[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Staying motivated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

Does anyone have those momentary evening moments when you listen to some music, you contemplate on your life, get plenty of motivation to do something other than being on your PC, and then... you go to sleep, you wake and all of that is gone?

Then it starts all over.

What kind of motive has been of best help to you?
>>
Yup. I've gotten to the point where when I get those rare random boosts of motivation I drop whatever it was I was doing and immediately jump on doing as much as I can as long as I can until the motivation wears off. Second I even get the inkling, the mere thought of "doing this necessary but otherwise boring thing doesn't feel like the end of the world at this second" I take advantage. Even if I was in the middle of something else. I wouldn't just go to sleep, even if I was tired, I'd get shit done until it wore off and then go to sleep.

But, those bursts are rare and don't always correspond with due dates.
For me the stick just seems to be a better motivator than the carrot, unfortunately. Whenever I have like, school work for example, I usually put it off till the last minute, which stresses me the fuck out, and that stress and fear of failure is the motivation to kick my ass into gear and start studying/working.
I have my calendar out on my wall, very prominently displayed so I cannot ignore it. When I see something is due the next day my thought process is usually as such:
>If I don't turn that assignment in on time, I'll fail the class
>If I fail the class, I'll have wasted the $600+ I paid for it.
>If I fail the class I'll have to retake the class, meaning I'll miss my graduation date and have to spend even more money on my degree.
> I don't have any more money, therefore I'll just have to drop out and never get my degree, and therefore I'll be forced to do slave wage jobs for the rest of my life, having to choose between food and electricity every other month, and never having any savings for emergencies and such.
Then I scare myself so much I just get the fucking work done so I don't have to live in that state of existential dread.

Is it exaggerated? Yes. It's not very healthy either, I don't exactly recommend it, but it works. Fear has always been a very effective form of motivation tho. That's why politicians and religion uses it to control the masses
>>
That's the problem with motivation, it never lasts. What you want it discipline - it lets you do anything motivation helps with regardless of your state of mind. What you want to do in order to see real progress is to become better at creating good habits. It doesn't matter if you start off small, what's important is that you create a routine and just stick to it, then just incrementally increase the intensity.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.