obviously with this lack of preparation there are gonna be some bumps on the way, and the plant dying is something likely to happen, but do you say that exactly, anon?
>>
File: Frog and Plant.gif (2MB, 316x259px) Image search: [Google]
Frog and Plant.gif
2MB, 316x259px
>>2023446
Feed freeze dried blood worm that have been re-hydrated two times a week with a tooth pic.
Keep most with rain water or bottled water(one without a bunch of minerals in it). On hot days, you can let the bottom of the pot soak.
Put the plant in a south facing window. If you don't have a south facing window, do east or west.
Remove dead leaves.
>>
>>2023469
I've also heard that, after they eat bugs the only thing left is their carcass which you have to take out yourself. How can I do that safely? This flytrap's traps are just about the size of my thumb tip
>>
File: Mimosa_Pudica.gif (4MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Mimosa_Pudica.gif
4MB, 320x240px
>>2023469
Oh, I almost forgot. If it was bought from a inside store, it will need to be introduce to sunlight slowly. Leave it in the window for only a few hours a day then gradually longer.
>>
>>2023469
supplementing them with frozen food isn't necessary, you're going to have a hard time keeping the pot bug-free indoors anyway.

gnats will be all over that shit within no time.
>>
File: Drosera madagascariensis 1.jpg (67KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Drosera madagascariensis 1.jpg
67KB, 800x600px
>>2023474
I'm an amateur myself, having only owned my Venus Flytrap a month, and I can't say I've heard of this. A few quick google searches say that it really isn't necessary to remove the dead bug. But if you would like to for appearances, spray it with some water and use small tweezers.
>>
File: Drosera cuneifolia 2.jpg (2MB, 2435x1826px) Image search: [Google]
Drosera cuneifolia 2.jpg
2MB, 2435x1826px
>>2023481
Oh, it's winter where I live. I forgot some people live in warmer areas. No need to feed when there's bugs around.
>>
>>2023481
Yeah, that sounded like it was too much. We have lots of spiders here anyway, with the occassional fly and mosquito, so I doubt it's gonna be necessary. Thanks

>>2023483
Well, I don't care about appearences much, I just want the little plant guy to live. Thanks to you too

>>2023484
In any case, don't Flytraps hibernate?
>>
>>2023484
it's winter here.

the gnats are still around, besides keeping Dionaea muscipula indoors at regular room temperature during this time of the year will kill it.

they need a winter rest or they'll grow themselves to death.
>>
>>2023486
>don't Flytraps hibernate
yes.

but is yours in dormancy at the moment?
>>
>>2023486
Ah, heck, I think you're right. I'm going to stop feeding mine so often from now on until spring.
>>
>>2023490
I think so, taken that it's said that dormancy takes place between November-March, and in March it starts hibernation. Should I take any special care of my plant while in dormancy?
>>
File: garbage.jpg (394KB, 1168x646px) Image search: [Google]
garbage.jpg
394KB, 1168x646px
>>2023493
you'll also want to decrease the temperature, light, and watering.
>>2023494
if it looks like shit it's in dormancy.

what I just said.
>>
>>2023498
How cold can I let it get? It often gets below 20 degrees outside here.
>>
>>2023498
It looks small, and it was given to me with one of the traps being already dead. Even so, it has more traps growing, so
Also, what's the difference in caring for a flytrap in dormancy and one in its growing period?
>>
>>2023502
cold but not frosty, around 5C.
>>
>>2023505
they often look worse.

they should be kept cold, dark and dry during the winter, just keep them dry enough so that they don't start to rot, but don't let it go bone-dry.
>>
>>2023498
>>2023507
Is that a bog garden? Another website was saying in you make a bog garden and insulate it right, you're Venus flytrap can survive temperatures much less then 5C.
How did you make yours?
>>
>>2023512
it's some sphagnum thrown in a ugly tub, my Droseras grow in there.

>much less then 5C
frost often kills them when theyre grown in pots.

the winters have been so mellow here lately that all I need to do is put them under covers because it rains a lot and theyll go moldy.
>>
>>2023516
>ugly tub

You got that right.

*they'll
>>
>>2023469
that's retarded advice please shut up
>>
File: tumblr_n6i7vaxAQN1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg (647KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6i7vaxAQN1sfkjgyo1_1280.jpg
647KB, 1280x853px
>>2023519
it looks better during the summer.
>>
>>2023516
Then I'm not sure how I could keep them in door or out. One website said I could put them in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 months. This may be my only option.
>>
>>2023533
they don't 'need' light during dormancy, if anything you could just put them in the basement.

keeping them at low light is better though.
>>
>>2023533
Just like a tortoise :D
>>
>>2023533
I did it in 2011 because that winter was like summer. It's very easy, just get some zip bags, drt sphagmum moss, water and fungicide. Soak the moss in water and then drain it, keeping it just moist. Wrap it arround your vftp's roots and add some fungicide. keep inside the zip bag with the minimum air possible. Each week,open it, let them out for an hour or so, add a bit more of fungicide and close again.
>>
>>2023537
After a bit of searching, I found a rather cold window in my basement. I think it will work. Thank you for all your advice.
>>
>>2023543
if the temperature raises above 6ÂșC the plant will try to keep a minimum metabolism and that can kill it if it doesn't have sunlight, beware.
>>
File: Quercus_robur_JPG_(d1).jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Quercus_robur_JPG_(d1).jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>2023544
he said a WINDOW in his basement.
>>
File: wasp flytrap.jpg (92KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
wasp flytrap.jpg
92KB, 1024x575px
>>2023547
The fridge method is still better.
>>
>>2023547
You don't know that basement, It's not necessarily like your parent's basement, where you live.
>>
>>2023550
that only works if your collection is limited.
>>
>>2023566
He has ONE vft
>>
>>2023547
Basements often have windows right above ground level.
>>
>>2024338
true dat.

in the US if you want them to count as part of the value of your house, basements have to have windows. Big ones that you can crawl out of in case of a fire.
>>
>>2024340
figures, seeing the houses in the US are wired so shitty they burn down constantly.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.