[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calories in Rawhide Chews

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Rolled-Rawhide.jpg (15KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Rolled-Rawhide.jpg
15KB, 350x350px
Alright /an/ I can't seem to find the answer on a standard internet search. Does anyone know an estimate for how many calories a typical rawhide chew contains? I have two Brittanys and I'm worried about whether chews add too much to their daily caloric intake.
>>
I would think it takes more calories to digest rawhide than what's contained in the hide itself.
>>
It's just dried skin.
It's nothing.
>>
you shouldn't give them rawhides anyway. try pizzle/bully sticks, pig skin twists, and antlers

and stop worrying about it. unless you give them a bucketload daily, it really won't make a difference
>>
You shouldn't do rawhide, like someone already said. Stuffed frozen Kongs, bully sticks, Himalayan chews, raw knuckle bones, and soft antlers like moose antlers are safer and healthier options.

When it comes to determining food portions for you dogs it's best to adjust based on body condition. Brittanys are athletes and should be kept lean, with a very pronounced tuck. You should be able to easily feel ribs and see them when your dogs stretch or breathe heavily. The hip bones and shoulder blade seams should be felt with slight pressure. From there you can determine if you need to lower or increase their intake. Just from experience I found the bag feeding instructions to be way more than most dogs actually need.
>>
>>2022879
>Knuckle bones

How is that any better than a chew? Everyones under this misguided opinion that raw bones are somehow better, when in reality-it's still a fucking bone.

If your worried about you dog becoming impacted, don't give it shit that you know it won't chew.

My idiot friend -godbless him- tried to give my dog a 'raw' beef rib the other day saying it was safer. Fuckin dog snapped it in one bite and I had to get the splintered pieces away from him. He does that with any bones I give him, and I know the knuckle bones are no better because I've tried those too.

Just observe your dogs people. Learn how they eat things and use some common sense when giving them treats, not some stupid fad that I can guarantee most vets don't agree on.
>>
>>2022879
>>2022938
And another thing, I feel like most of the people on here are such control freaks with the food proportions.

If you aren't doing agility with your dog, or excersising them excessively, just let them eat till they are full. Most dogs aren't gluttons, and if it starts to get chubby, well that's a pretty good indicator that it isn't getting enough excersise, ain't it?
>>
>>2022939
>most dogs aren't gluttons

They are if they aren't used to free feeding.
>>
>>2022827
What's the problem with rawhide? why are other things such as pigskin better? aren't they the same thing?
>>
Don't wasn't to make my own thread, but are rawhides/antlers/whatever okay for cats? Would my cat give a shit if I gave him one?
>>
>>2022996

People use labs that just swallow their food without chewing as a basis for everything.
>>
>>2022996
rawhides like in OPs pic are from cows. it's extremely tough and not completely digestible in dogs so it can easily create an intestinal obstruction, which can cause death if you don't spend the money to have it surgically removed, which can be thousands of dollars

pig skins and bully sticks are better because they're much easier to digest/break down and have an extremely low chance of causing any issues. not to mention that dogs usually like them more. bones and stuff are good too, but you just have to be careful that they're not something too hard for your dog's teeth or that will splinter as they chew it, that's why I give my husky/staffie small antlers, I haven't heard much about them being bad if you get an appropriate size
>>
>>2023018
You are just about as bad a bugfag.
>>
>>2023029
notice how ausfag was gone the entire time bugguy was banned?

hmmm.
>>
>>2023030
come to think of it...yes
>>
>>2022959
Most people feed till the dog is full.

Yes, some dogs will eat until they puke, but MOST don't.
>>
>>2022939
That exact mindset is exactly why over half the dogs you see out there are overweight. Do whatever you want with your own dog, but you're an idiot for criticizing people who take the extra steps to ensure their dogs maintain a healthy weight. Also, I bet you're fat yourself.
>>
>>2024341
Uhh, what. Most people give their dogs a predetermined amount of food once or twice a day and leave it at that.

I've never heard of or seen anyone who puts food in a dog's bowl, waits for it to finish, then refills it and repeats.
>>
I didn't know rawhide was bad for dogs. My girl loves it and it keeps her occupied (aka not trying to herd me) while I clean the house.

She loves pig ears too but they're high in fat so I don't give them often.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.