[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Owning a condo at 21?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 0.jpg (571KB, 1000x811px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
571KB, 1000x811px
Hello adv! I'm in a very time sensitive spot and I'll try to make this short. I've lived with my mom for a year renting this apartment and our lease is up. I'm a 21 yo old girl working as a server and planning on going to university next year for a 4 year degree. My parents are immigrants and all they wanted was to die knowing me and my sister are doing well. However, my mom and dad really want us to put their money towards me owning a property and not "wasting it on rent". I understand this, but I am not too familiar at all with any of this. They plan on putting a good downpayment so that the payments each month would hopefully be cheaper than paying rent. Do you think this is a good idea? They say property is very cheap right now (West Canada) and that when I do decide to sell, 5 years later, or longer, etc. that it can be worth more and if it isn't, I can just rent it out to someone. My mom says she will help me pay for it while I'm in school, but I'm nervous about after she leaves the country and it is all on me. I'm not sure where my life will be, my mom has health problems. Basically, I'm scared that I might one day not be able to afford it and uncertain on how I can get out of it; its not like renting where you can just leave and find something cheaper. Would it be easy for me to get out of that situation if I had too? Should I continue to just pay rent for apartments? My mom wants to spend as much time with me as possible before she retires and moves back to our native country and I want to be with her too, (she assumes she will never see me again and time with me is precious and wants me to be in a good place before she leaves).
>>
I'm a big believer in buying, but I don't like condos. I see it as taking out a mortgage and still paying rent (condo fees). Also, condos don't appreciate in value the way a house does, because you don't actually own the land it is on.
>>
File: 1430932186698.jpg (80KB, 600x715px) Image search: [Google]
1430932186698.jpg
80KB, 600x715px
>>18722306
We can't afford a house or anything, this is our best bet. So, you think the condo I would own wouldn't really change much in price 5-10 yrs down the line? Could it actually go significantly lower? I wish I didn't have to worry about this, I got a lot of stuff going on in life on top of this and I have to decide NOW. :S
>>
>>18722306
>>18722346
Even if a condo wouldn't increase in value (it depends on how popular the area becomes), at the very least, you have the security of a roof over your head and your money is not being effectively thrown away on rent. If you know your parents will be able to pay the mortgage for you OP, then it's a better idea than renting. BUT you have be 100% certain that they are able to pay the mortgage, because if they can't, then it'll fall on you.

Why can't your parents buy it themselves anyway? Why does it have to be in your name?
>>
>>18722359
What happens if it falls on me and I can't afford it? How can I get out of that situation, is it very hard?

They want it to be in my name so they left something for me. They are not wealthy by any means, all they can do is put a 20-25% downpayment and hope the monthly mortgage payments will be less than $1000/month, but in my area the condo fees are $300-400... I know I can't afford $1400/month as a full-time student. My mom even says, if I die, don't worry, you will receive fucking death money from my company. It's really hard to explain, this is more of a weird family thing. But I do want to understand what I am getting into if I do what my mom wants, which is to just to help me with property and enjoy whatever time we have left together. If this is a bad idea, we can continue to just rent, but a single home is out of the question. We are looking $240k and below where I live.
>>
>>18722284
>property is cheap
>West Canada

I sure hope you're joking, or living in fucking Boston Bar or Ashcroft

But my advice would be rent a condo with a couple friends/classmates (there's some places in Vancouver near UBC that go for ridiculously low prices like $350/month), and save up the money to put a down payment on an actual HOUSE with land instead of a condo
>>
File: 1434475315474.png (321KB, 480x461px) Image search: [Google]
1434475315474.png
321KB, 480x461px
>>18722412
I live in Calgary, AB if it makes a difference. I gather from this thread that if I'm not owning a single home, I shouldn't bother?
>>
>>18722412
There's more to western Canada than BC, m8. Property is cheap in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and prices have dropped significantly in Alberta.

>save up the money to put a down payment on an actual HOUSE with land instead of a condo

This, OP.
>>
>>18722444
Honestly, I wouldn't bother if there wasn't land attached. Because that's what you're really paying for, the building attached is an accessory. Like the other anon said, a condo isn't buying land to own, it's buying the right to live in a cubicle.
>>
>>18722445
>>18722412>
>18722452
Thanks, I got it now! Straight to the point.
>>
>>18722454
Just make sure to actively save the money for the down payment. Don't eat out, work extra hours, ask your manager for more tables or larger parties or whatever. Save 40% of what you make at least and you should be decent

good luck luv u bb
>>
File: 1492485882344.jpg (114KB, 801x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1492485882344.jpg
114KB, 801x1200px
>>18722462
Thanks LUV U 2 BB
>>
>>18722382
>What happens if it falls on me and I can't afford it?
If you default on a mortgage the mortgagee (the bank, probably) has a right to sell the house, which is called a mortgagee sale. It'd mean you'd lose your home.

>How can I get out of that situation, is it very hard?
Unless you can cough up the money you owe, it's kind of irreversible. Your credit would take a hit too and it would be difficult for you to get a mortgage again in the future.

And I don't understand their logic for buying it in your name. They can always buy it themselves and leave it for you in their will.
>>
>>18722284
There's more to a mortgage payment than just the loan amount itself. You have to factor in the insurance, mortgage insurance, taxes, and HOA fees. The same will go for a house.
>>
I bought a condo 5 years ago with my brother and profited $40k. Put it down towards my own condo I bought 2 years ago and I just moved in. In Toronto.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.