[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the cheapest and easiest way to build a small natural pond?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Goals.jpg (112KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
Goals.jpg
112KB, 736x552px
I want a small pond in my backyard, with its own ecosystem I can observe.

I live in Tacoma Washington state, It rains a lot down here.
>>
A hole and a pond liner or preformed?
>>
>>2009630
dig hole at its deepest ~5' deep. Buy high quality pond liner so you don't ever have to replace it. Fill with hose water, throw some potted marginals in and let nature take its course. Since you are so far north, you have to dig deep otherwise the whole thing will freeze solid in the winter.
>>
File: lobelia.s5.1101.jpg (118KB, 800x840px) Image search: [Google]
lobelia.s5.1101.jpg
118KB, 800x840px
buy one of these pond tubs or whatever they're called put it in a hole and glue some rocks to it.
>>2009664
pond liner is a pain in the ass.
>>
File: NC_4_b.jpg (285KB, 775x505px) Image search: [Google]
NC_4_b.jpg
285KB, 775x505px
>>2009683
also you'll be wanting to make a waterfall-filter.

I prefer them over those clumsy box filters.
>>
>>2009684
Cant have a waterfall without using pond liner and the plastic ponds are not deep enough to have a good filtration system and cost way more than they are worth.
>>
>>2009733
there's plenty of deeper plastic ponds.

besides using some pond liner still a lot easier than making an entire pond out of it.
>>
Stock tanks are a good alternative to store bought perform ponds if you don't mind the shape.
Rubbermaid makes tanks ranging from 50 to 300 gallons.

Here's a talk you might be interested in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEnv3QWLIMw
>>
Fill a kiddie pool with water and wait.
>>
You could also bury a sturdy plastic garbage can and stick a few logs in it so critters can get in and out.
It won't take up much space and will probably be more stable than more shallow ponds.
>>
What's the name of a pond you leave up entirely to nature to take care of?
I thought it was the kind called "natural", guess I was wrong.
>>
>>2009740
a preformed pond will not get you the required depth for preventing a full freeze through.

You will need at least 3-5' in the pond to prevent it from becoming an ice cube tray.
>>
>>2009864
that's considering OP lives somewhere where it freezes hard.

and if he has fish, because it wouldn't matter much to a modern filter system.
>>
File: tacoma temp.png (39KB, 600x344px) Image search: [Google]
tacoma temp.png
39KB, 600x344px
>>2009872
OP here, the thing is tacoma is on the puget sound and it doesn't really get that cold around here. not as cold as you guys may think

pic related
>>
>>2009858
this is definitely more what I'm looking for
>>
>>2009888
one of those plastic tubs should be fine then.
>>2009890
small ponds without filter always end up looking like shit, you'll need something bigger if you want it to work.
>>
>>2009858
>>2009890
You don't need filters or pumps if you have aquatic plants and aren't planning on keeping large fish, but the water agitation helps to keep any scrum from forming on the surface of your pond.
>>
>>2009897
doesn't work in small ponds either.
>>
>>2009902
What do you mean? Plants will keep water quality in check. It might not look crystal clear, but it'll be safe for any small creatures.
>>
>>2009942
does it seem to you like OP wants to start a water flea colony?
>>
>>2009947
What's wrong with water fleas?

Either way frogs and other animals will find their way to a small pond and there are smaller species of fish that he could put in during the warmer months.
>>
>>2009966
nothing they're just as interesting as having no pond at all.

I used to sell them.

it'll be a shitty pond unless it''s wide or deep and you know it.
>>
>>2009968
When I typed small ponds I was thinking stock tanks. A fifty to hundred gallon stock tank pond with tadpoles and small fish would be plenty interesting.
>>
>>2009982

>fifty to hundred gallon pond

SStop.
Just stop.
Please stop.
>>
>>2009891
how big we talking than, i got some decent space
>>
>>2009986
Go fuck a koi.
>>
>>2010034
da koi boi
>>
Deep hole guy here. What I think you're trying to make is a container water garden. Check it out. Cheap and easy. Will attract what frogs and insects can get into it. Can't hold fish worth shit but you can grow lilies and cattails in them. A "natural" wildlife pond is more work than you think.
>>
>>2009968
Then why did you suggest getting a plastic tub pond ? They are not wide or deep.
>>
>>2009630
OP I suggest that you go to youtube and watch some videos. They have some really good ones that show how to set up ponds and filter systems instead of listen to people on /an/ going back and forth
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.