[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I joined one of the biggest companies in the world in a very

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I joined one of the biggest companies in the world in a very highly technical position.

I am a new college graduate who interned in a parallel field in a different company.

All of the engineers in my team and all parallel teams are very highly accomplished and from the top 10 universities in the US.

My university doesn't even feature in the top 200 in the US. I got lucky with the call up and prepared very hard for the interview. What I want to say is that I'm not the smartest guy in the room.

Problem is, Its been 2 months already and I haven't learnt anything. I've got a mentor from the east (Im from the east too) who barely helps me, if at all. It is hard for me to understand what is happening.

What am I supposed to do. I thought of going to the manager and telling him that the thing with the mentor isn't working out. English isn't my first language and am already shitting myself. Is it appropriate to go and tell him something like this?

I've got a bad case of imposter syndrome right now. I just feel I got lucky with the interviews and didn't really deserve it. :S
>>
I've heard so many stories about grads at these big companies learning fuck all and the jobs being a great disappointment. They tend to be a relatively cheap way of getting the shit that no one else wants to do done; a friend of a friend is a grad at a big law firm and all she does is proofread documents. Your experience is par for the course, from what I've heard.
>>
>>18726435
Isn't that what interns are for? They are paying me way too much money for me to sit on my ass and do nothing. I'm pretty sure I'm getting fired after three months.I mean nobody is telling me anything on how to do my work. I went around to 2-3 people who were very terse and didn't want to be bothered.
>>
don't say that the mentor is not working
ask the manager to teach you things
ask your coworkers to teach you things
>>
>>18726459

I meant to say that the partnership with the mentor isn't working out. I can't ask my manager since he is busy with his meetings. Having a dedicated mentor is good because at least he'll have some incentive to explain stuff right.
>>
>>18726426
The low faith you have in yourself makes me really sad. Sad thread.
>>
pls respond
>>
>>18726453
Grads are just a step above interns. I don't know of anyone who has stuck around longer than a year or two.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.