[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I drop out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

File: Dropout.svg.png (8KB, 190x246px) Image search: [Google]
Dropout.svg.png
8KB, 190x246px
I'm an 18 year old high school senior. I have a GPA of a 3.9/4.0 and am taking 4 AP (Advanced Placement) classes, and am part of the schools wrestling team. But my disdain for this public compulsory education system is giving me the urge to drop out of school.
Sure, academically I'm in an excellent position, but,
1. why would I want to wake up at an unreasonable time to be forced to learn material that I will eventually forget?
2. Why would I want to waste my time working for a paper called a "diploma", to go in debt for college to earn another piece of paper, to get a job for paper currency for 60 years until my inevitable death, to have a paper called a "Death Certificate" filed for me?
3. Why waste precious years of my life that I wont ever get back? I will never be 14 again. I will never be 16 again. And I cant be 18 again in the future, so why not enjoy being 18 while it lasts? Schools already wasted my adolescent years.

It's funny how people say "Money can't buy happiness" but when it comes to dropping out of high school they say YOU'LL MAKE 50%-100% LESS THAN YOUR GRADUATING COUNTERPARTS!!!
I don't want to hear about money, or how much potential I have, I ask you, /adv/ for REAL reasons, such as happiness, or how I'd be affecting my peers or community in a negative way. What's your argument for why I should stay in school, or drop out?
Money is just paper at the end of the day, if all else fails i could just join the military to be housed, fed, and still positively help my country, or I could just live in the woods and feed off of fish and berries ;).
>>
>join the military

Of course, the military loves edgy shitlords that piss away potential.

If you really want to turn your life into a performance piece by wasting your position, go right ahead. Just know that you look like a fucking idiot forgoing a fucking high school diploma to "stick to to the man".

You think you want nothing more in life than food and E-2 pay because you haven't seen shit in life yet kid. Go to fucking school.
>>
Do you want to be a /r9k/ tier shut-in NEET failure for the rest of your life? If not, finish high school and only then start thinking about what to do in life. Do you seriously think you can live the rest of your life being taken care of by your parents?
>>
>>18714676
But a lot of rappers have dropped out and they're really successful..
>>
Dude, at the point your at, it's easier to stick with it than it is to come back if you decide you eventually want to.

If you want to go live in the forest and eat berries after you graduate, go nuts.

For now, I say push through it. It's practically job training more than anything else. Practice maintaining sanity and enduring endlessly mundane tasks. Those are the types of jobs you'll be working until you choose to specialize in something, and pursue a career.
>>
>>18714676
>As aforementioned in my original post, I rather not dwell on arguments of potential, going to school doesn't guarantee potential.

> Just because someone decides to drop out of high school, it doesn't guarentee they're wasting anything, there are alot of successful people who dropped out, I know I shouldn't point to the top people who made it, but it shows success is still possibile without a paper saying you spent 4 years learning.

> This isn't a rebellious movement, I'm not trying to "Stick it to the man", and being a "fucking idiot" by mindlessly dropping out of school, I'm simplying questioning if my happiness and success can be achieved elsewhere.

> I know military pay isn't the best, but as I said, money isn't the most important thing in life, and if I do drop out I never said I'd 100% join the military, rather I said it's an option.

please refer to my entire argument instead of just 1 minor detail please, thank you :)
>>
>>18714683
Are you a rapper of note right now? There are more CEOs in America than there are rappers worth a shit, anon.
>>
>>18714692
well I'm pretty big on SoundCloud
>>
>>18714691
What possible advantage would you gain from dropping out of high school? You'll get a few extra months of doing nothing but vidya and animu all day long. Is that really worth risking your entire future for?
>>
>>18714686
Thank you for offering a valid point that isn't based off of "potential" or money.

And I can agree with you that schooling helps teach us maintaining sanity and endurance of mundane tasks, but what also does that is getting an actual job, and I'd be getting paid at the very least. I haven't had the experience of working a full time job, however from what I can imagine, can't you just learn to maintain sanity and perform tasks in the workforce instead of school?
>>
>>18714694
Freedom for one, but more importantly is time.
Time that can be spent doing things i have passion for instead of calculus and literature.
Be honest, do you even remember what the pythagorean theorem was?
>>
Teenagers are impulsive by nature, realize that you're not thinking rationally and finish if you have less than a year left. You can do whatever you want after that, and you can live all you want however you want, when you finish
>>
>>18714704
A few measly months of time. That you will be spending on vidya and animu. Consider it one more time, is it really worth ruining your entire life for? And are you sure your parents will continue to support you and not force you to get a job or kick you out?
>>
It's 9 months at most of you're in the northeast faggot. Noone is making you go to college either. College is a waste of money and time unless you're learning something valuable. You can't get gainful employment without a GED. Just finish up the last 9 months and learn a job either through technical school or self study and hard work that can turn into a career.

t. No degree no certification IT systems engineer
>>
>>18714693

How much listens/followers?

Remember that even if you have a big following online it doesn't translate to real fans who will go to shows/buy merch/albums etc. Also, music can be the most unbalanced profession so keep in mind that if you make some money don't expect to get that same pay check every time. You may go through some slumps.
>>
>>18714714 >>18714715

I don't know what "vidya and animu" is, but theres no guarentee I'd end up ruining my life. I could make up for the burdens of not having a diploma. I'd just be spending these 9 months getting a head start on trying to secure a good future for myself.
>>
>>18714699
To some degree. While you aren't really getting "paid" you are receiving something in return that money can't directly buy. It's a credential, not a massive one by any stretch, but a basic one you can carry with you. It'll open a lot of doors for further education or training if you so choose, and serve as a key to allow you access to employment from more stringently regulated establishments.

I agree that it's pretty much just a bullshit piece of paper, but that doesn't stop the rest of the world from enforcing it's own policies, unfortunately. So I think highschool is at least worth suffering through, if for nothing more than having the freedom within society to work towards something.

In whatever you do, you've got to look at the benefits and the downsides. I can totally understand the appeal of going back to roots, and just building a hut out in the woods somewhere. That's invigorating, something I think everybody should experience in their lives. At the same point, we also live in a time of many great technological advancements, but of course everything at a cost. You can't really live in the woods and ignore the world yet reap the benefits of it. At the same point, it's difficult to find a way to legally be allowed to live in a mud hut in the woods.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that money is a very useful tool. Yes, it's just paper, or plastic now, but it can also be freedom. It can be transformed into just about anything, and that makes it very helpful to find what it is that we enjoy doing and want to dedicate out lives to in a controlled manner, as well as to aid us in regulating our own health so that we may continue to enjoy those things for longer.
>>
>>18714725
You're not going to get a headstart. What could you possibly gain from 9 months of wasting time on fruitless projects? You still fail to understand there is literally nothing to be gained from having a little extra time.
>>
>>18714725
>I could make up for the burdens of not having a diploma
How?
>>
>>18714742
That is a well thought out argument, I haven't really thought of money as freedom, I instead associated it with negative aspects such as control, and tiring work.
I can't force employers to accept me when I have no diploma, but what if I'm self-employed? I know it's a long shot but starting my own business still gives me the freedom, money, and employment without a degree. Again, I understand the risk involved in starting a business, but It is one of many options that can pay, and I won't have to live in the woods and eat berries and what not, others include work in film (obviously not as an actor, the chance of being the next Leonardo DiCaprio is nearly impossible), freelance mining and panning, and investments in stocks. I remember reading an article of an 18 year old who dropped out of school and became a millionaire through BitCoin investing.
1 BTC is worth $4322.89 now.
>>
>>18714749
I think you underestimate how long time is.
"life is long; if you know how to use it"
~Seneca the younger
If i was to drop out, I wouldnt be spending most of my time on YouTube, but looking for employment, or being self-employed and figuring out how to make money.I know things dont happen instantly, but C'mon, 9 months is plenty of time to accomplish a sizeable head start compared to my graduating counterparts.
>>
>>18714773
Your counterparts will be using those 9 months far, far better than you: being in school. You will not get a head start, on the contrary you will be falling behind.
>>
>>18714783
I think you fail to understand my argument.
During those 9 months they will be be learning about subjects they will forget about after graduation, only to earn a diploma that is already expected from most employers.
During my 9 months (if i do hypothetically drop out) I will be devising ways to make money, then taking action on those plans. While I'm attempting to, or already making money, my counterparts will either just be entering the work force, or spend more time/money by entering college. I'm not falling behind by already taking action, it's being ahead, while they wait for graduation.
>>
I don't have any convincing counterarguments because you're right, you should definitely drop out.
>>
>>18714802
Why do you think that way?
I'm looking for arguments from both sides, whether you agree with me or not.
>>
>>18714669

You do not require advice. What you want is to argue. This is not the board for that.

Everyone, we need to stop replying to "prove me wrong" threads. They are a waste of your time and of board space.
>>
>>18714790
You fail to understand that there is nothing preventing you from preparing for life while also going to school. What you completely fail to understand is that there is absolutely no upside for you not finishing high school, only downsides.
>>
>>18714814
Time, man...
School takes up time, especially when doing extracurricular activities and homework/studying.
Without it, you have the freedom to work on your own endeavors.
>>
If your goal is too "enjoy your youth", consider how many of your peers are going to college. Consider how many of your peers are in high school. Aren't high school and college where youthful memories are made? Dropping out of high school and not attending college inevitably means that "abandoning your youth" happens earlier, as you're forced to compete for jobs that give you less freedom, and required to fight for recognition of your intelligence, despite lacking the conventional proof.
Instead, try spending more time with friends as you finish out the year. Join a club or make a study group. Invite a date to prom. Make those youthful memories, the kind you wish you had.
>>
>>18714725
>9 months of fucking around will outweigh the intractable issue that YOU LACK A HIGHSCHOOL EDUCATION and are thereby widely unhireable
>>
>>18714813
Incorrect, the people who replied to my post with thought out advice will be remembered, and there are 3 posts in particular that i screenshotted to remember in the long term and were very helpful. I dont want advice to blindly follow it, my goal was to ask the /adv/ board and then question their reasoning and the outcomes of what they say, this is a big decision for me, and if I can't question what I'm being told, then theres no point in asking in asking.
>>
>>18714828
Stop doing extracurriculars and scrape ny with average grades then retard. Spend the rest of your time working and saving money. Even crypto shitlords need money to start with. If you plan on starting a business, you need money. If you plan to learn the stock market you need money to cover "market tuition".

Highschool opens doors for money and you can make money and scheme while doing the minimum necessary to finish your last handful of months.
>>
>>18714832
VERY good point indeed, I can't enjoy many things "normal" people my age do if I do something like drop out. The work takes up time sure, but you're right about the social aspect that I'll be missing out on.
>>
>>18714773
unless you want to ask 'do you want fries with that?' for the rest of your life a high school diploma is a bare minimum, even if you get into a trade. People will think something's wrong with you if you don't graduate. That you are dumb, a druggie, lazy whatever. Bite the bullet and finish your god damn diploma
>>
>>18714832
Also this, half my education was spent in "home school" or my parents kind of left me to make my own way. I walked 5 miles through the ghetto in a blizzard to get to school once because I had no other options and my parents were worthless. Recently I had the better half of my family take me to my younger cousins highschool stuff. It made me nostalgic for a life that I was denied. There's no turning back the clock.
>>
>>18714836

Mate, you aren't interested in changing your mind. I know this because you have not argued the other side. You know what you want to do and you are using this, "debate" as a fig leaf against the claim your choice is ill thought out. The last part of your original post suggests you have asked others and didn't like the answers you got; you can justify this choice no matter what you hear, so stop wasting everyone's time by implying you can be swayed.
>>
>>18714840
Good point, just when you mention needing an initial principal of money to start any business or anything, theres always the option of getting a loan, but I do get you when you say I dont have to be stellar to get the diploma. Maybe I'm just being a try hard, we all do get the same degree after all.
>>
>>18714836
>>18714850

And here is a freebie for you: you could actually get good advice if you asked for suggestions of what to do post dropping out. Rather than debating the decision itself feel out what life would be like if you actually took the decision. That would be more productive.

Faggot.
>>
>>18714851
Yeah you sort of are. Comes off with a bit of edge. Many people don't even start on the path to riches until they've waded through their mid to late 20s or even 30s in poverty
>>
>>18714850
Well, I can't question both sides when no one is advising that I do drop out. only 1 person said school was a waste, and I asked them to explain why, there has yet to be a response from them.
In my original post, I ask that you exclude the "you'll make more money" or the "you have so much potential" argument because they're so cliched and have no meaning to me.
The people here who have been persistent on why I should stay have offered good points and I am listening, why else would I stay so long to read every post? I haven't decided 100% yet, and if i was given advice on why i should drop out, I'd be fair and question them too.
the people on this board aren't being taken advantage of, they're helping me decide a legitimate dilemma.
>>
>>18714854
Good point, however, we've been mentioning what I'd do if I was to drop out since the beginning.
>>
>>18714857
You've got me on that one. So basically I should try to find a healthy mix of school and making money. I've got to say this'll be my take away from tonight. I worry about getting bad grades, but why worry if I was willing to drop out? just do as you said, deal with it for the 9 months and I'd still have been focusing on the money making too.
>>
Just finish the year off Dumbass. Graduate with good grades and you'll have it under your belt if you ever wanna go to college. I wish I had grades that good in high school. Just chill, finish off your year, graduate, and do whatever you want whether its college, the military, or something else.
>>
>>18714858

If no one is arguing the other side is your duty, if you want to make a reasoned choice, to do it yourself. That is what it means to really understand an issue: to know and understand both sides.

>>18714862
No you haven't. You've spoken about 9 months post drop out. You've said nothing about what dropping out STOPS you from doing, nor have you articulated what it SPECIFICALLY ENABLES you to do that is otherwise unachievable (9 months of studying is not a unique opertunity enabled by dropping out, a point another anon made).

Here is my last nugget for you: I get it. I was a high school senior 7 years ago (I even shared your view of college; I'm a STEM grad student now) The world is clear, you have it figured out, the future is obvious. Everyone I knew was like this. To the best of my knowledge, no one is where they expected to be then and no one thinks of the world in the same terms. You need to seriously consider what will happen if you are wrong with the same energy you've goven to if you are right and consider what either option LOSSES you. Then you can make a good choice.
>>
>>18714890
I thought both sides through for a short amount of time, but came on /adv/ to get opinions from both sides, it's all been one sided so far, but now I have a question for you, given your position.
You're a STEM grad student now (congrats), but do you feel like your education, not just college but high school as well, will have much of an impact on you lets say 10 years from now? Or rather will it be your experience you gained outside the classroom, in the workforce or just on your own personal time that will affect your professional life or financial situation the most?
>>
>>18714903

I went to a magnet program for drama in high school. I do nothing even close to acting now, but the program has paid massive dividends in both my personal and professional life.

You do not know what the true value of something is ahead of time, or in what ways it will be valuable. It may be valuable in ways you expect, in ways you don't expect, or not at all. You've no way of knowing.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.