[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Relationship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

So Ive been seeing this girl and fell for her hard. We're still getting to know each othe. And we just had an argument over the phone about Islam.
Her and her room mate were both arguing with me (neither are religious). I'm a militant athiest. And I don't buy into the whole PC culture of pretending like there isn't an issue with Islam. I think Islam is a violent religion with violent teachings. They were battering me with their point of view basically stating that I'm ignorant and generalizing all muslims etc. Saying that it's entirely political and has nothing to do with the ideology. I know not all muslims are terrorists, but I believe there is a specific issue with a specific religion right now. Anyway, I'm not here to argue my viewpoints with anyone on here, I already did that with her. So her room mate left and the argument fizzled out. We tried our best to agree to disagree on some points. We then spoke for 2 more hours about all sorts of lovey dovey stuff. I was broken inside though. I was hurting. Talking to her didn't feel the same. It's like my image of her was shattered. She was such a beautiful soul up until that moment. I think she was enjoying the conversation but inside I was dying. I couldn't feel anything for her anymore. And I hated it. If we hadn't had that conversation I would have still seen her the same way. But so many of the things her and her roomate said to me sounded so uneducated. I just wanted to feel love for this girl again but I couldn't. I don't know what to do now. I'm heartbroken. I don't want to judge her based on this but I can't help it. Fighting radical ideology is such a huge part of my life and has been for years. How do I see past this so I can see her as the sweet kind hearted girl I met? I know she's still that sweet girl but it's literally like that was erased from my brain. I can't see it anymore, I can't feel it anymore. Please help me revert back to the admiration and love I felt for this girl.
>>
>>18727072
You don't. You two seem fairly incompatible just be glad you found out now.
>>
Sounds like your problem is that you're basically a fundamentalist. I can see you having issues with Islam in its modern form (and I agree that too many Muslims are conservative enough that they're uncomfortable with bedrock Western liberal values), but your blanket assertions and the emotional devastation you're showing at any kind of pushback tell me that your opinions are coming from an emotional place rather than a rational one.
>>
Is that really incompatible?I feel like my mind is conditioned to be so jundgemental. I feel as though I should be able to see past this :(
But I really struggle with it.
>>
>>18727094
You could be right. What kind of emotional place do you think it comes from? Sounds silly asking you since it's about me haha. But I really dont know
>>
>>18727072
What did you really expected?! Advocate to "oppressed miniorities" is trendy nowadays even if they would love to see your head separeted from your body.

You have two choices, stop making a big deal out of it, or find a girl who can build her own thoughts.
>>
you lost respect for her because she's too moronic to respect herself by thinking for herself. try to cut her some slack and focus on her good qualities
>>
>>18727101
Fear. It's a common thing, because Muslims are so different in outlook, dress and the depth of their piety. They believe in God in a way Europeans really haven't in nearly 500 years. Plus, they did 9/11 and formed ISIS. That's pretty fucking scary.

Thing is, that's all it is - scary. It doesn't cut to the heart of why Islam is an unworkable worldview or why it fails logical self consistency in its most common forms. Do you know about the history of Islam and its relationship with modernity? Do you know its basic tenents beyond what you glean from /pol/ or the news? Have you spoken to any Muslims about it and what their faith means to them?

It doesn't sound like you're engaged in the battle of ideas. It sounds like you're reacting with your gut and missing the woods for the trees.

Western values and especially the Internet are eroding what it once meant to be a Muslim. Talk to just about any Iranian and they will tell you about the drinking, partying and sex that goes on in Tehran behind closed doors. Talk to a Pakistani and they'll tell you the same thing. Islam is evolving, just like Christianity had to in the face of the Enlightenment. The West is winning the battle of ideas and winning hard. The backlash in the Islamic world wouldn't be so hard if it weren't so.

If Islam had never happened and the Middle East were filled with Jews and Monophysite Christians, we'd be talking about nationalistic terrorism in the Levant and how it's a menace that could come and kill us all. The problem isn't Islam, it's backwardness.
>>
>>18727239
>Islam is evolving
Best laugh of the week, thanks.
>>
>>18727239
>The problem isn't Islam, it's backwardness.

I agree - this backwardness is present in lot of Eastern societies (I am originally from one, and have mild experience with a few), but Islam specifically is a vehicle for that backwardness. It has unique mechanics that specifically prevent it from being reformed and jettisoning the ass-backwards philosophies and practices.

Regarding cultural exchange, Muslims may change, but Islam will not. All it takes is another hair-trigger revolution like in 1970's Iran, predicated on the widely and deeply invested theology of the quran (by muslims), and a large swath is already instantly teleported back to the dark ages.

>>18727072
I'm willing to bet that as an atheist, you hold it against Christianity for their hyper judgmental fundamentalists, right? Well, you are functionally behaving exactly the same, but with a different belief structure. Perhaps this thought could help you get some psychological movement

Apart from this, some understanding can help acceptance. You surely know that Leftism is in vogue and the default philosophy for the modern West. In a sense, it's not her fault for thinking those things. Further, you seem to like her because of her sweet heart, which implies empathy. Highly empathic/agreeable people are drawn to Leftist ideology because of the victim codelling involved. In other words, its her temperament.

Lastly, I could say, just because she thinks a certain way now, doesn't necessarily mean she cane think something else later. You could try very subtly influence her into seeing the truth over time. But at the same time, accepting her as she is now; understanding that her position comes from her good heart.
>>
File: Islam_Traditional_Dress.jpg (60KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
Islam_Traditional_Dress.jpg
60KB, 600x399px
>>18727239
yeah that, or maybe, just maybe, they want their goddamn countries back
>>
File: 6-isis-1.w710.h473.2x.jpg (119KB, 1413x942px) Image search: [Google]
6-isis-1.w710.h473.2x.jpg
119KB, 1413x942px
>>18727344
>yeah that, or maybe, just maybe, they want their goddamn countries back

Islam has been such totalitarian cultural force in many societies for so long that I doubt there is any sense of identity to a preceding culture.

There is only the Ummah.
>>
If you really respect her and want to understand why she is very firm on her grounds, read the Qur'an to understand Islam from its source.
If you think that is not necessary, and that your views of Islam is concrete, just leave her. Now that you realize your fundamental belief and hers are different, your relationship will only get downwards.
>>
>>18727355
good for you

>>18727368
>If you really respect her and want to understand why she is very firm on her grounds, read the Qur'an to understand Islam from its source.
careful what you tell people to do. some of us actually listen
>>
>>18727383
>good for you

What?
>>
>>18727094
Muslims themselves over on liberal shithole reddit declare their religion is unchangeable because otherwise it would get "destroyed" by western values. I'm not OP but I like current western values much better than islam. You're saying I should let muslims shit all over the values that make my life good and let them make my life horrible, oppressed and disgusting just because they tend to have darker skin than mine?
>>
>>18727239
>It doesn't cut to the heart of why Islam is an unworkable worldview or why it fails logical self consistency in its most common forms

Well I like eating pork, italian pork products are fucking delicious. Most divine thing in the world. Islam hasn't given me any reason why I shouldn't eat such a delicious, wonderful thing. "God said so" is not a valid reason to me, because for all I know "God" is a lie muslims made up to control me and I don't want that. I want to do what I want and what I want to do is eat pork, freely, as much as I please whenever I please however I please. This upsets muslims and makes them want to be able to get rid of me, violently if necessary, or alternatively make it impossible for me to find and eat pork according to my wishes, which is just as bad, because it's an oppression of my freedom. All because they believe something that might not exist said "Pork is bad" and they can't stand the idea of someone that does exist saying "No, fuck that, that's wrong. Pork is good." This gets them frothing at the mouth and calling death to the blasphemer. True for pork, true for any other thing I consider good while they think is bad. They're a threat to my life, my quality of life and my well-being, and a threat to the life, the quality of life, and the well-being of anyone who disagrees with their religion.

This is why islam is an unworkable worldview.
>>
File: islam subreddit 09-16-2017.jpg (109KB, 1037x527px) Image search: [Google]
islam subreddit 09-16-2017.jpg
109KB, 1037x527px
>>18727438
Secular government in Tunisia lifts ban on muslim women marrying non-muslims, this is what muslims have to say about it. They're horrified women can marry whoever they want.

I'm terrified knowing these people live in the west, they would oppress and torment the life out of all non-muslims if they could do that just like they do in muslim countries. They don't care for separation of church, they don't care for live and let live. Either you comply or you get oppressed until you die.
>>
i think everyone realizes that islam is trash sooner or later
>>
>think religion is dogshit, but also I have nothing against religious people as long as they're okay with the idea that I don't want any
>suddenly berated for disliking Islam, even though it explicitly violates the aforementioned clause

your brain has done you a real solid, worry not
>>
>>18727072
dont be a militant atheist you tard. problem solved.
>>
>>18728886
Atheism is not the issue here. He said his gf is also not religious. I bet op has no problem with budhism or christianity or judaism or shamanism or whatever else. The issue at hand is islam.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.