[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid question but I lived in the South all my life, so I am

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: gudetama-Favim.com-3385684.jpg (9KB, 215x185px) Image search: [Google]
gudetama-Favim.com-3385684.jpg
9KB, 215x185px
Stupid question but I lived in the South all my life, so I am an idiot when it comes to winter/ice.

If I rent one of the (non-heated) garages at my apartment, would that keep my car's windows from icing and negate the need to scrape/defrost the windows each morning?
>>
>>18728675
My garage is connected to my house, so the heat from the house keeps the garage warm enough that I've never had to scrape ice off from there. I don't know what the situation is if the garage is a separate building.

You should still have an ice scraper/snow brush in your car though, in case you need it if you keep your car parked at work or something for hours while it's snowing.
>>
>>18728690
Oh, also you'll probably still need to clear at least part of you driveway in the morning to get your car out, assuming that's not taken care of by some apartment service.
>>
>>18728690
They're an individual row, so not attached to a heating building. So it's like a row of 12 garages, across from the apartments.

>>18728693
They take care of it somewhat. It's an apartment complex, so they do plow it.... sort of. Sometimes they plow it and trap the cars in. Gives me a place to keep a shovel.
>>
>>18728675
I've honestly never had an issue so long as my car was covered to some degree. Like, even parking in my carport does the trick for me, but I also don't live far north.

You can try one of those car cover things too, but I think those are just as much of a bitch as defrosting personally.
Honestly I just got into the habit of going out and starting my car before breakfast, go back inside to finish eating/making coffee, and then by the time I come back out it's warm enough to have melted the ice. (And I get a warm car.)
Though this is because I have the liberty of renting a house rather than an apartment, so my car is right outside my door and I can keep an eye on it to know it's not gonna get stolen or something. So if you have to park in a garage that's a 5 minute walk from your apartment then that's probably not helpful to ya.

>>18728693
Also this.

The one downside to renting a house that has mostly street parking is the fact the snow plows can't get the whole street, due to cars always being parked down both sides. So you have to shovel your own little space out in front of your house, AND THEN SOME FUCKING JACKASS ACROSS THE STREET STARTS PARKING THERE REEEE. Niggers won't just shovel their own fucking spaces out.
>>
>>18728705
How north are you? I'm in the midwest (Nebraska). The wind from being in the prairie seems to make it worse.
I rush so quickly in the morning and have a bad habit of oversleeping and end up having to rush (I can sleep through alarms, it is fucking awful). I don't make breakfast or coffee. My routine is just get up, dress, run. I also live on the third floor so it's a bit irritating to go in/out. And I dislike leaving the car running. I did this when I lived in a house last winter, but it took far longer to defrost than 10 minutes.
>>
File: BMW_1_series_outdoor_carcover.jpg (396KB, 1707x1280px) Image search: [Google]
BMW_1_series_outdoor_carcover.jpg
396KB, 1707x1280px
>>18728723
Midwest, we used to get ice/snow pretty bad before climate change completely fucked our whole season cycles, but the past couple years haven't been too bad admittedly. I'm more southern midwest currently for school so ice has been even less of an issue. We got one horrific storm bad enough to shut down campus for like a whole week once 3 years ago, that's about it.

The best solution is probably the one you just don't wanna hear though, you're just gonna have to give yourself more time in the morning during the winter months.
Look into alarm clocks for the deaf if you seem to be sleeping through traditional audio based alarms. A lot of them have vibrating features that will literally shake your bed. (They can be pricey though, hundred-couple hundred bucks for good ones, so might be an investment if you think the problem is that bad.)
Also the obvious, just train yourself to go to bed as early as you can so waking up early isn't as big a chore.

Or the easiest thing I can think of is getting something like pic related. All the ice will form on the cloth, therefore you can just spend a couple minutes each morning ripping that thing off your car and shoving it in your back seat, and then putting it back on each night.
>>
>>18728675
minnesotafag here

frost comes from humidity. if the garage is well insulated, youll be good. otherwise just use a credit card.
>>
>>18728759
I DONT WANT TO SCRAPE REEEEE
>>
>>18728753
I like the magnet one that just covers the windshield. Doing the whole car seems like a hassle and I don't want nogs thinking that I'm hiding a Roles Royce.
>>
>>18729101
What is this? Magnet one?
>>
I have lived in Minnesota for 10 years. Never had a covered or heated parking. Never scraped the windows. If it snows, I get ready ten minutes early, syrat the car and let defrost on at full heat. Help it with wiper fluid.
Downside: you end up buying one or two extra bottles of wiper fluid, and you may have to change the wipers after 2-3 years. Iamokaywithit.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.