[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quitting social media ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 20PRE-master768.jpg (37KB, 768x512px) Image search: [Google]
20PRE-master768.jpg
37KB, 768x512px
Hi /adv/

So every once in a while i get super fed up with my addiction to social media and deactivate my accounts (I'm talking primarily about Facebook here, but others too) for about a week.

This time I was really tired of it so I deactivated it all again and set it for a month with no social media. Facebook, but also Snapchat (which is fun but completely useless) and Instagram (which I only use to stalk hot girls so I really don't care). Keeping Twitter because I don't have anyone from IRL there and don't tweet much at all.
But now I'm thinking, why don't I just quit it all permanently ? Seriously, yeah it's fun and useful sometimes, but overall it's pretty useless, an enormous timewaster, and even a source of stress sometimes
I've read a few articles about it and I'm already kinda convinced. This could help me being more productive and I need to be more productive.
But still, I'm a little scared of turning into a robot or something. I have a decent amount of real friends, I hang out a lot, I'm pretty much a normie, but I'm afraid people will think I'm becoming asocial or to miss out on events because I won't be in group conversations and such. I still have texts, but since everyone's on Facebook and use it as much if not more than texts to communicate, I don't know.

So has anyone here ever quit Facebook and others for good ? How was it ? Should I consider it ?
I'll definitely do for a month, but I might quit permanently. I guess it'll help me figure out who my real friends are too, which is nice.
>>
I can't speak for myself, but I can't think of anyone that regrets leaving social media
>>
Quit that shit 8 years ago never looked back. One of the best decisions i ever made.
Also you are literally a south park meme.
>>
>>18718563
>>18718570
Nice, guess this is it then
>Also you are literally a south park meme.
kek why ?
>>
https://youtu.be/8jU7U3jdzng
>>
>>18718556
I left when I was 17, 8 years and counting, it is a literal blessing. I have hobbies and skills now that my friends marvel at, while they have a new filter and fuck boy problems. Do it, OP
>>
>>18718620
Hell yes, I'm actually hyped for this

Anyone wanna join ?
>>
I got off Facebook for a few years, tried to get back on a few months ago, and I just left again.

Fuck that shit. I don't want to worry about being part of some social experiment or some psycho doxxing me.
>>
>felt weird about fb in 2012
>turn it off and on through 2013
>haven't looked back since 2014

I only hear it getting crazier, what with the fake news and all.
>>
>>18718556
I have permanently quit Facebook three times to have gotten back on because of parents. This is my fourth time quitting permanently and no one has bugged me about it. I had Facebook because of family in different states and in two different countries. I got tired of all the religious and political posts along with "everyone is a critic." And I would check my Facebook every 15 minutes.

Deleting Facebook has been great. You're able to focus on things and you don't become depressed over dumb posts.

I have an instagram account but I slowly started loosing interest in it...

You can do it OP, just need the drive to quit and stay away from it.

TL;DR delete Facebook. That shit is cancer.
>>
If anyone did the same recently I'd be glad to hear it
I make this sound like a big deal, I know it's not but I'm pretty much the type of guy who spends his days on Facebook doing absolutely nothing, so it kinda is
>>
>>18718981
Thanks.
It's weird because it's like I don't have anything against Facebook, if anything it's a really good idea, yet it feels so toxic.
The simple fact that it's legitimately hard to delete it just proves there's something wrong with it

It's so dumb but right now I really want to log back in just to check what's up, even though I know the only thing I'll see is people sharing dumb memes, new boring profile pictures and that someone I barely know is now dating someone I don't know.
This is stupid
>>
What I did with my Facebook profile was unfollowing 98% of people on my friends list, leaving only my family (not everyone though) and friends/acquaintances, whose activity I'm interested in. My feed is now full of content from the pages I liked, that are close to my actual interests.

I also removed the FB app from my phone but I kept the Messenger. At the moment I feel to much FOMO to completely deactivate my FB account but I might get to that point eventually.
>>
>>18719057 - building on top of that

I definetely know where these guys (>>18718981, >>18718637) come from but now I am not that negative towards FB in general, thanks to what I did.

For example, I landed my current job thanks to one of my acquaintances (whom I did not talk to for years, but I did not unfollow her because I knew she was kinda smart and wasn't spaming my feed with memes and shitposting) posting a job offer over a year ago, that opened up at the company she was working at. I hit her up and got the job.

The same company employs over 200 people in the ages between 20-30, so basically everyone uses FB to set up events, such as b-days and whatnot.

That's why I am not so keen on the idea of COMPLETLY removing myself from FB, but when it came to Instagram and Snap I fucking dropped them like there was no tommorow - complete waste of time. Instagram might've had a chance if I actually put some thought into who/what I was following, but when I followed people who I knew IRL, I grew tired of it because I could not give two shits about what they were doing/eating/watching at the moment.
>>
Why dont you just block all the newsfeed and use only messenger? Tjata atleast what i've done.
>>
I've been thinking about doing this too OP. Maybe not entirely deleting myself off of social media, but deleting off every account I have for pleasure.
I have business ideas that will require using twitter to post across platforms but in my mind, that is a completely different thing than looking through mindless posts all day from people I really don't care all that much about.
My s/o has social media and uses it maybe once or twice a year and seems just so much happier without it. I can't see how it would possibly be a bad thing. I need to be more productive as well. Might as well go for it!
>>
>>18719112

To summarize for OP - maybe try what I did with my FB, meaning unfollowing people on your friend list who you don't talk to nowadays/meme posters/people who - like you mentioned - you barely know. They won't be notified when you unfollow them.

Browse your list of liked pages and unlike the shit that does not interest you anymore. This should keep your news feed clean of stupid, random BS.

If you browse it on your phone whenever you are bored, then remove the app. For me, booting my laptop up is much more hassle than pulling my phone from my pocket, so now I don't browse it as often as I did before, and for sure I am more self-aware when doing it.

With this I got to the point where I feel like leaving 4chan would do me more good.
>>
>>18718556
I haven't had a facebook or (((social media))) for 3 years now.
Feels very good.
No one is your friend by the way.
Friendship is a meme.
Making businesses acquaintances is the way to go if you desire relationships.
>>
>>18719057
>>18719112
>>18719120
>>18719132
>>18719137
OP here
I get what you guys say, and yes I could just clean my FB entirely to just keep the essential, but I feel like that wouldn't really solve the problem.
Whether I have 150 friends or 10, I know that as long as I have it, I'll spend way too much time on it for no reason.
I wanna treat this like an addiction (which is what it is), and you don't stop smoking by just smoking once in a while, you completely stop.

And I'm just thinking about how my everyday life could be different without it, and I'm pretty sure just leaving Facebook could change a lot of things.

So, what I'm gonna do is completely drop social media for a month. After a month if I see that my life changed positively, I won't come back to it (unless I really NEED to, but it seems unlikely). If I see no change at all or a negative impact, I'll do what you guys said and clean it, and try my best to just check it occasionally

If anything this is gonna be an interesting month I'm sure
>>
>>18719189
Good luck my man.
The Globalist don't have control over our lives--we do.

White Power.
>>
>>18719196
Th-thanks, I guess
>>
>>18719232
You'll unironically get there lad.
>>
>>18718556
>So has anyone here ever quit Facebook and others for good ? How was it ? Should I consider it ?
i quit a few years ago. never regrettet it, quite the contrary now i feel way better. used to waste SO much time on facebook doing absolutely nothing and feeling bad about others having an awesome life while mine seemed to suck.

with my real friends i stay in contact via whatsapp/phone/mail/RL. nobody else i need.

do it!
>>
I still use whatsapp and mail.
I kept my facebook account because people may want to contact me. I blocked it on my laptop and only check for messages once a week.
>>
>>18719039
Anytime. Facebook can be a great tool when it comes to keeping in contact with family that live far away (in my case, different countries). But when everyone thinks they're a critic or say stuff that annoys others then it's not so great.

What you're doing is right, do what you feel is necessary. Taking small steps is the best way to go before deciding to take the big leap.

One thing I have noticed is that once I was officially gone from Facebook (takes 3 months for them to wipe all traces of your account) was how everything is intertwined into Facebook. It's insane.
>>
I use whatsapp because it's convenient.

Also I use facebook as a means to contact old friends because people know that they can easily reach me through facebook.

>But isn't that what whatsapp is for?

People change phone numbers all the time, a facebook account stays the same through dispositives, I would lie if I said I don't stalk people but I'm usually do it out of boredom and get tired of it real quick, if anything I use it mostly as a means to feel still in contact with people who are far away, it feels good to be sure that your friends are still alive and kicking and if I want to talk to someone they're a click away.
>>
>>18719610
Same.

I quit facebook 3 years ago. I tend to compare myself with others a lot, so deleting it was the best choice. Much more free time and energy for personal development. I picked up a hobby, and currently learning two languages.

Ever since i quit I actually dont know what is going on peoples lives, which is cool when I catch up with friends. Those who actually give a fuck about you will find a way to contact you. Dont worry about on missing things out.

Do it OP.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.