[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am boring, medieval combat as a hobby?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

I am generally not an interesting person. However, I have found that in my region, there's a pretty big community dedicated to full contact medieval combat (part of IMCF league). I am already very interested in the middle ages and childishly enough, as been renewed bt watching game of thrones. I already have some background in contact sports (football, judo) and my life being generally dull, I thought I'd have a great time as well as having a cool unique hobby. Has anyone ever heard of IMCF?
>>
>>18722810

Its not a bad hobby if you don't mind never seeing or touching a human vagina ever again.
>>
File: acl.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
acl.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
I've watched battle of the nations a few times. It's interesting to me, I think most people would agree once they realize it isn't just larpers with plastic swords. Personally I would love to give it a go
>>18722839
This guys a gay boy
>>
File: 1412503514383.gif (933KB, 245x285px) Image search: [Google]
1412503514383.gif
933KB, 245x285px
>>18722857

>Not dressing up in fake metal armor and play swords with other grown men makes you gay
>>
I heard that's the easiest route to get laid.
>>
I got cold steel practice swords and do spars with a few friends. These things can break a leg so you will get bruises even with low contact spars.
>>
>>18722839
Wrong. You would be surprised by how many chicks get wet in the panties over this sort of thing
>>
>>18722924
>valuing women over armour and swords
Sounds pretty gay to me
>>
>>18722857
I don't know what else to do. I work, I do judo, go to the gym...all my interests are expensive such as guns, racing and scuba diving. I did try climbing but didn't like it
>>
>>18722924

>wants to bond with women over fucking kittens, tea and bitch-ass facebook instead of combat, training and wielding live, dangerous weaponry

You'd probably be awful shocked what a little, tiny bit of roleplay can do in the bedroom. Girls love that shit, always say it's like having someone else and that it's amazing (which should probably be concerning but life's too short)
>>
>>18722810
Afaik it's a really expensive hobby, decent european armor is the best in the world, many times better than middle eastern or asian and it can be very fucking expensive.
Also if tou want to get into moving inside a knights armor you better get your ass fit, it is heavy, especially if you go with mail.
>>
Dude, do what interests you and makes you happy.

Yes, this is indescribably an autismal and strange time sink, but if it makes you happy then that's the important bit.

Pretty much any woman outside of a similar community or at least an online roleplayinf community is going to find this hobby extremely strange and possibly creepy. But if it's what makes you happy, then adjusting your persona to fit social norms isn't going to make you happy either so may as well do what is fun to you and find a girl that is equally autistic about dumb shit.
>>
>>18722839

You do realise that these guys are all funking huge jocks, right? I do a lighter, more education focused version of what OP is talking about but even our fighters are all /fit/ and either married or fucking someone and all the guys I know in the UK Fed are puss hounds. Chicks dig guys who knock the shot out of other guys for fun.
>>
>>18724662
Obviously phoneposting
>>
>>18722950
Yes, but not over dudes in armors. They like the attention they get, but not necessarily they like the guys she gets attention from.
>>
>>18722810

For safety's sake, the weapons are blunt, stabbing and spears are disallowed, there are no ranged weapons, and points are scored through takedowns. There's still a sufficient level of "realism", but you basically end up with a bunch of 280 lb+ armored dudes tackling and hitting each other with metal clubs until one team falls down. Then you do it again and again. If that sounds appealing then go for it. It's expensive since you typically have to buy the armor to participate. If melees disinterest you, you may find it interesting to study the form and technique of a specific weapon. It will take years to master it, but it's kind of like living history if you follow the old manuals. Use a blunt sword to practice, otherwise you might end up chopping your own leg off.
>>
>>18722839
>again
>>
>>18722810
Don't do any of that 16v16 clusterfuck shit unless you want to be crippled for life. Find someone that will teach you HEMA longsword fencing, bonus points if they cover dagger and grappling, which are skills that might actually come in handy one day. If by some miracle you find yourself with a choice of seemingly competent instructors, choose someone teaching Italian technique over German. Fiore is a great place to start with the basics, while the German masters like Lichtenauer and Mair tend to focus on quick tricks for middling fencers to win duels.

Also, don't let your instructor waste your time with six weeks of footwork drills. That shit is backported from modern sport fencing, where speed is more important than firm footing. Period combat was fought with wood or leather soles on dirt or grass or mud. Keeping your feet beneath you was the most important thing, and the best way to do that is to use the techniques you've already developed in 20+ years of keeping your feet beneath you.
>>
>>18722839
says the guy who would go 0-2 in a battle of the nations or medieval ufc as i like to call it
>>
>>18725278
Thanks, very informative but I live in the Montreal region so I really doubt I'll find any competent 14th/15th HEMA longsword instructor. Are there 1v1 too? What about other types of events such as jousting (a bit too brutal imo)? Is there anything else noteworthy? Just trying to find new ways to hide my lack of personnality
>>
>>18722839

The amount of casual fucking going on on LARP grounds (we're speaking 1000+ participants) would boggle your autistic mind. I met a fuckload of normies there who just enjoyed being silly as fuck all in medieval clothing by day, and banged the brains out of each other by nightfall. There was no shortage of women. Join the Landsknechte if you wish to engage in sexual harrassment 24/7, it's literally what they do. I have a mind of doing so myself, actually.

No longer being able to go LARPing again with my larper ex-gf might be the thing I miss most about that relationship.

To OP: have fun. Other guys play sports like football, try to guess how interesting _that_ might be to girls, lol. Having a rare/unique hobby might actually give you an advantage. Plus, you get to whack dudes with a sword. Win/win.
>>
>>18722810
>>18724700
>>18725278
>>18725877

would you glorious fucks recommend this for a manlet? Always was interested in trying it but god damn ive seen some real shit going on in Poland and Ireland and most of these guys are fucking hueg. Then again one of the best fighter was a russian 5'3 chick in full ruskie lamellar armour and mace. Im confused.

Then again i don't want to be fucking "Crippled For Life"
>>
>>18725929

Casual LARPing is done with rubber swords, and the most significant health risks during my experiences were heat stroke and hangover.

LARPing at the large events appears to me as a very effective training ground for social skills and getting out of your comfort zone. I don't see how anyone on this board would not benefit from this.

In regards to serious IMCF combat as a hobby, I have no significant experiences myself and can't really tell if being manlet could be a problem. You can simply refuse engagements that exceed your skill. You're doing it for fun and don't get paid for it, after all. This sport would not exist if serious harm was an everyday occurrence.
>>
>>18722950

>You would be surprised by how many chicks get wet in the panties over this sort of thing

I really don't think I would.
>>
File: 1389594564212.jpg (9KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1389594564212.jpg
9KB, 200x200px
>>18725877

>The amount of casual fucking going on on LARP grounds (we're speaking 1000+ participants) would boggle your autistic mind.

I must live in a bizarro world where people who don't spend their time roleplay fucking overweight girls dressed up as elves on LARP grounds are now considered autistic instead of the other way around.
>>
>>18726005

Yeah, fuck LARPing, im talking about real thicc Rec shit here. Steel to steel, bone to bone.

I know im not getting paid for this shit how is that an issue i don't know how you even...

>>18725278 this anon sounds in the know how and im really interested in his input. Im really a small dude and most of people ive seen doing this shit are quite robust. This would be fun to do but im not gonna go full expense with money and time on training and equipment just as hobby if im gonna end up completely disappointed and literary mixed with mud and top on that 'crippled for lyfe'.
>>
>>18726027
Apparently thats the case. Are all girls on your degenerate continent fat? You might consider moving, then, before they try to eat you. I wouldn't fuck those whales no matter how they dressed up. Put a heavy tax on burgers and make them realize that ranch dressing is not a drink, problem solved. /fit/ will gladly offer additional knowledge on the subject, I'm sure of it.

Your experience of LARPs must sadly be very different from mine. If you have any experience at all, and aren't talking out of your ass, that is. Good day, sir.
>>
>>18726099

>Your experience of LARPs must sadly be very different from mine.

Nerds aren't infamously good looking people, anon. You can spin it any way you want but to suggest that LARP grounds are great places to hook up with well socialized good looking girls is just horse shit.

>Are all girls on your degenerate continent fat?

The ones that are into LARPing are.
>>
>>18726119

>> You can spin it any way you want but to suggest that LARP grounds are great places to hook up with well socialized good looking girls is just horse shit

I can't say much about hooking up, seeing how I arrived there with my girl, but several of our company seized the opportunity.

The events had a roughly average distribution in terms of looks and age of its attendants (the number of old fucks actually surprised me as well). It was pretty much the same kind of population you'd encounter anywhere else if you go outside, but dressed up in costumes and more drunk than usual.

>>The ones that are into LARPing are.

Then our experiences are different indeed, and I am sorry that you're missing out on some very good fun.
>>
>>18726172

>Then our experiences are different indeed, and I am sorry that you're missing out on some very good fun.

Its really not my bag. I'm not a fan of costuming or roleplaying. I find it very awkward. I realize cosplay is a giant thing a lot of people like to do but it isn't for me. The closest I ever came to the community was when I used to play Magic The Gathering at my local card shop when I first moved to the city I live in. It was short lived because, honestly, some of the people there were so poorly socialized that I had a hard time carrying on conversations with them. I'm sure there are plenty of fairly normal people that enjoy cosplaying and fantasy and what not but you can't deny that an intense amount of dysfunctional people flock to those kinds of activities as well.

I went to a medieval fair once though and that was pretty cool. It was a two day thing and I didn't really dress up but everyone pretty much just ate meat off the bone and got drunk and built huge fires. There was no LARPing, just a lot of drinking and eating.
>>
>>18725929
>>18726044
LARPing with padded plastic boffers is plenty safe, but I'd still get decent gauntlets made to fit instead of cheaping out with leather gardening gloves, and always wear a helmet. Your hands and your head are the two things that won't fix themselves if you manage to break them.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.