[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career Advice, don't know what to choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: ea8615d9e68affd61538a7581fadb895.jpg (376KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ea8615d9e68affd61538a7581fadb895.jpg
376KB, 1920x1080px
I'm 23 years old, all of my pre-reqs are done for school - and I live at home with my rents. I'm stumped, I don't know what direction to head in. I was enrolled in a CS major for money and the quality work/life balance that it was supposed to supply, but was unaware of the nonstop learning and passion the people in that industry have and want you to share as well.
I'm not like that, I want to run my 40 hours and go home and have never had an interest in anything that actually made me gravitate towards its subject material. I don't need to make much now that I realize it either, $35,000 yearly is all I need to live comfortably as I'm not one to have kids nor am I interested in marriage and my spending habits are incredibly tame.
I don't know what to do, not in the least. Should I finish up school while I'm figuring out what to do? Pick a degree that's more 'big picture' orientated, like logistics management? I recall when I was programming, a lot of my peers would love to dive into the nitty gritty. They'd talk about all the tools and frameworks meant to get the job done, but I only cared about getting the program finished. Seeing the project through is what mattered to me, not "Wow, so glad we used angular instead of react to finish this!".
Should I join the military to buffer another 4 years until I figure out a direction? My issue with this is, I can only do this for so long, I need to figure out a direction and stick to it. I'm 23 already, I have to get my shit sorted immediately.
A massive thank you to any two cents you can throw my way, I'm stranded out here and if someone can shoot up a faint beacon or two to sail this ship towards smoother waters would be much appreciated.
>>
>>18729528
I'm a programmer myself, it's a nice enough job and you can make a decent amount of money. But if you don't have a deep interest in the tech I totally get why it weirds you out. If you do want to work in CS, then avoid younger companies / startups. Go for companies with older staff (with families), they'll have a culture that suits you better.

Taking time off to figure stuff out is always an option, but I'm honestly not sure if four years in the military will give you much extra outside perspective. You'll be busy, distracted, and surrounded by guys all headed in the same direction.

FWIW, I worked as a volunteer in the UK for half a year and that gave me a hell of a lot of perspective, meeting people from all over the world.
>>
>>18729807

How'd you score a volunteer gig in the UK? I'd be interested in something like that.
>>
>>18729838
If you find a UK charity, they can usually help with paperwork and visas and that sort of thing. We've had a few other Americans.

I volunteered at an outdoor activity center. Volunteers were all 18 - 25 year olds, from all around the world, living on site, delivering activities to young people.

PS: Drinking age is 18 in the UK, parties are lit.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.