[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had to choose between a car, and your own apartment as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: very ok.jpg (87KB, 960x936px) Image search: [Google]
very ok.jpg
87KB, 960x936px
If you had to choose between a car, and your own apartment as opposed to a room, which would you choose and why? Let's say the public transit is not good, but completely adequate.
>>
Neither, really.
>>
>>18722302
Is the room and the own apartment in a similar location or is the room and car much further from work/school then the apartment?
>>
>>18722307
>if you had to choose
learn to read

>>18722325
location is not a factor in this case
>>
>>18722302
Car. Pay it off and build credit then save up for a house outside the city. Fuck apartments. Low roi. Like pissing your money away for 15 years and then when you move ou t what do you have to show for it? Skip the apartment, get the car, save for the house, help your current head of household with bills and save what you can.
>>
>>18722389
roommates can be alright, take the room mate option then u can find a bro for life
>>
>>18722396
The point of the car is not the transportation, it's about the loan. You pay the full bill every month plus interest until you don't owe thd bank and your credit will be at least in the low-mid 700's which is excellent. Get credit cards, never buy things with them that you can't afford right now, never miss a payment, never ask for a credit line increase or lower interest. High interest will motivate to pay it off every month and low credit line will keep you from spensing frivolously, and will automatically get raised anyway. Never take a credit card with any sort of annual or monthly fee. Interest rate and credit line are malleable...

This is basically consumers ed 101, sorry about that. Just trying to help you out.
>>
>>18722302
car
>>
>>18722396
I already rent a room. The range for rooms to rent is $500-$800, and the range for studio apartments (in this area) is $1000-$1300.

You have a great point that a car is a good return on investment. It might even be necessary to work a second job, and people will respect me more for owning it.

That being said, living with other people can be a bit of a nuisance, and all of the quirky things I need to do to avoid other people's gross and disruptive habits are mentally exhausting.

I don't exactly like driving, and I love having my own space without any other icky humans in it.

>>18722398
>find a bro and rent
After splitting utilities, this could cost as much as a studio apartment. And the average bro, even if he is a fantastic friend, is either mentally in competition with you or gay and trying to fuck you.

TL;DR: a studio apartment *and* a room are both good investments in this case. It's just a matter of which is a *better* investment.

Apartment: 0
Car: 1
Other: 1
>>
>>18722443
a car is not a good return on investment that's the stupid thing i've ever heard. It's literally worth less and less, and costs A LOT of money to pay for.
>>
>>18722457
Except toilet paper is cheap and lets you wipe ur butt
>>
It's called a tool. Are you going to resell that toilet paper you're using? If not, that's a shitty investment.

>costs A LOT of money to pay for
You're right. Here's how I estimate the costs.

Apartment (studio) versus room
$1200 apartment
-$500 room
____
$700 increase

$300 used car payment
$200 gasoline
$200 monthly insurance
____
$700

all of this is monthly rates

hence the thread

Apartment: 0
Car: 2
Other: 1
>>
>>18722466
is this monthly costs? Just buy a shitty used car $300 a month for a use car is a nice ass used car . Just buy something cheap stop trying to be nigger rich. Insurance isn't $200 / month if you dont buy a fancy ass car.

I have a car payed $2000 for it and i pay like $450 every 6 months. Divide htat cost up over a year and its way less than $700/ month
>>
>>18722474
My insurance would cost at least $200 a month as a new driver in New Jersey, whether I like it or not.

I could get the cheapest car possible, but I don't know anything about cars, nor do I have a mechanic friend, and so if parts break down then I'm fucked.
>>
>>18722474
>>18722487
the $300 /mo. would include a warranty
>>
>>18722389
>learn to read
In what scenario would I HAVE to choose to spend extra money I don't need to?
>>
>>18722491
The warranty is bullshit
>>
>>18722497
I don't know anything about cars. Unless you want to educate me, I'm going to either be taken advantage of by the warranty, or taken advantage of by some mechanic who overcharges me.

If you want to be my car guy, by all means I'll take your number. It will help if you live close by so that you can take a look at the car if it ever has a problem.

>>18722496
according to most of 4chan I should just watch anime and suck my own dick, so unless you have a suggestion
>>
>>18722524
It's impossible to help you because you have too much money. That's all i can say. Your parents money is a curse on you, and you need to stop using so that you can actually learn to make financial decisions and save money like normal people.

This is the best advice I can give you.
>>
>>18722529
my parents give me no money and presently I'm below the poverty line. not sure where you get your ideas, but you're wasting my time.
>>
>>18722539
Okay then if ure below the poverty line why are u going spend $8000/year on a car?
>>
Apartment lol, you know why NSA
>>
>>18722524
If it's a new car, you shouldn't be anywhere near a mechanic unless it's a free filter change at the dealership for many years down the road.
>>
>>18722302
Probably the car, because at least where I live if you don't have a car you cannot have a job. Nobody will hire anyone without proper transportation.
So I'd go with the car in order to keep my job and therefore be able to save up for an apartment.

However if your job is ok with you not having a car due to the fact public transport even exists, then I'd go with the apartment. You can then save up for a car.
>>
>>18722567
some dealerships offer a 5 year, 100,000 warranty

>>18722568
In urban areas plenty of professionals take public transit. In suburban areas I think it's implied that people have cars unless they look like high-schoolers.

so that's a vote for apartment?
>>
Okay I deleted my cruelpost
-

>>18722554
what do you mean by this?
>>
>>18722524
Do your reasearch on a problem and the cost before you ever have work done. Go in, say this is what I need done, I know that this is how much it costs, that's all I'm paying. Don't çrotate my tires", don't "charge the radiator", don't flish the brake lines, just do this, and we can negotiate a price around this range. Otherwise I know a guy 20 minutes up the road that will do it for less.

A mechanic isn't an authority figure, he's just some greaseball that changes old ladies oil for a living. Maybe hexs a nice enough guy, but not if he's trying to screw you, and this is what you must do for all required servicesn whether it be on a car or a home. That is what credit cards are for. Don't want a loan, need it done, can't afford it right now, will pay back in incriments. Get a cheap car, take out a small loan on it, pay off the loan, boom, credit score increase.

Learn to haggle. Keep some bargaining chips for every financial descision you make. Most maintenence on an old car should be less than $200 every 6 months unless it's a hooptie.
>>
>>18722644
Also, get a better job.

Quit making excuses, there'a better jobs out there. Don't tell me it's too hard, you aint trying hard enough or aren't willing to go far enough...

And eat all your veggies at dindin.

And pray to baby jesus every night.
>>
>>18722644
if I don't know how anything about cars, how do I even know what the problem is? that's square one and I don't even know how to pass it
>>
>>18722649
I'm going to training at the moment, and then I'm going to go to college.
>>
>>18722664
>>18722649
this question pertains to the amount of money I'll have once I complete training and hopefully secure a job in that
>>
>>18722664
Good
>>18722662
You're on an intermet forum with board dedicated to automobiles and DIY projects. You figure it out.
>>
>>18722668
In that case, yes, go for the car.
>>
>>18722674
Apartment: -2
Car: 45
Other: 6
>>
>>18722670
>use online forums if you're having a problem
ids hobeless

maybe my landlord counts as a mechanic friend. he lives in the house with us and he knows all about cars.

I'll keep getting a cheapo in mind. I watch this YouTube channel RegularCars and it showcases a lot of cool cars from the 90's.

>>18722674
that's

apartment: 1
car: 3
>>
>>18722687
Scotty Killmer (sp?) On you tube is a great place to ask mechanic questions. And yes, you can learn a lot through reading specialized advice to your particilar problem provided that you've put forth adequate informatiom through an internet forum. That's why they exist.
>>
>>18722691
here's a thought. could it be worth pitching my buddy $100 to check it out and see what's wrong? he might offer to take less.
>>
>>18722718
Sure but I think that $100 is a lot. Maybe $50 and a beer would suffice a good friend. If he knows what he's doing it won't take him long.
>>
>>18722596
>some dealerships offer a 5 year, 100,000 warranty

Which is why you would not be seeing a mechanic for several years... they picked five years because cars tend to start having issues at year 5.9.
>>
File: IMG_2073.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2073.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Apartment: 69
Car: 69
Other -69
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.