[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

too adhd/autistic to drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1462693268005.jpg (77KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1462693268005.jpg
77KB, 300x300px
My brother has adhd (not diagnosed but our mother has it and he has all the symptoms) and is on the autism spectrum although he's pretty high functioning.
He's been learning to drive lately, been taking driving lessons and I can't help but worry about it. Is it possible people can just be too adhd to drive? For example in one lesson he stopped the car and got out without putting the handbrake on and the car rolled away. There's been similar incidences like that one too.
Is it just a matter of taking extra time for him to learn to focus on everything or could his mind be too one track to be able to take in everything he needs to to drive safely (watch for traffic ahead, do head checks, maintain a safe speed, judge other cars speed when turning, safely changing lanes, etc.)?

I mean he has trouble taking in the outside world when we're just watching tv, I can say his name 5-10 times before he will register what I'm saying because he's so focused on the screen.

Does anyone with adhd have any experience with driving? Anything to calm my nerves basically? I'm worried he'll crash because he'll get too distracted by a bird on the side of the road or something.
>>
>>18719839
I have type iii adhd, ive been driving for 14 years with no problem. No tickets no accidents, and i drive like 30,000-40,000km a year.

I had one incident early on with forgetting the parking break and getting out of the car. Managed to.jump back in and stop it. Thats something anyone can do if not thinking straight.

The thing with adhd is its not a disability or problem or tardation. Its just an extremely stimulant hungry brain trying to take in everything at once. If it isnt fully stimulated, it wanders.

Driving requires attention to thousands of things at once. Its highly stimulating. Its perfect for an adhd brain.

Call.the little errors newbie mistakes. The only thing id say is make it clear as fuck to your brother he cannot have a smart phone accessible while driving. That is one thing that is very dangerous to have in a car for a person with adhd.

If it was really that much of a problem, believe me, insurance companies would have lobbied decades ago to have their licenses revoked.
>>
>>18719865
>>18719839

>cant take in outside world when watching tv
>can he drive

Actually ill tl;dr my.last post by saying this:
Tv is highly stimulating.
So is driving.

He should.be as hyperfocused on driving as he is on tv.
>>
>>18719839
When i was a kid I had terrible adhd, I actually feel like driving is one of the things that helps my adhd because its fo im just like laser focused doing fun shit in my car.

>>18719865
Yeh ididnt even read htis post but I have to agree.
Heres the difference between adhd and autism

Autism think about it, they actually have an extra chromosome. Theyre not equal to people intelligence wise the vast majority of the time they are legitimately "retarded/mentally handicapped." Adhd isnt that way, people with adhd are just a little weird. They have normal chromosomes, there brains arent any different, they understand all the social cues normal people do and there intelligence is exactly normal with the population.

Autism =/ adhd in any kind of way. even thoug people with adhd act a little retarded some times it's NOT A MENTAL DISABILITY AT ALL. NOT ONE BIT.
>>
>>18719865
As a new driver with Adhd, after failing my test twice (bs situations I can't believe I failed, but excuses are worthless anyway) I'm tremendously both glad and more confident in myself after reading what you had to say, After failing to see a stop sign during a road test with thunder and buckets of rain, I thought that was my sign I probably won't make it no matter how many lessons I get, I'm getting another lesson tomorrow and just wanted to say thanks for posting!
>>
>>18719877
>autism has an extra chromosome

Thats down syndrome dude. Totally different thing.

Autism does not involve extra chromosomes nor does it have a lowered IQ thing. Some people with autism are highly intelligent.

They just suffer from extreme sensory and emotiomal overload and their social skills dont develop properly. A little more complicated than that but thats the long and short of it..
>>
>>18719877
Are you confusing autism with down syndrome? My brother has autism and adhd but he isn't retarded
>>
>>18719878
Same adhd guy:

Ive ran a stop sign.

Everyones ran a stop sign.

It happens. If anything Id say its not your adhd doing it. Youre probably just extremely anxious which causes the little mistakes anyone can make.

And if youre so worried about your driving ability, thats the root of your anxiety. You are designed to be a very good driver.

Youre going to miss more exits and make more wrong turns. Thats about all thatll set you apart.

But im fucking serious. Put the phone out of reach. Speaking from experience. You will not be able to put it down.
>>
>>18719884
Same guy that failed two road tests.
Really good to know, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it, and I'm pretty good with the phone, I turn it off most of the time and leave it in my pocket, I'm glad to see how much you're pushing that bit as it's very important, too many people, obviously not just people with disabilities and disorders, are crashing cars because they whip out their phones, I wish you well.
>>
>>18719896
And you, friend.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.