[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homeopathy - meme or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1505504197035.jpg (72KB, 800x350px) Image search: [Google]
1505504197035.jpg
72KB, 800x350px
I have heard about homeopathy recently and how it >supposedly< does wonders for people who have bad health.
For example, you have problems with digestive system, immunity, neurological problems, allergies, mental problems all at the same time.
You see one type of doctor for one thing, he gives you one drug. But this drug fucks up another thing.
So then you visit another doctor, and he gives you another drug and this drug messes up something else.
So the circle closes, and you are left with more ilnesses than you had to begin with.
Now, supposedly homeopathy works like that: you visit a homeopathy doctor, you give him all your problems and he alone cures all of them.

But on the other hand I have read that the drugs given by homeopaths are basically not doing anything and it's just a placebo effect.

Have anyone here ever tried homeopathy? Who should I believe? Is homeopathy just a meme?
>>
It does help. Mainly because the placebo effect is extremely real.
>>
>>18725423
But if I know something is a placebo effect, it never works.
Hell, things that are supposed to be placebo effect that I know that about them don't work on me.
I think I have a bs barrier.
>>
>>18725427
Yeah, that's the joke. You fucked up by not being a moron who believes everything without research.
>>
I was actually told by my psychologist to visit a homeopath. So one pseudoscientist recommended another pseudoscientist?
>>
>>18725454
>You fucked up by not being a moron who believes everything without research.
:D This made me chuckle actually.
>>
>>18725420
The placebo effect is real for almost everyone (even when they know it is a placebo) for anything subjective like pain.

Homeopathy is magical thinking pseudoscience and can be very harmful, especially if you replace evidence-based therapies that will actually treat your condition with this dilution business. It is a huge industry that charges vulnerable people a lot of money for water. The products are not regulated nor controlled, so you actually have no idea what you are buying. There have been many scientific studies testing if homeopathy or holistic therapies more generally is effective, so there is a great deal of evidence that it is not. Some holisitic therapies are evidence based; for example ingesting peppermint oil is effective for IBS. These therapies are often recommended by physicians.

If you have a headache, go ahead and rub peppermint oil on your pressure points to alleviate the symptoms; it isn't actually doing anything, but it isn't harming you except financially. If you have cancer, don't rely on flower power and go for the chemotherapy.
>>
>>18725464
>If you have cancer, don't rely on flower power and go for the chemotherapy.

t. Jew
>>
>>18725420

hemeopathy is almost as big as 'medicine' its self as far as the term goes.

if someones sick you can say 'medicine will help' and while its a true idea, its not a true statement. lots of medicine is bull shit and lots of medicine just doesn't work and lots of illnesses dont have medicine.

homeopathy is the same idea really. it really just depends what your issue is. a lot of medicine has homeopathic parallels. for example you may take some aspirin when you arent feeling well, but did you know Apples also contain natural aspirin? the phrase 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' isn't just 'eat healthy'.

the same way that you might take vitamin C supplements to help fight a cold, the homeopathic version is to just eat more oranges and lemons.

most homeopathic remedies are, at their core, nutritionally dense food. and when you have health issues that aren't caused by a certain virus or bug the cause of bad health is simply not being healthy, so certain homeopathic cures work. you may take a bacteria producing powder to help with your stomach digestion isuses, but eating yogurt is the homeopathic parallel there.

just like with the FDA regulated medicine there is no cure all, there isn't a cure for everything. you arent going to walk in with cancer, be told to eat 5 onions a day and get better (usually).

in amreica we eat so poorly, we have sugary cereal for breakfast, and then fast food for lunch and for dinner mostly meat, which isn't bad in and of its self but oyu need things with real nutrition
>>
>>18725526
What you're describing isn't homeopathy, it sounds more like seeing a dietician (and nutrition science is just that, science). Oranges are certainly a better source of vitamin C than tablets because nutrients from food sources are more available than supplements. As a side note, the supplement industry is also a billion dollar industry, not very well regulated, and mostly a scam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy
>>
>>18725549

in the strict definition sure, but the colloquial use of the term has basically been used to describe fixing your diet in very specific areas, or sometimes using bi-products of those foods to help your ailments.
>>
>>18725420
Meme outside placebo effect.

Taking an ingredient and constantly diluting it with water will only reduce the effects that the ingredient has. Might as well drink a glass of water.
>>
>>18725420
It's a meme. Homeopathic products are literally just water or sugar pills. The idea is to give you very small amounts of a substance that causes the symptoms that you have in order to cure you. The whole practice is rooted in the idea what if a certain substances causes, for example, headaches, then giving it to you in small doses will cure headaches. Of course, this line of reasoning is illogical and unscientific, but it's what homeopathy claims.

There are two additional problems:
1) The properties that homeopaths ascribe to certain substances are usually not the actual properties of those substances. For example, they claim that plant XY has a certain effect on the liver, when it actually doesn't, they're just following traditional unproven claims.
2) Giving you a certain substance in very small does is done through a system of diluting that substance in water or lactose pills. However, it's been proven that the homeopathic system of diluting is so over the top that in a single lactose pill, you often won't be able to find a single molecule of the original substance. So you're literally just drinking water or eating sugar.

Now, homeopathy is a couple of centuries old, and the newer homeopaths are attempting to reform it by making even more ridiculous pseudoscientific claims, one of them including the water memory theory that implies that if a certain substance was in water, then that water will remember its properties even after the substance is removed, but these claims are also illogical and not supported by any science.

So yeah, it's a load of crap. If something works, it'll find it's way into conventional medicine. If it's not supported by an MD, it's almost certainly bullshit. Sick people often look for idealistic cures that are easy to apply. Taking a sugary pill is much more comfortable than chemotherapy and radiation, but fuck it, it's just a fantasy. Same goes for naturopathy and other "natural medicine".
>>
>>18725596
It's op. The first paragraph actually intrigued me. I had terrible immunity like few years ago, for 1,5 year.
Then a regular doctor prescribed me pills. Apparently those pills contained "dead bacteria" more or less.
Those bacteria were meant to cause small illnesses in me and cure me this way.
And they actually did, when I was taking them I was getting small coughs, small colds etc.
After 2 curations here I am today with muuuuuuch better immunity for colds and those regulare diseases. So IDK...
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.