[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living with a high travel job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Over the past 6 months or so I've gotten /adv/ from here in regards to resume, job searching, and interviewing and thanks to this I'm no longer a NEET. Thanks everyone.

This job however is about 75% travel time. Basically every week I fly out Monday morning and I get back Friday evening; I'm really only home on the weekends. The travel itself is completely fine with me because I've been a friendless /r9k/ my entire life so floating from place to place doesn't bother me.

My question is what I should do about my living situation. It seems like such a waste to be paying full rent/utilities for an apartment or home that I'm only going to be living at a quarter of the time. I was thinking of just finding a room to rent out at a lower end home that I can basically just use as a storage unit and bed 2 nights a week. I'd hopefully work something out with the other roommates so that I'm paying less in electric/water utilities since I'd obviously be contributing a far smaller amount to the weekly usage.

Does anyone have advice for high-travel jobs, or advice on how to go about handling a living situation? Renting a room for cheap from friends/parents isn't an option, nor is living with a girlfriend.
>>
>>18703811
What job did you get that you travel 5 days a week?
>>
>>18703839
Basically a traveling repairman for a medical technologies company. If a CAT scanner owned by my company suddenly breaks down and their local techs can't fix it, then they'll fly me out to see what I can do about it.

There's usually a backlog of repair and preventative maintenance orders so I'll have somewhere to go every week. Every once in a while I'll need to stay on location over the weekend to get the machine working again faster, and every once in a while there won't be much for me to do so I'll stay home a week. For the most part though I'm told it will be 75% travel.
>>
My suggestion, if possible, would be to just live with your parents/family over the weekend.

This is the best option as far as not wasting money on a home you won't be using 5 or so days a week.

I think it would be hard to find people willing to rent out a room to you since you wouldn't want to pay much because you're not even going to be there most days of the week. If they have an available room they're looking to rent, they're going to want to get the full value out of it such as by having someone live in it every day of the week, so you won't be saving much over getting an apartment on your own.

Do you have a car? What do you plan on doing with it while you fly out to work?
>>
>>18703942
I do not have a car and don't plan on getting one. I currently live 25 minutes by bus from a major US airport (probably a part of the reason why the hired me in the first place). Unfortunately my relationship with my family is strained and I'm friendless so trying to buddy up with anyone probably isn't going to happen.

I'm willing to pay full rent for the room itself because I understand that no matter where I am personally I'm still "occupying" the room. I'd mostly just view it as a storage unit. The thing I'd be looking to haggle on would be utilities. I mean if I'm only using water and electricity two days a week, I think it would only be fair to pay a smaller amount on those bills.
>>
>>18703987
Yeah, if you only expect to haggle down the utility bills, that shouldn't be much of an issue. I know that my mother's employer also has several rent houses they rent out to people, but their main business uses two buildings and one room of a rent house, so the tenants of that rent house only pay 75% of the utilities.

If you don't have anyone you can stay with, and you don't want to get a car, the only other thing I can suggest is to look for hostels in your area. Depending on the cost of rent versus the cost of a hostel for 3 nights a week, 4-5 weeks a month, you could save money even if you also rent out a storage unit for the things you don't want to take with you. Although, there's the issue with transportation since you don't have a car, that might not be feasible, either.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.