[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1429592203576.png (157KB, 383x466px) Image search: [Google]
1429592203576.png
157KB, 383x466px
College in the US is a scam, right?

>go to college for 4 years
>go tens of thousands of dollars in debt
>possibly 6 figures
>try to find job to pay for debt

So, you go into debt over 4 years and spend the next 20-25 working to pay off that debt because you went to college so you could get a job? What the fuck is the point. I only went for a few semesters and the debt I owe us literally ruining my life. I can't even imagine what it's like having the full weight of debt everyone has.
>>
>borrowing money against future earnings
Millennials, everyone.
>>
>going into debt
If you can't afford it, you shouldn't go. I don't mean 'shouldn't' as in you don't deserve to, I mean it'd be a bad decision to.
>>
>>18713723
Go to trade if you're too stupid or worried.
>>
File: image.jpg (266KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
266KB, 640x1136px
>>18713730
Lmao
>>
>>18713723
>do well in high school, get scholarship
>enroll in good state university
>live with parents and drive to classes
>get 2nd hand textbooks
>do well in classes, get paid position as a university tutor
>work internships over the summer

Almost done with my undergrad, no debt and decent savings from all my extra internship money.

If you are a dependent, make sure to fill out FAFSA every year and see if you get aid money. There are many ways to pay for school. Room&board is what will get you.
>>
I just graduated with a B.Eng. Sometimes I wish I invested the money spent on tuition into tools and a workspace to just tinker around with random robotics projects. I feel like I would have learned more, saved money, and would have more to show for my efforts than a piece of paper.
>>
>>18713723

If you don't have money saved, extraordinary academics or something else to give you a scholarship or some help, don't go to a goddamned private school or some shit and take it down the throat on loans.

Many public state universities will offer you a decent education at a price that won't kill you, unless you got a really shitty GPA in high school, which means - protip - you're probably not cut out for college and should do a trade. That's not the end of the world. There are many respectable people who work in trades.

I got a full ride to college and therefore have no debt. I did have to choose a slightly lesser school to save that money, but at the end of the day, it worked out.
>>
>>18713723

not really. it certainly does not have the same appeal it had before, but even with your debt you will have more money for spending on your personal life than if you just went into minimum wage work out of highschool.

in addition even if it was leaving you with exactly the same amount of money (it doesnt) it gives you one huge bonus: you dont have to do minimum wage WORK. minimum wage work is awful. work you get with a degree is generally something you can enjoy, cuz you chose that field for a reason.

finally the most important thing is that all these people complaining about debt they cant repay are people who

1) did not actually go into their field after graduating college
2) got some sort of art degree, or philosophy or something equally useless
3) aren't even thirty yet.

you dont get an amazing job out of college anymore, it sucks, but unlike with minimum wage the promotions are HUGE. after minimum wage IF you get promoted you just make a couple extra bucks an hour. but if you get a real useful degree and a REAL job that the degree requires you can easily be making good money in a few years after getting promoted. and unlike with minimum wage jobs the higher earning jobs outweigh the entry level positions.
>>
our generation has this weird thing where we think of debt as bad, like if you are in debt than you are not living.

all previous generations had debt. they just worked and paid it off. its a part of life.
>>
>>18713777

This is more or less true, especially if you're lucky enough to have not graduated in a shitty economy like I did.

But now that I make six figures, I know that I'm making more per year at 30 than any guys I know in their 40s or 50s that did trade work... they may have made $20 an hour before me, but now I'm doubling or tripling their hourly income.
>>
>>18713780
>our generation has this weird thing where we think of debt as bad, like if you are in debt than you are not living.
Do we? Most people I know have overdrafts and credit cards and are generally terrible with money. Student loans are also very common where I live, though I'm not from the US.
>>
>>18713787

>people have debt so they must not think its bad

false, they get into debt anyways but threads like this and others are indicative of a greater problem. people are afraid to buy a house even if they can afford it because it puts them in debt. students are becoming afraid of their debt instead of realizing its normal.
>>
>>18713797
I don't know anyone who's 'afraid' to buy a house. It's more that they can't afford to save up a deposit because their spending habits are shit and they're barely keeping up with credit card bills. When you're in that situation, you can't really say that debt is good anyway.
>>
>>18713780
Nah, people are just retarded with money and take out loans to pay their other loans
>>
>>18713817

i know tons of people who are, they have the means but they dont want to. though where i live people rarely stay put for long so the debt its self might not be the issue as much as selling it if things change.
>>
>>18713841
Well obviously people are going to be reluctant to make a big purchase like that if chances are they're not going to be there for much longer.
>>
Taking on debt to go to college is an insanely stupid gamble compared to INVESTING in the stock market.

If you had the choice to live at your parents house without having to pay for anything, you could easily be a millionaire in 10 years with a wagecuck job at Walmart.

If you could afford to invest 90% of each paycheck into a diversified/good portfolio of stocks, planned to hold these stocks for years (i.e. not be a trader), you could easily get 20% average return on investment year-over-year, or much more, and it's almost guaranteed.

Being a short-term trader will most likely cause you to lose money.

Mark my words, I own 2000 shares of VRX at 13.33 average (that's $26,660 worth of shares), it's my biggest and my only actual long-term investment, and it will make me rich over the coming years.

I am in short-term swing trades of AMD and RAD (Rite-Aid) right now, bullish for the time being.

I don't follow my own advice, I am taking a huge risk and my life savings depends on VRX, I cannot stand being a long-term investor in low-risk boring stocks, but that's what is almost guaranteed to make you money.
>>
>>18713844

yes thats what i said.
>>
>>18713861
So you were prattling on about how people are 'afraid' of debt with no real basis.
>>
>>18713723
reading this shit makes me feel guilty for dropping out of uni in a country with free education
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.