[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Depression

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

So /adv/
My boyfriend fell back into depression and I don't know anymore what to do. His meds will take another week or two.
If someone has that, let me call it, fight depression greentext with a detailed dayplan, like get up at 8,shower, eat healty breakfast, do something yada yada yada, could you please post it or other advice?
>>
shower, eat, brush teeth, exercise or just do something as long as it's outside of your home

i used to like going fishing, or when i wasn't fishing i'd learn about techniques on how to catch certain fish etc
hiking, walks, go for drives
go to the movies

whatever you can come up with that sounds like it could be enjoyable
>>
>>18724303

depressed guy here. is it really so simple?
>>
File: Happy Birthday.jpg (114KB, 502x601px) Image search: [Google]
Happy Birthday.jpg
114KB, 502x601px
>>18724542
If you're not doing it then you should at least give it a try.
It helps a LOT, especially for the minor-mid tiers of depression.

General CBT advice:
Go outside, get whatever exercise you can bring yourself to do.
A walk around a park for 30 mins can make a difference.

Cook/buy yourself something nice to eat.
Not a carb+fats ready meal.

Give yourself small specific goals to achieve each week and each day.

Challenge any intrusive negative thoughts you have about yourself.
"If I can make someone smile then I can't be completely worthless."

Get away from social media bits and meet up with friends/people in meatspace.

If you don't have a job go volunteer, walking dogs at a shelter or something.
Feeling useful is such a game changer.
>>
>>18724275
>Feeling I'm nothing to everyone

yep that pretty much describes it
continue visiting him at least once a day. I dunno how to get someone out of depression but company helps after awhile
>>
>>18724275
>depression
nice meme. depression isn't real
>>
>>18724275
Does he regularly take his meds? Call a doc to give him some of whatever brand he takes cuz it is an emergency and two weeks are fucking awful if he is without it. This is if he has a regular brand and is not a n00b being diagnose. Hell I cant function more than a couple days without mine before withdrawing my society.
>>
>>18725823
Yet can be detected in some blood results?
>>
>>18725866
Someone can be angry and get higher.pressure. If I say he has chronic choleric disorder because he has high pressure....
>>
>>18725820
See >>18725823
>>
>>18725920

>pressure is the only measurable thing in blood
>>
>>18726073
>I can't into examples
>>
I've been in both situations. First of all, patience is a key. You can take care of yourself. Emotional health is not just about getting professional help when the scary things happen. It's a disease that affects everyone. It might be wise if you could get professional help for you. Depression can get really nasty when untreated, not only to the one that is actually suffering it. But the condition is really treatable. Don't judge yourself about the way he is feeling. Don't judge yourself for how you are feeling. Depression can be really really REALLY hard, but it's treatable and for the significant ones to the patient there is also a lot of resources that professionals can provide much better than the common 4chan users.
>>
>>18724275
I'm by no means an expert but I know a few guys that have / had some serious depressions and I can say one thing: meds won't help. They only temporarily numbed them and those people were feeling like shit at the end of the day anyway.
However, to get out of depression, one must realize why has it happened and then slowly try to unfuck themselves. This >>18725253
is a general advice for depressed people, it works most of the time. I would also add that it is especially important to get some help from friends or family. If you don't have any then you need to make some. This is where meds can help - they will help overcome one's anxiety.
>>
>>18727242
>meds won't help
Well they're doing a pretty good job of keeping me off of tall buildings and away from buying helium masks...

The drug route is just about as hit and miss as the talking therapies route.

Also:
>one must realize why has it happened
Sometimes your brain chemistry just nopes out.
100+ hours of therapists helping try to find a cause.
Endless days by myself trying to do the same.
Across over a decade of numbness and emptiness.
Not found any root cause, I just don't seem to be compatible with the world.
I just don't feel anything beyond fleeting transient moments.
>>
>>18727519
>Not found any root cause
So you are depressed without any obvious reason
>>18725253
>>
>>18727527
They're both me.

I suggest them because I know how much they have helped...
Just been getting progressively worse over time
>>
>>18727534
ahh

Here's a list of possible causes that I can think of : no friends / lack of friends / shitty friends, shitty partner, shitty job / no job (are you employed ?), childhood trauma / problems in school in the past or now, feeling miserable because you think you haven't accomplished anything in your life

Can you relate with any of these ?
>>
I have marked the day. I have made the plan.
>>
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.
- Dorothy Parker
>>
>>18727548
Have friends, mostly pretty decent ones (I distance from the shitty ones quite quickly)

Partner is pretty great, really supportive if sometimes a bit clueless.

Job atm is between DIY fixing up new house and working with a start-up in an interesting field when I have the energy.

No known childhood trauma.

Never too popular in school but always had some friends and it didn't really bother me.

>haven't accomplished anything in your life
Minor "wasted potential" hangup but I've kinda come to terms that I did as much as I could with health issues.
It also started well before that became a notable factor.
>>
File: 1504365125130.png (65KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1504365125130.png
65KB, 300x300px
>>18727582
Go on a trip to some nice place or generally try to do something that you appreciate. There's gotta be at least one thing that you have loved in the past, and if not, then try something new. Eventually you'll find some passion in your life.
Just don't sit on your ass, it won't help.
>>
12/21/2017
11:25pm
>>
>>18724275
Leave him. It's not going to get any better ever. Unless your fetish is playing a nurse or he is incredibly rich, you're just wasting your life. He might even get better after you stop enabling him. I'm not saying it's your fault but sometimes people are incompatible that way. Leave him.
>>
>>18727590
Went to Aus and Japan earlier this year...
Were kinda nice but only very transiently, back to feeling pretty shit by the time I'd got back to my room each evening.

Had passions, they were great until they joy drained from them like everything else, but even then mostly just distractions in the moment rather than something that helped properly.
Kinda running out of things to try that sound even vaguely interesting and don't cost an arm and a leg each time.
>>
>>18727606
Well shit man
I'm not a psychologist and I'm running out of ideas
..play vidya ? I recommend Witcher 3
>>
>>18727606
got any hobbies ?
>>
Shotgun
>>
>>18727610
shit game

i recommend dark souls
>>
>>18727610
>>18727621
Shit games

I recommend war thunder
>>
>>18727625
>>18727621
>>18727610
Those are all, pretty shitty games

I recommend The walking dead telltale series.
>>
>>18727610
Yeah, not trying to shoot you down or anything...
I've just tried everything I can think of shy of trying to get some purer psychedelics just as a shot in the dark.
(Even discussed this with a psychiatrist)

Vidya are a decent escapism if I can engage in them fully
but after a while they become a set of mechanics with programmatic responses.

Witcher was pretty good for sinking a couple hundred hours into, only minor issues with dialogue options.
Darksouls likewise... mostly griped with the matchmaking systems in those rather than dialogue though... obviously.

>>18727614
Currently?
A bit of vidya, some /tg/, a bit of LARP even.
some practical design projects, cooking if you can call it a hobby...
odd snips of philosophy/exploring new ideas,
pissing of SJW types by turning their arguments against them
Minor hiking.
...and also being a bit of a "friend-counsellor"

Most of these are in varying states of being exhausted though

Things I have done but now find little passion in:
Fire spinning & breathing
General circus skills
3d art/hard-crafts
"Mystic" bullshittery (cold reading etc)
Martial arts
/fit/
/a/nime
A fair bit of sciences, the last bits that interest me are hard to get a good explanation for and are largely beyond what I can manage to process anyway.
>>
>>18727625
>>18727633
>>18727635
War thunder was a bit disappointing.
Telltale can die in a fire...
I wish steam would let me list the whole developer as "not ever gonna be interested"
>>
>>18724275
Did his meds help before, and did he go back on them on his own decision? Because if both are a yes, he will likely beat it again.
>>
I might be depressed:
>fantasize about escaping my house, from parents, often while listening to music for hours
>have suicidal thoughts sometimes
>no drive to do anything intellectual, making college a hell (now I'm redoing second semester, I still have nearly no drive to learn)
>have no drive to water those few potted plants that I have water every day/two days, sometimes I don't bother watering them for days
>parents (specially father) and older brother shit on me/make jokes about me often
>they don't let me do stuff that they don't understand (I want to fast, they think I'm going to kill myself despite that I did two 2 days fasts and I was fine)
>parents gave no shits about me sitting at computer all day as a kid, now they complain why I do nothing else
>23 and just now got a some shit job because parents were overprotective about me getting a job involving heavy physical work
>can't handle stress
>grew up with parents that really didn't give much shit about my opinion
>no friends because computer addict and "weird kid" (was held a year in primary school because I wasn't talking and psychologist was a stupid cunt)
>feel like I'm trapped near my family
>feel that I will never see the world if I keep doing what parents want
>>
>>18727645
Take a bus to newyork or Chicago without telling them.
>>
>>18727635
your life is quite amazing man
how can you feel depressed with so much things to do ?
>>
>>18727655
Not a American, though.
I think about driving to nature park on weekend after exams (maybe I will be able to get some free days from work).
In best case, I would have three, four days to go hiking and fasting at same time and sleeping in nature or in car.
>>
>>18727638
Really? Twd had a lot of nice features and replayability, I thought. It's my favorite game. It's the only game that I have
>>
>>18727664
Run away from home it's fun.
>>
>>18727664
that would be nice
just don't get eaten by a fucking bear, bring a shotgun or at least a large knife lol
>>
>>18727658
If I knew how/why then I'd fix it.
Which is why the apparent lack of cause irritates me at times

Gonna speak to the psych guys again "soon" about mild concern with depresonalisation and derealisation maybe playing into it.

It's something that I've genuinely given my best efforts to dealing with, even with help and educated attempts.
It's why I don't post too often, I've tried literally everything I can think of.
Talking about it doesn't really help and just bums people out.

>>18727666
Too many "false choices"
(see: Trying to kill duck)
And I never really liked the characters.
>>
>>18727658
>how can you feel depressed with so much things to do ?
They just no longer hold any meaning to me...
I think hyperbole-and-a-half explained it pretty well.
It's like going back and playing with your favourite toys from when you were 4:
The magic is gone, it's no longer some grand adventure of wonder and mystery... it's just some plastic and cloth.
Now apply that to life in general and that's depression.
>>
>>18727687
Anyone who tells you it gets better is a liar. It only gets worse
>>
>>18727690
So far it's been like a rollercoaster...

It has it's ups and downs but as things keep going it invariably drifts lower on average.
>>
>>18727666
Holy shit look at those trips
>>
>>18727679
I mean I don't really understand how anyone could not like it? It's literally a measterpiece frendo it literally the only game I have and I play it at least once a week.
>>
>>18727679
>Too many "false choices"
explain please ? googling "trying to kill duck" didn't bring up anything in particular

>And I never really liked the characters.
But there were so many with various and realistic personalities. I liked most of them, Triss, Geralt and Regis the most.

>>18727687
I'm depressed atm as well but for different reasons. Well I suppose that there's nothing that random strangers on the internet can do about it. Best of luck with the psych guys.
>>
>>18727722
I only play witcher so I can play gwent. I like to get the good cards
>>
>>18727739
It's really the only redemption the game has to offer for such a horrible story line. The characters are god awful.
>>
>>18727676
There are barely any bears in my country. Not that I would afford a shotgun anyway.

>>18727675
Doubt it, but maybe at last I would find peace.
>>
>>18727714
maybe because some people were born before the year 2000 and started playing vidya before the ps3 era
>>
>>18727766
I'm clearly being very sarcastic by the way. Everyone else was promoting shitty games so I took it a step farther, not to be out done.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.