[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fast career change/ caring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

(1/2)

I'm a 30 year old animator, my last job was at a shitty game studio, had to go on unemployment because they couldn't pay us. I can't get another job, and before that job I had struggled for 2 years to get full time work. That was after getting a master's degree.

I have major depression and don't know if I care to live after my money runs out. I have enough to last 2-3 months.

I'm considering trying to learn a coding/ programming language like Python in hopes that I can either change discipline within my industry or change careers entirely. But I don't know if that or any other new career path is feasible in that short of a time. Would I actually be able to learn enough to qualify for a real job?

What happens when the money runs out would have to be something like a minimum wage job, putting most of my stuff in storage, moving somewhere with cheap rent, hoping I get insurance at that job or going on medicaid, working my ass off, training more after hours, maybe having to move in with one of my parents.

I already went to 7 years of school and carry way too much debt. I have major depression and can't get hope or motivation, all I see is another couple months of feeling exhausted and hopeless and spending that time futilely trying to learn programming. I can't get myself to care about trying hard again, after all the school I've already done. "Staying alive" doesn't motivate me. I'm on meds and see a therapist weekly. Nothing seems to work which makes me even more hopeless. No matter how much effort I put into something, it never translates to success or stability. All of the above makes me think I'll end it when I run out of money instead of living out a shit life.
>>
File: 1413498362427.jpg (81KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1413498362427.jpg
81KB, 612x612px
>>18726549
(2/2)

Alternatively instead of studying I could spend this time working on my mental health ONLY. That would mean finding enjoyment and meaning probably, and it might eventually include studying. The point would be to care about living by the time I run out of money, so there might be something to fight for.

But if in 2-3 months I could learn something that will translate directly into a normal career, it would skip the necessity of the additional struggle and moving and getting a job bagging groceries and still not being able to afford my bills. Having confidence that my actions would be useful and translate to security and stability could motivate me through it.

I dunno what the question is. Any experience with this kind of stuff? Any thoughts on what to try?
>>
Learn C and start living differently. If you want some real, fix your financial shit advice i have this to say.
Buy a conversion van, throw a bed in it, and fucking live in it while you learn C. Put your shit in a storage unit for 20-60 a month and live in that motherfucking van bills free save your money. Get a $10/mo gym membership for showers and excersize if you want to. While you do this you could potentially travel around a bit, see some of the country you have not seen yet while retaining your ability to learn C. If you aren't on foodstamps yet, get on them. Then you don't have to worry about food. If you do this your bills can be as low as $200/mo with phone internet gym membership storage unit and car insurance.
I lived this way while I became a musician. Had more money than ever before, paid all 25k of my student loans in a couple of years and set myself up with connections all over the country. It's not a cure for depression but it will help if you can get out and do some shit in nature. You're already miserable. Take a step out of your comfort zone and see where it takes you.
>>
>>18726601
Not OP, but this makes me a bit more hopeful
>>
>>18726549
I'd suggest you study Scheme as your first(Or second) language.
You can begin with the book called "Little Schemer" and use https://scheme.cs61a.org/ to write your programs on.
Later on graduate to the other 2 Schemer books in the series, then to HTDP and SICP.
Somewhere in between you can begin your study of C.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.