[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I impulsively bought a female veiled chameleon yesterday. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: echo.jpg (90KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
echo.jpg
90KB, 540x960px
I impulsively bought a female veiled chameleon yesterday. I've never owned a reptile before and I understand chameleon's are high maintenance animals and I have a lot to learn. I bought her a Zoo Med Repti Breeze Chameleon Kit from PetCo (same store where I bought her) as well as a kind of bendy branch thing (also fake) a moving water source, a mister and a humidity gauge. I've been feeding her crickets and mealworms, but she doesn't seem to be touching the mealworms. The temperature fluctuates between 65 degrees and 90 degrees, but I try to keep it above 75 at all times, but it's difficult. The humidity drops under 50 if I don't mist it constantly. Advice? Suggestions? Am I doing anything wrong? I don't want to kill her. P.S. She's extremely fucking mean and won't let anyone get close to her without hissing or trying to bite them, including me.
>>
>>2007092
you're fucked.
or more accurately, that chameleon is fucked and you're an idiot.
>>
>>2007094
WHY??? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO MEAN AND SO VAGUE. TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT
>>
fuck it i'll ask reddit
>>
please let this be bait

>trying to measure temperature and humidity in an OPEN AIR CAGE
>EXPECTING IT TO BE DIFFERENT THAN THE ROOM IN WHICH IT IS LOCATED

are you literally retarded
>>
>>2007097
umm are you retarded if i have heat lamps on top of the cage and spray water all over the inside of the cage then obviously the heat and humidity is going to be different inside the enclosure, hence why my thermostat in my room is not the same as the thermostat inside the enclosure and neither is the humidity gauge
>>
I even have a heater directly in front of the enclosure to keep it in the high 70's and low 80's, the problem I'm having currently is it'll get to 90 degrees but the humidity will be low so I will mist it, then the temperature will drop to 75ish and the humidity will be perfect, so i'm having a lot of trouble keeping the temperature and humidity up at the same time. do you think you can not be little fucks for 2 minutes and give me real advice
>>
>>2007098

don't get defensive, use your brain. why do you think you have to constantly adjust for humidity in a wire mesh cage? why do you think temperature is so variable?

this isn't that complex a question.
>>
>>2007092
what the fuck man.. how can you be this stupid? you never impulse buy an animal. this isn't you at the store impulse buying a pair of jeans because you think they make your ass look nice and then end up in the closet for rest of existence. this is a living, breathing animal. an animal that will live 5-10 years and will rely on you and you alone to tend to it's every need. you're a fucking idiot for not doing research and having all the preparations taken care of prior to the purchase. fuck you. I hope you die a long and painful death.
>>
>>2007096
>fuck it i'll ask reddit
this.
/an/ doesn't offer solutions, only criticism.
>>
you guys are such pieces of shit obviously i care about my pet seeing as i'm seeking advice to take better care of her. for now she has a wire meshed cage and maybe in time i will get her a cage i think is more fitting. how about some better advice than "you're an idiot" either direct me to a good humidifier, give me advice on food, advice on exactly what temperatures and humidity levels would be appropriate day vs. night, and let me know if it is possible for her to become more docile. i'm fine with her being an antisocial female for the entire duration of being with her because i am an antisocial female myself and don't really care if i never get to hold her, but it would be cool if i could eventually.
>>
>>2007104
>why doesn't everybody on this board spoonfeed me shit i'm too retarded to google on my own, even though I should have learned months prior to owning a pet

kill yourself. no really. do it.
>>
>>2007105
because i've googled it and gotten so many mixed answers i wanted to talk to someone one on one. you're so hateful for no reason and it's pathetic. probably a 12 year old kid who didn't get enough love from mommy.
>>
>>2007106
nice edgy shitpost. feel free to kill yourself at your earliest convenience, retard.
>>
>>2007107
confirmed 12 y/o
>>
>>2007108
i hear they sell ropes at walmart. scurry along now.
>>
>>2007106
Not that guy, but this is an extremely slow board. Most people are gone during this time. Just look at the time intervals on the catalog.
>>
>>2007104
the problem with wire mesh is it doesn't insulate, so the heat and the humidity are allowed to escape.

you need a glass or plastic enclosure stat. That's the only way you're going to stabilize temp and humidity.

apologies for lack of help here, /an/ is just a couple people. You'll have far better luck on dedicated reptile forums.
>>
>>2007113
>you need a glass or plastic enclosure stat.
those are shit for chameleons.
>>
>>2007140
maybe, but it will solve OP's problems and nobody itt has bothered to suggest anything better.
>>
>>2007144
>The temperature fluctuates between 65 degrees and 90 degrees
you can easily raise the temperature with some heating wire.
>The humidity drops under 50 if I don't mist it constantly.
a automated mister.

is this really so hard.
>>
>>2007092
ok so firstly, you fucked up. no two ways about it

now that thats out of the way I'm going to attempt to make this better

first I need a pic of the whole cage, to see what your climbing furniture looks like

trying to accurately measure the temp inside the cage is more or less a futile effort since its open air. What you want to do is make sure your cham has an easily accessible perch underneath your heat lamps so she can bask.
I also hope you have a UVB lamp, if you don't get one ASAP

as far as the humidity is concerned, the easiest option (and also the most expensive) is to get an automated mister. otherwise you're going to have to deal with misting the cage 3- however many times per day. She probably won't ever drink from the fountain so you have make sure it gets misted

If you just got her, I'm surprised she's eating at all honestly. She needs time to settle in so don't worry about it too much right now. Just keep offering

Lastly, seeing as she's a pet store cham, you may never get to hold or touch her. Over time she may grow to trust you more, but that could be quite some time.
>>
>>2007510
This. Post a picture of the setup OP, an di'll tell you what to change to fix it.
>>
>>2007140
How so? Not OP or interested in buying a chameleon, just curious.
>>
>>2007537
lack of ventilation.

problem with chameleons is that they need both humidity and ventilation, and those things don't go well together.
>>
>>2007537
chameleons are kind of paradoxical to keep because they need tons of airflow, but also high humidity
stagnant air makes them contract respiratory illnesses
>>
>>2007510
I think I might give her away, obviously this is too fucking much for me to handle. It's kind of fucking stupid that she'll never want to climb on me either. So thanks for all your great advice you bitter fucks.
>>
>>2007550
>I think I might give her away
best decision you've made so far. do it.

everyone is shitting on you because you can't grasp the obvious.
>>
>>2007541
it isn't so bad if you live in an old house.

my last house had an average humidity of like 80% without trying to raise it.
>>
>>2007550
yes it clearly is, i gave you the way to make it better and if thats too much work/money its clearly for the best.
I'd suggest you see if the petstore will take her back

and we're only bitter fucks because of people like you who impulse buy animals and have literally no idea what they're doing
>>
>>2007584
Same here. The room I have my turtle in is a steady 75% without any effort.
>>
>>2007550
Just take back to pet store. It happens and pet stores are notorius for not preparing buyers when it comes to delicate animals like chams.

Sort of to put this in perspective, you basically impulse bought a clown fish and anemone then came on internet to ask how to in to salt water aquariums. Get yourself a leopard gecko or something (do research first and setup tank first before buying actual critter).
>>
How's the chameleon op?
>>
I put money down that OP is a female.
>>
>>2010237
>I put money down that OP is a female.

>>2007104
>i'm fine with her being an antisocial female for the entire duration of being with her because i am an antisocial female myself

Nice one
>>
>>2007104
for real you can't figure this out unless you post on reddit or 4chan? quit bitching and either return the lizard or google it yourself.
>>
>impulsively bought

Stopped reading there. You should impulsively buy a cup of apple seeds to eat next time
>>
File: 1431976760454.jpg (49KB, 422x495px) Image search: [Google]
1431976760454.jpg
49KB, 422x495px
>>2007109
>not suggesting electrical cored/ belt.
>>
>>2007102
The solution is for her to return the chameleon and never be this stupid again.

>>2007104
See the above solution. If you cared, you would've researched beforehand. Fuck off.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.